Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’ve listened to an hour and it’s alright so far. Mainly just been background and fun Raimi stories up this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah idk the hosts don’t seem very into the movie or the podcast and they have some, I would say, uncharitable takes on the film (not the icky Romani culture stuff, there’s totally room to criticize that). I’m okay with not liking the film, but they seem like weird guests for the ep. Seems like it was kinda last minute according to the recording. Maybe the boys should have just done a solo ep.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’ve been listening to that Ghost Church podcast on spiritualism that they mentioned and I have no idea why she didn’t talk about that more during the séance scene discussion. Not terrible but probably not as good an episode as this movie deserves. “The character did an amoral thing so I lost all interest in this horror movie” is a particularly dull way to discuss something. I like those ladies fine but yeah, maybe a poor fit for this one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Episode was alright. I could definitely see a version of this episode where the guests more matched the high energy of Drag me to hell. The Romani aspects aren’t great, but you can tell Raimi just wanted a witch and wasn’t too concerned about background. She’s gross because shes a witch lady. Like they said, probably should have just made up some weird religion.

There was more discussion on the morality and messages than I think the movie cares about. It’s just a lady version of Ash experiencing deadite stuff again. Fun movie.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I haven’t seen DMTH since the theater, but my memory of it is that her eating disorder was more central to the film, thematically. It gets touched on a bit in the podcast but I was surprised how little they discussed it. Maybe it’s because I loved the film, but it feels like the guests did a very poor point of explaining their reasons for disliking it (beyond the very valid critiques of the villain). It just ended up not quite being the discussion that DMTH deserves.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
One of the ladies seemed like she enjoyed the movie at least, just saying Romani stuff bothered her.

I’m jealous on seeing DMTH in theaters. I watched it for the first time this past fall when some friends and I put a horror marathon on. After the fifth conjuring universe movie, Drag was so refreshing. I missed that it was a Raimi film and was wondering how it was so fun and goofy after that initial car fight. Makes so much sense now.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

MokBa posted:

I haven’t seen DMTH since the theater, but my memory of it is that her eating disorder was more central to the film, thematically. It gets touched on a bit in the podcast but I was surprised how little they discussed it. Maybe it’s because I loved the film, but it feels like the guests did a very poor point of explaining their reasons for disliking it (beyond the very valid critiques of the villain). It just ended up not quite being the discussion that DMTH deserves.

They discuss it like it’s an theory about the film. But my memory is that the movie literally brings it up or at least gestures towards it. Weird tone this entire episode.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

checkplease posted:

There was more discussion on the morality and messages than I think the movie cares about. It’s just a lady version of Ash experiencing deadite stuff again. Fun movie.

The movie has multiple scenes where Christine compromises her integrity to curry favor with assholes (bank manager especially but also Long’s parents). It definitely is purposefully drawing a picture of why she might be damned in a way that the Evil Dead movies do not.

Sam Sanskrit posted:

They discuss it like it’s an theory about the film. But my memory is that the movie literally brings it up or at least gestures towards it. Weird tone this entire episode.

Naw, it’s a straightforward reading but is not mentioned directly and is still a complete movie without it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Eggnogium posted:

The movie has multiple scenes where Christine compromises her integrity to curry favor with assholes (bank manager especially but also Long’s parents). It definitely is purposefully drawing a picture of why she might be damned in a way that the Evil Dead movies do not.

Naw, it’s a straightforward reading but is not mentioned directly and is still a complete movie without it.

Yeah I don’t disagree that she makes many a terrible choice (lol at just killing a cat). I’m saying there is a connection to Ash growing as kind of a jerk too. Albeit a much more charismatic one with heroic deeds. In Army of Darkness Ash is super arrogant and kind of sleazy with the girl (just pillow talk). He lies often and does nearly abandon everyone to their fate. Of course he makes the right choice in the end.

Christine is obviously worse and does not have any selfless heroic deeds. So she’s kind of an Ash that just makes worse choices. She’s arrogant and gets tortured all the same. But ultimately she likely would have just gone through the time portal and not fought a skeleton army.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I read that movie as less “she’s a terrible person actually” and more about how bad decisions tend to snowball

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think people get too hung up on whether or not a character’s horror movie transgressions are deserving of the punishment they get inflicted with. This is a genre where if someone is rude in the first act we expect them to be dead by the time the credits roll. I don’t think her one selfish action deserves a literal eternity of torment, but it makes perfect moral sense in a horror movie. Trying to puzzle out if a fictional character “deserves it” seems like an odd way to watch a movie to me. It’s also weird to only being able to relate to a character if they completely match your morality and decision making.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I think people get too hung up on whether or not a character’s horror movie transgressions are deserving of the punishment they get inflicted with. This is a genre where if someone is rude in the first act we expect them to be dead by the time the credits roll. I don’t think her one selfish action deserves a literal eternity of torment, but it makes perfect moral sense in a horror movie. Trying to puzzle out if a fictional character “deserves it” seems like an odd way to watch a movie to me. It’s also weird to only being able to relate to a character if they completely match your morality and decision making.

I think that's fair for the most part (I never got the pearl clutching about that one scene in Jurassic World for instance) but Drag Me To Hell is much more explicitly about moral choices

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

morestuff posted:

I think that's fair for the most part (I never got the pearl clutching about that one scene in Jurassic World for instance) but Drag Me To Hell is much more explicitly about moral choices

Do you mean the Jurassic World scene where the babysitter gets the most brutal death in the whole movie? I think that was just funny because there are other people far more deserving of bad deaths, and she's, like...fine. But my god does she get a rough death. But the same could be said for Richard Schiff in The Lost World. Perfectly nice guy who saves their lives, and then he gets ripped in half by two T-Rexes. So it's not really a series that punishes the deserving.

Hell, Hammond dies of natural causes. That monster.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Do you mean the Jurassic World scene where the babysitter gets the most brutal death in the whole movie? I think that was just funny because there are other people far more deserving of bad deaths, and she's, like...fine. But my god does she get a rough death. But the same could be said for Richard Schiff in The Lost World. Perfectly nice guy who saves their lives, and then he gets ripped in half by two T-Rexes. So it's not really a series that punishes the deserving.

Hell, Hammond dies of natural causes. That monster.

Yeah, the babysitter. It just read like Joe Dante looney tunes stuff to me because of the way it escalates, but it really bugged some people. It's one of the few moments in the movie that actually shows a pulse though

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

I feel like there is a scene where the boy friend is clearly about to talk about it but bites his tongue or is interrupted or something. Which I guess stops short of a direct mention but I would definitely consider it textual at that point. That being said this is my half remembered recollection of not having seen that movie in years! But I definitely walked out of the film all those years ago with the impression that it was in there somewhere.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah and the Raimi quote that Griff reads at the start literally spells this out. It's a really lovely and unfair fate, and that's just how this particular story goes. The same is true of countless TALES FROM THE CRYPT stories (which were clearly a huge influence on Raimi).

Also, probably best to not look up what Alison Lohman is up to now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im really digging this show tho there'll always be a part of me annoyed at podcasts that go out of their way to make their ads more seamless. Like, are they pressured to do that or choosing to? WHM has ad music, and with other podcasts there's some attempt at a discernable border whether or not it's wink wink to help you skip...the way these two just try to ease into an ad as conversationally as possible is kinda obnoxious

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I agree. In other news, the Fosse miniseries is beginning. One of the best directors they've done, and they've done some really great directors!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im really digging this show tho there'll always be a part of me annoyed at podcasts that go out of their way to make their ads more seamless. Like, are they pressured to do that or choosing to? WHM has ad music, and with other podcasts there's some attempt at a discernable border whether or not it's wink wink to help you skip...the way these two just try to ease into an ad as conversationally as possible is kinda obnoxious

I don’t know, I think Blank Check makes it pretty obvious when they’re going into an ad. Hard stop in the conversation, followed by, “David!” And that’s when they don’t do something really crazy like have a phone call or knock at the door. Sure, there’s not music playing to tell you the ad is still playing, but it’s not that hard. I just hit forward 30 seconds a few times, and if I hear a guest voice, or chat that sounds like it’s about the movie, I go back. The guest is basically never in the ad.

Like, he’s talked about how people get annoyed about how obnoxious his ad reads get, and he said something like, “Why do you think I do that? I do that specifically so you know it’s an ad!”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm a new listener, only been dipping into some of the Raimi eps, so I guess it gets more discernable with repeated listening. I was just initially annoyed since I'm used to podcasts that demarcate that poo poo way clearer (cuz...why not). I'm getting the hang of it now, tho I wasnt totally sure how long they tended to be until recently.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm a new listener, only been dipping into some of the Raimi eps, so I guess it gets more discernable with repeated listening. I was just initially annoyed since I'm used to podcasts that demarcate that poo poo way clearer (cuz...why not). I'm getting the hang of it now, tho I wasnt totally sure how long they tended to be until recently.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. I’ve gotten to the point where, when I hear a pause and, “David!” I reach for my phone.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I think it a clever way for them to do it. They turn the ads into silly skits. I still skip over them because my main issue is that the ads end up being way too long. It becomes incredibly obvious when an ad is starting after you've listened to the show for a bit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also i gotta disagree with the boys and say i loved the Kennedy-esque crooked politician in Darkman. His deliveries stick with me like every part of that memetic rear end movie.

YAAAA CAAAAANT

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What are best Fosse to watch? I doubt I’ll be able to get to all of them in the near term. But picked up all that jazz at least.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m still catching up on Raimi and just watched For Love Of The Game. What a turd that was lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

checkplease posted:

What are best Fosse to watch? I doubt I’ll be able to get to all of them in the near term. But picked up all that jazz at least.

I mean it’s four movies but yeah go out of your way to watch All That Jazz and Cabaret

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m still catching up on Raimi and just watched For Love Of The Game. What a turd that was lol
This and Oz are the ones I've yet to see and assume there's really no point in seeing.

Best Raimi film imo is still The Hudsucker Proxy (followed by Darkman). Watch that poo poo. Raimi through and through, the soul is as much his as the Coen's if not more.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah Hudsucker was one of two Coens I’d never seen and it definitely has both their and Raimi’s DNA all over it. Incidentally I’ve also been saying “buddy” a lot more since I’ve seen it. Such a blast.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Raimi shooting Costner pitching (who did all of the pitching which is absolutely loving bugnuts) is worth the price of admission, not to mention the greatest moment in Lame White Dude history where Costner stuff white bread into a glass of milk and eats it with a spoon. Ten stars.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It has real comfy bad 90s movie on TBS in the afternoon energy, so there’s that too if you’re in that kind of zone

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Pair it with Bull Durham to make yourself sad at how boring Costner got during the 90’s.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I mean it’s four movies but yeah go out of your way to watch All That Jazz and Cabaret

Oh thought it was a lot more for some reason. Agreed 4 is easy enough, but thanks for highlights.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Musicals are a huge blind spot for me because, to be honest, most of the ones I've seen or even just seen ads for, don't do it for me at all. I am going to make it a point to watch these 4 movies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Five actually :eng101:

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1536139319081156609?s=21&t=1yNHy33GLwZqYkSs7rP-2A

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

All I know about Cabaret I learned from The Muppet Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmRsIp3XB1Q

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It’s 5 for Fosse I always forget about Lenny lol

Also they should do Herbert Ross as mentioned on this episode, I’ve accidentally managed to watch like three of his films in the past month and it’s a real odd filmography

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lenny is good and Star 80 is not despite the bugnuts production backstory. Never got around to Sweet Charity

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Weird I thought I heard Griffin say they weren’t doing a Lenny episode and I was confused as to why they’d skip it

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
I think they said they had considered doing a Lenny Bruce special on the patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Thatoaklandkid posted:

I think they said they had considered doing a Lenny Bruce special on the patreon.

That makes a lot more sense. It seemed crazy to skip Lenny because it’s a big part of the plot of All That Jazz.