Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I need to install a fast charge outlet in my garage. I have to double check, but I think Illinois subsidizes this. I have a regular Subaru Forester that I plan to keep and would use for long road trips. Any electric car I get has enough range to cover my daily commuting. I'm willing to commit to the extra upfront costs now to switch to EV. The feds also provide a $7,500 credit on most EVs right now, which is going to help offset a lot of these additional things I need to do.

If you are looking at a leaf, your commute can't be all that long? You can get a decent amount of range from even a 120V outlet overnight if it's within your commute needs. At 12A, you can get 4mi/hr of range on almost any EV with an efficiency of 300wh/mi or less, which includes smaller vehicles like the leaf, ioniq, bolt, etc. Overnight that'll get you 50-60 miles of range so if your commute is less than 20 one-way 120V is fine as an interim thing. Just be sure to replace the outlet you'll be using for it so that you're drawing 12A from something modern with good contacts and not a cracked loose receptacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of the most potentially terrifying things I saw was at a 4th of July event, where a parent gave their 3-4 year old what looked like an M-80 or something similar to throw, but instead they started shaking it like a sparkler. It was slapped out of their hand just in time, but there was a moment where I thought I would see a kid blow his hand off

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My mother never let me near anything more powerful than a sparkler or one of those popper things you throw on the ground because she was convinced I’d kill myself.

And she was probably right.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I spent time as a child with a buddy blowing stuff up in the woods. My parents didn't know, it was intensely stupid and dangerous.

Worst that happened is I broke his nose a little bit because he kept shooting me with an air rifle.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Someone I know shared a helpful tip on FB that you could stick a sparkler handle into a carrot to give little kids something easier to hold onto than a thin wire. Or you could not give a baby a sparkler? Crazy, I know.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Qwijib0 posted:

If you are looking at a leaf, your commute can't be all that long? You can get a decent amount of range from even a 120V outlet overnight if it's within your commute needs. At 12A, you can get 4mi/hr of range on almost any EV with an efficiency of 300wh/mi or less, which includes smaller vehicles like the leaf, ioniq, bolt, etc. Overnight that'll get you 50-60 miles of range so if your commute is less than 20 one-way 120V is fine as an interim thing. Just be sure to replace the outlet you'll be using for it so that you're drawing 12A from something modern with good contacts and not a cracked loose receptacle.

My normal commute would be 40 miles round trip, but some days it could be like 100. I could always keep using my gas car and my wife could use the electric in the mean time. Her commute is anywhere from 5 miles to 30 depending if she goes to the office or not.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've been lighting piles of fireworks off every year for over 15 years and thankfully still have all my fingers. Just don't be a moron and respect it's a giant box of loving explosives and you're most likely going to be fine.

I did a little show at the lake this weekend. Liquid nailed everything down to OSB and had a great time. Everyone around raved about it so it's nice to be able to give people some enjoyment. I don't really gently caress with mortars anymore tho.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

I spent time as a child with a buddy blowing stuff up in the woods. My parents didn't know, it was intensely stupid and dangerous.

Worst that happened is I broke his nose a little bit because he kept shooting me with an air rifle.

Ah, BB gun wars. So fun and so so stupid.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

wandler20 posted:

I've been lighting piles of fireworks off every year for over 15 years and thankfully still have all my fingers. Just don't be a moron and respect it's a giant box of loving explosives and you're most likely going to be fine.

I did a little show at the lake this weekend. Liquid nailed everything down to OSB and had a great time. Everyone around raved about it so it's nice to be able to give people some enjoyment. I don't really gently caress with mortars anymore tho.

This. I have blown off so many fireworks it we are always safe and expect every kid who wants to even do sparklers will listen or they’ll lose privileges.

But holy poo poo are so many people disrespectful of what they’re playing with when it comes to fireworks.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

CannonFodder posted:

I think Toyota still has the credit because they were mainly selling regular hybrids and not Plug-in hybrids which would count towards the tax credit. I could be wrong, those RAV4 Primes sold really well.

GM, Tesla, and Nissan definitely no longer have the tax break.

Anywho, I drive a Kia Niro EV and I read and post in the AI EV thread, it’s a great resource.

Edit: saw your other post that this is a recent thing for Toyota

Nissan still has the tax credit.

Regular hybrids don't count. Plug in hybrids have a tax credit and count towards the 200k vehicles before the tax credit goes away.

One day, someone will fact check themselves before posting. But that day is not today.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Braksgirl posted:

Someone I know shared a helpful tip on FB that you could stick a sparkler handle into a carrot to give little kids something easier to hold onto than a thin wire. Or you could not give a baby a sparkler? Crazy, I know.

Cut to: kid with carrot/sparkler combo in mouth.

Silly Burrito posted:

As somebody that still plays airsoft in their 40's… :hmmyes:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

He ended up making a bunch of shithead ROTC friends by senior year of HS and I never talked to him after that. Last I heard he had joined the military in 2000.

Owned.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
We'd have airsoft gun fights in houses under construction in the wealthy neighborhood nearby. It was great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

My normal commute would be 40 miles round trip, but some days it could be like 100. I could always keep using my gas car and my wife could use the electric in the mean time. Her commute is anywhere from 5 miles to 30 depending if she goes to the office or not.

Also, if you do end up with a 200+ mile range vehicle, it's pretty easy to build up "buffer" on the weekend when you're not commuting as long as you're not running tons of errands. Starting the week close to 100% means a commute of 100 miles one of the days just means that for the rest of the week you'd be in the 30-70% battery range rather than 60-100% and then it'll get back to 100 on the weekend.

And there's always the option of hitting a DC fast charger on a long commute day too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

My mother never let me near anything more powerful than a sparkler or one of those popper things you throw on the ground because she was convinced I’d kill myself.

And she was probably right.

same, my first time doing fireworks with friends after high school I finally understood why she was so concerned

Android Apocalypse posted:

Aw Toyota doesn't have the tax credits anymore? I was kinda eyeing the RAV4 Prime to replace my 2002 Highlander.

the phaseout doesn't start until Oct 1st when the tax rebate gets halved so you do still have some time

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 6, 2022

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

We'd have airsoft gun fights in houses under construction in the wealthy neighborhood nearby. It was great.

Hell yeah. My friends and I were into Rainbow Six for a brief moment in the 2000s and we bought us some Airsoft guns to do our own tactical ops bullshit in real life. It was fun for a while.

Airsoft guns make great movie prop guns as well if you paint over the orange nib at the end of the barrel, which makes it all the more stupid that a gun that could fire a live round was used on that Alec Baldwin movie.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Scored me a free brand new entertainment center, guys selling his house and had a yard sale over the weekend. Stuff that didn’t sell was sitting on the front lawn, up for grabs, so my drunk rear end dragged it in last night. Just in time too cause a dump crew is here to haul everything else away.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh hell yeah this is going to be great.

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/1544728131403218945

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hell yeah we did the same. I have a scar on my ring finger from rounding a corner and spooking someone on the other team and took a shot from their CO2 powered pistol at point blank range in the hand and the airsoft BB embedded itself into my finger. Squeezed it out like a giant zit.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Minnesota only allowed sparklers for a long time, so that was about it for us.

Semi-related to sparklers - on the last day of school my friends would stay over and we'd burn the Christmas tree that had been drying outside for months. At one of those get-togethers my mom busted out the sparklers to use them up and clear drawer space. One of my friends (friends since first grade, he hated his family and spent as much time at our place as he could and absolutely loves my parents to this day) lit his and said "oh boy, a sparkler" in the flattest, most bored voice possible. With absolutely perfect comedic/karmic timing, a cecropia moth* started flying around him to check it out, which he responded to with flailing and high pitched screams.

Conservatively that was 22 years ago, and he still gets poo poo from my parents about it to this day.

*for reference, the moth in question:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1544730616431841281

starting to see why they didn't want to cooperate with the investigation

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Since when to they need permission to shoot someone?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Kalli posted:

Yeah me too. My friends and I had the Anarchists cookbook. Our favorite treat from it was to make napalm by dissolving styrofoam peanuts in gasoline. We would dip tennis balls in it (like Achilles mom did, so the part that you hold onto doesn’t get dipped) and light them on fire. We also tried really hard to get thermite and aluminum to blow up

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Guze posted:

Since when to they need permission to shoot someone?

They couldn’t get close enough for a paper bag test

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone got a concise article or twitter feed about what the hell is going on in the UK? I just keep finding bits and updates, but dont know the lead up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

Anyone got a concise article or twitter feed about what the hell is going on in the UK? I just keep finding bits and updates, but dont know the lead up.

My quick understanding of it is Boris promoted some dude who was just accused of molesting two dudes at a party, and has a history of groping dudes.

As this is the millionth Boris Johnson scandal and involves the crime of having promoted a gay dude, his coalition has melted down immediately. However due to having just finished an election, they got wonky gov bullshit to do before they can call another one and officially throw him out.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah me too. My friends and I had the Anarchists cookbook. Our favorite treat from it was to make napalm by dissolving styrofoam peanuts in gasoline. We would dip tennis balls in it (like Achilles mom did, so the part that you hold onto doesn’t get dipped) and light them on fire. We also tried really hard to get thermite and aluminum to blow up

Did you ever shove a bunch of match heads into a tennis ball? That sounded incredibly time consuming but also rad as hell.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

swickles posted:

workers have discovered the power of collective action and have seen results from strikes around the UK and success is breeding success. They're working to undo pay cuts undertaken during COVID and also increases.

edit: or is something else going down

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Neil Armbong posted:

workers have discovered the power of collective action and have seen results from strikes around the UK and success is breeding success. They're working to undo pay cuts undertaken during COVID and also increases.

edit: or is something else going down

37 people have resigned in the last four hours, and as Kalli said above its mainly from the sex scandals and not the general ruination of the country, though this seems to be the thing that breaks him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of it. Should've stuck to underaged girls like every other British nonce.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Technically in the UK you don't really vote for the prime minister, but just for your party. The party can replace its own PM. However, he just survived a no-confidence vote within his party, and they can't do another one for a 12-month period according to their own party rules. Which of course they can change. He can also choose to resign - the media will represent this as him being "forced" to resign, perhaps if he cannot find anyone within his party willing to be appointed to fill out his cabinet as his officers are all bailing out - but he could also just refuse to go and probably nobody can force it.

"Members" of the party are people who pay for membership, not the general electorate. If Johnson steps down, it'll be the party that holds a series of secret ballots to gradually eliminate candidates until they have two left to vote on. So, a new PM could be put in place without the consent of the wider voters. That said, typically such a leader would hold a snap election, to confirm that they have the support of the public. Political parties in power typically try to call general elections at moments that they feel are most advantageous to them, e.g. when they're popular. They're not forced to have an election until seven years have passed from the last one. Because most elections are called rather than planned, the election cycle is way shorter - from calling the election to holding it is just a few weeks.

Here's a decent rundown:
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/can-boris-johnson-be-forced-out-how-is-successor-chosen-2022-07-05/

One last twist: the last remaining official power of the monarch is to dissolve parliament, e.g. to force an election. This is incredibly rare, but my understanding is that the old biddy hates Johnson's guts so I wouldn't put it past her.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah me too. My friends and I had the Anarchists cookbook. Our favorite treat from it was to make napalm by dissolving styrofoam peanuts in gasoline.

Oh god this reminded me of when my friend tried to do this and when they lit it up it spilled, directly toward the gas can that they had been using to make it and had very wisely not moved. He burned the poo poo out of his arm flipping the table over to keep that from happening.

My only anarchists cookbook story is that as a dumb kid for a year or so I always kept screwdrivers on me and I went around slowly disassembling my school.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp just got the “I don’t see this working” text after a really awesome weekend so that’s fuckin cool I guess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

T-Square posted:

Welp just got the “I don’t see this working” text after a really awesome weekend so that’s fuckin cool I guess

poo poo, I'm sorry man. I doubt it was anything you did, though. Some people have an intense fear of commitment, or think people they like would be better off without them, or have unattainable/unrealistic expectations, etc.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

T-Square posted:

What't the context of this text? Lady friend? Work? Your artificial heart?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

T-Square posted:

poo poo, sorry to hear. I've had that happen too. A girl told me later that she was just going through a lot of poo poo at the time, so who knows what's going on with her. It's probably stuff in her life you have no control over.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

Oof. I remember what that feels like, although it’s been awhile. Stings like hell. Sorry goon friend :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

T-Square posted:

Sorry goon. I wish I got that conversation instead of the "I found evidence of you cheating" conversation I had to initiate while we were looking at wedding venues though so it could be worse.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

T-Square posted:

Sorry :( I know that’s a really lovely feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My parents let me play with fireworks, after training and rules that equalled what I got in handling firearms (severe, strict, safety-oriented, progressively more freedom as I got older).

So the first time I did fireworks away from the family with other dumb teens was one of the most horrifying nights of my life