Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

I got the white combo:

Only beef so far is that my old Fieldsheer had a pretty decent inside pocket for wallet+insurance things, and this has nothing unless you count where the chest armor goes lol

oh nice, mine must be slightly older since it was black only. does have a tiny velcro inside pocket though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Any recommendations on a backpack? Looking to get something with decent straps I could hook up on the bike and easily take it on and off with quick releases if possible. Or has straps I can clip a clip onto the saddlebag mounts to

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Any recommendations on a backpack? Looking to get something with decent straps I could hook up on the bike and easily take it on and off with quick releases if possible. Or has straps I can clip a clip onto the saddlebag mounts to

If you don't already have one look at a magnetic tank bag. I have a little Chase Harper one that can be used as a backpack when off the bike. I've never liked riding with a backpack on.

e: https://chaseharperusa.com/collections/tank-bags/products/450-tank-bag

It has backpack straps that tuck away in a compartment. Perfect size for just a run to the store for a couple items, or for the things you want to be able to access quickly on a ride.

e2: If you have an expensive paint job a tank bag could, over time, scuff up your paint. The solution to this is to not care about such things.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 25, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

all the mosko tank bags have harnesses for the bike that will allow you to use them as backpacks. the only one that wouldn’t look moronic as a backpack is their nomax though

my dad has one on his GSA and I like it, but too big for me imo

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Gorson posted:

If you don't already have one look at a magnetic tank bag. I have a little Chase Harper one that can be used as a backpack when off the bike. I've never liked riding with a backpack on.

e: https://chaseharperusa.com/collections/tank-bags/products/450-tank-bag

It has backpack straps that tuck away in a compartment. Perfect size for just a run to the store for a couple items, or for the things you want to be able to access quickly on a ride.

e2: If you have an expensive paint job a tank bag could, over time, scuff up your paint. The solution to this is to not care about such things.

It's a nice idea, I'm looking more for something I can easily quick release to the passenger seat. Like hell do I want to wear a back pack while I ride! I need to go to cyclegear and take a look this week really.

Basically I want to be able to take my current tail bag off and use a regular back pack that's more sturdy then my current bag. The saddlebag mounting brackets likely will be perfect for quick release clips, I just need to figure out some ideas.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You probably want a Kriega pack, they can have straps under the pillion seat, or can attach as a tank bag. They're really good.

https://kriega.com/sports/touring/us-20-drypack19

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
K, I'm an idiot. The way the chest protectors install, there's a Velcro strip to keep them in the upper part of the inner jacket lining, which does in fact make the bottom part of the same opening as the inner pockets, held closed with the outer Velcro flap. So that's sorted lol

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

BabelFish posted:

I'm considering buying an Alpinestars Halo Drystar, the temperature versatility would be really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA5axr-Syc

I bought this, it's great. It was very difficult to get in the UK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

You probably want a Kriega pack, they can have straps under the pillion seat, or can attach as a tank bag. They're really good.

https://kriega.com/sports/touring/us-20-drypack19

Does anyone have one of their backpacks that can speak to how feasible it is to tuck the straps to the body and use it as a rear bag without too much hacking/concern around dangling bits near my drivetrain?

I know their actual rear bags can attach to the small backpack which is really cool, but if I can save carrying two things on the bike, or wearing the backpack while I'm riding, then all the better.

I guess any backpack can be fixed to the pillion seat with enough creative strapping so it's probably a pointless question, but I'm thinking of something more fit to purpose.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

I'm considering buying an Alpinestars Halo Drystar, the temperature versatility would be really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA5axr-Syc

Wonder how the hell Ryan got one for 450 CAD, Fortnine's storefront lists them for 700 (or would if any were in stock)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats the current hotness for boots that are walk-around-able with ankle coverage and toe sliders?

I'm draggin hella toe in the corners on the Goldwing and my knee-high Alpinestars boots are not the best option, especially this time of year

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There are a couple of shorty boots that have toe sliders made by the usual Italian suspects - Dainese, Sidi, A*s - but anything with a toe slider on it is going to be more of a "race" boot even with the shorter height. Maybe look at a standard height vented track boot and carry some walking shoes in your side case.

How are you dragging toe on a goldwing without having ground the pegs down to nubs?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whats the current hotness for boots that are walk-around-able with ankle coverage and toe sliders?

I'm draggin hella toe in the corners on the Goldwing and my knee-high Alpinestars boots are not the best option, especially this time of year

Knee high? Are you in like motocross boots or something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I don’t know why I said knee high they’re like halfway up my calves. They’re alpinestars Supertechs

Also I’m dragging toe because the goldwing is secretly really good in the corners. That and the oem pegs I got don’t have curb feelers. Either because they never did, or because the PO removed them. I should look into that.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have Sidi Vertigo 1 boots.
They are pretty decent to walk in for up to 45 minutes or so. I have no trouble at all walking around a city centre i rode to, to take pictures and such.
I don't think they're in production anymore, but there is a new Vertigo version.

If you want something better for walking, i think you'll end up at sneaker like motorcycle shoes. There are shoes available that go over the ankle. but don't reach all the way to your shins.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Stupid humid and windy on the ride out yesterday afternoon, went with the Airwave jacket & pants combo, worked a treat. Cool to have gear that zippers together from the get go. I'll have to check my cold weather Technik ones to see if they connect, never thought of trying before now lol.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have a few questions for those of y'all that own the Tech Air 5 airbag vest. I did my first trackday with it yesterday, after originally buying it in November 2021 and getting a bricked model that I had to return to Alpinestars and exchange for a new one.

First of all, like everyone said, it is a huge loving pain in the rear end to get it on under the suit. I either had to take the suit entirely off between sessions, stuff the vest in and put it back on. Or, I had to ask some strangers to help stuff it down the back of the suit while I was wearing it and then pull it on. In 100 degree F temps it was exhausting just to get my gear on! I also had a new pair of A* GP Pro R3 gloves that have definitely not broken in yet and they were a chore to pull on.

Not a great device when you don't have family or friends going to trackdays with you. :(

If I had realized the Tech Air 10 was coming out, I honestly would've waited for that since the body suit seems much easier to manage with full leathers, and the additional protection around the hips seems great.

So, now my questions:

1) In race mode, which is supposed to be used at track days according to Alpinestars, I experienced this behavior with the LED panel. Upon putting the suit on, and fastening the strap, the Techair 5 boots up. The LED sequence follows the manual up until "System Check" (Solid yellow and solid green LED). At that point, it just remains in system check no matter what I do. My friend with the Tech Air 10 reminded me that in race mode it doesn't arm until you reach 30 or 40 MPH on the track-- which happens when exiting the pit lane. Fine, I'll believe that. However, when I would pit back in and park in my paddock space, if I immediately unzipped my leathers and looked down at the LED display, it appeared to be back in "System Check" mode (solid yellow and solid green LEDs). How can I tell if the vest actually fully armed?

I'm not riding on the track with my cell phone on me or the Tech Air app running, but the technical section of the app seems to indicate that the vest has been used for approximately the same number of minutes riding, so I guess it was working?

2) The night before my track day I loaded up a duffle with all of my gear (boots, helmet, leathers, Tech Air 5). That night I plugged in the vest into the charger and launcehd the app and it indicated my state of charge was at 100%. The next day, at the track I checked the state of charge after getting confused by the "System Check" display remaining on. The charge that morning was something like 32%. Is it likely that I accidentally had the magnetic fastener too close to the vest and that it was turned on in my bag overnight?

I tried plugging the vest into a wall outlet in the garage for about an hour between sessions and it seemed like it never exceeded the solid red + flashing yellow charge level, but I thought it should've charged faster than that.

TL;DR: Tech Air 5 documentation for "Race Mode" is ambiguous and it makes me scared that it was never armed while on the track. In the 100+ deg F conditions I definitely didn't feel in top shape. While I didn't have a crash or any near accidents, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Annoyed I didn't wait a little longer and buy the Tech Air 10 at COTA MotoGP like my friend did.

Edit: IDK what the deal with the charging was, but I plugged it in as i initially wrote this post and now it is fully charged. :iiam:

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 4, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I have a few questions for those of y'all that own the Tech Air 5 airbag vest. I did my first trackday with it yesterday, after originally buying it in November 2021 and getting a bricked model that I had to return to Alpinestars and exchange for a new one.

First of all, like everyone said, it is a huge loving pain in the rear end to get it on under the suit. I either had to take the suit entirely off between sessions, stuff the vest in and put it back on. Or, I had to ask some strangers to help stuff it down the back of the suit while I was wearing it and then pull it on. In 100 degree F temps it was exhausting just to get my gear on! I also had a new pair of A* GP Pro R3 gloves that have definitely not broken in yet and they were a chore to pull on.

:same:

Luckily I can get my suit on by myself, but yeah, I ask whichever unfortunate soul is next to me for help to get it off. I have those gloves also. They were concerningly stiff at first, but they're now my most comfortable pair.

MetaJew posted:

1) In race mode, which is supposed to be used at track days according to Alpinestars, I experienced this behavior with the LED panel. Upon putting the suit on, and fastening the strap, the Techair 5 boots up. The LED sequence follows the manual up until "System Check" (Solid yellow and solid green LED). At that point, it just remains in system check no matter what I do. My friend with the Tech Air 10 reminded me that in race mode it doesn't arm until you reach 30 or 40 MPH on the track-- which happens when exiting the pit lane. Fine, I'll believe that. However, when I would pit back in and park in my paddock space, if I immediately unzipped my leathers and looked down at the LED display, it appeared to be back in "System Check" mode (solid yellow and solid green LEDs). How can I tell if the vest actually fully armed?

You can't. This is why the Tech-Air 10 has a detachable LED status light you can mount somewhere else so you can see it while riding. Doesn't the app have a data logging/telemetry you can check to be sure it activated? To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. I have the Race version with an LED on my forearm, so I can see. It's never not activated. In the manual it warns the system might not arm during a formation or warmup lap, but even on an outlap going not especially fast, mine activates.

MetaJew posted:

2) The night before my track day I loaded up a duffle with all of my gear (boots, helmet, leathers, Tech Air 5). That night I plugged in the vest into the charger and launcehd the app and it indicated my state of charge was at 100%. The next day, at the track I checked the state of charge after getting confused by the "System Check" display remaining on. The charge that morning was something like 32%. Is it likely that I accidentally had the magnetic fastener too close to the vest and that it was turned on in my bag overnight?
Yes, that would be my guess. There should be a master power-off switch at the back you can use to avoid accidentally turning it on. I haven't used mine since my last track day ~3 months ago, and I checked it the other day out of curiosity. The LED status light did the 10 green flashes or whatever. Dropping 70% overnight means it must has been on. Check it tomorrow and see it doesn't happen again.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's time to put my RF-1200 to rest (it's only 8 years old and been crashed in once.) Any recommendations on a similar fitting helmet in the $300 range? I'm right between a medium and small. My RF is a medium with a thicker center pad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is a weird question, and I’m almost certainly sure the answer is “yes it’s fine”, but is there anything wrong with exposing a helmet to humidity and chlorine from an indoor pool for an hour?

I don’t mean like wearing it in the pool, just having it in a bag on the pool deck. I don’t think it’ll fit in the narrow lockers my pool uses, and I want to ride out instead of taking the car three times a week.

I could theoretically lock it up, but the neighbourhood gives me the distinct vibe that if I leave it locked to the bike for an hour, I come back and it’s full of cigarette ash or someone decided it was a beer receptacle.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You, sir, need a top case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That IS a legit suggestion, I just have a moratorium on new bike stuff for 2022 after reviewing my finances and money goals :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Should be fine.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Get a cheap helmet bag to throw it in if you're really concerned.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Yeah, Revzilla sells a Trackside bag for like $20 to hold a helmet

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

That kind of money can also buy a locking cable, to lock the helmet to the handlebars or something.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Remy Marathe posted:

That kind of money can also buy a locking cable, to lock the helmet to the handlebars or something.

some kinda jackal posted:

I could theoretically lock it up, but the neighbourhood gives me the distinct vibe that if I leave it locked to the bike for an hour, I come back and it’s full of cigarette ash or someone decided it was a beer receptacle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My DRZ also has a helmet lock built in, which I use all the time if I'm just running inside. I think for the lunchtime swims when it's more densely attended I can park next to the entrance and feel more at confident that some douchebag isn't going to poo poo in my helmet. The rest of my gear I can just throw in the locking panniers without a second thought.

Thanks gang. Less concerned about it getting damaged, more around being in a (notably excessively) humid environment. The moment I stepped inside I felt the wafting chlorine eating my eyebrows before stepping in the pool, so the only check was whether just the presence of that deteriorates helmet foam or something in a matter of minutes, which it doesn't sound like there's much issue with, so I'll just throw it in my little backpack duffel. Not sure a helmet specific bag would do more to keep it isolated from that kind of environment, but maybe an option for later down the road if I think the helmet needs extra protection for something else.

Thanks!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 6, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You could always stick it in a thin drybag like the exped ones if you don't want it to get damp.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have four thousand of these drybags from my kayaking excursions and I am instantly ashamed and massively embarrassed I didn't even think of this. Like no joking I just facepalmed and WTF'd out loud. This is obviously what I'll do, thank you again.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Find a pool in a neighbourhood where if you leave your helmet on your bike, it's still there unmolested after your swim.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Compromise: Lock the helmet to my bike, ride the bike into the pool deck.

Hey guys, does humidity and chlorine affect my chain?

Steakandchips posted:

Find a pool in a neighbourhood where if you leave your helmet on your bike, it's still there unmolested after your swim.

Joking aside, I do have another pool I go to where this isn't a concern and I have already locked my stuff to the bike. The choice of which pool I go to just depends on when open swim schedules are available. If the pool in New Crack Town is the only one open for lane swimming when I'm off work then I guess I'm going to New Crack Town :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

I have four thousand of these drybags from my kayaking excursions and I am instantly ashamed and massively embarrassed I didn't even think of this. Like no joking I just facepalmed and WTF'd out loud. This is obviously what I'll do, thank you again.
Past you was looking out for future you! :3:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I regularly left, in Stirlingshire, and now still do in Aberdeenshire, my helmet, jacket, gloves, GPS and GoPro on the bike while I go for a shop/to the gym.

No one has ever touched my stuff, let alone pour beer on it or put a cigarette out on it.

I forgot my keys in my old bike one time, and that too was fine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Helmet and gloves are such specific items that I doubt many people would just steal them out of opportunity. I often leave my stuff on the bike when in the city. The only times I'd really be worried is with drunks or in areas with high amounts of property damage, where people destroy stuff out of spite.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

It's definitely a tiny-grade risk most places, I feel like a bit of a tool whenever I'm meticulously locking everything away while parked next to a bunch of bikes with helmets and gear sitting out freely on them. I just can't get past the idea that one random rear end in a top hat could ruin my day and make it hard to get home safely and legally. It doesn't help that I've lived in a couple neighborhoods where anything that might be resold for $2 will not last for a few hours in plain view, it's just baseline caution for me now.

e; I'm thinking about the helmet mind you, I agree nobody wants to try and resell our smelly-rear end gloves. Not sure about jackets.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 6, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

Helmet and gloves are such specific items that I doubt many people would just steal them out of opportunity. I often leave my stuff on the bike when in the city. The only times I'd really be worried is with drunks or in areas with high amounts of property damage, where people destroy stuff out of spite.

What I worry about more is someone in the next parking stall accidentally bumping it off the bike, and me not noticing the scuff marks. That, or some looky-lou clowning around with my poo poo and dropping it. It's never actually happened yet (that I've noticed) but there's no accounting for people.

With my first bike, I was still living in an apartment, and one of my neighbors told me the guy who parked his truck next to me tapped my Sherpa with his bumper and knocked it over, then put it back up without leaving a note.

Conversely, on the Weestrom I left my keys in the ignition while I was having breakfast in Victoria and some helpful soul put some leaves over top of them.

In short Canadians are a land of contrasts

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 6, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

100% people in the US will gently caress with stuff just because they can. They'll sit on your bike. They'll poo poo on your bike. They'll knock your bike over and throw your gloves in a trash can just for the hell of it. It is difficult to convey how hostile the US is compared to most of Europe.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So what you are saying is, Americans just act like drunk people all the time? Because those are the things I would expect the drunks on our party mile to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"act", yes