Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Okay so fare collection is out but what about unfare collection?
100% wealth tax? 100% Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everyone over the age of 67 should have to pass a driver's test every single year and also present a notarized doctor's note saying they have the mental faculties to operate a vehicle and the doctor should be liable for anything the old driver does similar to bartenders and dram shop law

Yes but at 16 years of age

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

spacemang_spliff posted:

none of you is free of liberalism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

naw the worst are those but using disabled people as a cudgel for advocating for more cars.

ya'll🤞 it's 2022 👏 folx we need to have a serious discusion about everyone showing their asses with spect to the disabled and infirm loved ones. lets get it out now and face it, bikes and pedestrianism is ableism. cars ain't all that bad ya'll and its time you did some growing up ✔. it's vital for the lived experiences of disabled people to drive an suv and park it infront of every store at any time they need to. bike lanes hurt disabled people because they take away their important street parking. don't marginalize the disabled 🙏. it's not my job to educate you 👏👏

thanks ablebodied online twitter lib for protecting car culture :911:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Okay so fare collection is out but what about unfare collection?

How about a progressive tax system where you have to pay for every day of the year you don't take public transit, based on income?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

El Pollo Blanco posted:

There is not a single example of a cyclist hospitalising someone in the area lmao

omw to fix this right now

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/470457/air-pollution-from-cars-killing-thousands-of-nzers-yearly

Lmao just the air quality impacts of cars kill more people than covid each year

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

we need to speed the transition to electric cars so the air pollution only kills those who live near the power plant or the lithium mine

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just make the cars unable to go faster than 55

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

just make the cars unable to go faster than 55

This makes me think about how automotive forums 10-12 years ago had entire sections telling you how to defeat the transmission interlock so you could watch movies on the DVD system while driving.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This makes me think about how automotive forums 10-12 years ago had entire sections telling you how to defeat the transmission interlock so you could watch movies on the DVD system while driving.
If all cars on public roads were supposed to be limited to 55, it would be fairly easy to identify when that was disabled, and you could just make it a $10,000 fine or permanently take away people's licenses if they disabled it and were going above 60 or something.

This is pretty different from something like a dvd player where it's presumably not illegal for people to modify their own car to get around it and you would have no way of knowing.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Jul 6, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

... so you could watch movies on the DVD system while driving.

The fundamental communication here is that driving sucks rear end and people would rather do anything else while driving. So why not get rid of driving completely? gently caress

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Horace posted:

we need to speed the transition to electric cars so the air pollution only kills those who live near the power plant or the lithium mine

This is actually better from a societal standpoint. But it isn't feasible, nor desirable.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Horace posted:

the main pollutant cars and trucks put out is all the rubber and plastic nanoparticulates that slough off them during normal operation so you’d still have a problem

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

the main pollutant cars and trucks put out is all the rubber and plastic nanoparticulates that slough off them during normal operation so you’d still have a problem

Wouldn't it actually be significantly worse because EVs are so much heavier than ICE?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Wouldn't it actually be significantly worse because EVs are so much heavier than ICE?

it would!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mystes posted:

If you gave people tickets the second they went over the speed limit anywhere, it would absolutely work. The reason even countries like the netherlands don't do that is because drivers wouldn't like it.

It would actually be extremely stressful for drivers. In the netherlands the roads are designed so drivers naturally go slow and don't have to specifically pay attention to speed limits, but just having cameras everywhere would mean that drivers would have to pay attention to speed limits all the time or immediately get an expensive ticket. It would suck for them, but hey this is the i hate cars thread so I say gently caress them let's do it.

This is pretty much the system in China. No one speeds, but annoyingly enough many go under the speed limit. Which can be just as dangerous

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GlassEye-Boy posted:

This is pretty much the system in China. No one speeds, but annoyingly enough many go under the speed limit. Which can be just as dangerous

Hold on, let's go ahead and finish that thought. Dangerous because...

mystes
May 31, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Going under the speed limit is absolutely not "just as dangerous" as speeding.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*rear-ended at 120 kph*

"if only I had been going faster!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if a surgeon can only drive 55 mph and it makes them late to the ER to save a patient, is that not just as bad as a Tesla slamming into you from behind at 100 mph?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hold on, let's go ahead and finish that thought. Dangerous because...

imagine driving along at the speed limit and someone pulls in front of you going at less than half.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

imagine driving along at the speed limit and someone pulls in front of you going at less than half.

i would turn my indicator on to signal that I am going to move into the passing lane to make room for them to merge. then I would move into the passing lane to make room for them to merge.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

i would turn my indicator on to signal that I am going to move into the passing lane to make room for them to merge. then I would move into the passing lane to make room for them to merge.

sure if there is enough time for that.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"if there's time for that" applies to every traffic collision, I don't know why one party going slower would change that. If anything them going slow makes it easier to predict their movements and get yourself out of the way - as opposed to like someone merging onto the highway while going 85 mph off the ramp

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

"if there's time for that" applies to every traffic collision, I don't know why one party going slower would change that. If anything them going slow makes it easier to predict their movements and get yourself out of the way - as opposed to like someone merging onto the highway while going 85 mph off the ramp

Just gonna have to take my word for it! Unless you've also had experience driving in China.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Just gonna have to take my word for it! Unless you've also had experience driving in China.

lol

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

but I also hate cars! :D

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

your reaction time and braking distance would be significantly improved traveling at the speed limit rather than the customary 10 - 20mph over (regional variances allowed)

mystes
May 31, 2006

if a surgeon can only drive 55 mph and it makes them late to the ER to save a patient, is that not just as bad as a Tesla slamming into you from behind at 100 mph?
Plus, they might accidentally run over someone who was about to commit a murder and save a life!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I would simply slow down to allow them to merge rather than speeding up to pass them

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The problem in that scenario is that they're cutting you off, not driving below the speed limit.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

you should be oscillating between the min and max speed limits to keep everyone on their toes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if someone is going less than half my speed how would they get in front of me in the first place. somethings not adding up!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

if someone is going less than half my speed how would they get in front of me in the first place. somethings not adding up!

yeah people are just making up impossible physics scenarios to make China look bad. there’s a long history of this.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

lobster shirt posted:

Stop asking questions and just let me drive as fast as I want!!!! It's safe!!!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speed limits should also be no higher than 30 km/h anywhere on earth. Good for fuel economy, good for collision safety, bad for entitled "proletariat" babies

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i hate car(s)

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1544736161603756033?s=20&t=v2LhAvzSZ1mpci_M3OnR6g

mystes
May 31, 2006

For a second I thought this was some sort of drive through church for weddings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

The fundamental communication here is that driving sucks rear end and people would rather do anything else while driving. So why not get rid of driving completely? gently caress

the only thing carbrains hate more than driving is trying to make them less reliant on driving