Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gologle posted:

The Captain America book is really good so far.

Both are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Got around to reading the Jane Foster Thor book. Despite the comic primarily existing to loosely tie into the movie, it's a decent continuation of the Valkyries book. Did not anticipate them going to Limbo at the end, ie the demon dimension connected to X-Men's Magik, and the cause of the original Inferno crossover.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The most import thing about that issue was Ratatoskr showing up.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

howe_sam posted:

The most import thing about that issue was Ratatoskr showing up.

I did make a happy sound upon recognizing Doreen's good friend Rachel Oskar there.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I fuckn love Moon Knight. Have since the 90s. In the past 10 years he’s had some great runs, and this new one is no different. Such good comics.

Oh and that sex criminal guy still writes a good Daredevil.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Being Daredevil/Matt Murdock's girlfriend has to be the worst fate a woman can have

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Being Daredevil/Matt Murdock's girlfriend has to be the worst fate a woman can have

Black Widow came out of it okay.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Black Widow came out of it okay.

Well I mean, she eventually died too. But at least it wasn't because of dating Daredevil...

Or was it??

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Joe Fisto posted:

Be a bit more respectful. It's the Howard the Duck/Sex Criminals guy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Joe Fisto posted:

I fuckn love Moon Knight. Have since the 90s. In the past 10 years he’s had some great runs, and this new one is no different. Such good comics.

I am going through the complete Moon Knight reading list but ended up dipping into the new series anyway and yeah it's really good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Marvel Boy. The miniseries itself isn’t amazing because it’s all set up, but I love what it set up. A hero who genuinely doesn’t like humanity but is going to save us because it’s his job, and his definition of saving us may be broader than we would like. And his girlfriend/sidekick is a former supervillain. As in she stopped being a supervillain five minutes ago during an argument with her dad. That’s great! Where can I read the continuation of Marvel Boy’s story?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I read Marvel Boy. The miniseries itself isn’t amazing because it’s all set up, but I love what it set up. A hero who genuinely doesn’t like humanity but is going to save us because it’s his job, and his definition of saving us may be broader than we would like. And his girlfriend/sidekick is a former supervillain. As in she stopped being a supervillain five minutes ago during an argument with her dad. That’s great! Where can I read the continuation of Marvel Boy’s story?

You can't really. What that sets up isn't seriously followed up on. Noh-Varr shows up in Bendis' Dark Avengers, and some of his other Avengers stuff, but I don't particularily like him in that.

But you did remind of probably the best book with Noh-Varr in it that's also a good recommendation in terms of stand-alone action comics. Young Avengers volume 2 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Everyone should read that run of Young Avengers, full stop.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

After that, uh, Noh-Varr is kind of a mess. I think his next appearance is one of the Runaways/Young Avengers crossover books that I think was during Civil War. He does some stuff in Secret Invasion, then is in Dark Avengers. Then I think he showed up in Mighty Avengers and they try to change his codename and personality. Nothing really sticks. I'd suggest just skipping to Young Avengers by Gillen since that's closer to the personality Morrison wrote and Gillen expanded on the character. Then he was in Ewing's most recent Guardians of the Galaxy run, which is really good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ewing's GotG was outstanding, I just reread it the other day and that poo poo holds up beautifully

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does Oubliette show up in any of that?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Does Oubliette show up in any of that?

Young Avengers. She has more appearances not related to Noh-Varr through other titles.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Young Avengers. She has more appearances not related to Noh-Varr through other titles.

she and Midas have surprisingly prominent roles in Original Sin, IIRC

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That owns. I will admit, I am a little disappointed Marvel Boy ends up on a superhero team. I was really hoping to see those two characters with extremely hosed senses of morality doing heroism to an unwilling nation. If he's part of a team with regular heroes I assume that limits him

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, if what you're looking for is "more Grant Morrison Noh-Varr" you will be disappointed; that original mini stands entirely on its own. Even some of the Dark Reign bits he was in really don't do a great job picking up on the mood and tenor of the character; they have to file down a lot of sharp edges to make him play well with others.

That said, in Ewing's GotG he gets to dress like Adam Ant and that ain't nothin'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

At one point the Marvel Boy mini was supposed to be part of the Ultimate universe, but there's absolutely no follow up on that in any comic with the word "Ultimate" in the title.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought it was its own separate story that was supposed to be outside of any continuity. But then it got good reviews and they sort of shoehorned him into 616 and kind of pretended the big stuff he did didn't actually happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I thought it was its own separate story that was supposed to be outside of any continuity. But then it got good reviews and they sort of shoehorned him into 616 and kind of pretended the big stuff he did didn't actually happen.

See also: Sentry

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

To my admittedly fallible memory, Morrison's Marvel Boy was always generally intended to be its own standalone thing, but there were rumblings in fan communities at the time that it fit fairly well into the Ultimate Universe, and I think that sort of transitioned over time to "well it actually is an Ultimate book" because, well, no one was doing anything with the property. But then Noh-Varr showed up in the Young Avengers tie-ins to Civil War and Dark Reign, very probably because Bendis or someone else at Marvel went "this is a great fuckin' character, why are we letting it sit around and collect dust instead of using it in new stories" like Bendis did with the Sentry. Unfortunately those tie-ins were mediocre at best, so Noh-Varr just kind of flitted around in that group of characters for a bit and most people basically forgot about him because then the OG Young Avengers got brought back in the Children's Crusade, which was, ah, not good. Bendis tried using him in Dark Avengers but never really seemed to have any sort of idea of what he could do with the character in that book (which is, like, a hallmark of the Bendis era on Avengers), and no one else ever seemed interested in picking up on any of the changes he introduced.

Noh-Varr probably would have been mostly a footnote if Gillen hadn't decided to use him as, essentially, a super-hipster in his own Young Avengers book, and thank goodness he did because that book rocked.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine gives you a Noh-Varr and Fantomex story where they break into Weapon Plus to fight a sentient religion. Noh-Varr isn’t effected by its mind control because Kree children are taught an equation that disproves religion, and Fantomex is genetically incapable of believing in anything greater than himself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think both Noh-Varr and Sentry were just Bendis really liking those books and having a lot of personal leeway about what he was allowed to do with The Avengers, and he wrote a lot of really good Avengers books in that time (also some pretty bad ones, but at least not anything as bad as Geoff Johns' Avengers).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I think both Noh-Varr and Sentry were just Bendis really liking those books and having a lot of personal leeway about what he was allowed to do with The Avengers, and he wrote a lot of really good Avengers books in that time (also some pretty bad ones, but at least not anything as bad as Geoff Johns' Avengers).

It was a bit about Bendis liking them, yeah, but in interviews he and his editors were always talking in terms of, essentially, IPs. Like, early on he'd say things like "Look at DC. They take their most popular characters and put them in the JLA, right? So people buy that book. Now look at the Avengers. Who are Marvel's most popular characters? Spider-Man and Wolverine, right? And neither of those guys is an Avenger! Who the hell is picking up a book about the Black Knight and Sersi and Gilgamesh or whoever? Let's scrap basically the whole team and then put together a new Avengers team full of characters people like. And also Luke Cage, because he's who I like." He wasn't subtle about it! Dude was thinking in terms of IP as much as anything else, of raising the profiles of some characters and books.

Likewise, when the Sentry showed up in Avengers, he was very open in interviews about saying "why the hell would we leave this character just sitting around when we could be doing more things with them and selling even more books?" He said the same thing about the Hood when he decided to make that guy a crimeboss even though that pretty heavily missed the tenor of the original Hood mini. I usually try not to read too much into the individual motivations of a given creator, but Bendis has never been shy about talking about this stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

If I remember right wasn't that not really her and just part of the imaginary constructs?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Finally finished my pull list for the week, which was heavily X-Men focused. That said, Daredevil and Moonknight remain very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read some old Wolverine comics. Wolverine runs into Sabertooth, and for some reason Sabertooth is convinced he's Wolverine's father. Immediately after that, Wolverine runs into Nick Fury, and mentions that Sabertooth thinks he's his father. Nick Fury says he knows that, and he knows why, but he can't say because it's classified. And the topic is dropped.

what?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

that's every solo Wolverine storyline from like 1990 until Origin in a nutshell. bombshell into "that can't be true, but is it???" into "we can never be sure, due to top secret Canadian black ops top secrecy" into next issue: The [Sabre]Truth Revealed??! see you in 30, bub!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was a bit about Bendis liking them, yeah, but in interviews he and his editors were always talking in terms of, essentially, IPs. Like, early on he'd say things like "Look at DC. They take their most popular characters and put them in the JLA, right? So people buy that book. Now look at the Avengers. Who are Marvel's most popular characters? Spider-Man and Wolverine, right? And neither of those guys is an Avenger! Who the hell is picking up a book about the Black Knight and Sersi and Gilgamesh or whoever? Let's scrap basically the whole team and then put together a new Avengers team full of characters people like. And also Luke Cage, because he's who I like." He wasn't subtle about it! Dude was thinking in terms of IP as much as anything else, of raising the profiles of some characters and books.

They're doing exactly that with The New Fantastic 4 right now

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The X-man cometh posted:

No they aren't. That is a series set in the past, right after those guys were together in 1990.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The X-man cometh posted:

This is more of Peter David getting to write what he wants, coming off of his Maestro series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though yeah Marvel has been running 80s/90s nostalgia books out for a while.

Spider man alone had four or five

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Karma Tornado posted:

that's every solo Wolverine storyline from like 1990 until Origin in a nutshell. bombshell into "that can't be true, but is it???" into "we can never be sure, due to top secret Canadian black ops top secrecy" into next issue: The [Sabre]Truth Revealed??! see you in 30, bub!

There was also a really weird part where Wolverine and Puck travel back in time to the Spanish Civil War and it's made extremely ambiguous and confusing as to if they actually physically travelled back in time or if their modern minds went back into their past bodies, or if the latter happened to Puck and the former happened to Wolverine and then time changed around the events.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah that particular story is mired in all sorts of weird Puck continuity spinning out of Byrne having Puck reminisce about bullfighting with Ernest Hemingway in an issue of Alpha Flight. why that needed to be explored further, in a Lady Deathstrike/Wolverine story, is a great question.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cloks posted:

This is more of Peter David getting to write what he wants, coming off of his Maestro series.

If it gets us more delightful stupidity I'm all for it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I read some old Wolverine comics. Wolverine runs into Sabertooth, and for some reason Sabertooth is convinced he's Wolverine's father. Immediately after that, Wolverine runs into Nick Fury, and mentions that Sabertooth thinks he's his father. Nick Fury says he knows that, and he knows why, but he can't say because it's classified. And the topic is dropped.

what?

I think that was Chris Claremont's original plan for them, but for some reason it was never fully implemented despite being hinted for a while. I believe it was eventually brushed aside as the Weapon X project implanting false memories into them to control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Karma Tornado posted:

yeah that particular story is mired in all sorts of weird Puck continuity spinning out of Byrne having Puck reminisce about bullfighting with Ernest Hemingway in an issue of Alpha Flight. why that needed to be explored further, in a Lady Deathstrike/Wolverine story, is a great question.

Oh yeah, what's the deal with Lady Deathstrike? She says she has adamantium claws, but it doesn't look like she does? Her entire arms and hands and fingers just grow longer and become elongated robot arms for some reason. What's up with her little hat? Why does she want Wolverines skeleton if she herself if made of adamantium? What's going on with her?