Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So... did everyone misunderstand the FJ question or...??

It seemed very, very easy to me, but those were certainty some guesses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
New York wasent named after the town in England, but the Duke. That guess didn’t make any sense.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

davecrazy posted:

New York wasent named after the town in England, but the Duke. That guess didn’t make any sense.

And it certainly wasn't named after another US city named New York!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
New York: Name so nice they used it twice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

So... did everyone misunderstand the FJ question or...??

It seemed very, very easy to me, but those were certainty some guesses!

I'm from New England so it was a gimme for me. But yeah those were some odd guesses I thought the clue was straightforward.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Maybe they were trying to think of cities with similar, not identical, names.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I chalked "New York" up to "York"/"New York"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Absolute gimme for me but I grew up in the correct response and that sorta thing was hammered into us as kids.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The 1845 in the clue pointed to western cities, and I managed to guess it correctly but I had no clue of their relative sizes or the fact that one was named after the other. I'm not surprised two of them missed it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I guessed somewhere in Texas because of '1845' (which I think was when the state was admitted to the union) and was wrong. Seemed like a better guess than New York, though.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

1glitch0 posted:

And it certainly wasn't named after another US city named New York!

Did the clue specific “US Cities”?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Yeah the category was "U.S. Cities" and the clue was "This U.S. city now has 10 times the population of the other U.S. city for which it was named in 1845"

Totally stumped me, I probably would've written down New York too just to have something written down before time expired.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It just now occurs to me that, despite living on the West Coast my entire life, I think I've only ever been to the other Portland.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I didn't get it and I'm generally solid with geography clues.

It happens, you just don't have the right city come to mind quick enough even though you deciphered the clue to know exactly what you're searching for in the memory banks: It's probably going to be a city in a west coast state if 1845 is important (maybe slightly more inland like Colorado or Texas) and it's going to have the same name as a city out east, possibly with a "New" in front of it.

I started down by San Diego and worked my way north (since that was close to the gold rush I assumed CA was most probable, also given size odds are it was in that state) and didn't get to Oregon in time :shrug:

Poque posted:

Absolute gimme for me but I grew up in the correct response and that sorta thing was hammered into us as kids.

I think this is a factor we all forget sometimes. Any time Lizzie Borden comes up and no one gets it I'm shouting at the tv....having grown up in New Bedford, one town over from Fall River where she lived. Same with Nathan Hale (moved to Long Island in 3rd grade, they harp on the spy ring a lot) or now obscure poo poo about Florida.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I got the concept of the question pretty easily bit guessed Miami instead.

Florida also has a New York lol.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think the hallmark of a good Final Jeopardy is one that is potentially difficult but when you hear the correct answer, you just think "ah duh of course!" which is exactly how I felt when they revealed it to be Portland.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Dude rocking back and forth is distracting as hell.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

After many years of listening to KBOO.fm, I successfuly guessed Portland, Oregon.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Yungsheng almost definitely said 'Tristam Shandy' yesterday. I re-listened to it several times. Mayim failed to call him out (Alex has called people out for not saying Tristram correctly multiple times).

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah, I don't remember the clue/question but I distinctly remember him saying something definitely not correct and it going unaddressed. Sort of hated the way the winner gloated but they took out the Christian lady so fine for now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm behind but I would like to complain about that stupid sesame street final clue a few weeks ago.

WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU JUST RANDOMLY MENTION A "D" IN THAT CLUE IF IT HAD LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUESTION??

Mr. Hookshot and I were so lost we just started re-naming shows with Ds in the title. "Do you think it could be D*A*S*H?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel kind of dumb because I assumed it must have been an old detective show, where like the first scene was a victim who'd written a "D" in wet cement with his last breath or something.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

christmas boots posted:

I feel kind of dumb because I assumed it must have been an old detective show, where like the first scene was a victim who'd written a "D" in wet cement with his last breath or something.

That's a pretty funny concept.

I was thinking of shows were someone was arriving someplace, like a new town or school, but what adult would write their initial in the cement? Then I thought Sesame Street pretty quickly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

vandalizing wet cement is not something id expect to be shown on the likes of Sesame Street

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What a poo poo FJ question -- literally the only clue you have to go on is randomly spitballing bad things that have happened in DC. At least replace the Hoover building with something even tangentially connected to Lincoln, goddamn

EDIT: or maybe do something with the fact that the Hoover building began construction almost exactly 100 years later. My dumb rear end came up with this in two minutes, how are you professional clue writers so terrible at this

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 6, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been there and somehow it still didn't occur to me

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I guessed it but you're right that there's literally nothing in the clue to help you reason it out. I don't even think it's clear from the clue that they're asking about DC? Kind of terrible

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I guessed it but you're right that there's literally nothing in the clue to help you reason it out. I don't even think it's clear from the clue that they're asking about DC? Kind of terrible

It said J. Edgar Hoover Building. Even if you didn't know immediately that it was the FBI HQ, I'd imagine you could guess that based on who it's named after. And then from that you think of a notorious event that happened in DC

I don't know, I got it pretty quickly, but that was me thinking of the geography and layout of places since I've walked around there rather than working it out from the clue, but still I think there was enough there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It does seem to be a clue moreso for people who live inside the beltway. I whiffed on it since I didn't know the two were that close but I know the Hoover Building is FBI HQ. Most Americans I assume know Ford's Theater is in DC but not where specifically in the city.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Requiring the knowledge that the Hoover building is in DC is fair I think, but having a map of the city in your head is a little too much to ask. They needed another breadcrumb in there pointing to Lincoln or a political assassination, the latter of which they kinda tried with "notorious" but that was so vague as to be useless imo.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been there and somehow it still didn't occur to me

:same: I knew the city immediately from the building, but gently caress if I know the exact geography of where every stupid building is located. There's not a strong link between the two to make that lightbulb go off, Watergate was a loving fantastic guess since that seems way more applicable to the FBI, and despite having visited the drat theater for some reason in my brain it's not in DC. It would have been a way more logical clue if the building they chose was, say, the headquarters of the Secret Service, since it was established in July 1865, 3 months after Lincoln was shot, while the FBI wasn't created in its current form with that moniker until the 1930s. Even its predecessor agency wasn't created until decades after the assassination, so I can't see how they can expect people to make any sort of logical connection between the two buildings.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I too guessed Watergate Hotel and honestly don't know why one would know which one--that, or the correct answer--was the right one to pick. Poorly designed/written question. They could have added a qualifier like 'notorious from over a century before' or something.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:same: I knew the city immediately from the building, but gently caress if I know the exact geography of where every stupid building is located. There's not a strong link between the two to make that lightbulb go off, Watergate was a loving fantastic guess since that seems way more applicable to the FBI, and despite having visited the drat theater for some reason in my brain it's not in DC. It would have been a way more logical clue if the building they chose was, say, the headquarters of the Secret Service, since it was established in July 1865, 3 months after Lincoln was shot, while the FBI wasn't created in its current form with that moniker until the 1930s. Even its predecessor agency wasn't created until decades after the assassination, so I can't see how they can expect people to make any sort of logical connection between the two buildings.

Yeah I went Watergate because of the FBI and thought they were making an ironic connection. Oh well!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I guessed correctly. The keyword being "guessed."
There was no logical line of reasoning to come to that conclusion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One thing I've always liked about Jeopardy is that even when I don't know the answer there's almost always a clue that I can use to make a reasonable guess and tbh that's usually how I get the right answer.

I missed that last night :(

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i guessed right just b/c i click around google maps all the dang time and i remember looking up where ford's theater was once.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I found a Trivial Pursuit answer book at work and I am completely pumped for studying all the poo poo (like geography) that I don't know.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lets not overlook last night's other issue where both Bush and 90210 were accepted without asking for further info which seems much more lenient than normal.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
And yet another hosed up ruling (after not prompting for additional information, just staring blankly at the contestant yet again) needing to be adjusted later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I'm considerably behind but Enver got robbed on unchained, let the man come back.