Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
UI mods make playing on PC worth it imho. Most goons who play seem to be on PC anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I play on Xbox and I generally prefer the more relaxed atmosphere than on PC. But that’s just me. If add-ons sound good then play on PC.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I play on xbox, its pretty good.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I play on pc with a controller so I can use UI mods and I think this is The Way To Go. The game plays real well with a controller but it’s also really nice to set up the UI just so.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Has anyone tried to play on Steamdeck with UI mods yet? How painful is it to setup?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pryce posted:

Has anyone tried to play on Steamdeck with UI mods yet? How painful is it to setup?

Apparently you can just run Minion from the Linux side and point it to the right directory, it's just bit of a PITA to use Minion with no kb/m

Or manually drop them into the right dir with the file browser, of course

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
fyi, If anyone plays on Game Pass there is a perk this month for ESO. A ram mount, some face tattoo, and 2 crates.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

1glitch0 posted:

fyi, If anyone plays on Game Pass there is a perk this month for ESO. A ram mount, some face tattoo, and 2 crates.

That is also available from Prime Rewards and works with any version (PC, PS4/5, Xbox, etc.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s the best city/town for general convenience these days? I still go to rawlkha because the house and wayshrine are close and the writs are easy to do there, but it’s been so long since I looked into this that I’m sure there’s better options.

I’m not really into places like Vivec where you have to wind around in buildings

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

What’s the best city/town for general convenience these days? I still go to rawlkha because the house and wayshrine are close and the writs are easy to do there, but it’s been so long since I looked into this that I’m sure there’s better options.

I’m not really into places like Vivec where you have to wind around in buildings
What do you need in the vivec buildings, tho? All the important stuff is outside bank+crafting+horse+wayshrine. If you actually need the outfit station and bag merchant in addition to those, then I think rawlkha is probably the best. It's not the best at any one thing, but it's certainly the best compromise of everything. Personally I just do vivec and if I ever need on of those other non daily things I port to either my house or rawlkha.

Solitude is a mess.
Leyawiin has good crafting layout (not for me, but others think so) but the horse training is way outside and the outlaw's refuge is on the other side of the city and the banker is in a building some ways away, etc.
I don't know where everything is in the high isle city but it seems more pretty than convenient.

If you like rawlkha you might want to consider stormhold in shadowfen, it's a different layout some things are slightly more convenient some slightly less so depending on what you value it might be worthwhile. If you don't care about horse training Riften's not bad either.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Snowy posted:

Leyawiin has become my go-to, it has crafting, bank and guild traders close together near the wayshrine.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What do you need in the vivec buildings, tho? All the important stuff is outside bank+crafting+horse+wayshrine.

When I’m porting back to the apartment it isn’t fun to have to do that run and I think you have to zone out of it if I remember right. It’s not a huge thing but I remember not really liking the layout there in general, though it’s been a couple years.

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll check out Leyawiin next :)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

When I’m porting back to the apartment it isn’t fun to have to do that run and I think you have to zone out of it if I remember right. It’s not a huge thing but I remember not really liking the layout there in general, though it’s been a couple years.
That's fair. You don't have to zone out, but you do have to go through some doors. I never use that apartment as a port. I just use the wayshrine or port to someone in vvardenfell from guild/friends list, there's almost always someone there and 90% they're in vivec, and if not it's one extra wayshrine to get where I want.

Leyawiin apartment is less mazey, but you still have to go down some stairs and out the door.

For port convenience I doubt anything will ever beat the free home in Rimmen, the rest of Rimmen is pretty meh, though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Vulkhel Guard. The stable, crafting, job boards, quartermaster, guild halls, bank, docks, and bag merchants are all 30 seconds from each other. Plus there’s a Dolmen right next to it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Didn't know whether to post in the discord or here, so I'll do both: Can I get a guild invite for @SASinteres please?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there an addon that lets me skip the banker/merchant assistant's "how can I help you" menu?

Also I never got my prime goodies and I want those crates dammit :argh: gotta stack up those gems, there's good stuff in the store now

e- I forgot to mention I meant assistants

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 3, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
just got into this after years of considering it but never pulling the trigger.

But because im el cheapo im playing on xbox with gamepass. Pretty fun, i just like running/riding around the environments seeing new areas and the old oblivion and skyrim areas in better graphics is nostelgic and cool, yet to go to morrowind,

game is good. I got eso+ so i'll probably play this for a month, maybe two before dropping it and picking it up again in a year.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 4, 2022

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

drunkill posted:

just got into this after years of considering it but never pulling the trigger.

But because im el cheapo im playing on xbox with gamepass. Pretty fun, i just like running/riding around the environments seeing new areas and the old oblivion and skyrim areas in better graphics is nostelgic and cool, yet to go to morrowind,

game is good. I got eso+ so i'll probably play this for a month, maybe two before dropping it and picking it up again in a year.

Oh man get to Morrowind!

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Got this on steam sale and at first glance it looks really cool.

Can someone recommend me a class? I like solo PvP (and PvE to an extend, but I'm not planning on doing any high-end PvE, so I'm not too concerned about PvE performance) and I don't like stealth and pets. I'd rather play a tanky bruiser than nuke someone from orbit for a gazillion damage. From a first glance Warden looks really cool, but I'm not sure if you can (or should) play it without any pets. Templar and Dragonknight also look like naturally tanky options, but from what I've heard every class can do everything if you put your mind to it, so I'm a bit lost.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

To call Warden a “pet class”is stretching it, even if that’s how they are portrayed. The bear is merely something to distract enemies and do occasional bursts of damage. There is only one skill for it to do anything “special”, which can be ignored if you want IMO. They can be pretty drat tanky. I have a ton of fun with them. I also tried Templar and DK but they really don’t excite me.

Sorc using daedra is moreof a pet class than Warden, really.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Picked it up because the Morrowind expansion was seven bucks so why not, very happy I can make myself a super fat orc that bonks stuff with a giant axe

The UI is absolutely loving horrendous oh my god I can never find whatever is showing me a notification so I can get rid of it

E: also I liked that the mage talkin' lady kept trying to tell me about story stuff but could never keep up with me sprinting :allears: just tell me who to bonk, lady

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wuxi posted:

Got this on steam sale and at first glance it looks really cool.

Can someone recommend me a class? I like solo PvP (and PvE to an extend, but I'm not planning on doing any high-end PvE, so I'm not too concerned about PvE performance) and I don't like stealth and pets. I'd rather play a tanky bruiser than nuke someone from orbit for a gazillion damage. From a first glance Warden looks really cool, but I'm not sure if you can (or should) play it without any pets. Templar and Dragonknight also look like naturally tanky options, but from what I've heard every class can do everything if you put your mind to it, so I'm a bit lost.
Warden has a lot of animal spells, but only one, the bear, is actually around permanently. You can play a tanky sorc nuking people without being a petsorc. That said, especially currently, Dragonknight seems to be what you want, especially for PVP. Templar is always good for doing damage, tho. And yes, every class can be strong at any kind of role.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm also recommending dragonknight. You mention wanting to do solo pvp and probably overland pve (doing quests and stuff, nothing really advanced) so a DK is gonna have just about everything you'll need right there in the class skills.

Lots of good damage skills, a couple strong heals, and several skills to go from "squishy" to "how can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Error 404 posted:

I'm also recommending dragonknight. You mention wanting to do solo pvp and probably overland pve (doing quests and stuff, nothing really advanced) so a DK is gonna have just about everything you'll need right there in the class skills.

Lots of good damage skills, a couple strong heals, and several skills to go from "squishy" to "how can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence!"

:hmmyes: I like the sound of that one

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I play a DK tank for PvE but I’ve heard it’s also great in PvP too. I would try that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The funny part to me is I don't even like DKs, I just never clicked with the class, but they are what they are, and they're good at it.

Fake edit: MagSorcs 4 lyfe

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Big combat changes coming:
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/62493

Curious to see how this shakes out, gonna be controversial for sure

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Those are about as good of changes as you could expect without the total removing of light attack weaving. My main gripe was that most classes boil down to “get as many dots on your skillbar as possible”. The downside is this could lead to boring gaps in your skills where you’re just doing your spammable for way too long. The game needs more interesting mechanics and interactions between skills that aren’t dots, like building and detonating charges of a secondary resource or things like that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I still don't know if I'm light weaving well. I THINK I am, but maybe I suck at it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm inactive at the moment, but I'm down with the changes. I do hate weaving, as it is basically a bug that somehow is now permanent, and just not intuitive play. But making it less mandatory and overall combat less spammy is good. I hate games where I just starte at my bars.

Stuff like this is also probably all they can do since when they tried to kill it a while back, their forums exploded.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

xZAOx posted:

I'm inactive at the moment, but I'm down with the changes. I do hate weaving, as it is basically a bug that somehow is now permanent, and just not intuitive play. But making it less mandatory and overall combat less spammy is good. I hate games where I just starte at my bars.

Stuff like this is also probably all they can do since when they tried to kill it a while back, their forums exploded.

Let me be really clear here as a guy that first started playing ESO in January 2016: LA weaving is NOT and NEVER WAS a bug. It was always a feature of how the global cooldown for skills work since "basic attacks" were always separate from it. There are classes that were literally built around it like magicka nightblade and the old fragsorc.

People need to stop repeating this as some sort of truth from on high when objective reality is that the game was designed around it.

This isn't in response to you, personally, as much as it is to anyone who says this in general.

Also, all it's gonna accomplish is making DOTs weaker and people just spamming more lol

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Also, all it's gonna accomplish is making DOTs weaker and people just spamming more lol
Yeah it's balanced to keep the overall power the same, but have each DOT tick have less power, so missing one is less hurtful, and the longer uptime means it's easier to not miss one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Again for those in back.

WEAVING IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO NERD OUT OVER FRACTIONAL DPS IMPROVEMENTS.

In PvE at least it’s not necessary at all. .

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Let me be really clear here as a guy that first started playing ESO in January 2016: LA weaving is NOT and NEVER WAS a bug. It was always a feature of how the global cooldown for skills work since "basic attacks" were always separate from it. There are classes that were literally built around it like magicka nightblade and the old fragsorc.

People need to stop repeating this as some sort of truth from on high when objective reality is that the game was designed around it.

This isn't in response to you, personally, as much as it is to anyone who says this in general.

Do you have a link for that? I was curious to find out their original stance on it, but couldn't find anything. Just people talking on their forums, without Zenimax ever chiming in.

The closest I got was this thread, where they say ZOS said "official response is that this is NOT an exploit, devs are aware of it and are working on how best to address it", according to them. I couldn't find where the person got that "official response".

Not a big deal either way, just curious more than anything. If that person's summation was correct at the time, it sounds like ZOS was treating it as a bug to be resolved (although it's straight up a promoted feature these days, I don't think anyone is arguing that), but they were clarifying it wasn't an exploit or anything, so people were fine to use it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

xZAOx posted:

Do you have a link for that? I was curious to find out their original stance on it, but couldn't find anything. Just people talking on their forums, without Zenimax ever chiming in.

The closest I got was this thread, where they say ZOS said "official response is that this is NOT an exploit, devs are aware of it and are working on how best to address it", according to them. I couldn't find where the person got that "official response".

Not a big deal either way, just curious more than anything. If that person's summation was correct at the time, it sounds like ZOS was treating it as a bug to be resolved (although it's straight up a promoted feature these days, I don't think anyone is arguing that), but they were clarifying it wasn't an exploit or anything, so people were fine to use it.

They’ve been playing since January 2016, please don’t question them.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Are they just nerfing LA damage to minimize the impact? That's sort of how I interpreted that bit.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Big combat changes coming:
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/62493

Curious to see how this shakes out, gonna be controversial for sure

I haven't been playing for that long but I'm not so sure about how to feel about these. A lot of the fun of this game for me relative to others was trying to keep all my skills up while keeping up a rhythm of light attacks while also moving around and dodging, where maybe being totally perfect wasn't necessary - probably completely unnecessary, really - but there was always more potential the better I got. Reading between the lines the changes kind of seems like it'll just end up being a nerf for me... which again isn't the end of the world since 95% of the time you just steamroll through everything but it'll take some of the fun out of the gameplay, just for me perhaps.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr Newsman posted:

Are they just nerfing LA damage to minimize the impact? That's sort of how I interpreted that bit.
That's what they're saying is their intent, but it doesn't really match with what they're describing. They're saying they're lowering the value of light attacks to high end players so they make up a smaller fraction of their total damage. They're also saying they're making light attacks (at least before modifiers from sets/skills) to be the same for everyone. The logical result of this would be that for everyone below whatever threshold they're taking, light attacks will now be more powerful. So weaving becomes more impactful in taking someone from 5k to 15k damage, but less in taking someone from 90k to 100k.

I don't think we'll actually know until we see the numbers and until we see how sets are being changed.

The more I think about it, as a midrange player, I like the idea of these changes but I'm not so sure they're going to work out the way they think.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They're also decreasing skill DPS in exchange for increasing uptime and saying on average it's more damage per cast, but that means if you're used to keeping things up all the time anyways it'll just be worse. Maybe more time for a heavy attack or something :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is there any requirement for the vents lead beyond just going to the things and opening the prize at the end? I've done a few dozen now, which seems like a lot compared to what I'm seeing other people say their experience was.

If it's just bad RNG that's fine, I'll get it eventually. Just asking in case there's something stupid I'm overlooking so I don't do a few dozen more before I realize it.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 7, 2022