Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nice try but Boarman was good and sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

lol no he wasn't.

I mean unless you find white male privilege sympathetic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Natural 20 posted:

lol no he wasn't.

Please don't do this. Nothing good or productive will come of this line of thought.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
:sickos: :discourse:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He was at the very least, way more interesting of a character.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

time to rate my medieval feudal lords on a scale from most to least privileged.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sorry to derail from video game fantasy privilege talk- but how do you all keep the crests and weapons straight? Is there a shortcut to knowing which weapon goes with who? Or do you just have to kinda search out the names and remember?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Azure Moon was fine and I never understood why people bagged on it so much outside of a segment of the fanbase being reflexively in Edelgard's corner no matter what which, hey, fair.

Azure Gleam is dogshit though, lmao.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Edelgard is such a loving Karen, y'all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

lol no he wasn't.

???

I like that the fact his shortsighted beserker revenge strategy is going to inevitably fail and end in his death is a feature of the plan and not a flaw because Dimitri really wants to die. And I find that whole deal contributes to a compelling and likeable arc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chinook posted:

Sorry to derail from video game fantasy privilege talk- but how do you all keep the crests and weapons straight? Is there a shortcut to knowing which weapon goes with who? Or do you just have to kinda search out the names and remember?

Sell excess weapons for cash or smithing stones so your inventory doesn't clog up to the nines. For crests, both characters and weapons/equippables that are associated with a given crest have an icon to the right that shows what crest that is. The icon is usually greyed out but if you put a matching relic onto a person with a matching crest, it will light up instead.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chinook posted:

Play Three Houses where they make a bigger deal of each relic so you can just give it to the person whose paralogue gave it to you.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I apparently turned in my last Rapier for smithing stones because I didn't realize they were effective against both armored and mounted units and this both stacks and is necessary to get the maximum effectiveness achievement. Anyone know what chapters they drop in?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also worth nothing that relic weapons generally just aren't worth using until you get the forge upgrade that lets you "unleash" them.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eopia posted:

I apparently turned in my last Rapier for smithing stones because I didn't realize they were effective against both armored and mounted units and this both stacks and is necessary to get the maximum effectiveness achievement. Anyone know what chapters they drop in?

It's more level-range than specific chapter. All I get in Maddening is Zoltan/Brave even in the first chapters. I can't check right now but whatever zone has a Rapier for S-rank is where they'll be dropping on Normal/Hard.

Now if only I could find a drat Heavy Spear...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I find the idea that this character is stupid and a whiny baby makes him likeable a kind of weird take away

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
weird that arval apparently counts as a gremory, despite being male.

what's the excuse for linhardt, then??? :argh:

(also im once again saddened that arval/sothis unique special moves are locked to gremory class, despite the fact that they literally don't even have the ability to be in alternate outfits.)

(also also im doubly sad that arval and sothis dont get asura or enlightened one, respectively.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eopia posted:

Wait so to get that loving achievement you have to use a sword unit with axebreaker and a rapier and kill a Great Knight who is the final boss of a map? :psyduck:

Blaziken386 posted:

what's the excuse for linhardt, then??? :argh:

(also im once again saddened that arval/sothis unique special moves are locked to gremory class, despite the fact that they literally don't even have the ability to be in alternate outfits.)

(also also im doubly sad that arval and sothis dont get asura or enlightened one, respectively.)

Arval is enby I am pretty sure. I've only ever seen then referred to as they/them. Still hosed that gender lock exists but yeah.

Also yeah that is lame as gently caress. Rhea gets Saint as her own special class too.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Eimi posted:

Wait so to get that loving achievement you have to use a sword unit with axebreaker and a rapier and kill a Great Knight who is the final boss of a map? :psyduck:

Apparently! It's what I found when I looked up the outright victory achievement when I realized I still didn't have it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eopia posted:

Apparently! It's what I found when I looked up the outright victory achievement when I realized I still didn't have it.

That sounds awful, did they list what maps have a great knight final boss?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I just got that achievement by having regular Felix with probably an anti-axe battalion equipped merc a regular Armored Knight, using a rapier is definitely not required.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I think you just need 4 effective +s to get it. Which you can get pretty trivially with a high tier battalion+basically any weapon

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Guess the info I got was wrong, just needing an effective weapon and stacked other bonuses is much easier.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blaziken386 posted:

Arval is the same gender as Shez; they're a dark bishop if you pick guy Shez. And like Shez, can only get the incredibly useful Essence of Darkness ability if male.

I don't know why.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Yeah, just tested it. Got it with Felix with an Wingthresher against some wyvern lords. Relatedly, having maximum effectiveness against an enemy is absurd as the weapon was entirely unupgraded and the enemy just died in like 5 seconds.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Yeah, I think you just need 4 effective +s to get it. Which you can get pretty trivially with a high tier battalion+basically any weapon

How do you do without an effective weapon? Because the max I found was three. Class, Battalion, and xbreaker skills are +1 each. Where's the last one come from?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

How do you do without an effective weapon? Because the max I found was three. Class, Battalion, and xbreaker skills are +1 each. Where's the last one come from?

I had meant to type 'effective' weapon there, just a missing word.

I was confirming you didn't need a Rapier specifically, you could do it with any of them,

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Eimi posted:

Arval is enby I am pretty sure. I've only ever seen then referred to as they/them. Still hosed that gender lock exists but yeah.

Also yeah that is lame as gently caress. Rhea gets Saint as her own special class too.
oh, really? I figured arval was the opposite gender of shez and I'd never seen what their girl version looked like because clearly no one decided to play as a guy. That's neat. Gender locking classes is still Dumb As Hell, though. (especially because Sothis gets Essence of Light from priest, but Essence of Dark is locked behind Dark Bishop. How dare you prevent my minmaxing, game!!!)

Also: kinda ironic, having a computer program be non-binary :v:

Also also, re: effective weapons chat - the fact that you can recursively reforge weapons once they hit their limit is hilarious, because it meant I was able to give Marianne a +27 Defender's Tome (tome version of rapier)

who needs Dark Spikes, when you can just delete every horse and knight who looks at you funny?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Arval is the same gender as Shez; they're a dark bishop if you pick guy Shez. And like Shez, can only get the incredibly useful Essence of Darkness ability if male.

I don't know why.

Huh. That might just be a mechanical thing because I am pretty sure I have never heard them referred to as anything but them during gameplay? Weird.

Once again gently caress gender lock.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah I'm sure it's mechanical. Arval is only ever referred to in non-binary terms, while Shez very rarely is described as a guy/gal. It is even stupider than the regular gender lock, though.

Blaziken386 posted:

Also also, re: effective weapons chat - the fact that you can recursively reforge weapons once they hit their limit is hilarious, because it meant I was able to give Marianne a +27 Defender's Tome (tome version of rapier)

who needs Dark Spikes, when you can just delete every horse and knight who looks at you funny?

There is a limit, but the limit is +100, 50 might forges and 50 durability forges. A +100 rapier/defender's tome costs about 100k, but is also stupid powerful.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm curious if you can swap what gender Shez and Byleth are in NG+ to get the gender locked class abilities if you want to really minmax, or if you can't access say Falcon Knight class abilities with male Byleth anyway.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can. I'm rockin lady Shez with Essence of Darkness as we speak.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can. I'm rockin lady Shez with Essence of Darkness as we speak.

Really wish I'd thought to do that on this AG run because I am not paying any attention to story so that would've been nice. I plan to actually play my GW run so I'd think to play fShez again but getting essence of darkness is kinda crazy for asura I imagine.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know why.

Eimi posted:

Huh. That might just be a mechanical thing because I am pretty sure I have never heard them referred to as anything but them during gameplay? Weird.

Once again gently caress gender lock.

The implication is that Arval, an artificial creation, takes on the gender of the person used as their vessel. Their original self; Epimenides is male, and is referred to as such, but Arval is implied to have kinda become their own entity in regards to how Shez has influenced them despite Epimenides's goals subconsciously giving them purpose, and non-binary pronouns are thus used for them.

Because the gender variants work like the Three Houses variants where the opposite gender can get the skills from the other gender if you swap during a NG+, it's mostly whatever you use for Shez and Arval as you can do just fine as a hybrid character with both genders in the normal hybrid classes with access to the Dark element. You are however required to do a playthrough using the male versions so that you can actually access Essence of Darkness in all cases (and you want to because Banshee, Luna, and Dark Spikes are all really good spells in Three Hopes, and benefit incredibly from the increased AoE they get with that ability), and I think Dark Bishop is the better class to use if you want either Shez or Arval to be a tome-toting spellcaster.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

apparently sothis (and presumably arval) can be reclassed onto a pegasus and still keep her unique outfit, which begs the question of why can't anyone else do that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Mind ghost privilege.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I know the third bonus character also retains their outfit through any class change. I presume the fourth does as well. I don't know why they did it like that, but it means every character is now fair game to be bonus since they don't need to make new color palates for class swaps.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Very sad at no Gatekeeper campaign

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If the fourth unlockable character being referenced is Gatekeeper, no, he work like a regular ol' recruitable character and defaults to regular class outfits. He is also present in the camp and can used for story missions, do chores, and go on expeditions, but he doesn't have any support conversations. He does unlock a special paralogue mission that is fun and stupid hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

slightly annoyed there seems to be no way to recharge training points in the post game, aside from going into NG+

even with knowledge gems, grinding classes takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr