Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

"foreign tactics" like "looking at security camera footage" and "running the serial number of this literal smoking gun we found at the scene of the crime"

another classic tenementfunster post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

trying to imagine the kind of family that raises children who sob inconsolably for hours because a parade was canceled

lol goons are so loving out of touch with all of humanity jfc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

TenementFunster posted:

cops dont know everyone in town, and not everything is a gladio. they found the gun at the scene, made one phone call, and ran the serial.

do you know what the process is to run a serial number on a gun lmao

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pontificating rear end posted:

stop talking about ops you literal loving schizos

people love to shoot people especially in this country and there doesnt need to be some cracked out reason other than typical malice

*racism looks at this post disapprovingly and clears its throat*

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Completely absurd to suggest cops in a fairly small town might recognize the son of a guy who ran for mayor, I mean maybe if they had already had to confiscate a bunch of knives from him or something but still I would doubt it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

alright let me check out this video of a guy who killed a bunch of people….. hmm it’s that guy who said he was gonna kill a bunch of people last year and we took all his knives. small world I guess

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Pretty sure they had a picture of the guys car and license plate. Dunno if they got a picture of it after running the gun or not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

people need to watch less Law and Order. there’s no “running a serial” for a gun unless it’s been self-reported as stolen to a particular department

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

tfw you've got the shooter in your sights but you haven't gotten an order to kill him yet from your boss who threw away his walkie talkie because he thought it would slow him down

intense clancy wiggum energy all around

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

do you know what the process is to run a serial number on a gun lmao
Yes. Do you? Illinois actually requires guns to be registered with the state police, so the cops found the gun, radioed in the serial number, probably directly to the state police! I imagine it took anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes, depending on if they had to call up the state police separately.

Current US law prohibits this :)

indigi posted:

people need to watch less Law and Order. there’s no “running a serial” for a gun unless it’s been self-reported as stolen to a particular department
there is in Illinois, and in New York, where Law and Order is set.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

apparently not in Illinois lol. that should be the standard everywhere, none of the states I’ve purchased or owned guns in required that

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

You gotta go all or nothing w/r/t gun ownership, you can't just have some people having guns bc that includes psychos and excludes children

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do you have a link to the Illinois registration law? all I can find is that Chicago repealed their municipal registration requirement in 2013

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

indigi posted:

do you have a link to the Illinois registration law? all I can find is that Chicago repealed their municipal registration requirement in 2013
Kind of curious how hard you looked because the illinois gun law wiki page was the first google result when i googled "Illinois firearm registration law" and the foid portal was the first one when i googled "illinois firearm registration"

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/il...2BCard%2BAct%2E

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
so what if he just

filed off the serial

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal is and I do not know why I should know.

his name is cabinalabel, get it right.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Kind of curious how hard you looked because the illinois gun law wiki page was the first google result when i googled "Illinois firearm registration law" and the foid portal was the first one when i googled "illinois firearm registration"

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/il...2BCard%2BAct%2E

I read through that, the only database they legislate is one for guns reported as stolen. gun stores have to keep record of a sale for ten years on-premises and FFLs for 20, state and local police don’t have access to either set of records. that’s why I asked.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

TenementFunster posted:

"foreign tactics" like "looking at security camera footage" and "running the serial number of this literal smoking gun we found at the scene of the crime"

that's not at all what i was talking about + you seem unhinged

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

indigi posted:

I read through that, the only database they legislate is one for guns reported as stolen. gun stores have to keep record of a sale for ten years on-premises and FFLs for 20, state and local police don’t have access to either set of records. that’s why I asked.
I think this is what you're looking for then: https://casetext.com/regulation/ill...d-recordkeeping They could have called up the local gunshops and were able to get an answer fairly quickly.

Also noteworthy, the seller does have to enter the firearm and buyer info into the IL firearms transfer website. As far as I can tell there is no requirement for them to destroy it. This is going to be the major difference if you're not used to states that operate their own background checks. So you're right, Illinois doesn't have gun registration but they most likely have a pretty good idea who bought what firearms within the state.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

My friend is in the FBI in Illinois (lmao) and at one time I remember her talking about the pushback against some central gun database. So it's not an instantaneous sql query by name like they would like.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it should just be as simple as looking up a fuckin VIN

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

synapse posted:

My friend is in the FBI in Illinois (lmao) and at one time I remember her talking about the pushback against some central gun database. So it's not an instantaneous sql query by name like they would like.

indigi posted:

it should just be as simple as looking up a fuckin VIN

i read on this forum something about there being a database of sorts, but the lookup functions are artificially slowed down and take like 10 minutes each, and lookups made doing the cooldown period are legally required to go through due to some gun lobby bullshit. the way it was phrased it sounded believable. anyone else hear similar?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

synapse posted:

there’s a central database of sorts. it’s a building with rooms and rooms of boxes with physical media copies of sales records that legally can’t be organized in any way. like you can’t put all the A states in the same room. you can’t write down which different rooms the Arizona records are in. it’s staffed by a bunch of people who spend all day searching through these boxes reading individual sales records until they find a match and then they call back whichever department sent in the request

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

there’s a central database of sorts. it’s a building with rooms and rooms of boxes with physical media copies of sales records that legally can’t be organized in any way. like you can’t put all the A states in the same room. you can’t write down which different rooms the Arizona records are in. it’s staffed by a bunch of people who spend all day searching through these boxes reading individual sales records until they find a match and then they call back whichever department sent in the request

That sounds like it was designed to drive one mad

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

apparently not
Yeah, I could tell. anyway, the first google result for the illinois law is the state's transfer portal, where you put in the seller's name, FOID card number, and make/model/serial of the gun, then the buyer's name and FOID number.

it's the most likely reason the cops could find bob crimo so fast, but they probably don't want to publicize that for the obvious reason.

mark immune posted:

that's not at all what i was talking about + you seem unhinged
oh? what were you talking about, then?

Wolfy posted:

They could have called up the local gunshops and were able to get an answer fairly quickly.
no, they could not, even if were the lucky enough to have bob crimo buy his gun at the geographically-closest gun store. the national process is purposefully terrible, and relies on gun stores that do not want to let the feds know that they sold a gun that was used in a crime.

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Jul 7, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah, I could tell.

do you have a link to the law setting up the Illinois serial database? I can’t find it

TenementFunster posted:

anyway, the first google result for the illinois law is the state's transfer portal, where you put in the seller's name, FOID card number, and make/model/serial of the gun, then the buyer's name and FOID number.

it's the most likely reason the cops could find bob crimo so fast, but they probably don't want to publicize that for the obvious reason.

oh so you’re actually just guessing that such a database exists, and that they used it. nevermind

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

do you have a link to the law setting up the Illinois serial database? I can’t find it

oh so you’re actually just guessing that such a database exists, and that they used it. nevermind
this took me 30 seconds of googling. sales records are kept for 10 years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

this took me 30 seconds of googling. sales records are kept for 10 years.

by the store

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
your mistake is engaging with tenementfunster in good faith like there's a point to any of these rants

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Sounds right to me that they have everything they need to look up who bought what gun where but it's made artificially slow by the gun lobby or NRA.

So I wonder if they got him from the security camera first cause I definitely saw a picture of his lovely car and license plate the day of the shooting.

I forget why we care about this anyway.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

by the store
yeah why would the state police keep track of what serials are connected to a specific FOID? they totally just ask for the information and dispose of it immediately, i bet.

they just put out an BOLO for any man in a costume wig after looking at all the security camera footage in a 10 mile radius because of gladio.

Javid posted:

your mistake is engaging with tenementfunster in good faith like there's a point to any of these rants
i thought all the libs crying about "good faith" stayed in D&D.

synapse posted:

Sounds right to me that they have everything they need to look up who bought what gun where but it's made artificially slow by the gun lobby or NRA.
federally, yeah. here's a good article about it! no way to stop this!

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Jul 7, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

yeah why would the state police keep track of what serials are connected to a specific FOID?

there’s all these straws right here for you to take

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

there’s all these straws right here for you to take
yeah, it's way more plausible that it was a gladio thing, or they saw a guy in a bad wig on a camera and knew right away he just did a shooting.

couldn't be the state police had the name, license number, and make, model and serial of the gun he bought two years ago.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

couldn’t be that they’d been to his house to confiscate weapons after making death threats or that he’s the son of a prominent local businessman who ran for mayor. they probably have access to the secret unfunded state firearms database that has helped solve one crime to date

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

I have no idea how fast they could look up his gun but they almost certainly didn't actually need to. Just the fact that his dad ran a local business and ran for mayor is enough that they could probably just look up at the rooftop and go hey isn't that Robert crimo's kid.

I live in the area and my antisocial parents who, somewhat understandably, interact with the community as little as possible knew the mayor. Hell my mom used to do renovation work for him and he once drunkenly drove my brother to go get stitches. They didn't need to do any csi poo poo to know who it was because it's almost guaranteed they all know his dad

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

i do not think it's a huge stretch for the state police to keep data that is sent to them

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

couldn’t be that they’d been to his house to confiscate weapons after making death threats or that he’s the son of a prominent local businessman who ran for mayor. they probably have access to the secret unfunded state firearms database that has helped solve one crime to date
Illinois spends ~$29,000,000 a year to fund the system, and you have no idea how often it is used. this is all very easy to google, so try doing that instead of this weird temper tantrum.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, it's way more plausible that it was a gladio thing

"this was gladio, this was definitely a gladio, they did a gladio" is how I imagine you see every post

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

"this was gladio, this was definitely a gladio, they did a gladio" is how I imagine you see every post
nah, just the ones about how the vegas shooting was an "arms deal gone wrong" or a plot to assassinate MBS, or how the Highland Park, Illinois PD was pulling Bob Crimo's strings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"this was gladio, this was definitely a gladio, they did a gladio"