Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dissss posted:

The Leaf is still available in two battery sizes - 40kWh and 62kWh. The larger one has the 215-226 mile EPA range, the smaller one only claims 149 to start with.

2020 was the first year for the pluses, so that checks out. Still, don't buy a new leaf in 2022, and there probably aren't a lot of leaf+ on the used market at a price you would want to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/ktZyl525zIo

I can lie down inside an R1S

in 10 years maybe I can turn one of these into a camping vehicle if the battery is still good/can be serviced affordably

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Still, don't buy a new leaf in 2022, and there probably aren't a lot of leaf+ on the used market at a price you would want to pay.

Yeah I agree. It's a shame though as the Leaf is still a great form factor - not too big externally but still reasonably spacious inside (at least compared to a Kona or Niro)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Leaf has far too big an arse.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why would anyone get an R1S when the EV hummer exists? Does the R1S even have T tops?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zero One posted:

Ford's image is probably being hurt by this dealer but Ford didn't have anything to do with what they did. It's all on a lovely dealer.

I strongly suspect the automakers have a lot more leverage over dealerships than people generally give them credit for. That doesn't make them directly responsible, but I still assign them some culpability.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

I strongly suspect the automakers have a lot more leverage over dealerships than people generally give them credit for. That doesn't make them directly responsible, but I still assign them some culpability.

While this is true, do you actually think there is a single car manufacturer out there that has an absolutely spotless record with regards to how their dealerships treat people?

You can find an anecdote for every car maker where a dealership tried to screw over a buyer. It's a pretty useless way to give advice to a potential buyer. "Don't buy X, one of their dealerships treated me badly once" does not help anyone make an informed decision on which vehicle to purchase.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tiny Timbs posted:

They do not, except for some extreme nuclear option poo poo basically.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Back in April, when they told their dealers to cut the egregious dealer markups out, was the first time in at least a decade they really put the screws to them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Laws prohibiting direct sales give dealers incredible leverage over both manufacturers and consumers. They can limit allocations to a bad dealer but that presumes there’s some other dealers in the area with the lot space and financing to pick up the slack, and that those dealers don’t also suck.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Except that wasn't really what they said. It was that Ford specifically didn't want dealerships trying to charge customers who'd put in a Lightning preorder for the privilege of being prioritized onto the dealer's build assignment list.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also if you gently caress with allocation too much the dealer can sue you. You can really only do it at the margins on highly desirable product, and you pretty much have to link it to some kind of behavior.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Biodome posted:

I’ve had the EV6 for about 2 months now and I still love it. Long rear end range, charges quick as poo poo, has all the driver assist features I wanted.

Only downsides:
They got my rear end good with dealer markup but I wanted it so I paid it.
Less storage space in the trunk than my old car due to small hatch back and sloped body.

That’s about it. The rest is just nice to haves like wireless CarPlay and auto lock when walking away.

If you can get it at a dealer markup you’re okay with paying, I say go for it.

I've read on a couple Kia forums that Kia may be planning to add wireless carplay/Android auto to the EV6. I plan to stick with wired since wireless always ends up with audio fidelity issues and I want to try the Meridian system with lossless Qobuz.

I've also read that if the climate/radio dual strip annoys you that you can set a default mode by holding in one of the buttons and it will always revert back to that strip after a few seconds, so you can set your climate and then it goes right back to radio.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 7, 2022

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SchrodingersCat posted:

I've also read that if the climate/radio dual strip annoys you that you can set a default mode by holding in one of the buttons and it will always revert back to that strip after a few seconds, so you can set your climate and then it goes right back to radio.

Yeah that default is simple to set, and like every other setting its nice that its tied to the user profile, so when someone else is driving it can respond how they like it along with the rest of it. Though if someone isn't used to remembering to use their profile they could get annoyed wondering why the setting for it stopped working for them.

I don't know how common that is in other modern cars now, but being able to create a bunch of user profiles was one of the features I liked the most in the EV6. Taking over the driving on a trip and being able to just jump in, set a profile and have the mirrors, seat, HUD offset, radio, mood lighting, safety assists etc (even the physical 2 seat programming buttons are tied to each profile uniquely) all just instantly change over was so nice. The only thing that would improve it, is they should have made the steering wheel adjustment motorized as well because you still have to adjust that manually.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Laws prohibiting direct sales give dealers incredible leverage over both manufacturers and consumers. They can limit allocations to a bad dealer but that presumes there’s some other dealers in the area with the lot space and financing to pick up the slack, and that those dealers don’t also suck.

You forgot “and isn’t also part of the same megadealer chain owned by a mob-type family of old money assholes who make loud TV commercials explaining that screwing over poor people with a 72-month loan on a used Geo Metro is an honorable Christian virtue.”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

While this is true, do you actually think there is a single car manufacturer out there that has an absolutely spotless record with regards to how their dealerships treat people?

You can find an anecdote for every car maker where a dealership tried to screw over a buyer. It's a pretty useless way to give advice to a potential buyer. "Don't buy X, one of their dealerships treated me badly once" does not help anyone make an informed decision on which vehicle to purchase.

yes surely the automakers should not be held responsible for exerting no pressure on dealers who lie right to your face while charging you a hefty premium for the privilege

or that's what I'd say if I was dumb as hell, but since I'm not I'll say this instead: I hope the dealership model dies and that Hyundai dies with it lol what a lovely automaker

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Weird vendetta, imo

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
lol imagine coming to the EV thread and making GBS threads it up like that

Fastest I've ever put a poster on ignore, that's for sure.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's very strange to me how Americans blame a Korean company for how dealerships in America run by Americans use the American political system and laws to screw over consumers.

Now don't get me wrong, dealerships aren't super in other countries either, but nowhere near the stories from the US.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My wife was murdered by a Hyundai dealership.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I find it stranger that Americans love white knighting for corporations. Not just auto makers obviously, but they seem to get the lion's share of unearned defense

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

QuarkJets posted:

I find it stranger that Americans love white knighting for corporations. Not just auto makers obviously, but they seem to get the lion's share of unearned defense

It's gonna be one of the largest investments people make (after a house/condo), and there's an innate "judge me by my purchases" ideal in American culture. Several manufacturers have been around long enough that brand loyalty is generational. In America, the great Summer Roadtrip can be foundational memories, and that's going to happen in the family car. A huge swath of boomers did really well working for unions in auto manufacturing plants. Remember the inherent "us vs. them" mentality corp America is so good at fostering (like Mac vs PC or Coke vs Pepsi). And never underestimate an heirloom grudge (there's a major national chain of gas stations my whole family refuses to use because multiple people were rude to my grandfather, who died before I was born).

The defense is wholly undeserved, but it's not hard to explain. No ethical consumption under capitalism, get what meets your needs (and needing a modicum of confidence in the corporate leadership is valid).

But gently caress every new car dealer straight into the sun.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

pun pundit posted:

It's very strange to me how Americans blame a Korean company for how dealerships in America run by Americans use the American political system and laws to screw over consumers.

Now don't get me wrong, dealerships aren't super in other countries either, but nowhere near the stories from the US.

Does it really matter where a company is technically headquartered, or what nationality its leadership is? 80% of Hyundai's sales are outside of Korea, it has major operations and offices in NA and Europe. It is, by all practical accounts, a global company, with the resources and expertise to navigate those foreign markets.

All that said, I believe the dealership model is going the way of blockbuster. The small value they add simply isn't enough to justify the middleman fees involved in the modern era where their services are largely supplanted by the internet.

This sucks for like half a million people involved in car sales in the US, which is unfortunate, but I'm not shedding a tear for them any more than people shed a tear for travel agents or whatever. Progress marches on, and at risk of being an elitist gently caress, the high school dropout car salespeople had a good enough run at everyone's expense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Nobody is white knighting them, you’re just being weird. If nobody bought cars from any manufacturer that had a lovely dealer out there somewhere you’d only have Tesla left and they’re just sneaking in a technicality.

It’s a lovely model but it’s ubiquitous, nobody here can change it, and Hyundai makes a good EV that people want to buy so they’re willing to put up with it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bird with big dick posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You know hiring an assassin is also a crime right?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Holy crap, thanks for that spreadsheet.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like the Leaf is probably out since it's range is a little suspect for what I need. I'm not super interested in a bunch of gadgets or a big infotainment center. If it has it, that's fine, but it's not make or break for me. My biggest concerns are range, safety, charging time, and just general drivability. Pretty much everything I want in a car as far as gadgets go are standard these days like bluetooth, power windows and a backup camera.

I’ve had my Leaf for six months and love it. Seats and interior are noticeably better than the Bolt imo and the plus variant is still well within your miles needs. With the rebate it’s your cheapest option. Chicago also has (relatively) mild weather so the cooling won’t be a big deal for you.

As long as you have a second ICE vehicle (besides doing road trips in the LEAF is…an adventure to put it nicely) it’s a fantastic car.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

EV thread mk 3 - My wife was murdered by a Hyundai dealership.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gimme a sec while I scroll back to find out where the hell THAT came from

Edit : Uhh..... what on earth is it with AI and weird rear end hatred of Korean cars??!?! Yeah nah, that's enough thanks

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 7, 2022

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

:10bux: says someone DMed him the instructions (hold both steering wheel buttons) to reset the infotainment system, it fired right up, and he felt like a loving idiot.

I got “stuck” in theatre mode a few days ago. Until I found the little black bar at the top to toggle the controls on.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jimong5 posted:

I got “stuck” in theatre mode a few days ago. Until I found the little black bar at the top to toggle the controls on.

Same. Audio has been going out of sync a lot too.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Pack it up Hyundailures, QuarkJets is taking no prisoners

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

people recognize that state laws provide insane tiers of protection for dealers, right? unless they break terms of the franchise agreement it is very hard for the OEM to do anything at all to them, and the only real recourse at that point is "revoke the franchise" which is expensive and extremely messy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgrj_cHkpE

Looks pretty good.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's a shame they haven't made something that replaces the Leaf since that lower cost segment needs attention.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think there’s any lack of low-range city EVs; companies just aren’t choosing to sell them in the US. Honda e, Fiat 500…

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Am I right in that the only place Tesla displays SoC at destination is expanding the nav directions and scrolling down?

JFC what a self own. The Ford display is a wasteland of white useless space but at least they display this info front and center.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Am I right in that the only place Tesla displays SoC at destination is expanding the nav directions and scrolling down?

JFC what a self own. The Ford display is a wasteland of white useless space but at least they display this info front and center.

Allegedly the latest update makes this visible at the top again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why would anyone get an R1S when the EV hummer exists? Does the R1S even have T tops?

Never having to deal with a GM dealership would be item numero uno.

GM is an excellent engineering firm trapped in a Woody Allen movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya that's coming back when the new update hits, as well all green light ding for us poors who can't/don't want FSD.