Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just mix it all together. The encounters flop at random and crossing the sibron gets old after like 3 plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I have a psychological resistance to opening up new components to a game when I haven't had even one real full playthrough yet. I'll get there eventually. And when it comes to new crunchy games, the last thing I want to do is add more complexity/choices out of the gate for my gaming group. We take a long time to play games already, so easing them into this with just the base set will be far easier than if I come out with "AND ALL THIS EXTRA STUFF IS AVAILABLE TO CHOOSE FROM TOO!" It's probably a stupid impulse on my part, but I can't get past it.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Speaking of terrible choices: are any of the Ankh add-ons worth it? I have the retail version; the Guardians and Pantheon expansions have caught my eye.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When you open the Alien Fate of the Nostromo box, you see Jones the cat screaming at you, it owns.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Can I get a recommendation for a co-op board game suitable for three players of drastically different experience levels with board game concepts, and which hopefully precludes quarterbacking?

One of the the teens I run D&D for has been asked to find a co-op game to play with his family, after having a pretty good time with the Harry Potter: Battle for Hogwarts collaborative deckbuilder. The kid is very mechanically oriented, very comfortable with deckbuilders, CCGs, competitive boardgames and RPGs with complex rules, but he's playing with his dad who is much slower on the uptake, and his grandmother who is basically just there to hang out and will take any opportunity to have the kid essentially play the game for her. Kid does not enjoy quarterbacking, so his ideal game would be one in which that's impossible, but which also has enough going on to hold his interest.

Any ideas on something that might suit them?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It seems like an incredibly difficult ask to have a game that is both mechanically complex enough to hold his interest yet easy enough for grandma to just hang out without asking for help. I guess his best bet would be games where quarterbacking is literally against the rules, something like Codenames: Duet or The Crew.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
All I can think of are games like High Society or For Sale, where you can have fun whether you min-max or just shoot from the hip. Q.E. might be even better, but might be a wee too much for the grandmother.

The Crew is a good call - particularly, asking whether the grandma is familiar with trick-taking games is probably a million-dollar question.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I'm pretty sure all grandmothers are required by law to be acquainted with trick taking games. I definitely recommend The Crew, especially the Deep Sea version. Codenames Duet is also very good, as mentioned. Beyond that I think you're trying to balance diametrically opposed play styles, and it's going to be a challenge. Do you have examples of what has been a hit and what has not, other than Harry Potter deck builder?

Edit: maybe Mysterium, although that will be better with more than 3 players I think. Perhaps Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, if everyone is interested in solving a mystery? Not really any board game mechanics per se, but maybe it could pique Grandma's interest?

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 7, 2022

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MonsieurChoc posted:

When you open the Alien Fate of the Nostromo box, you see Jones the cat screaming at you, it owns.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2723884/wrong-cat-box-art-doh

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Viper915 posted:

I'm pretty sure all grandmothers are required by law to be acquainted with trick taking games. I definitely recommend The Crew, especially the Deep Sea version. Codenames Duet is also very good, as mentioned. Beyond that I think you're trying to balance diametrically opposed play styles, and it's going to be a challenge. Do you have examples of what has been a hit and what has not, other than Harry Potter deck builder?

Edit: maybe Mysterium, although that will be better with more than 3 players I think. Perhaps Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, if everyone is interested in solving a mystery? Not really any board game mechanics per se, but maybe it could pique Grandma's interest?

They've done a lot of Pandemic, which they enjoyed but which always ends up with the kid quarterbacking by default - how they can play that in TYOOL 2022 I have no idea, I think they just had it lying around. Grandma is apparently a Scrabble fiend, and does indeed know trick-taking games, so The Crew sounds like it would work! BGG lists its weight as being identical to Hogwarts Battle, so that's promising, and explicitly forbidding communication will be a blessing for the kid. I'll pass it on, along with any other recommendations people want to make - thanks folks! :)

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Some Wingspan expansion news, or Wingspansion news, if you will. The new game focuses on Asian birds and will be available for preorder in Q4 2022. They're also donating to some bird charities based on the number of preorders they get. Details here:

Wingspan Asia Expansion

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Kestral posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a co-op board game suitable for three players of drastically different experience levels with board game concepts, and which hopefully precludes quarterbacking?

One of the the teens I run D&D for has been asked to find a co-op game to play with his family, after having a pretty good time with the Harry Potter: Battle for Hogwarts collaborative deckbuilder. The kid is very mechanically oriented, very comfortable with deckbuilders, CCGs, competitive boardgames and RPGs with complex rules, but he's playing with his dad who is much slower on the uptake, and his grandmother who is basically just there to hang out and will take any opportunity to have the kid essentially play the game for her. Kid does not enjoy quarterbacking, so his ideal game would be one in which that's impossible, but which also has enough going on to hold his interest.

Would they go for narrative games? Don't know if a mechanically-oriented kid would like it, but Dad and Grandma might actually be better than him at Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detectiveor another puzzley mystery game.

Forgotten Waters is a silly 90%-co-op pirate story and the mechanics are pretty simple. Quarterbacking is discouraged by having a timer for action selection and some opportunities to be a bit selfish over supporting the group.

Paleo might work as well. Mechanics aren't too onerous play-to-play but they are interesting enough that you can think strategically. Hard to quarterback since each player has their own deck. It won the Kennerspiel.

Wheeler W Wetherby fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 7, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The crew is absolutely the answer here yeah

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Those micromacro crime city games sound like they would be a hit at that table

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Viper915 posted:

I'm pretty sure all grandmothers are required by contract to be acquainted with trick taking games

fixed that for you

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
That pun is a bridge too far.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Kestral posted:

warhammer quest 1995 or shadows of brimstone (grandmothers like cowboy stuff)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mayveena posted:

It's been a Tom Lehman week. I was persuaded to try 1846 yet again, and I have to say that there are 18xx veterans who've played the game over 100 (I think Joe Huber has passed 1,000) times which tells me my issue with it (too many dead areas on the board) are not really a thing. I just now bought Dice Realms as my Geek buddies love it.

Have you played with the new privates yet? Definitely going to give them a go next time I get 46 back to the table:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

T-Bone posted:

Have you played with the new privates yet? Definitely going to give them a go next time I get 46 back to the table:

They're designed to work with C&O I think but the one time I played with them i scooped Boomtown up with PRR and then aggressively clogged the centre of the board with tokens and won because everyone else had poo poo routes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Won’t have ‘46 til Saturday and don’t have any games set up yet. I’ll let you folks know how it goes.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Afriscipio posted:

Speaking of terrible choices: are any of the Ankh add-ons worth it? I have the retail version; the Guardians and Pantheon expansions have caught my eye.

It’s hard with Ankh because the base game has so much content and the expansions are so expensive. Here is my take:

Guardians: Guardians generally don’t have a huge impact on the overall game but are fun. They probably won’t make a game feel that different though so given the cost of the expansion, questionable value. If it was super cheap or on sale, may be worth it but don’t expect a significant shake up or rejuvenation of the game if that’s what you’re after.

Pantheon: More gods on the other hand is a much bigger deal - BUT you can go to BGG and download a list of all the Gods powers (from all expansions) and use that with your existing figure and tokens. I felt a bit guilty about doing that but it did make it really hard to justify the cost of the expansion (and additional storage for all the giant pieces).

Pharaoh: I think this is the way to go for more or a traditional expansion experience (plus I think it’s cheaper than the other two?). Genuinely new mechanics which change the game significantly. But Ankh is such a fast and clean experience I don’t know whether more stuff / maybe more chaos is a good thing - my group hasn’t gotten to this and is still fooling around with scenarios in the main book, so I don’t really have an opinion on it yet. Online some people really like it and others don’t think it really improves the game.

So basically I think Guardians and Pantheon probably come down to how much you value the plastic. More Gods is probably the best way to expand the game by far but are more giant figs worth it? Here in Australia the cost of either expansion would pay for a whole other game so I found it really hard to justify. Pharaoh i resolved to check out once we got sick of the main game but honestly big shakeup expansions I often end up not using much unless they unequivocally improve or complete the game, and I’m not confident enough Pharoah does that.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Just got my Mayday Crokinole board. Am I supposed to wax this thing out the gate? It also came with these acrylic disc holders but I'm not entirely sure how to use them since they're designed in a way that's more than just a tube.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

KingKapalone posted:

Just got my Mayday Crokinole board. Am I supposed to wax this thing out the gate? It also came with these acrylic disc holders but I'm not entirely sure how to use them since they're designed in a way that's more than just a tube.

I waxed mine, I think it's worthwhile and it only takes a second. The disc holders drop over the outside edge of the board (they're slotted). When someone scores a 20 it comes off the board immediately and you drop it into one of the tubes.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Blamestorm posted:

It’s hard with Ankh because the base game has so much content and the expansions are so expensive. Here is my take...

Thanks for the advice. More variety is probably my priority here, so if I find Pantheon on sale, I might pick it up. The game doesn't feel like it needs more mechanics, so I'll wait on the pharaoh box.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CommonShore posted:

They're designed to work with C&O I think but the one time I played with them i scooped Boomtown up with PRR and then aggressively clogged the centre of the board with tokens and won because everyone else had poo poo routes.

Yeah they definitely look that way. I've played around 30 games of 46' -- very interested to see how they shake things up.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Afriscipio posted:

Thanks for the advice. More variety is probably my priority here, so if I find Pantheon on sale, I might pick it up. The game doesn't feel like it needs more mechanics, so I'll wait on the pharaoh box.

Yeah, I think the best thing for Ankh is just more Gods. It’s the key variable game to game, what they do and how they interact. While the table presence is cool for the God figurines I just couldn’t handle the cost of that expansion because I can’t get out of my head that I’d be perfectly happy with cardboard standees at like a quarter or less the cost.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I felt motivated this week finally to make a Pokemon TCG re-theme of Love Letter Premium. The most annoying part of the process was figuring out how to paint the 26 poke ball tokens that I 3d printed. I also have close to zero experience with photoshop-like programs so that was a bit of fun learning that as well. I made the cards through https://pokecardmaker.net/ and then threw them up onto a layout file I found on Deviant art.

It was a lot of fun figuring out and picking a thematic pokemon for each role in the game.

Here's a link to the files if anyone else wants to print a copy of their own.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v9KGTGnzHsrJdWqFFk_YFNrAggmRwmZb?usp=sharing

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is a mostly complete, mostly in good shape classic Hero Quest worth 65 dollars? A local guy is selling it and I was thinking about it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

Is a mostly complete, mostly in good shape classic Hero Quest worth 65 dollars? A local guy is selling it and I was thinking about it

That depends. Are you asking if it's a good price relative to other people selling vintage Hero Quest, or a good price relative to other board games you could buy? It's not the worst price for HQ but HQ isn't really much of a game.

Do you have children to play it with?

Do you have fond memories of playing it as a child?

If you couldn't answer yes to at least one of these questions, I would give it a pass.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah how familiar are you with HQ? For me, and I think many others, it can hit a great nostalgia button, and you can see how it's a distant ancestor of the likes of Descent and Gloomhaven when you have persistence in your characters' gear and stuff, but if you look at it with any critical eye it's laden with problems. Roll and move, for a big one. Random activity in general really. If you're not planning to relive some memories that money should go to a more modern dungeon crawler.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

radlum posted:

yes, buy it depending on what’s missing. i have a couple of copies but i’ve never played it as an adult but the figures are great

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just make it your collections “shameful bad game that I want anyway”

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

radlum posted:

Does it still have The Gargoyle and the Broawd Swoard?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played some 18MEX online a few days ago and had a great time as usual but was frustrated to see someone achieve 50% in the NdM but with it totally hemmed in (tokened out in Quertero and SE) and then have a player merge their troubled company into it and freed him into doing $750 runs. The merging president was new to the game it made sense short term for her but it just handed the game to him when he was otherwise stuck with a neutered national. Also for the skeptics, I had no way to stop the 50% holding as he had priority and grabbed one immediately and was able to make it around to grab another thanks to a player starting another company instead of buying it and THEN someone sold a share later and boom, bought that too thanks to priority.

radlum
May 13, 2013

jarofpiss posted:

yes, buy it depending on what’s missing. i have a couple of copies but i’ve never played it as an adult but the figures are great

A card and 2 dice

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Got to play a bunch of The Crew: Deep Sea today. I think that, compared to the original, it’s a better game. The original feels like it’s a better (or “purer”) puzzle. I suppose it matters which thing you’re looking for.

Also, got to see friends I haven’t seen in person for two plus years, so hooray for that!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

OmegaGoo posted:

Got to play a bunch of The Crew: Deep Sea today. I think that, compared to the original, it’s a better game. The original feels like it’s a better (or “purer”) puzzle. I suppose it matters which thing you’re looking for.

Also, got to see friends I haven’t seen in person for two plus years, so hooray for that!

Oh hey are you me, I did precisely that like a week ago, with friends I hadn't seen for two years as well.

I just wish that they had sold the mission deck separately as an option. Like, I didn't really want to buy a whole new game, but the new objectives structure was too good to pass up.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Morpheus posted:

Oh hey are you me, I did precisely that like a week ago, with friends I hadn't seen for two years as well.

I just wish that they had sold the mission deck separately as an option. Like, I didn't really want to buy a whole new game, but the new objectives structure was too good to pass up.

I remember seeing a post somewhere that it wasn't really viable as an expansion at that price point. Between the cost of the new cards and rulebook, plus packaging, they still could only get it to come out as a few dollars less than the full game, which MSRP is less than $15 don't forget. Then they have to decide if they make it an expansion only that requires the crew, and miss out on some sales, or make two skus, one expansion and one standalone, and deal with all the distribution headaches that could cause. In the end they decided it made a lot more sense just to make it one complete product, even if it meant some people paid a few more dollars if they bought both games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Viper915 posted:

I remember seeing a post somewhere that it wasn't really viable as an expansion at that price point. Between the cost of the new cards and rulebook, plus packaging, they still could only get it to come out as a few dollars less than the full game, which MSRP is less than $15 don't forget. Then they have to decide if they make it an expansion only that requires the crew, and miss out on some sales, or make two skus, one expansion and one standalone, and deal with all the distribution headaches that could cause. In the end they decided it made a lot more sense just to make it one complete product, even if it meant some people paid a few more dollars if they bought both games.

Yeah that makes sense. I would've been happy just buying a shrink-wrapped deck directly from their distributor or publisher or whatever, but I'm unfamiliar with what kinds of logistics that would entail so I can see it being a pain. Ah well, like you said it was that expensive, hopefully I can get a few bucks on the original I have (which I have played....four times maybe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I procedurally generated yet another batch of boardgames: