Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
we're starting a new country on Mars with the only things we need:
  • hydroponic salad prototype USS enterprise with my boss on permanent screen share
  • pre-landed habitat modules only mentioned like once so far
  • angry irradiated russians
  • this unstable little rear end in a top hat who banged my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder if it counts as space piracy if the one who steals back control of the ship from the company is it's commander.

Edit: did I miss a few months timeskip at some point? Rewatching ep4 and how was the Russian astronaut on Sojourner having a live conversation with his wife?

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 7, 2022

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder if it counts as space piracy if the one who steals back control of the ship from the company is it's commander.

Edit: did I miss a few months timeskip at some point? Rewatching ep4 and how was the Russian astronaut on Sojourner having a live conversation with his wife?

I was wondering that too but I assume they just weren't that far out at that point?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

did I miss a few months timeskip at some point? Rewatching ep4 and how was the Russian astronaut on Sojourner having a live conversation with his wife?

She's on Polaris :tinfoil:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know we've seen some shots of landings on Mars in the trailer, but haven't gone back to look at that intentionally. How I think things will go with the Mars landing:

They get control of Phoenix, and form an alliance with the American and Soviet astronauts that through fuel restrictions and the like works out that they can all land on Mars, but then use the Phoenix landers to return home on the same vessel.

We've seen Ed grow a lot, going from his initial time on Jamestown holding a Cosmonaut prisoner to now being willing to give up landing on Mars entirely to save Cosmonauts. My bet is that we (or at least Earth) won't see who sets foot on Mars first, and they'll only turn on the camera after American, Soviet, and Private boots are all on Mars, standing there together.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 7, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kind of weird that all the screens in the alterna-90s are 16:9 flatscreens, but all the news footage we see is 4:3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess that happens when your video editors are excited to do retro 90s stuff and your propmasters aren't interested in sourcing a bunch of CRTs. I guess it could be saved if we see CRTs in people's homes and the 16:9 LCDs are too expensive to be anywhere besides government facilities and unlimited money tech bro adventures.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

I do like how Dev and his private sector flunkies have been properly revealed as real bastards. Not sure how that conflict is going to play out with Dev and Ed having to play-by-email their space arguments at this point. Glad they didn't arbitrarily dump part of the ship or the fuel so there will be plenty left to explode around Mars.
Karen and Bill had a mutual look of understanding when Dev hijacked the "what should we do?" discussion so I think they're gonna do something together behind his back to help Ed regain control of the ship.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

muscles like this! posted:

A similar thing happened with the videogame series Homefront which was originally supposed to be China invading but got switched to North Korea and included absolutely ridiculous backstory like Kim Jong Un reuniting the Korean Peninsula and then convincing Japan to join their new country.

That's true, although the game Mercenaries where you got to explore NK and blow up lots of stuff and could play as Han Solo or Indiana Jones if you wanted was a lot of fun. Awesome to not feel like dealing with an enemy compound and spend a good chunk of change calling in a favor to drop a giant bomb. Too bad the sequel was a dud and the franchise is dead.

Senor Tron posted:

Rewatching ep4 and how was the Russian astronaut on Sojourner having a live conversation with his wife?

Yeah I chalked that one up as a minor goof.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

bawfuls posted:

Karen and Bill had a mutual look of understanding when Dev hijacked the "what should we do?" discussion so I think they're gonna do something together behind his back to help Ed regain control of the ship.

Love Karen's character arc from bored/emotionally-stifled 60's astronaut wife --> pot-smoking bar and grill proprietor --> woman who sleeps with her dead son's teenage best friend --> wealthy hotel magnate --> wealthy space hotel magnate --> publicly disgraced space hotel magnate --> high ranking employee of pioneering commercial spaceflight company launching the first manned mission to Mars. Many such examples.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rental Sting posted:

Love Karen's character arc from bored/emotionally-stifled 60's astronaut wife --> pot-smoking bar and grill proprietor --> woman who sleeps with her dead son's teenage best friend --> wealthy hotel magnate --> wealthy space hotel magnate --> publicly disgraced space hotel magnate --> high ranking employee of pioneering commercial spaceflight company launching the first manned mission to Mars. Many such examples.

Women get it done!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Surely nuclear launch monitoring defense systems would pick up a rocket that big and thus would have an idea of where it came from?

That’s what you’d think!

Guess not though?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can't launch a rocket without it being detected. But spent upper stages are not actively tracked, no one really cares about them, so when one randomly shows up later it can be very hard to determine whose it is.

Senor Tron posted:

There was a time skip somewhere, yeah. Five light minutes is about 90 million kilometers. That's a good few months of travel.

E: Wait it was five minute delay so they're only 2.5 light minutes away. 45 million. Still quite a trip. Two months maybe.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 8, 2022

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Someone I was hoping would pop up this season did in the most recent episode, and it's excellent.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

esperantinc posted:

Someone I was hoping would pop up this season did in the most recent episode, and it's excellent.

concur

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Regarding Ellen, I figured her old girlfriend from the bar would show back up on her visit to NASA and she'd get caught then impeached.

But honestly I hope none of that cliche poo poo happens, I'm enjoying a hopeful alternate reality show with space (and space madness) being the ultimate enemy.

e: whoa i did not proof read this well on my phone

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 8, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This show really hates Ed, Jesus Christ. Now I can' t wait for Danny to tell him he banged Karen out of anger for Ed aborting the mission. :toot:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

LOL at that ending. I love it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It was great

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Show good.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I am once again asking you to kill Danny.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Bananaquiter posted:

if they didn't splat out onto the martian surface I'm not sure how it's gonna happen

though I would love, love, love for him to not make it through this season. writers, find some way to make all this angst end in a meaningful way and free us of this torture

science-wise, what the hell is this little wonkavator that can get within 1000m of the martian surface and then just zoop back up to orbit? does everything have little helium-3 engines that are magic?

I was honestly surprised by the "we're at mars now" time skip, though it makes sense because the show is obviously disinterested in showing the myriad challenges of sitting on cruise control in a relatively cramped Big Space Shuttle for many months. Where is the food??? How do you live???

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hope Danny gets spaced.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Sivart13 posted:

I was honestly surprised by the "we're at mars now" time skip, though it makes sense because the show is obviously disinterested in showing the myriad challenges of sitting on cruise control in a relatively cramped Big Space Shuttle for many months. Where is the food??? How do you live???

Not to mention the amount of anabolic steroids Ed would need to stave off withdrawals on a 2-year mars mission. I guess it makes sense that a private company would look the other way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a feeling there will be decades of people ranting on the internet with freeze frames from the broadcast that prove that one person or the other stepped down first.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I have a feeling there will be decades of people ranting on the internet with freeze frames from the broadcast that prove that one person or the other stepped down first.

Poole by two frames in my reckoning.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of weird that all the screens in the alterna-90s are 16:9 flatscreens, but all the news footage we see is 4:3.

Format changes are slow, it makes sense for everything to be 4:3.

In the real world HDTV was introduced to the US in 1998 but the first local news program to broadcast in HD didn't happen until 2006. CNN didn't broadcast in HD until 2007.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bananaquiter posted:

I don't see any way this ends with anything other than Danny killing Ed.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Madurai posted:

I don't see any way this ends with anything other than Danny killing Ed.

So far, no central character on the show has displayed that kind of malevolence, but maybe. If this dude ends up killing a famed astronaut and best friend to his deceased hero father on Mars because he seduced his wife in the 80s and spent a decade being jealous as gently caress I might check out on this show. Expecting some last-minute redemption or heroic sacrifice.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Another great episode. Really glad it ended the way it did. I can't remember - can the private lander make more than one trip? I assume they can but it would be funny if they just go home now.

Wayne coming back and just getting Karen backed is wonderful.

I'm not surprised it was Aleida who found the engines were the same, but I have to say I just... don't know why she'd care? Like the engines were clearly hosed, Nasa would have beaten the Soviets, neither side is killing each other. Just let it go?

edit: oh also:

Kelly's passive aggressive floating away from the Russian guy was loving outstanding comedy

Andddd I guess she's gonna become the first person to become pregnant in space (probably when they have to hitch a ride back on the Phoenix, that third booster sounds ominous), which means we get the next generation of astronauts (because you can only get a job at Nasa if you're part of the same family)

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 8, 2022

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Another great episode. Really glad it ended the way it did. I can't remember - can the private lander make more than one trip? I assume they can but it would be funny if they just go home now.

I figure it's supposed to act as a reusable shuttle to and from the Phoenix or else why would they bring artists and poets and all that.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Space Hotel part obviously wouldn't be landing...

Is the intention that the Phoenix would have all the main research facilities on the ship and a smaller base on Mars? And that they can just shuttle people between the two every two hours or so?

NASA is supposed to have base supplies on the surface already. Presumably the USSR have the same thing so I wonder if there'll be a realignment of Russians working with Helios

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Loved seeing Poole, who's usually been the level headed one, loose her poo poo at the end :argh:

I wonder how the Sojourner is meant to take off again.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 8, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What a great episode all around. Space drama: I even sort of ended up liking the Danny insanity, because he's obviously becoming totally unhinged. I expected him to confess to Ed over their card-game just to be a smug poo poo. And then Ed pulls the brakes on being the first to land on Mars because he didn't want to risk "the kiddo"'s life. Murder on Mars orbit ahoy!

And Danielle just losing her poo poo after landing was priceless. They should've had a sad space suit fist fight / rolling around in the dirt for another 2 minutes :allears:

Earth stuff Holy crap Sergei :ohdear: :smith: "They just hosed up most of my internal organs" *coughing fit* and then he's in the control room celebrating, genuinely happy. But at least the Margo plotline is going places since now someone else knows there's a spy at NASA. My tentative guess is that she'll try throwing someone under the bus, most likely Aleida herself.

I also wonder what Big Love Elon will do now. Karen left, and Ed didn't seal the deal. How will an insane billionaire tech-bro react?

And we still have 5 episodes to go, right? :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not surprised it was Aleida who found the engines were the same, but I have to say I just... don't know why she'd care? Like the engines were clearly hosed, Nasa would have beaten the Soviets, neither side is killing each other. Just let it go?

Probably because the soviets having the exact same engines with the exact same specs from the NASA engines from 2 years earlier is really suspect. if they had that, what else did they have? And how did they get that info? Hopefully Aleida notices how Margo seems to not care at all that the soviets had their engine design. I have to wonder how far Margo will let the soviets push her. Will she just keep giving them more poo poo while coming up with excuses, or will she just resign, or maybe refuse and let them expose her.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Cojawfee posted:

Probably because the soviets having the exact same engines with the exact same specs from the NASA engines from 2 years earlier is really suspect. if they had that, what else did they have? And how did they get that info? Hopefully Aleida notices how Margo seems to not care at all that the soviets had their engine design. I have to wonder how far Margo will let the soviets push her. Will she just keep giving them more poo poo while coming up with excuses, or will she just resign, or maybe refuse and let them expose her.

Yeah I get all that, I just don't know why Aleida would care so much. She's never been presented as this ultra-American person who wants to beat the Soviets.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Lot of ways it could go knowing this show. My guess is if she can get Sergei safe she'll give herself up, but if she can't, she might stitch up Aleida or Bill for it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I get all that, I just don't know why Aleida would care so much. She's never been presented as this ultra-American person who wants to beat the Soviets.

it's her life's work and apparently a pretty good design if you don't try to go at 125% speed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bananaquiter posted:

Please....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Laughing Zealot posted:

Loved seeing Poole, who's usually been the level headed one, loose her poo poo at the end :argh:

I wonder how the Sojourner is meant to take off again.

Same way it got off the moon, presumably--assuming any of that pre-staged fuel got there.