Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Blaziken386 posted:

slightly annoyed there seems to be no way to recharge training points in the post game, aside from going into NG+

even with knowledge gems, grinding classes takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It's not -too- bad if you basically solo a map as one character with a knowledge gem. There's this one mission in Azure Gleam that has a restriction of only female characters and I mastered Falcon Knight in just four short runs of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frankly it's just disappointing that Koei and Intsys listened to the fools and trolls that said Dimitri becoming an insane beserker that hallucinates the voices of the dead telling him to brutally murder all his enemies was dumb and bad when actually it was very good and cool.

A Dimitri that doesn't go full Boarman just ain't my guy.

I think I agree, but I do like the dynamic of
Dimitri: "revenge murder spree?"
Shez: "maybe not, dude"
Arval: "whoa whoa whoa, let's hear this guy out,"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do I make Gremories and Tricksters work

They both don't seem to do any damage no matter what I try and doing the Ashen Wolf reunion quest was miserable. Was trying to use people that Weren't Balthus and it just sucked and I wound up going back to meaty punch boy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
IMO there should have been like, at least one chapter where dimitri goes balls to the wall feral ragemonster. just have a "you can only play as dimitri" mission with a "kill 1500 enemies" requirement as the victory condition

that said, I did like the bit in the penultimate chapter where when you're fighting the house leaders' phantom copies and while Edelgard is creeped out and Claude is reminded about how he had to kill Shahid, Dimitri is just like "I get to kill myself? oh you shouldn't have! :)"

He's much more interesting as a character when he's visibly unhinged

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

that said, I did like the bit in the penultimate chapter where when you're fighting the house leaders' phantom copies and while Edelgard is creeped out and Claude is reminded about how he had to kill Shahid, Dimitri is just like "I get to kill myself? oh you shouldn't have! :)"

:hmmyes: Dropping "I cannot think of a foe I'd rather face" while fighting your clone is pretty raw.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do I make Gremories and Tricksters work

They both don't seem to do any damage no matter what I try and doing the Ashen Wolf reunion quest was miserable. Was trying to use people that Weren't Balthus and it just sucked and I wound up going back to meaty punch boy.

Don't know what to tell you on Trickster, I've got Petra running it and she's a wrecking ball. What's the Mt on the weapon you're using?

For Gremory never forget to pump weapon durability at the forge and take full advantage of your two spells. Also there's a combo, I believe it's Y -> Y -> Y -> X that drops a pillar of light, and if followed up by pressing and holding X you fire a persistent beam that can melt enemies you're doing effective damage against.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sydin posted:

:hmmyes: Dropping "I cannot think of a foe I'd rather face" while fighting your clone is pretty raw.

Don't know what to tell you on Trickster, I've got Petra running it and she's a wrecking ball. What's the Mt on the weapon you're using?

For Gremory never forget to pump weapon durability at the forge and take full advantage of your two spells. Also there's a combo, I believe it's Y -> Y -> Y -> X that drops a pillar of light, and if followed up by pressing and holding X you fire a persistent beam that can melt enemies you're doing effective damage against.

Petra/Yuri have Brave Swords and I somehow keep muscling into using the finisher where they skid on the ground leaving ghosts(??) or three of them dive at a enemy and just nothin dies. Then I switch to Shez or a Giant Fist and things die in one hit and 'ah'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I haven't played the Blue Lions route in 3H yet but I am a bit disappointed that Hopes Dimitri is a bit too well adjusted. He's more interesting when he's very obviously a bad dining hall meal away from going berserk.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Petra/Yuri have Brave Swords and I somehow keep muscling into using the finisher where they skid on the ground leaving ghosts(??) or three of them dive at a enemy and just nothin dies. Then I switch to Shez or a Giant Fist and things die in one hit and 'ah'

Hit light attack one more time before doing heavy attack and you should do like a jumping after image attack that does good damage. After just keep hitting heavy attack over and over and you'll do a bunch of fast forward slashes that do good damage to captains and also are fantastic for wave clearing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
All Tricksters will have an elemental Blade combat art, either Lightblade, Iceblade, or Shadowblade. In my experience they're really good, spammable arts and you should use them a lot.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I'm curious, in the penultimate chapter of AG does everyone fight Byleth when the final two phantoms are summoned, or is that determined by support points? I'm curious because the mission message just uses 'an ally' rather than their name

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frankly it's just disappointing that Koei and Intsys listened to the fools and trolls that said Dimitri becoming an insane beserker that hallucinates the voices of the dead telling him to brutally murder all his enemies was dumb and bad when actually it was very good and cool.

A Dimitri that doesn't go full Boarman just ain't my guy.

Why?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Dimitri without the boar is just a Blonde-Haired, Blue-Eyed White Guy Lord Who Fights Because War Is Bad and is the Rightful King.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
But there's been none of that. He's always 5 seconds from snapping and either killing everyone, himself, or both. And he's under even worse stress, because everyone's counting on him.

And frankly I'm glad that the matter of the Tragedy is being cleaned up. What's wrong with THAT?

There is nothing of worth in an idiot berserker dragging everyone and everything to Hell with him.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 7, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know why they listened to the fools and trolls either.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bloodly posted:

And frankly I'm glad that the matter of the Tragedy is being cleaned up. What's wrong with THAT?

There is nothing of worth in an idiot berserker dragging everyone and everything to Hell with him.

If he were a real-life person, I would agree. Thankfully, Dimitri von Fireemblem is an imaginary character in a video game so him going apeshit is good and interesting, actually.

Bloodly posted:

And he's under even worse stress, because everyone's counting on him.

This is still the case in Azure Moon.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Clawtopsy posted:

If he were a real-life person, I would agree. Thankfully, Dimitri von Fireemblem is an imaginary character in a video game so him going apeshit is good and interesting, actually.

This is still the case in Azure Moon.

It was stupid in AM though because they absolutely should not have been relying on him. That choice made every person in AM a worse character. AM would have been good if Felix and Annette could have defected in the final game. Or just had some sort of actual conflict instead of “ man Dimitri seems unwell, he should still lead the army tho, no question. Oops Rodrigue is dead and that somehow fixed everything!”

Also Divine Right of Kings is boring. AG is much more interesting now that they’re actually elaborating on the political climate of the Kingdom. At least as of chapter 9(?) where I am I feel that way.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Dimitri is like, okay when he's just this standard gallant prince sorta dude but if he's not gonna crush a dudes skull one handed with a deranged grin on his face whats even the point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Epi Lepi posted:

It was stupid in AM though because they absolutely should not have been relying on him. That choice made every person in AM a worse character. AM would have been good if Felix and Annette could have defected in the final game. Or just had some sort of actual conflict instead of “ man Dimitri seems unwell, he should still lead the army tho, no question. Oops Rodrigue is dead and that somehow fixed everything!”

Also Divine Right of Kings is boring. AG is much more interesting now that they’re actually elaborating on the political climate of the Kingdom. At least as of chapter 9(?) where I am I feel that way.

Mentally ill is funny, don't you know

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People always bring up how dumb it is that everyone is ok with Dimitri leading the army when it's basically just the case for 2 maps and after the first everyone except Gilbert is like "Man, we gotta ditch Dimitri this is a bad plan".

E: Like yeah sure if it doesn't work for you or whatever and it probably shoulda ended one map earlier. But the way people talk about it makes it seem like a much bigger part of the story.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People always bring up how dumb it is that everyone is ok with Dimitri leading the army when it's basically just the case for 2 maps and after the first everyone except Gilbert is like "Man, we gotta ditch Dimitri this is a bad plan".

It's a few months in game, and midway through he has every prisoner of war he has tortured to death.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like I added, probably shoulda ended one map earlier.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I still think even when 'sane' the fact that they pushed him to be king is kind of ridiculous. His route should've ended with him abdicating and refusing to become king.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

I still think even when 'sane' the fact that they pushed him to be king is kind of ridiculous. His route should've ended with him abdicating and refusing to become king.

Like he always wanted.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Man, I just finished up the late SB stuff where you deal with the former Duke Aegir's rebellion, and Ferdinand's role/subsequent supports. Every time I think about potential DLC for the game it's bittersweet knowing it simply can't involve Ferdinand, because I cannot imagine anybody else but Kametz in the role. :smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

This is one of those things that Hopes cleared up nicely. There's nobody else who has a remotely believable claim to the throne so he can't just walk away. And besides that, Dimitri is just too much of a duty-bound true believer in royalty and all that nonsense to give it up. He doesn't especially want to be king but he's drat well going to do it anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 7, 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God I love when games do the 'look at this unforgivable carnage. those loving savages. absolute loving monsters' thing where the entire group is standing in the middle of the street looking at something off screen while the buildings around them are perfectly fine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is one of those things that Hopes cleared up nicely. There's nobody else who has a remotely believable claim to the throne so he can't just walk away. And besides that, Dimitri is just too much of a duty-bound true believer in royalty and all that nonsense to give it up. He doesn't especially want to be king but he's drat well going to do it anyway.

Yeah, Hopes retroactively explains why in Azure Moon everybody was dead set on propping up Dimitri as king, even though he's suicidally insane at the time. The Kingdom is crest-obsessed - even more so than the other nations - and trying to prop anybody up besides the sole living owner of the Crest of Blaiddyd would have sparked a massive revolt over the succession, even if the group managed to dislodge Cornelia and re-unify the Kingdom. The options were put an unsuited king on the throne who will at least ensure internal peace, or rustle up a suitable king with no legitimate claim who will create a succession war.

Which is, IRL, a big reason why monarchies suck in general honestly. A lot of blatantly unsuited dipshits were elevated to Kingship throughout history because the whole institution of the monarchy was build on the supposed divine right of this one house to rule, and if you said "nah actually this guy sucks we're going to put in [other guy] who's more suited" then suddenly a lot of people come out of the woodwork thinking well hey, I'm even more suitable, and if anybody can have the throne now...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Mentally ill is funny, don't you know
nobody said this, you weirdo

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Maddening Difficulty is quite the jump huh. It doesn't really seem to give you any extra exp, gold, or class mastery, despite fighting level 100+ enemies on the very first mission that it applies to though

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

McTimmy posted:

I know the third bonus character also retains their outfit through any class change. I presume the fourth does as well. I don't know why they did it like that, but it means every character is now fair game to be bonus since they don't need to make new color palates for class swaps.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If the fourth unlockable character being referenced is Gatekeeper, no, he work like a regular ol' recruitable character and defaults to regular class outfits. He is also present in the camp and can used for story missions, do chores, and go on expeditions, but he doesn't have any support conversations. He does unlock a special paralogue mission that is fun and stupid hard.

Sounds like the Renown unlockables are essentially more like NPC characters that were made playable as a sort of fanservice bonus.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't played the Blue Lions route in 3H yet but I am a bit disappointed that Hopes Dimitri is a bit too well adjusted. He's more interesting when he's very obviously a bad dining hall meal away from going berserk.

Don’t be ridiculous; Dimitri never has a bad meal. Because he’s too depressed to taste anything.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

God I love when games do the 'look at this unforgivable carnage. those loving savages. absolute loving monsters' thing where the entire group is standing in the middle of the street looking at something off screen while the buildings around them are perfectly fine.

At least those buildings are rendered polygons instead of a 2D image wrapped around a cylinder.

I only got up to the time skip in houses and felt kind of burnt out because it took forever for the story to get going. Glad that in hopes it condenses all of white clouds into the prologue and then gets right into the conflict. I am pretty tired of fantasy evil, though I guess it’s inescapable in rpgs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Houses pretty explicitly wasn't about Fantasy Evil, though. That's kind of central to the whole "paths that will never cross" theme of it.

Thankfully Three Hopes listened to the critics and put the genocidal mole people front and center in the story! :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Houses pretty explicitly wasn't about Fantasy Evil, though. That's kind of central to the whole "paths that will never cross" theme of it.

Thankfully Three Hopes listened to the critics and put the genocidal mole people front and center in the story! :v:

And while Hopes is much more tightly plotted, yeah it turns out the conflict with Dimitri and Rhea is much more interesting than anything involving the Slitherers and them getting killed off in an ending slide by Hubert is what they deserved.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I didn’t mind the Slithers took center stage in AG. In fact, that’s what I was expecting since like all but one of the Blue Lions were directly affected by Duscur, so I was at least expecting that the masterminds of it would be the final foe of their story

Edit: but hey, I guess for people who wanted political intrigue they have Black Eagles and Golden Deer and for those who wanted a “standard” Fire Emblem story they have Blue Lions

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 7, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SgtSteel91 posted:

I didn’t mind the Slithers took center stage in AG. In fact, that’s what I was expecting since like all but one of the Blue Lions were directly affected by Duscur, so I was at least expecting that the masterminds of it would be the final foe of their story

Edit: but hey, I guess for people who wanted political intrigue they have Black Eagles and Golden Deer and for those who wanted a “standard” Fire Emblem story they have Blue Lions

Let's see:

Dimitri: Entire family dead, along with his supposed best friend Glenn.
Dedue: Entire family drad from reprisals.
Felix: Older brother Glenn dead, father overcome with grief.
Ingrid: Glenn dead, destroying the one betrothal she actually didn't mind and her house's hope for alliance.
Sylvain: Actually wasn't personally harmed/not as close to Glenn as the other three. Territory suffered greatly from Dimitri's uncle not supporting vs sreng.

Annette: Father became suicidal and abandoned her out of grief for his failure to protect his friends and king.
Mercedes: No direct tie to duscar tragedy, but jeritza states their terrible father had ties to slitherers so she still has reason to care about them.

Ashe: No direct ties to duscar tragedy, but Hopes confirms the Western Church had long since been taken over by slitherers, and Cristophe's assassination attempt on Rhea was a slitherer plot. Lonato's moves were also pushed by slitherer backing.

Sylvain is probably the person with a life least impacted by slitherer plots. The only one of these that was expanded on by Hopes was Ashe: 3 houses leaves it vague whether the western church was controlled by slitherers or not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
With the new Three Hopes stuff about the Western Church what's wild is that the reason they encourage Lonato into rebelling is entirely so that they can plant the my_crimes.txt scroll on him and redirect the knights to protecting Rhea, so that the slithers could break into the holy tomb and steal the SotC. Like the whole Lonato tragedy is the result of a failed gambit to steal a sword, lol.

SgtSteel91 posted:

What's funny is that in AM you actually kill off all the major named slithers, it's just that it's extremely anti-climactic because instead of a big showdown with Thales he just turns up as an enemy reinforcement in his Arundal guise on a completely unrelated map, and gets a spear unceremoniously thrown through his skull by Dimitri without really revealing his full role in everything.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
They don't seem to know that the SotC is in the tomb, it seems more like they were trying to do something regarding Seiros or her bones.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The game is kind of unclear as to what levels can be repeated and if there's any reason I would not want to do that. Can I repeat any territory mission or whatever they're called (the ones that are run-ups to the main chapter mission) with no penalty? Can I repeat the main chapter missions with no penalty, other than that if someone dies they die? Can I just grind forever if I want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes yes yes