Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I love LABS. I love it so much I bought the intro BBC orchestra thing from them, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Thanks for the Spitfire LABS tip. Never heard of it before!

EDIT: For anyone else just discovering this thing, I was not able to download the Spitfire Audio App on Chrome or Edge or Opera using any of the "Free Download" links on the site. But I managed to find a direct link to their installer at this page: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/info/library-manager/

Also, I thought the app was broken because when downloading one of the instruments (Drums) the app just said "Authorising… this might take a minute" for a full 30 minutes... but then it suddenly started downloading. Anyway, pretty cool once I got everything downloaded/installed.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2022

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Radiapathy posted:

Also, I thought the app was broken because when downloading one of the instruments (Drums) the app just said "Authorising… this might take a minute" for a full 30 minutes... but then it suddenly started downloading. Anyway, pretty cool once I got everything downloaded/installed.

The software is very broken. In my experience instruments will randomly disappear and it will refuse to recognise them when you try to reindex.

Hard to argue with free, but maybe don't depend on it for important work.

For something more reliable from the same people, have a look at decent sampler + piano book.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I regularly have issue with LABS (and BBC Orchestra) going "missing" and demanding a reinstall.
Shame I can't just point it at the folder they are always installed in and go "they are here, look, verify"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

all of the spitfire player libs do that periodically :negative: and if it's a bigger thing, the app won't tell you, but you have limited reinstalls and have to chat up support if you run out

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I had that happen to me with the first update after I first got labs, but it hasn't occurred since. Fingers crossed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Aurora DSP is a Polish plugin company and I've posted about their Rhino amp sim in the past and used it in a track that I liked the results on. They're doing an "Aurora Craft" plugin now that is an official amp model for the Laboga Mr. Hector amp. It isn't for everyone but if you like heavy riffs and thick mids it's got 'em. Really thick mids. I actually like it most for leads, where its thickness is really pleasant to my ears and cuts well in a mix - I have other options with a drier character that I like for riffing personally. Intro price is $49, but right now you can get it for a way lower price.

Go to the youtube page for this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-PIsc6rYUE

If you click his link to get the amp sim, it'll put it in your cart at 20% off. Then, you can stack an all-purpose $25 voucher they're running as an end-of-May promotion, using the code MAY-25.

Final price for me was $14.20, quite a savings. I've been jamming with the sim this evening and liking it a lot, though in my opinion much like Rhino it does not load into its best sound with the default state. And, like Rhino, you've got a bunch of tools to tame unruly lows so take advantage of those as needed. It isn't nearly as abstract as Rhino, much more like a conventional amp sim where you've got pedals that are before the amp to shape the tone, then the amp itself, then the cab sim / IR loader, and then post-processing effects. I like it but it definitely has its own sound and thing going on, might want to demo it before committing.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 28, 2022

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Ruffian Price posted:

all of the spitfire player libs do that periodically :negative:

Now that you mention it, I installed two of the LABS modules a couple weeks ago, and yesterday when I fired up their installer to get the rest I noticed that the two I already installed now show up as uninstalled. I played them in cakewalk and they’re definitely installed, so…:cheersdoge:

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Have any of you tried Circles drum samples? I keep getting the Instagram ad for their dead 1975 pack and I think I’d enjoy having those kinds of sounds to play with.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i've been doing some experiments doing some generative music with phase plant. here's the latest one in the form of a short idm type jam. i want to work it into a real song but that'll involve recording for a long time and then picking and chopping the parts that sound good but for a straight render it's already sounding good. the only thing that's traditionally programmed is the epiano everything else is just a long sustained note with lfos and random generators and such doing the pitches and gates.

https://soundcloud.com/all-caps-rin/phase-plant-generative-experiment/s-KYtJonuUZHY

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this kicks rear end and is a good bit of encouragement to focus on new stuff i'm learning in bitwig.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have Baby Audio's Comeback Kid and use Reaper? Reaper crashes whenever I export anything with Comeback Kid on it across multiple versions of both and uI haven't found anything about this combination crashing anywhere else. It's a pain in the rear end because that delay is fantastic for the new wave stuff I'm working on.

Reaper's freeze track function is a lifesaver with this one.

On the synth side, I've become a big Cherry Audio's Dreamsynth is a LOT of fun. Three oscillators with two waveforms each that can be blended and modulated like a two pole vector synth and an independent string section can get some really cool sounds, and, with the samples included, you can even make full loops with drums, bass, and a simple melody.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Should I buy UAD stuff on sale in advance of UA coming to Windows stand alone?

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

algebra testes posted:

Should I buy UAD stuff on sale in advance of UA coming to Windows stand alone?

I'm thinking of holding out until more of their stuff is available with Spark. Not sure there's anything they have available yet that I don't already have an analog of.

The plugins I want most from UAD are:

Distressor
Lexicon 480L
Lexicon 224
Studio D Chorus
AMS Digital Reverb

Other than that I'm good.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ruffian Price posted:

Playbox is gonna be the sound of 2022 imo, legit cried first messing with it

I hadn’t heard of it, and checked out a few videos then saw that Komplete Now was only ten bucks a month so I tried it out, and I don’t get everyone’s love for this plug-in, am I crazy. Every YouTube review is like ‘HOLY poo poo BEST PLUG IN EVER???’ and they just overreact to the presets, but I really don’t like the presets, or the idea of having like three trendy sounds mapped out so you can play chord progressions with different chords mapped to each key, every preset sort of begs to be played in a certain way and I can almost hear the lovely tunes that these presets are used in when I test them out. The premise doesn’t bother me at all, I love presets too and use them all the time, that’s not the issue, it’s the specific way they’re used and the generic sounds used that do. Sorry, I didn’t mean to poo poo on you or the plug-in and I love Native Instruments stuff normally, so I was surprised by this.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Anybody have a native instruments voucher they wouldn’t mind sharing with me? I’d sure appreciate it!

EDIT: Got Kontakt with a crossgrade so I’m set! Thanks anyway!

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 7, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Playbox isn't really my thing, and tbh a lot of the expansions recently have seemed kinda bleh. Body Mechanik is sweet but since then it seems to have been mostly lofi/chill hip hop stuff, at least from what I've seen.
This in and of itself is fine, but they feel kinda like composer toolkits for media rather than for music for its own end if this makes sense?
Like "we need a cue that sounds sorta like Nujabes. You have 48 hours"
I fully admit the ambiguous is it a rhodes or guitar that's been effected, low passed with reverb with maybe bit reduction isn't a sound I'm after often though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As I'm trying to pivot into the coffee shop hip hop stuff i'm intrigued by playbox but i ain't paying 200 bucks for it, especially when i have complete 13.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The more of those things I hear, the more I reckon its down to clever processing after and the base sounds themselves could probably be done with any of the basic Kontakt instruments and some jazzy chords. Guitar Rig 6 after a Rhodes patch, maybe resample your sounds and reverse the audio, chop and resequence before effecting it like Linkin Park did for Somewhere I Belong.
This isnt meant to sound critical or anything, I'd just like NI to carry on doing more weird experimental poo poo as well as the Play Series.
If I was new to computers and music those Play Series instruments would be as vital to me as Reason 2.5 was back in the stone age. Oddly enough, I find the way effects and routing in the Play Series unintuitive?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DammitJanet posted:

I'm thinking of holding out until more of their stuff is available with Spark. Not sure there's anything they have available yet that I don't already have an analog of.

The plugins I want most from UAD are:

Distressor
Lexicon 480L
Lexicon 224
Studio D Chorus
AMS Digital Reverb

Other than that I'm good.

In case you didn't know 224 is already on Spark, and is pretty great. I already owned most of the Spark stuff and a whole bunch of other UAD plugs, and am super excited for them to move more plugins onto it. I travel a lot and really would prefer to have my UAD plugins available while on the road.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I wish NI would've offered the discount for Komplete outright, but the trick of buying Select at NI with the SELECT22 voucher code and upgrading to the full version still works, bringing it down to half price (just make sure to register the serial and log out and in the NI account to update the eligibility)

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Anyone have experience with Acustica plugins? I'm really having a hard time parsing the quality vs price, particularly because their promotional materials have, let's say, an unabashed bravado. Reviews seem generally positive in terms of sound, they do convolution based vst of analog hardware and it's all apparently very musical and natural, but also seems to have performance issues for some people, and some people consider it snake oil. I know this can be pretty subjective...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

They have insanely high CPU usage and while there are some things they seem to be pretty good at, it isn't anything personally that I haven't been able to find elsewhere with less downside.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Acustica's massive passive is quite nice, but tbh I'm mostly using the new Pulsar one more these days

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Plugin Alliance doing a huge sale, 75% off a bunch of stuff. Got an Engl amp sim and and SSL channel strip for peanuts compared to usual price

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I might just be done buying Waves plugs. The other day I picked up MV2, Renaissance Comp, and F6 Dynamic EQ during the "3 for $66" sale.

I already own:

WNS Noise Suppressor
Vocal Rider
Sibilance
Renaissance Vox
Renaissance Bass
J37 Tape
CR8 Creative Sampler
Clarity Vx
CLA-2A
CLA-3A
CLA-76
CLA-NX

I'm thinking that might be all I need from Waves, but I'm open to suggestions if you guys think there's anything else I should check out. I kind of like the sound Abbey Road Vinyl but not sure how much I'd actually use it. I know the Scheps OmniChannel and SSL Bus Compressor are popular choices but I already rely pretty heavily on Plugin Alliance's Lindell 80 Series and Townhouse Bus Compressor for those jobs.

Any other suggestions?

I also picked up Kontakt, so if there are any libraries you guys recommend I'm all ears. Thanks!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

DammitJanet posted:

I also picked up Kontakt, so if there are any libraries you guys recommend I'm all ears. Thanks!

what kind of music do you make?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
My general rule with Kontakt is anything based off a synth probably has a better, easier to use, more modifiable, and far less storage and resource intensive vst floating around. It really shines on acoustic instruments when you learn how to use articulations.

Sax Fury is usually on sale cheap if you want some harder sax playing, and I got Grindhouse a while back and it's full of great sounds and public domain sound clips from old movies.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

d0grent posted:

what kind of music do you make?

Mostly rock in various forms, but I also love to do stuff with soft synths that evokes an '80s/'90s pop/new wave vibe. I also make backing music for my youtube videos and I do voice over work from home as well. Cinematic sound-design type stuff on occasion too.

OutOfPrint posted:

My general rule with Kontakt is anything based off a synth probably has a better, easier to use, more modifiable, and far less storage and resource intensive vst floating around. It really shines on acoustic instruments when you learn how to use articulations.

Sax Fury is usually on sale cheap if you want some harder sax playing, and I got Grindhouse a while back and it's full of great sounds and public domain sound clips from old movies.

Copy that. My youtube videos have a '70s/'80s film look so I'll definitely check out Grindhouse.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Plugin Alliance doing a huge sale, 75% off a bunch of stuff. Got an Engl amp sim and and SSL channel strip for peanuts compared to usual price

Are there any virtual instruments that you would recommend?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OutOfPrint posted:

My general rule with Kontakt is anything based off a synth probably has a better, easier to use, more modifiable, and far less storage and resource intensive vst floating around.

Hard agreement.

While Kontakt has the Moog, Prophet etc filter models a dedicated analog modeling synth will do a better job and have all the quirks you want. Plus, effects like audio rate modulations (FM, sync) and PWM are difficult in sampledbased form.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any virtual instruments that you would recommend?
I like bx_oberhausen, but there is fierce competition in the analog emulation arena.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 5, 2022

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

I've never understood the appeal of Kontakt instruments that replicate synths. Are there any synth sounds that are SO hard to make that you absolutely need a Kontakt instrument for it? On top of that you can't actually meaningfully, fundamentally change the sound that comes out of the box, which is a huge minus. It's like ReFX Nexus, except you only get one sound instead of a few hundred.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It does have Massive's oscillators and filters on board now so you can do cool poo poo with routing voices between different outputs for surround/object-based sequences. Every paid library is just sampling the same analog synths though

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

slowfreq posted:

I've never understood the appeal of Kontakt instruments that replicate synths. Are there any synth sounds that are SO hard to make that you absolutely need a Kontakt instrument for it? On top of that you can't actually meaningfully, fundamentally change the sound that comes out of the box, which is a huge minus. It's like ReFX Nexus, except you only get one sound instead of a few hundred.

For the most part I agree, but there are some libraries with synth sounds that are altered or mangled in various ways that I find useful. Things like Samplephonics' Dirty Modular, Rhythmic Robot's Loopscape and Loopscape Vinyl, and Sound Dust's whole catalog (although a lot of that is a combination of synths and acoustic instruments).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I don't think I'd go out of my way to purchase a sample based Kontakt synth, but I've definitely used some that were included with Komplete before (e.g. Analog Dreams). Some of these are more complex that just playing back recorded samples, giving lots of options for modifying the sounds. Taken to the extreme, you've got synths like Omnisphere which I believe is largely sample based, but still an incredibly powerful sound design tool.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Omnisphere - like Falcon and VPS Avenger - is a bit of a hybrid. The big thing with Kontakt is really the scripting engine and being the first to dethrone Gigasampler.

I find it about as exciting to build patches in Kontakt as doing my taxes in Excel on a Friday evening.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been leery of looking into VST synths because I'd want to get into a thousand-knob monster and just make noises, but I'm meanwhile trying to do music theory stuff and learn how to actually use notes. Nobody better recommend me some subtractive, FM, and additive VSTs like that, no-sir-ee.

Can I generally trust free VST and free VST recommendations online? At worst, I found some places were fussy about downloading some and required a few hoops there, but nothing like I was entering a gray part of the Internet.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad/malicious vst in 15 years of free vst collecting. What are your concerns?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There's a spectrum with "simple download link" on one end and "not even AdBlock inside a VM will save me" when it comes to certain classes and communities of things. VSTs so far have had a lot of "you must create an account with us so we can harvest your email address," which is pretty banal but is still a place on that spectrum. I did find another site with the 50 misleading download links kind of trick, which is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

after a few years of collecting tons of random free vsts the only issue i’ve run into is that i didn’t use most of them