Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

was the CPC’s conclusion that the fall of the ussr began with kruschevite revisionism a line they only adopted with Xi or something they thought during the Deng/Jiang days too

fuckin' Mao thought that Khrushchev was a revisionist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Extremely funny to think jacinda is not a liberal

I have no illusions jacinda is anything other than a liberal but that doesn't stop other liberals from turning on you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I have no illusions jacinda is anything other than a liberal but that doesn't stop other liberals from turning on you

True

Fwiw the Australian china nodding video, but with kiwi accents, is basically why she did it anyway

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Palladium posted:

Libs at techpowerup forums thinks 40% of china's GDP being manufacturing is a huge liability to the chinese, lmao

it’s important to have an advanced economy that finds balance between all the important things: apps, serving treats to people who make apps, and selling derivatives of home loans. you can just buy the steel you need from a dumber, less clever economy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is having random pictures of your countrys leader in your house some kind of weird asian thing because this is the first time ive seen a non communist version of that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

is having random pictures of your countrys leader in your house some kind of weird asian thing because this is the first time ive seen a non communist version of that

lots of people in Turkey have pics of Ataturk, Erdogan, Erbakan, Gulen etc. on their walls.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

i've seen at least one reagan photo in a home here in california from when he was was potus

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

He was right.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

Libs at techpowerup forums thinks 40% of china's GDP being manufacturing is a huge liability to the chinese, lmao
if your press-promoted stock market "economy" is based entirely off of fraud, speculation, and a combination of the two, you start believing that the economy doesn't actually need things like "actual goods to trade" and "a living, thriving population" and you start seeing them as unnecessary and start removing words like "material" from your vocabulary

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

even the Soviet scientists that were recalled from China were like wtf

https://twitter.com/TheSocProgram/status/1390421522494357508?t=z6TEQ2keehDJYPwwHbBDAQ&s=19

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
becker and the PSL gang have been doing a lot of great media work lately

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

even the Soviet scientists that were recalled from China were like wtf

https://twitter.com/TheSocProgram/status/1390421522494357508?t=z6TEQ2keehDJYPwwHbBDAQ&s=19

I watched a Chinese think tank described the 156 industrial projects Soviet helped China started "the original and still the most successful infrasturture project."

It's an interest way to see it.

I wonder if Soviet has a bigger hand in helping other country industrializd. Did Soviet try to help India industrialize with xyz projects?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched a Chinese think tank described the 156 industrial projects Soviet helped China started "the original and still the most successful infrasturture project."

I wonder if Soviet has a bigger hand in helping other country industrializd. Did Soviet try to help India industrialize with xyz projects?

Yeah, there were building dams, and they were starting to build nuclear reactors by the late 80s.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yep. I can't name exactly the projects, but I know that steel and much of the heavy industries were helped along by the USSR.

Other countries like Nepal next door, the help the soviets gave us was all around me all my life. The hospital I was born was built by the soviets, the main hydro dam that provided electricity to the capitals industrial area was built by the soviets, the farming tools factory and supply system (that is still unchanged even now with subsidized products available from regional govt suppliers) that my village used to get farming supplies.

A good book that isnt just a JSTOR article would be "Humanitarian Invasion: Global Development in Cold War Afghanistan". It's great because it compares both the US and Soviet aid systems that were in place at the time.

While the US was busy sending us more anthropologists from Cornell to tell us why we were innately ungovernable because we are hill people, the USSR was training every single doctor, geologist, and engineer that I ever interacted with while growing up.

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Jul 7, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gobloid3/status/1544960863504945154

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if your press-promoted stock market "economy" is based entirely off of fraud, speculation, and a combination of the two, you start believing that the economy doesn't actually need things like "actual goods to trade" and "a living, thriving population" and you start seeing them as unnecessary and start removing words like "material" from your vocabulary

whoops we ran out of ammo against china in the first day of war; should have invested less in crypto backed derivatives

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember US built some power plants in Latin American countries. I wonder when did US stop helping developing countries develop, possibly when FDR died.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember US built some power plants in Latin American countries. I wonder when did US stop helping developing countries develop, possibly when FDR died.

what do you mean stopped? ever heard of the imf?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

fart simpson posted:

what do you mean stopped? ever heard of the imf?

international mammon feeder

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Oglethorpe posted:

international mammon feeder

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

The indian petrochemical industry's base was built among other things with soviet support. We did discover our own reservoirs after Indo STANVAC came out with big huge busts in western bengal.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
listening to jacinda's speech, i was surprised how much it walked back some of her recent anti-china rhetoric – said it was stupid to assume the ukraine invasion is some inevitable template for an invasion of taiwan, and rejected the idea that "the east" is an enemy just because some countries haven't vociferously criticised russia.

it's all wrapped up in the usual liberal rules-based international order stuff of course, but still pretty refreshing. i did roll my eyes at her talking up states' important role in regulating extremist content while her government is desperately trying to avoid progressing its promised hate speech reforms tho.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

also it rules how you can immediately tell which one of these guys is mi5 and which is fbi

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

idk but smdh if you don't have a picture of your leader somewhere in your room
fake edit:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

exmarx posted:

listening to jacinda's speech, i was surprised how much it walked back some of her recent anti-china rhetoric – said it was stupid to assume the ukraine invasion is some inevitable template for an invasion of taiwan, and rejected the idea that "the east" is an enemy just because some countries haven't vociferously criticised russia.

it's all wrapped up in the usual liberal rules-based international order stuff of course, but still pretty refreshing. i did roll my eyes at her talking up states' important role in regulating extremist content while her government is desperately trying to avoid progressing its promised hate speech reforms tho.

she's too rational, we should coup

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The US can't coup New Zealand because they can't find it on their maps

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

idk much about Assad or Syria but unconditional support for the Who Must Go meme

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/abramowitz/status/1544758328101949440

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

danger? idk about that, it feels significantly safer for me as a white guy here than it does when i go back to america

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also lol the past 10 years has seen incredible material gains for most chinese people. it’s one of the real astonishing things ive witnessed. the median salary in shenzhen has tripled. sounds bad to worse to me

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fart simpson posted:

danger? idk about that, it feels significantly safer for me as a white guy here than it does when i go back to america

Try putting yourself in a billionaire’s shoes before posting such callous nonsense, I’m begging you.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1544996802956509185

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Polish… scientist? well now I’ve heard everything

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

fart simpson posted:

also lol the past 10 years has seen incredible material gains for most chinese people. it’s one of the real astonishing things ive witnessed. the median salary in shenzhen has tripled. sounds bad to worse to me

the more material possessions we have, the less free we truly are...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

Polish… scientist? well now I’ve heard everything
didn’t know you were Croatian. Zdravo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Smartest polish nuclear scientist: died of radiation poisoning.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnni/status/1544997164170055680

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

who will design screen doors for their submarines now

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

Smartest polish nuclear scientist: died of radiation poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCAsianAmerica/status/1544743505876099075