Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the gunfuckers get, uh, their gun

please do not gently caress the barrels of the GAU-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the barrels.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

The Ukrainians seem to be getting a lot of use from less-survivable airframes, I'm not sure the A-10 would be any worse, if not a lot better due to firing a wider range of more modern munitions.

Suicide Watch posted:

Agreed but the A-10 is on record as having some of the lowest maintenance costs across the USAF fleet, at $6K/hr, which is lower than the F-16's $8.2K/hr or mudhen's $21.3K/hr.
https://fighterjetsworld.com/air/maintenance-operating-costs-per-flight-hour-of-militarys-fighter-jets/11995/

Yes there's training but in terms of ability to support it should be better than other airframes.

The thing is, is that it doesn't really matter that the A-10 airframe is more survivable. Once it takes damage it is just as out of commission for repairs as any other CAS. And if you want to use that gun it's probably going to be taking more damage than anything the UA has right now.

I still say ship it if the UA can handle it though, since it still can be used in the same way as the planes they have now are being used.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

honestly just take the big gun out and ship them the airframe without it, let the Ukrainians strap even more bombs and poo poo to it

The A-10 can’t fly without the gun and ammo. NOAA tried and they had to add a fuckload of ballast.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Goddamn they're loving stupid

mlmp08 posted:

Song: I ain’t worried about it :dance:

Pilot: I am at treetops in a SU-25 firing unguided rockets on a parabolic trajectory. I am worried about so many things.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1544446011921268737?s=21&t=RowIn0jxGauIxnbnjS4vTA
Red Five I'm going in

Uncle Enzo posted:

Also, given that UA is still successfully flying su-25's this long into the war, I bet they could make good use of our A-10's. They get used for what they were always intended, the air force doesn't have to maintain them anymore, and now there's just that many less enemy tanks in the world.
:flashfap: Seeing 'em used against insurgents was one thing, seeing A-10s used against tanks in glorious 120fps 4K would be amazing. It would make A-10 footage from the Gulf War look outdated....assuming they don't get shot to poo poo

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 7, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jimmy Smuts posted:

:flashfap: Seeing 'em used against insurgents was one thing, seeing A-10s used against tanks in glorious 120fps 4K would be amazing. It would make A-10 footage from the Gulf War look outdated....assuming they don't get shot to poo poo

I'm pretty sure any tank kills in the A-10 in Ukraine would be done with the missiles. Though, I guess with how lovely the Russian tanks are, the gun would be work, if it wasn't for how absurdly common AA weapons are.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

then issue the GAUs to every one of the a-10 lovers so they can have their own gau to sleep with inside of like a sleeping pod.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FrozenVent posted:

The A-10 can’t fly without the gun and ammo. NOAA tried and they had to add a fuckload of ballast.

I had no idea, but that is hilarious. TIL

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kchama posted:

I'm pretty sure any tank kills in the A-10 in Ukraine would be done with the missiles. Though, I guess with how lovely the Russian tanks are, the gun would be work, if it wasn't for how absurdly common AA weapons are.

Well a whole lot of the more modern tanks have already eaten javelins and the like, I think the gun is pretty capable of loving up a T-62. But yeah, it's not a friendly environment for gun runs regardless.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

2011 for the USS Missouri.

Disregard it was USS Wisconsin and USS New Jersey. Iowa was gone after the gun turret explosion, Missouri followed her after the Gulf War, and the other two were political footballs in congress until 2011.

The New Jersey was a floating museum when I visited it while in the boy scouts in like 2003.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

The Air Force just proved it can land A-10s on the highway for quick turn arounds.

https://soldiersystems.net/2022/07/07/historic-highway-landing-advances-agile-combat-employment/

SSD posted:

ALGER COUNTY, Mich. (AFNS) —

Air National Guard A-10 Thunderbolt II, Air Force Special Operations Command MC-12W Liberty, C-145A Combat Coyote and U-28A Draco, and a C-146A Wolfhound from the Air Force Reserves landed, took off and performed integrated combat turns on a closed 9,000-foot section of Michigan highway M-28.

It was the first time integrated combat turns, which enable the quick rearming and refueling of a running jet, have been conducted on a public highway in the United States. The temporary landing zone is one of several progressive training scenarios held this week during the Michigan Air National Guard’s exercise Northern Agility 22-1 in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Northern Agility 22-1 demonstrates the Air Force’s Agile Combat Employment doctrine — ready to execute missions quickly in unpredictable ways. The landing zone was named “Hawk LZ” in honor of F-16 pilot Maj. Durwood “Hawk” Jones from the Wisconsin ANG’s 115th Fighter Wing, who lost his life in a training accident in Michigan in 2020.

“Northern Agility 22-1 is an historic exercise that supports the Air Force’s directive to ‘accelerate change or lose,’ as well as the ability of our Airmen to generate combat power anytime, anywhere,” said Brig. Gen. Bryan Teff, assistant adjutant general and commander of the Michigan ANG. “Michigan is a champion for Agile Combat Employment, so when it comes to leveraging our state’s unique partnerships, training environment and resources to ensure the Joint Force stays one step ahead of our adversaries, today was a huge success.”

Staging and additional training activities for contested logistics, sustainment and multi-capable Airmen concepts were being held this week at other locations in Alger County, including Sawyer International Airport and Hanley Field.

Participating units include AFSOC’s 1st Special Operations Group, Hurlburt Field, Florida, and 6th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Florida; Air Force Reserve’s 119th Special Operations Wing, Duke Field; Michigan ANG’s 127th Wing, Selfridge ANG Base; Oklahoma ANG’s 137th Special Operations Wing, Will Rogers ANG Base; and Maryland ANG’s 175th Fighter Wing, Warfield ANG Base. Additionally, an MQ-9 Reaper from the North Dakota ANG’s 119th Wing, Fargo ANG Base, crewed by Airmen from the Michigan ANG’s 110th Wing, Battle Creek ANG Base, were involved.

“Northern Agility 22-1 would not be possible without the long-term partnerships that exist between the Michigan National Guard and the Michigan State Police, Michigan Department of Transportation, Alger County Sheriff’s Office, and of course, support from our neighbors in the Upper Peninsula,” said Lt. Col. Brian Wyrzykowski, Northern Agility 22-1 lead operations planner.

The Kelly Johnson Joint All-Domain Innovation Center also teamed with industry partners during Northern Agility 22-1 to demonstrate technologies for augmented reality to enhance the multi-capable Airman concept, rapid integration of the command and control ecosystem, synthetic aperture radar and advanced threat detection and visualization.

“Michigan is home to an incredible manufacturing spirit, business culture, and immense pride and patriotism that makes it a great place for the Department of Defense to continue to train for the future war fight,” said Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers, Michigan National Guard adjutant general and Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs director.”

Story by Capt Andrew Layton, Michigan National Guard

U.S. Air National Guard photo by MSgt David Kujawa

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had no idea, but that is hilarious. TIL

This thing is loving magical.

The Thunderhog, y’all.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23088/the-tragic-tale-of-the-a-10-thunderhog-storm-chasing-jet

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

The New Jersey was a floating museum when I visited it while in the boy scouts in like 2003.

She was, yes but Congress kept kicking the political football for a bit well after NJ and Wisconsin were officially converted. I remember right up until the Zumwalts actually were recieved by the Navy certain people in Congress wanted the Navy to retain capability to reactivate the two Iowas that had by that point been sold and carved up into museums.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
https://www.ibtimes.com/russia-threatens-take-back-alaska-us-over-war-sanctions-3564746

Best of luck with that one .

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

At hostpital, lost fingat!

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Stultus Maximus posted:

At hostpital, lost fingblyat!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1544688787887980545

https://ridl.io/import-substitution-or-going-parallel/

quote:

Almost 100% of seeds in crop farming are imported, and such material is supplied by the global monopolists in this field (60% of the global seed market is now held by Germany’s Monsanto and Corteva from the United States), as it cannot be effectively re­produced­ in crop growing, which means that the dependency­ also looks strong here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

She was, yes but Congress kept kicking the political football for a bit well after NJ and Wisconsin were officially converted. I remember right up until the Zumwalts actually were recieved by the Navy certain people in Congress wanted the Navy to retain capability to reactivate the two Iowas that had by that point been sold and carved up into museums.

Still think they should have rebuilt them as command ships. Perhaps keep a big gun turret for institutional knowledge.

Yea I know it’s a stupid idea but it’s not like the navy isn’t known for them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lmao. Fucker who owes me a gpu and or refund works for corteva

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Most American electronics are manufactured in China. What would stop a few containers worth of parts from getting diverted to Russia?.

American manufacturers would have almost as many problems as Russians trying to build new plants.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The X-man cometh posted:

Most American electronics are manufactured in China. What would stop a few containers worth of parts from getting diverted to Russia?.

American manufacturers would have almost as many problems as Russians trying to build new plants.

Many companies making sensitive stuff don’t do final assembly in China, if only due to IP concerns.

This of course hasn’t kept things like sidewinder guidance computers from showing up in Chinese flea markets but hey the intention is there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

Your iPhone will be assembled in China, but the memory, processor, and other semiconductors in it are almost all made in Taiwan, Japan, or South Korea. France, The Netherlands, Germany, and the US round out the list of countries with any major semiconductor industry to speak. China does have domestic fabs, but they barely scratch the surface of their own internal demand, and nobody wants to use their poo poo anyway so they're largely kept out of the international market for sensitive applications.

Additionally, things like avionics are ITARS restricted and heavily controlled from a supply chain perspective.

There will be some sanctions evasions, but not enough to account for the massive shortfall in critical electronics components they're now experiencing.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psydude posted:

They were all stricken in 1999 but were still subject to being taken back into service by the Navy until like 2011 because Congress designated them as mobilization assets or some nonsense. I think technically the Midway still is, at least that was the scuttlebutt among the docents when I volunteered there.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Kchama posted:

The thing is, is that it doesn't really matter that the A-10 airframe is more survivable. Once it takes damage it is just as out of commission for repairs as any other CAS. And if you want to use that gun it's probably going to be taking more damage than anything the UA has right now.

I still say ship it if the UA can handle it though, since it still can be used in the same way as the planes they have now are being used.

Oh I was putting the A-10 and Frogfoot in the same category of "less-survivable". My thinking is, if they can get meaningful support from a su-25 then an a-10 should do at least as well. I don't think the su-25 has any particular capabilities that would let it fly where an a-10 couldn't. Even forgetting the gun the a-10 can fire a wide variety of powerful ground attack munitions with decent standoff capability.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

psydude posted:

Your iPhone will be assembled in China, but the memory, processor, and other semiconductors in it are almost all made in Taiwan, Japan, or South Korea. France, The Netherlands, Germany, and the US round out the list of countries with any major semiconductor industry to speak. China does have domestic fabs, but they barely scratch the surface of their own internal demand, and nobody wants to use their poo poo anyway so they're largely kept out of the international market for sensitive applications.

Additionally, things like avionics are ITARS restricted and heavily controlled from a supply chain perspective.

There will be some sanctions evasions, but not enough to account for the massive shortfall in critical electronics components they're now experiencing.
I wonder how much institutional knowledge is still floating around in Russia from when the USSR had a decent semiconductor & computing industry in the '70s to early '90s. They were drat good at reverse engineering foreign semiconductors & making them themselves. It's how we ended up with Tetris

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I wonder how much institutional knowledge is still floating around in Russia from when the USSR had a decent semiconductor & computing industry in the '70s to early '90s. They were drat good at reverse engineering foreign semiconductors & making them themselves. It's how we ended up with Tetris

The sense I get is that the second they invaded Ukraine and sanctions started kicking in, a significant fraction of their tech employees fled the country.

Also someone posted more detail about their chip fab capabilities at some point in the DnD thread, and IIRC they're something like 15 years behind the state of the art in terms of transistor density. You can't copy what you don't have the facilities to manufacture.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The sense I get is that the second they invaded Ukraine and sanctions started kicking in, a significant fraction of their tech employees fled the country.

Also someone posted more detail about their chip fab capabilities at some point in the DnD thread, and IIRC they're something like 15 years behind the state of the art in terms of transistor density. You can't copy what you don't have the facilities to manufacture.

As well I would imagine that most folks with background and skills in that kinda thing from the 70s and onward probably left in the braindrain following the end of the cold war, or got hit by ye olde terrible life expectancy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jimmy Smuts posted:

N'thing, but much of that institutional knowledge walked away long ago. The 1980s and especially 1990s were a dire time in the Soviet bloc. People who could get higher paying jobs abroad often did so. I've met a bunch of them in my own career.

Also, the Soviet semiconductor industry wasn't all that great. Plenty of smart people, never enough funding to do much with their abilities. Their manufacturing technology was always far behind, and suffered from yield and reliability issues. Thanks to these and other limitations they didn't successfully clone anything significantly more complicated than an 8-bit CPU, and had little scope to pursue original designs. The people who left upgraded their pay and career opportunities in a huge way.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Oh I was putting the A-10 and Frogfoot in the same category of "less-survivable". My thinking is, if they can get meaningful support from a su-25 then an a-10 should do at least as well. I don't think the su-25 has any particular capabilities that would let it fly where an a-10 couldn't. Even forgetting the gun the a-10 can fire a wide variety of powerful ground attack munitions with decent standoff capability.
Isn't the Su-25 100-150mph faster than the A-10? Seems like that speed would matter when both sides seem to be resorting to parabolic rocket lob shots.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

BobHoward posted:

N'thing, but much of that institutional knowledge walked away long ago. The 1980s and especially 1990s were a dire time in the Soviet bloc. People who could get higher paying jobs abroad often did so. I've met a bunch of them in my own career.

Also, the Soviet semiconductor industry wasn't all that great. Plenty of smart people, never enough funding to do much with their abilities. Their manufacturing technology was always far behind, and suffered from yield and reliability issues. Thanks to these and other limitations they didn't successfully clone anything significantly more complicated than an 8-bit CPU, and had little scope to pursue original designs. The people who left upgraded their pay and career opportunities in a huge way.
Yeah that's kind of what I was tracking, in that they cloned 8-bit CPUs a lot. However, their capabilities beyond that was unknown to me until now.
I got to find that part of the DnD thread, as I thought they tossed all their fab capabilities out the window in the early '90s. I had no clue Russia could still fab any CPUs at all, even lovely Z80 or 6502 clones.
edit: imagine being a Russian engineer trying to replace a modern CPU in a missile with a bunch of '80s tech; i feel sorry for that guy even though '80s tech surprisingly gets the job done a lot

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 8, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Realizing now I learned more about soviet era hardware playing the Desert Combat mod than i ever learned in any military history course

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Is that NASAMs? Or, something else?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

Is that NASAMs? Or, something else?

An AMRAAM doesn't typically burn like a sparkler (S-300 kinda does), and every other time that the US has announced the fielding of a system more complex than ammo, bandages, and MREs to Ukraine, it has taken a few days to ship, a few weeks to train, a few more days to be in action. So the odds of that missile being an AMRAAM already seem very, very low.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

You really aren't wrong to do that. I've just heard so much A-10 Can Take A Huge Beating, Best Plane Ever! hoo-rah. Which is great for the pilot usually, but a damaged A-10 is out of the fight just as much as a damaged Su-25.

The Su-25 is much faster and more nimble than the A-10, and the A-10's gun turned out to be pretty lackluster against anything with decent armor. (How much Russia has left of anything with decent armor is in question, though.) So the A-10's real purpose would be largely a platform to launch missiles from or spooking infantry, sometimes to death. Which is probably why Ukraine wanted them as a viable alternative to their probably not huge supply of Su-25s.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Last I recall the A-10 gun was never intended to be effective against more modernish armored vehicles like a tank compared to 7-54s and the like, it's main purpose being to easily destroy unarmored/lightly armed vehicles. Still has all the other issues such as only really being usable if you already have airspace domination and being very slow to actually be in response.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 8, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ChaseSP posted:

Last I recall the A-10 gun was never intended to be effective against armored vehicles like a tank at all, it's main purpose being to easily destroy unarmored/lightly armed vehicles. Still has all the other issues such as only really being usable if you already have airspace domination and being very slow to actually be in response.

Even if that's true, they did studies showing its perfectly effective at penetrating the upper armor of most main battle tanks it would encounter.

And regardless, a tank with a disabled engine, penetrated fuel tanks, and possibly knocked out crew is still a mobilization kill.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I was tracking, in that they cloned 8-bit CPUs a lot. However, their capabilities beyond that was unknown to me until now.
I got to find that part of the DnD thread, as I thought they tossed all their fab capabilities out the window in the early '90s. I had no clue Russia could still fab any CPUs at all, even lovely Z80 or 6502 clones.
edit: imagine being a Russian engineer trying to replace a modern CPU in a missile with a bunch of '80s tech; i feel sorry for that guy even though '80s tech surprisingly gets the job done a lot

The missile knows where it isn't, by subtracting where it is---error: speed exceeds clockrate.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Even if that's true, they did studies showing its perfectly effective at penetrating the upper armor of most main battle tanks it would encounter.

And regardless, a tank with a disabled engine, penetrated fuel tanks, and possibly knocked out crew is still a mobilization kill.

Yeah the guns were easily able to pierce the weak points of tanks, problem is those tanks are extremely out dated by now. OTOH Russia is starting to bring out those tanks so I guess it's a perfect fit to give the A-10 if it weren't for the other issues.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Someone in another thread posted Russian milbloggers complaining about himars doinking command posts etc real good and I wonder if that's really bad opsec, if they're attempting some reverse psychology, or if the success of those strikes is so obvious that you don't need to be opsec about it and can complain about them on telegram as much as you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Great day when Ukraine has fired more Russian senior officers than the Kremlin.