Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lol Sky News tuning out the Yakety Sax in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh benny hills back

Edit: yeah it's over. what a garbage speech.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
If I were a younger man I would say that that was 'cringe'

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

And it’s already over.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Someone sussed out to cut the mic before the resignation tune this time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The salt in that speech was fuckin hilarious

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I didn't hear the words "I am resigning"

Am I crazy or did he not actually say he's going?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good to see him is taking this well.

Hopefully this drags out for a few more months

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Low energy resignation. Sad!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kernel Monsoon posted:

He didn’t, he’s still trying to cling on until the leadership election.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

domhal posted:

RIP underwater tunnel to Ireland via Isle of Man mini roundabout.

Didn't even get a chance to make a lot of dosh for Johnson's mates like all his other cash-sink white elephant schemes.

Maybe that was the point future historians will say he lost his mojo.

[e]: lmao
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 7, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh sweet zombie Jesus! :lol: :lmao: :roflolmao:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Eating a fried egg sammich while watching Johnson saltily resign at gunpoint. Truly a fantastic lunchtime treat.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna be a good one!

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1545010423254192128

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Kernel Monsoon posted:

He both is and is not resigning. Schroedinger's Twat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
them’s the breaks

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I haven't really given it deep thought, to be honest.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1544990924572430337?s=20&t=nwvoMrbHRYwvYa1Eqs1T8g

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Good news for ‘everything always gets worse’ fans then

https://twitter.com/leninology/status/1544999536426360832?s=21&t=Piov8BzQd8aZbQ65tuuOvg

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Over/under on the number of “For the love of god, go”s between now and September?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
OK managed 5 minutes of that speech and had a hearty lol when he blamed the herd mentality in Westminster. Suck it up you salty bitch

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Another girlboss for the liberals to celebrate as she slits the throat of the poor.
Whilst also being more openly an idiot.

Fantastic. :suicide:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Good news for pork markets

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Wonder if they've told the sub captains "Please ignore launch commands unless they come from Royal Navy leadership" yet?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Kernel Monsoon posted:

He absolutely didn't resign. He said he's agreed to a leadership contest (that he can run in) and that he'll be pm til then. The timetable for this contest will be announced next week, so after the 1922 exec elections and the opportunity to force him out.

No chance in hell the Tories missed it, huw Jenkins realised right in the middle of interviewing the egg from bury. He might still end up going, possibly even today, but that wasn't it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He has actually resigned as Tory leader apparently, which i think precludes him from running again?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Spangly A posted:

He absolutely didn't resign. He said he's agreed to a leadership contest (that he can run in)

Yeah this is like a massive red flag. He's allowing a leadership contest, it wasn't forced, so he is able to stand. And he's just appointed a full cabinet of loyalists who will back him.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

peanut- posted:

He has actually resigned as Tory leader apparently, which i think precludes him from running again?

Being forced out precludes him, the full rules change every leadership and are decided by the 1922 committee. Quick check says they aren't public so I'm very possibly wrong. Its probably the best place to head him off without causing a massive shitstorm, but since his odds seem so bad they might actually be stupid enough to let him have a go

e; or he said he'd do the speech and resign as leader on the condition he can run - I'd probably take and honour that deal if I was on the committee because it's the way out with the quickest end to the public drama

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 7, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The shitstorm continues unabated then. :torygov: :shrek:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1545026016623616000

Prime Minister Tugboat

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
How to resign without resigning.

How many hours will it take for UK media to grasp what wasn't said? I saw it live of youtube (maybe sky news?) and they were fawning over how gracious and moving his speech was, nothing else.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I think its a deliberate choice.

He didn't say he was resigning, but the media and political figures are choosing to present it that way in hope of making it a fait accompli

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1544984538442567680

YouGov saying Ben Wallace is a clear favourite in head-to-heads. I know absolutely nothing about him other than 'a soldier' and 'may have tried to stop Boris' loony pet airlift out of Kabul'. How bad is he?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unkempt posted:

He both is and is not resigning. Schroedinger's Twat.

Is he seriously just gambling they won't be able to agree on a replacement

Because that's what it sounds like

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I think it's funnier than that.

I think he got a staffer to whatsapp someone at the BBC that he will be resigning today. Everyone reporting it like it's fact because of course they will and he's going to turn around and say what? I never said i was resigning. And he will be completely right.

He's taken the entire british press for a ride.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's gambling that he still has enough support to reach a run-off. There's a chance that he wins if it goes to the base.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Another girlboss for the liberals to celebrate as she slits the throat of the poor.
Whilst also being more openly an idiot.

Fantastic. :suicide:

You can get 8/1 on truss atm, in case anyone fancies a flutter

grobbo posted:

How bad is he?

Well, he's a tory

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ben Wallace is apparently the favourite among the members. Whether he'll get that far is up in the air.

Also I really don't think Boris is doing One Weird Trick to avoid actually resigning, he's said it in every way except literally saying "I am resigning". I do think he's leaving himself as an option for the leadership election, but that's just because he's an egotistical piece of poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's gambling on the option that gives him more time. You know how the options were jump before you're pushed? He instead decided to try and build a bridge. He has no options so he took a possibility that a new option will emerge eventually.

He's still the PM He's still in number 10 and he's still exactly in the same situation he was yesterday. UK has no government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

According to his wiki, Tugendhat is banned from entering China by the CCP.

Which would be an... interesting position for a world leader to be in if it comes to that

edit: its more than that, he's sanctioned so no Chinese person or institution can do business with him at all.