Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

My usual leisure route is to head west on Lower Base Line to Side Road 2 to Mt Nemo area, south of Milton, north of Burlington. Nice area, does take some effort to get out there though.

I live in the GTA, but every year (except for the past couple) I'm in Vegas and/or LA on business for a week, and I usually rent a Harley at EagleRider and stay for the weekend visiting canyons and other juicy roads (Mulholland, etc). Getting around LA is where I learned to filter, mostly by following other riders, who, at first, I thought were crazy, but hey, turns out it's totally normal and cool. It certainly is shocking for a bit, and while it does subside to a degree, it's still a High Alert situation for someone who doesn't do it regularly.

I learned when I moved from Toronto to London, and was commuting by bike. It felt like jumping in the deep end, but drivers there are used to it and are far more docile compared to Toronto drivers (who, as you know, can be charitably described as aggressively ignorant). Now if I hit a bad bit of traffic, I'm fine saying gently caress this and going through, but if I hadn't had that learning experience somewhere where it's normalized, it would feel like, I dunno, taking a shortcut through a mall or pedestrian zone or something (which would probably feel normal if I'd spent a few years delivering chickens on the back of a scooter in a Moroccan souk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

I learned when I moved from Toronto to London, and was commuting by bike. It felt like jumping in the deep end, but drivers there are used to it and are far more docile compared to Toronto drivers (who, as you know, can be charitably described as aggressively ignorant). Now if I hit a bad bit of traffic, I'm fine saying gently caress this and going through, but if I hadn't had that learning experience somewhere where it's normalized, it would feel like, I dunno, taking a shortcut through a mall or pedestrian zone or something (which would probably feel normal if I'd spent a few years delivering chickens on the back of a scooter in a Moroccan souk).

I remember getting a bike taxi in Bangkok and getting a little concerned when we crossed the railway tracks at a non-crossing point. They do give you a plastic colander to put on your head which I'm sure would have prevented serious injury.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

right arm posted:

canada rules. plz citizen me

lol insurance :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

ya the issue with doing it squarely is how dumb the average canadian driver is combined with them not really expecting it plus it being illegal meaning on top of any injuries you're essentially hosed insurance wise if something does happen.

I personally always felt it was really stupid that bicycles can and almost always do filter here given the car is almost always going to have to immediately overtake them again but I really don't have a high opinion of most bicyclists as road users to begin with.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

movax posted:

Anyone here successfully (i.e., regularly) having their dog buddies in a sidecar? Apparently the newer Urals are actually... decent and there's two containers of them left on the way to the US while they move their factory to Kazakhstan. I want to go test ride one soon (apparently Ural US HQ is in Redmond!). I just want to cruise around Seattle + ride out to some hikes with the little guy in a more interesting vehicle than a Bolt or A4.

As I'm sure this post is not answerable without it, here is the floof in question:

(I swear this is just not an excuse to get him a sweeeeeeeeeet pair of Doggles)

Yes - one dog is fine with it, the other hates loud noises and wants nothing to do with the sidecar once the bike fires up. Training the dog for the goggles (I got a pair of Rex Specs cheap, so that's what mine wears) took a couple of weeks and some patience.

Urals are not actually decent by any modern western standard, they're soviet-era designs based on a WW2-era BMW. If you're cool with having to gently caress with it semi-constantly to keep it running, then go for it.

IIRC Washington makes you get a separate endorsement on your license for a sidecar or other 3 wheeled vehicle, the regular motorcycle endorsement won't cover you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

IIRC Washington makes you get a separate endorsement on your license for a sidecar or other 3 wheeled vehicle, the regular motorcycle endorsement won't cover you

This is correct. You'll have to do the licensing course over for a 3 wheeled vehicle.
I think Oregon laws are similar.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mulligan posted:

lol insurance :(

Insurance rates are positively American out in Alberta

Downside is, so is a lot of other poo poo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hmmm bike wouldn't turn over again today. Just click click click. Charged the battery last week on the 15th after I thought maybe I left the parking lights on, then it started no problem every day until the 22nd, then went out of town for a few days and now on the 28th it wouldn't start. What are the odds it's just the battery rather than the charging system? Bike only has 14K klicks on it however I replaced the battery last year when I bought the bike and it hasn't given me any trouble up until just recently. Next diagnostic step seems to be checking the voltage at the battery while starting and then while bike is running? I'll watch some youtube videos.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 28, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah it's an easy test. Start it up, hook the meter up to the battery and blip the throttle. Should start around 12v and go up to 14v. If it's not moving stator is shot, if it goes too high reg/rec is bad.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Take note of the time it costs for voltage to go up. If your voltage goes up from about 12 to over 14 within a minute, the battery is dead.
You can also test that with an old dumb charger.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Anecdotally when a battery is on the way out but still mostly functional my maintainers will never show charging (yellow/orange light). The light always stays green, even when I know the voltage is low. If the battery shows full charge after charging (13v+) but the starter does not spin normally after the first start, the battery capacity is diminished and time to replace it, or the battery was too small to begin with. You'll usually get one good start and think it's ok, then get stranded later on.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Well it's unlikely that it's the battery. Voltage didn't or hardly budged in either direction with the engine running or blipped, went to an empty parking lot and ran it at 6k for a bit just to be sure lol. Doesn't appreciably drop in voltage while the bike is running, until I put the highbeams on and the fan came on and I'm pretty sure I could see it drain, got back on and rode home. Parked it, and started it up again just fine.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds like the stator then, there's a few tests you can run on it. Youtube has some good generic one but ideally find a service manual for yours and see exactly what it should show

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Geeze. I threw a UJM bench style seat on my chinese Grom clone. I haven't ever sat on one, all the bikes I've ever sat on had sporty style seating.

UJM is so friggen comfortable and you can use like the whole seat under you, move around etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s why it’s the best

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s why it’s the best

Seriously. If you don't care about going fast, the right body posture was established in the 70's, motards are basically the modern take and the only reason anyone leans forward on anything is because even the lamest grampa bike has to have 100+ horsepower

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I remember there is a goon here with a van van. Is the TW200 and Van Van largely the same bike? The Tw200 is suppose to be more off road farm bike but is that just splitting hairs of two very similar bikes?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
UJM seats also extremely excellent for plopping cute peeps on the back of

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Russian Bear posted:

I remember there is a goon here with a van van. Is the TW200 and Van Van largely the same bike? The Tw200 is suppose to be more off road farm bike but is that just splitting hairs of two very similar bikes?

Pretty similar, for sure. Check out this thread - https://www.tw200forum.com/threads/performance-tw200-vs-vanvan-200.66996/

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

Similar enough that if you closed your eyes while riding them you probably couldn't tell which one you are on. However, IMO the TW200 wins out because it's been around longer which means better parts and aftermarket support.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Renaissance Robot posted:

UJM seats also extremely excellent for plopping cute peeps on the back of

The business case for my scrambler was doing exactly this in summer and puttering down to the lake. I've stuck the original flat seat on it and installed intercom sets in our helmets.

Mission accomplished, very happy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

The business case for my scrambler was doing exactly this in summer and puttering down to the lake. I've stuck the original flat seat on it and installed intercom sets in our helmets.

Mission accomplished, very happy.

Wow that is some gorgeous water and scenery, and I love that offshore diving platform. Where is this?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is Lutry on lake geneva, about halfway between Lausanne and Vevey. Super nice spot.

This bit of Switzerland is a wine growing area and the village is surrounded by vineyards that come down to the lake. It's pretty anyway but particularly in autumn when the vines change colour.

Looking the other side of that promontory

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 3, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

even the lamest grampa bike has to have 100+ horsepower

Oh wow you don’t have to directly call me out like that :mad:

also it’s 118hp tyvm :colbert:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Russian Bear posted:

I sat on a TW200 before ultimately buying a VanVan, seat-wise they were very different. The TW200 seat was harder and overall the bike felt slightly taller, whereas the VanVan was like the plush bench seat of an '88 Gran Fury welcoming me to plop down and enjoy the ride. 7 months in my love for that seat has not diminished. If I wasn't doing serious off-road trail riding, but farm stuff (literally where I first rode, but on a scooter), I'd probably rather do it on my VanVan.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

had one of my favorite motorcycle highway experiences last night...

Is it loving raining?
It wasn't supposed to rain!
gently caress.

that was a half mile long cloud of gnats.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
hehe, thats always fun.
Did you take a picture of your visor? I think this is my "high score".

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

had one of my favorite motorcycle highway experiences last night...

Is it loving raining?
It wasn't supposed to rain!
gently caress.

that was a half mile long cloud of gnats.

:stare:

I loving hate bugs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I made the mistake of going out for a ride out in the backcountry during mayfly hatching season last year.

It was apocalyptic.

I had to take my radiator guard off and power wash it.

Posting this is triggering some PTSD, not going to lie.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

"Hey what's that fuzzy clo... BEEEEESSSS!"

Followed by the single most violent hunch of my neck I have ever done. I swear my helmet withdrew down to form an airtight seal with my torso. Like a drat turtle. I was never that flexible before, probably never will again. It was a once in a lifetime body motion, like throwing the perfect punch or a perfect home run bat swing.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

While half heartedly detailing my Magna this weekend, I found out that the body ground wire had torn loose from the lug it was in, so I took an eyelet and crimped it on and mounted it to the negative terminal. Seems to run a bit better now, but who knows!

I've had a bit of a disappearing coolant issue lately, the only evidence I see of moisture is in the valley between my cylinders, above which are the carbs and coolant crossover pipes. I've just been adding a bit each time before I ride, but when the carbs come off this fall, I'm gonna replace the orings and inspect the pipes to make sure they aren't broken.

I've never found coolant in the oil or anything and even though sometimes I'll see a little vapor on a cold start, it's never smelled like coolant, so it's a genuine mystery!

Got my first paycheck from the new job, so I'm looking forward to a sunny day this weekend to ride again! May even ride to work a day or two next week, weather permitting. Wanna get some handgrips that match first.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And that's the other reason I prefer a full face helmet. Gross

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Another reason

https://i.imgur.com/mnZJQSh.mp4

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
On the topic of bugs, is there any effective way to pre-treat a visor or actually clean it while in motion? I basically keep a microfiber rag and a tiny water bottle in my pocket, but on occasion I've still found myself having to stop every 10-15 minutes to feel comfortable with visibility and it's pretty annoying, especially on those freeway moments where the shoulder is dicey but getting to and taking an entire exit ramp is a really long detour.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Fluffs McCloud posted:

On the topic of bugs, is there any effective way to pre-treat a visor or actually clean it while in motion?

Sadly I don't think anyone has come up with anything better than those visor tear-offs F1 drivers use or those dirtbike goggles where you pull a roll of film across the lens when it gets muddy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

eh I guess you could apply some wax or rain-x to it, which should make it easier to clean after such a swarm. You'll have to keep applying it though it won't last long. Probably best to just use a soapy damp rag on it as soon as possible, and make sure that rag is clean or you'll introduce swirls.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Would have preferred a cloud of bugs tbh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What........................was that?

Also pre-emptive guess that you're in Australia

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Nah I'm in the UK. I think it was a common wren at about 130mph. Was racing along behind some random guy on a gsx1400 a few years back, saw something go across the front of me but didn't feel the impact, holding into a zrx1100 at that speed kind of sucks and felt like it was going to tear me apart.
Noticed the next day after it had been sat in the sun on my drive and started to stink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, a bird, I thought that was an enormous bug, hence my Australia comment

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 7, 2022