Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
You guys are doing this all wrong. The E9x manual is great here’s what you do: never drive anything else and forget every car you have driven in the past. Bam, great manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

When I test drove the DCT and manual back to back, the DCT was clearly faster (and a chunk more expensive) but I really missed the feel and interaction of a manual. Not that the E92 manual is great or anything - it has a long throw and it doesn't feel that precise - but I ultimately went manual over DCT. Do short shift kits help improve the feel at all?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the worst manual is still better than a decent DCT, change my mind

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So my current car (2016 228i xDive) is my first car since 1999-ish that has an automatic transmission. I find myself missing the hell out of a stick 90% of the time, and 10% the time I'm stuck in traffic and glad I have an automatic.

Just curious, does anyone actually bother to use the manual shift modes on their automatics? I never do but I might try to make myself to see if I can recapture some of that lovin' feelin'.

I have the same transmission in my M340 and I use it all time time. Mostly just to make DSG farts noises on upshifts and burbles on downshifts though.

Seriously though, the paddles are great and transmission mostly listens to you.

Not as good as the manual in my 335i that I replaced but fun enough that I don’t really miss it too much, especially sitting in traffic.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
My BMW I4 only has single gear transmission, so technically it's a manual

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I own an s2000 which has one of the best manual shifters ever created. I’ve never gotten in another manual car and thought that I’d rather have an automatic because the shifter is “bad”. They’re all the same to me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It’s ok if you want to justify your purchase of an automatic transmission

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fknlo posted:

I’ve never gotten in another manual car and thought that I’d rather have an automatic because the shifter is “bad”.

I test drove a 6MT Golf AllTrack, I don't recall my opinion of the shifter itself but the clutch was awful. Had zero bite, just total rubbery uncommunicative terribleness.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Honestly as someone who is used to driving a manual across many different models and is in a country where manual transmissions are the norm I’m content never to touch a manual again if they’re on the level of the ZF8.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab669 posted:

I test drove a 6MT Golf AllTrack, I don't recall my opinion of the shifter itself but the clutch was awful. Had zero bite, just total rubbery uncommunicative terribleness.

the clutch is not ideal, it's mostly a light switch but that seems to be the modern way. shifter is fine. it's a economy car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's a economy car.

For sure, but it was un-engaging enough that I definitely thought "Why even bother going through the motions?" and if I bought one at all I probably would've opted for the auto instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

For sure, but it was un-engaging enough that I definitely thought "Why even bother going through the motions?" and if I bought one at all I probably would've opted for the auto instead.

i bought the manual but i categorically prefer a manual transmission to an automatic

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i bought the manual but i categorically prefer a manual transmission to an automatic

I had to drive my focus for a week and it reminded me that unless I'm on a track, I categorically prefer automatic.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, like I said after 17 years of driving stick and 9 years of sporty sticks... I'm surprised at how much I've been enjoying this lazy automatic E91.

I am definitely trying to figure out how to make 2 cars work while renting though, because on a few occasions I've missed having a stick / a car that feels special.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The slushbox in my E91 is doubly tragic in that it is terrible and it’s the cursed GM box so I can’t even flash it with XHP as can be done with the ZF auto.

I’ve never driven a manual bmw and thought that the action was anything special.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Do you find it gets "confused" at low speeds? Like I'll be decelerating coming up to a red light and then it changes green and I'm back on the gas and it feels kinda sluggish, unhappy and or confused by the 2-1-2 shifts. Not sure if that's par for the course for a 2008 automatic or if I should be mildly concerned about the 14 year old transmission :v:

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does I definitely make a 😬 kind of face

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hmm well I can think of one kind of transmission that will never do this

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Assuming you remove the clutch delay valve

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah low speed + change of speed it never knows what to do. The combination of numb drive by wire and that trans is maddening. I just use the paddles in those situations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Time to get an electric car :v:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
If I had the option to purchase either:

B3 Touring > M3 Touring

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ThirstyBuck posted:

Yeah low speed + change of speed it never knows what to do. The combination of numb drive by wire and that trans is maddening. I just use the paddles in those situations.

Which car are you talking about?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
DCTs dont change gear unless you approve it, and from experience my E92 M3 is a lot more involved than my NA Miata :shrug: I don't really care what other people drive though since I've got an E92 M3 and a NA Miata

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well here's hoping I have some bad gas because I'm still getting some misfires and timing shenanigans. Gonna go run the tank down and top off.

e: getting the same results on the stock tune. I have no idea what this would be other than bad gas.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 8, 2022

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The manumatic in my m235i is brilliant and I'll stab anyone who says otherwise.

I am heartbroken that the time has come to trade it in for an electric, but that car will always hold a special place in my heart.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Which car are you talking about?

I'm not sure what they have, I assumed the same as mine, but mine is... whatever's in the pre-LCI 328 :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Close. It’s a post LCI E91 but I think the available transmission pool was the same.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

All E9X had hydraulic steering racks, which was my main reason for being curious about the “drive by wire” comment. There were also 2 different autos available I think based on market, GM or ZF.

Another post LCI 328i E91 checking in, manual though. Anytime I drive any other car it’s completely noticeable that my steering rack is so much heavier than any other.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheBacon posted:

All E9X had hydraulic steering racks, which was my main reason for being curious about the “drive by wire” comment. There were also 2 different autos available I think based on market, GM or ZF.

Another post LCI 328i E91 checking in, manual though. Anytime I drive any other car it’s completely noticeable that my steering rack is so much heavier than any other.

You can make an electric rack or electric hydraulic power steering pump feel heavy too. I had a knob in my Miata to adjust the EPAS assist.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I hate how much I have to turn the wheel in this thing, that's probably the only legitimate complaint I have with the vehicle in the ~3 months I've had it.

It also has fun old car problems where you pop it in Reverse, then back to Drive and the driver side mirror doesn't point back upwards so I need to fix it literally every single time I back out of/into my driveway, and there's some sort of "leak" in the roof where it makes a small whistling noise above 40mph. Water doesn't get in when it rains though, or at least there's no sign of water getting in :v: Closing the sunroof shield thing largely blocks out the whistle, and I've almost always got music on but the times I don't it's really annoying. Actually wondering how much it's going to drive me nuts on my first road trip with it in September.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SchrodingersCat posted:

The manumatic in my m235i is brilliant and I'll stab anyone who says otherwise.

I am heartbroken that the time has come to trade it in for an electric, but that car will always hold a special place in my heart.

why you gotta trade a perfectly good weekend car?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I mean, my current plan is to keep my 6 speed 335 and find a 440 GC or something as a daily. It's wagonish, and I can get it with M Sport brakes without having to do any retrofitting fuckery. I kind of wish the 335 wasn't black on black, but I can deactivate the AWD so it's an okay compromise.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I meant drive by wire throttle. The steering is fantastic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i think the only true drive by wire steering car was like one model year of that huge infiniti suv

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Saw this on reddit. What in the actual gently caress is going on with the markings on that speedometer? I sure hope you guessed that they were doing 43mph as indicated by the HUD.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they somehow swap the tachometer and speedometer?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I’m talking with the tuning company about my issues. I tell them I don’t really have any 3rd gear pull logs because of safety and legality issues.

“Provide a WOT 3rd gear pull”

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

I’m talking with the tuning company about my issues. I tell them I don’t really have any 3rd gear pull logs because of safety and legality issues.

There’s really no other way to figure out what’s going on which is why most people who are going fairly aggressive with tunes will require time on a dyno.

If it makes you feel better you only need to hit 105 mph which means where I live you probably won’t immediately go to jail.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kronix posted:

There’s really no other way to figure out what’s going on which is why most people who are going fairly aggressive with tunes will require time on a dyno.

If it makes you feel better you only need to hit 105 mph which means where I live you probably won’t immediately go to jail.

It's more about being able to safely get one done. There are a million spots I could do a 3rd or probably even 4th gear pull but they're full of semi's, RV's, minivan full of children, etc... I definitely limit my dickheadery when there are other people involved. I got lucky and caught an open onramp and got one in, hopefully it's good enough for them.

It's not like 105 is crazy out here either. I probably get passed by someone doing 100 regularly.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

I've only been in the position with one car where there was no local tuner due to locked down ECU bullshit. I ended up lining up tuner time + dyno rental time to get it done. Pain in the rear end.

I'm not a fan of the locked down canned tune vendors these days, but it seems like you get screwed with some cars.