Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Cavauro posted:

buddy i swear it that the undertaker beat john cena at wrestlemania within the past 10 years and feuded with cena when he was on the cusp of the main event

makes you wonder how big this Cena kid could've been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Cena is the next Austin Theory.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Cena is the next Austin Theory.

Oh no!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Super No Vacancy posted:

Vince McMahon and its not close

It is remarkable how bad Vince is at like 99% of the things related to wrestling.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dacap posted:

Also Austin Vs Goldberg
tbf, Goldberg debuted the night after Austin's retirement match. But you could certainly argue that Vince should have shelled out for the outstanding WCW contracts before the Invasion!

bartok posted:

I remember the build being Mox constantly calling Ziggler a loser and then he beat him clean in a forgettable match.
seriously the Ziggler feud may as well have been flashing text on the screen saying CALM DOWN, THIS IS NOT A REAL PUSH

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Minidust posted:

tbf, Goldberg debuted the night after Austin's retirement match. But you could certainly argue that Vince should have shelled out for the outstanding WCW contracts before the Invasion!

That is my argument, I think most people in Vince's shoes would've paid whatever it takes to get that match booked even if it was just a single match deal.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
People are always sad that we never got Austin vs Goldberg but I'm sad that we didn't get Rock vs DDP. :(

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

But we did get Kevin Nash vs Triple H, so maybe you ungrateful old nerds should show some respect!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Has anyone ever tried to do the math about how much it would have cost to buy out those contracts? I know nobody ACTUALLY can, since nobody knows exactly how much money was involved, but yeah hearing Bruce Prichard claim it made no financial sense to buy them out was objectively stupid considering those guys were (mostly) the stars and were needed for the biggest angle ever to actually work.

That said, if he had said "what do you think it would have done to locker room morale if suddenly a bunch of lazy guys were being paid more than our guys" I would have had a hard time refuting that

Still probably would have been good overall for WWE and the business in general if they had actually brought everyone in, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Has anyone ever tried to do the math about how much it would have cost to buy out those contracts? I know nobody ACTUALLY can, since nobody knows exactly how much money was involved, but yeah hearing Bruce Prichard claim it made no financial sense to buy them out was objectively stupid considering those guys were (mostly) the stars and were needed for the biggest angle ever to actually work.

That said, if he had said "what do you think it would have done to locker room morale if suddenly a bunch of lazy guys were being paid more than our guys" I would have had a hard time refuting that

Still probably would have been good overall for WWE and the business in general if they had actually brought everyone in, though.

Meltzer has done the math on a few of the key contracts and it definitely made sense to bring in Goldberg/Flair/Sting given the insane financials InVasion did and how poorly Survivor Series did months later.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I can’t vote for McMahon; he sold the product to his fans and he’s making money. You gotta kill a company to be the worst and he’s not there yet.

Did Kevin Nash really book himself to end Goldberg’s streak and de-mask Mysterio, or was that all bullshit?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thanlis posted:

I can’t vote for McMahon; he sold the product to his fans and he’s making money. You gotta kill a company to be the worst and he’s not there yet.

Did Kevin Nash really book himself to end Goldberg’s streak and de-mask Mysterio, or was that all bullshit?

Nash wasn't the head booker when he beat Goldberg but did start around the time he beat Rey.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Was that mid-99? I remember randomly catching that match. Did it have a spot where Rey goes up for the Jackknife but counters it by punching Nash in the head?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Nash wasn't the head booker when he beat Goldberg but did start around the time he beat Rey.

I'm glad be he beat Rey, because Rey is a tiny baby who beats his kids, while Nash is big AND sexy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thanlis posted:

Yeah why I can't vote for McMahon either even if he is terrible

Now Russo otoh helped kill WCW and also got TNA taken off Spike so whelp

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Now Russo otoh helped kill WCW and also got TNA taken off Spike so whelp

Yeah, if Nash wasn’t at fault for ending Goldberg’s streak I’m gonna go with Russo here. Can’t forget his horrible TNA work either.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

He booked Hogan vs Flair dozens of times and we should be thankful he didn't book Undertaker vs Sting.

As a WrestleMania encounter, which it absolutely should have been.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

As a WrestleMania encounter, which it absolutely should have been.

It was never going to work as a Wrestlemania match. What we got was better, Flair had a good match and Hogan did goofy stuff with goofballs. Vince wasn't going to give Flair the presentation he needed to do a real Wrestlemania main event. He was loving up Flair within weeks anyway.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Exactly, Vince sucks as a booker. With minimal effort Flair vs Hogan could have been given interesting build and been a good match.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The only halfway decent Flair/Hogan match I've seen is Hogan's first WCW match at Bash at the Beach 94. Maybe they had better ones later on but that's the one that sticks out as not terrible for a Hogan match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I’ve seen pictures of Harley Race in action. Video too. You’re telling me this pudding man used to do diving headbutts off the top rope?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

According to Ric Flair, Harley Race earned his reputation by taking bumps like that in Phil Muschnik's Kansas City territory. Muschnik used a boxing ring like Mexican Promotions do.
So not only was he doing diving headbutts he was doing them onto a ring comparable to concrete.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

man you're wild

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I’ve seen pictures of Harley Race in action. Video too. You’re telling me this pudding man used to do diving headbutts off the top rope?

Harley Race used to say that if he hit a man with his left hand and that man didn't go down, he'd walk around behind the guy to see what was holding him up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m not denying that he was a tough guy, I just can’t imagine him flying off the top rope.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well a flying headbutt is more 'intentional faceplanting' than 'flying' if that sorts out your confusion.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you pile of moles.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
this isn't flying

this is falling, with style

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It was usually the middle rope with Harley rather than the top. And it really was kind of a "stand on the middle turnbuckle, fall forward" type of affair which doesnt look nearly as high impact as other versions of the move, but then again Harley lived to his mid 70s and I believe all his kids are still alive so I'll give it a pass.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

It was also the 70s when he started to do it and high spots were more like middle spots

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SiKboy posted:

It was usually the middle rope with Harley rather than the top. And it really was kind of a "stand on the middle turnbuckle, fall forward" type of affair which doesnt look nearly as high impact as other versions of the move, but then again Harley lived to his mid 70s and I believe all his kids are still alive so I'll give it a pass.

I think Race was on record as regretting popularizing the move.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Who was the guy in WCW who banned moves from the top rope and removed the pads from ringside? I vote for him as worst booker.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Grey posted:

Who was the guy in WCW who banned moves from the top rope and removed the pads from ringside? I vote for him as worst booker.

Bill Watts. This whole thing did lead to ONE really cool spot in a Rude/Steamboat match though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Grey posted:

Bill Watts. I’m far from an expert on the territories, but from everything I’ve heard, he would be in the running for the title of best booker based on his work in the 80s. He was definitely a bit out of touch by the time he was put in charge of WCW though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the highest "generation" of wrestlers a family has gotten to? Pretty sure there's several third generation I just can't think of them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Diabolik900 posted:

Bill Watts. I’m far from an expert on the territories, but from everything I’ve heard, he would be in the running for the title of best booker based on his work in the 80s. He was definitely a bit out of touch by the time he was put in charge of WCW though.

Yeah, Bill was out of his element in 1990s WCW and was hamstrung by that company's inane bureaucracy, but he was also a stupid rear end in a top hat who cared more about thumbing his nose at the corporates than doing his actual job. He also paid like poo poo and tanked locker room morale, in addition to being a bigot. He isn't the worst booker ever because at least he ran one very successful territory, but his WCW run was a disaster.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So was Eric Bischoff good and then turned bad or was the good stuff that happened under him attributed to something else?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the highest "generation" of wrestlers a family has gotten to? Pretty sure there's several third generation I just can't think of them.

The von Erichs are third generation now, with Ross and Marshall wrestling in MLW and Lacey having had her stint in TNA.

The Guerreros also count with both Chavo Jr. and Shaul (Eddie and Vicki's daughter).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think david finlay is 4th generation but they might have skipped a gen before his dad? it gets hard to find information as a casual little fucker like meself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are quite a few families with three generations of wrestlers. The Harts, the Funks, and the DiBiases off the top of my head, and probably lots of lucha guys.

Dory Funk has a great-grandson who's wrestling, but I think his dad was not a wrestler.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He's a great businessman and a terrible booker.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 7, 2022