Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

When does the ability to craft MR layered armor unlock? I've had optionals to unlock bonus layered armor in Sunbreak, (like the Cohoot mask) but I don't actually have the tab yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Final boss I think. The vouchers are definitely after.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, there's separate outfit vouchers?

I've been slow rolling my way through Sunbreak cause I'm waiting on some friends. Bummed I can't be making layered stuff before the endgame.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Astalos is a absolute delight, and the various new MR4 mons are great new fights....can't wait to see what else awaits in SB

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't have all the skills yet but Switch Axe is REALLY fun with skill swap, and being able to use both ZP finishing discharge and Compressed Finishing Discharge is refreshing.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

When does the ability to craft MR layered armor unlock? I've had optionals to unlock bonus layered armor in Sunbreak, (like the Cohoot mask) but I don't actually have the tab yet.

MR10

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question, but is MR like HR in that once the caps are lifted, do not you get retroactive credit for the quests you did?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question, but is MR like HR in that once the caps are lifted, do not you get retroactive credit for the quests you did?

That's correct, unfortunately.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Triarii posted:

That's correct, unfortunately.

Bleh, guess I will stick to the required quests until I finish the story.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I was expecting draw souls combat and I got something much closer to Nioh.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think there's certain circumstances where there is stored accrual? At least, that's the case with how it worked in HR. Before a certain HR, there was no stored, but once you started unlocking elders, you would end up banking until you did the urgent.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The LR leather goggles are the most versatile layered head in the game, even better than the earrings and sunglasses.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

I think there's certain circumstances where there is stored accrual? At least, that's the case with how it worked in HR. Before a certain HR, there was no stored, but once you started unlocking elders, you would end up banking until you did the urgent.

Yeah, MR works the same way - once you beat the final story boss and get your MR initially uncapped, you can then start banking credit as you hit each of the subsequent rank caps.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Calidus posted:

I was expecting draw souls combat and I got something much closer to Nioh.

Yeah Risebreak is closer to Nioh or Sekiro in that you're mostly hitting whatever counter(s) your weapon has at the right time.
Maybe the sequel will give us what we all really want: Monster Hunter 1 speed but you fight Nergigante :v:

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Do the monster sizes in Sunbreak seem especially large to anyone else or is it just me? All throughout rise I never noticed them unless it was event hunts but every key quest monster feels enormous so far

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Wellwinds posted:

Do the monster sizes in Sunbreak seem especially large to anyone else or is it just me? All throughout rise I never noticed them unless it was event hunts but every key quest monster feels enormous so far

Nah they are absurdly big, I had to zoom out the camera after having no problem with base MHR (sadly it doesn’t zoom out far enough for my liking)

Citadel also has a lot of tight spaces that are death traps with the big bois

Firebert fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 7, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They should be bigger.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They should be bigger.

But not too big, then we have a Lao Shan Lung situation.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Wellwinds posted:

They seem to have tweaked it, so story quests and follower quest always have big ones, or if you hunt two of something then they'll be big and tiny.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I forget, does offensive guard trigger off of guard edge or other guard/parry wirebug skills?

Firebert posted:

Nah they are absurdly big, I had to zoom out the camera after having no problem with base MHR (sadly it doesn’t zoom out far enough for my liking)

Citadel also has a lot of tight spaces that are death traps with the big bois

I've definitely seen some giant rear end nargacugas. For whatever reason it and barioth seem to get huge, more so than basically any other monster. Gore and espinas for whatever reason always seem tiny.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

They seem to have tweaked it, so story quests and follower quest always have big ones, or if you hunt two of something then they'll be big and tiny.

Not always though, the first time I thought Lunagaron in the story, he was tiny, I think I got the silver crown for him. Definitely contributed to him feeling pretty weak

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, there's separate outfit vouchers?

I've been slow rolling my way through Sunbreak cause I'm waiting on some friends. Bummed I can't be making layered stuff before the endgame.

Yeah and they are slow to accrue as well, you need 15 of them to make a full outfit of the later MR armour sets.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There are steam cheevos for Sunbreak now but they’re all listed as “coming soon”. Weird.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I shouldn't be crafting Talismans at all right? I assume you unlock a higher tier but I haven't yet and I assume the old tier is useless to craft

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I shouldn't be crafting Talismans at all right? I assume you unlock a higher tier but I haven't yet and I assume the old tier is useless to craft

You should, new melding tier is only unlocked after credits roll and it only takes master rank materials.
Also the tier isn't much better, it gets new skills in the pick and can roll 4 slot for a decoration instead of 3. Still produces tons of garbage talismans.
So you can cook more talismans with your high rank materials, good rarity 8s will still be viable for the builds.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 7, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
That MR5 Urgent quest to hunt Shaguru Magala was extremely rude, he's too drat big and his massive frenzy explosions were sending me flying constantly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
yep, that's shagaru magala for you

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Simply pick the Wizard Class (IG) and throw explosions back at him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got blended by Narwa this morning, causing the hunt to fail.

I am the ultimate hunter.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There are steam cheevos for Sunbreak now but they’re all listed as “coming soon”. Weird.

I think someone over there just forgot to hit the button

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

You should, new melding tier is only unlocked after credits roll and it only takes master rank materials.
Also the tier isn't much better, it gets new skills in the pick and can roll 4 slot for a decoration instead of 3. Still produces tons of garbage talismans.
So you can cook more talismans with your high rank materials, good rarity 8s will still be viable for the builds.

Ah great thanks. But I guess use HR materials only and make sure not to use the "bonus" stuff like Friend Vouchers etc?
I definitely don't have a perfect HR talisman anyway. I have some good ones like a 2 Attack Boost 2 Protective Polish one that has no gem slots lol
I think right now I'm using one with 2 2 slots while I level so I can keep the weakness exploit gems on there and freely switch around my armor. It's like wirebug whisperer or something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whisperer is such a comfort skill to have now. 3 wirebugs is super good to have throughout a hunt with all the new offensive tools most weapons got.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, these Tigrex Gauntlets give full Stun resistance just by themselves. Feels a bit too convenient imo.

Also late MR4 has def kicked up the difficulty. I think i've carted at least once my first fight with every monster since Seregios and I still can't figure out Gore. He keeps crushing me each hunt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gore kicked my rear end as well, very hectic fight. tough to keep up with CB and most of his attack don't have much recovery so I can't really guard point SAED ever. A total blast to fight though when you manage to go toe to toe. Advancing Guard is such a drat pro addition to the CB moveset

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
with SnS Gore was pretty vulnerable to moving around to its back and whacking the tail

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's this I hear about insect glaive being a wizard in Sunbreak

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it also hosed me up though, i think i've double carted on every first new monster i've fought so far past like MR3 lol, poo poo's too good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

What's this I hear about insect glaive being a wizard in Sunbreak

New bugs let you create dust clouds all over the place, which you can then suck up and detonate doing Big Damage. Its a bit clunky though and pretty tough to land on these fast as gently caress MR monsters

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The powder vortex bugs spread dust when you do R2 attack, marking, Tetraseal, Fastball Special, etc.

You can use R2+Circle+Triangle to have your bug gather the dust into one spot while it's out. Then you can either recall it to move the dust wherever you want, or keep holding the buttons for explosions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gore and shagaru both want to spit shadow crap, slam you with their front limbs, or charge into you. their attacks to deal with someone under, above, or behind them are pretty limited, other than a tail whack/spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It took until MR 10, but I am finally free of needing to use the Mighty Bow Feather Cap.

Now these afflicted monsters are kinda funny; so I guess if you can’t hit their weak points to make them randomly explode over and over, you really are just going to have Great Baggi’s running around with more health than the final boss huh