Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 22-24, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (August 7-9, 1919; spoilered for an unusual application of "the usual reasons")

Dok's Dippy War Hero (March 30, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 24-27, 1936)

Blondie (After She Ditched The Zero (Take Two)) (June 9-11, 1932)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

:hai:

Old School Peanuts (Aug 18, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 31-Apr 1, 1991)

Big Nate

A surprisingly subtle bit of adult humor from Big Nate. Color me impressed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 30, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brendanova Starrski 1/27-29/49

What the gently caress is this? :psyduck:

Strontium posted:

Legend of Bill

And in an entirely different tone of voice, what the gently caress is this? :stare:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sorryy for the delay everyone, time for a bumper catchup post!

Bad Machinery

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Comic Strips 2022: you hain't jast whistling Dixievitch, Joe!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I want to quote this strip again, just because it's one of my favorites that I laugh at every time I see it. It's like an Abbott and Costello vaudeville bit.

Philosophical too - "Am I here anywhere else?"... that's deep

Comic Strips 2022: Are you still there anywhere else, food? It's me, Calvin

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Boy, that spoiled Toonerville comic.

It does make me wonder what the creators thoughts were on the whole situation. Did they just not engage with it in the same way Holbrook doesn't engage with his Hellworld? Did they actually realize it was absolutely horrendous? Did they APPROVE? It kinda frustrated me that I can't read into it more.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/6/02

Brenda Starr 1/30/49

Smokey Stover 12/5/48

Everyday Movies 5/3/35

"I'm not going to look at another want ad, Mopey, until I know exactly how the government is going to spend that $4,800,000,000."

(The Duke is commenting on the Second New Deal, which among other things led to the creation of Social Security and the WPA.)

Bonus Ad! I always thought V-8 was gross, and this ad ain't helping.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

The Bloop posted:

he's telling parents they have to kill their own children before they become mass shooters not kidding

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (August 7, 1919; spoilered for an unusual application of "the usual reasons")

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 17, 1952)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Val is cursed isn't he? Crossing a river and it instantly becomes the freaking Bruinen like he's a Nazgûl.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does she make him call her "Grandnanny Nana" every time, that's a mouthfull

edit: grannanny with no "d" but that sounds like a pokemon

also apparently na na as two words which is even weirder

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gra'nanny-nah-nah.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

I hope that the principal and the board are also in the vice-like grip of these violent adult teens.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Angel dust and acid: well known for being so cheap that a weed dealer would just secretly add them to their stock as a jape

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"'I'm not owned, I'm not owned' will be your last train of thought as you desperately fight your last fight, O Ghost Who Walks!" -Mozz

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Angel dust and acid: well known for being so cheap that a weed dealer would just secretly add them to their stock as a jape

He did it because his boss, Sara's mother's boyfriend, told him to. Neither he nor we know why (yet?).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Happy birthday to Zits
https://twitter.com/Hoganmag/status/1545048619937452032

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Happy birthday to Zits

From the tweet, Zits #4, July 10, 1997:

Be careful what you wish for, kid. :smith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just want to post that I love Mad Dog Morgan, so thank you goon who makes them!

And I feel bad for Sasha in the Bad Machinery story. She doesn't know what she is, I think, so it kinda sucks for her.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

The sinning competition joke is so good.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Friggin church nerds tattling on everybody

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

And I feel bad for Sasha in the Bad Machinery story. She doesn't know what she is, I think, so it kinda sucks for her.
Yeah I think the implication is she got foisted onto land so young she doesn't remember life in the sea and is not aware of the source of her attraction to her ex. I also feel like it's ambigious how much that attraction is supernatural given Ellen and Sonny being perfectly platonic, so it's kind of a complicated mess of baby Sasha knowing he's got something she needs back and then getting possessive of his attention and that going... very badly. Like most Bad Machinery stories it's about a mundane thing and a supernatural thing complimenting each other thematically and in this case that's entitlement, possession, and obsession.

EDIT: And technically Sonny is not even in possession of the sealskin or the one that took it! Lottie took it, his baby sister owns it! Ellen is not extra connected to either of those people!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "322 - Jucika's Lifebelt"

"323 - Jucika And Television" NSFW Topless

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I would clear out a room just to collect all the weird pinball machines we see in this comic. They're so great.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRa5eIlT4g

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Thank you for saying so. I amuse myself by making them, but I do love to hear that other people like them as well. :)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

F'ing lol

Mozz needs to push his luck with this story. Phantom comes home, finds Mozz has impregnated Diana with twins

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

goatface posted:

Gra'nanny-nah-nah.

Hey, hey, hey, gooodbye

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Samovar posted:

Boy, that spoiled Toonerville comic.

It does make me wonder what the creators thoughts were on the whole situation. Did they just not engage with it in the same way Holbrook doesn't engage with his Hellworld? Did they actually realize it was absolutely horrendous? Did they APPROVE? It kinda frustrated me that I can't read into it more.

The "best case" scenario would be a combination of lack of engagement and selective ignorance. Not that I have any "smoking gun" evidence for or against Mr. Fox, but you see over and over again the type of mental compartmentalization white America as a whole had going on at the time, when they could shrug off lynching and racial violence as a predominantly southern issue (for example, in that one panel with the Kentucky colonel that nearly broke me). But seeing as how the most recent of the big riots would've been the infamous "Red Summer" in Chicago, it properly shook a few delusions loose. Temporarily, at least.

All of that is with the understanding that unexamined racism is always going to be part of the background noise, for this period especially, like when President Wilson blamed the Chicago riots on white instigators while maintaining the segregation of federal departments that he himself started.

Hell of a transition into Mutts, isn't it...

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 25, 1934)

Peanuts (July 10, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 6, 1939)

Out Our Way (April 10-12, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I think the implication is she got foisted onto land so young she doesn't remember life in the sea and is not aware of the source of her attraction to her ex. I also feel like it's ambigious how much that attraction is supernatural given Ellen and Sonny being perfectly platonic, so it's kind of a complicated mess of baby Sasha knowing he's got something she needs back and then getting possessive of his attention and that going... very badly. Like most Bad Machinery stories it's about a mundane thing and a supernatural thing complimenting each other thematically and in this case that's entitlement, possession, and obsession.

EDIT: And technically Sonny is not even in possession of the sealskin or the one that took it! Lottie took it, his baby sister owns it! Ellen is not extra connected to either of those people!

I mean, given Sonny had that dream about Ellen and seems to regard her as attractive, I don't think it's entirely platonic, it's just he's enough of an upstanding young man not to date a Selkie unless it's 100% consensual.

Also he was technically the one who took Ellen's skin, it's just Lottie hid it in his swimming kit.