Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1543611002985627652?t=RhGSX0tlaadELsE-qz3Ehw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, there's a new Dr Stone chapter this week.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's basically Raft/Subnautica. It's fun!

Super Smartphone continues to truck along nicely with its cat-and-mouse game while assembling the pieces with the police.

Elusive Samurai just rocks. Read it, nerds.

Ruri Dragon...I haven't related to a girl in a manga this much since Tomoko Kuroki. This poor girl has generalized social anxiety disorder sooooooooooo bad! Also the girl introduced in this chapter, the one sitting next to her with the different-colored pigtails and the UNUSUAL pin in her hair is absolutely part demon. That pin looks like a demon face!

Oh and Fujimoto's new oneshot was short and funny!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ruri Dragon A melon frappuccino sounds incredible.

Also love the Dr. Stone special chapter

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Roboco :stare:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There was a really aggressive case of sameface going on in Ruri Dragon. But I enjoyed the new girl.

Keep piling on the HxH references. They please me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I'm starting to suspect Sakamoto enjoys presenting as a woman

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that first page of ruri dragon's got me thinking about the logistics of actually putting on a hat with those horns

even with the slits that's gotta be annoying

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Karashi is really growing on me as a character, from his relatively simple motivations for getting into rakguo (cause it sounds classier as a hobby and helps with his image-making) to his decision to modernize traditional rakugo acts to make them more understandable for the modern audience. And it's not just a matter of ego, but rather some pretty practical reasoning on his part - stuff like antiquated units of measurement that your everyday person won't understand would totally hamper your ability to really get into an act. Karashi's strength, I think, is knowing what the audience wants and giving it to them - he brings that up in an earlier chapter when he calls out Akane's Jugemu act as being at total odds with the audience's needs, and his style of rakugo is targeted at the younger population. In a sense, he's the lesson that Akane learned earlier on from Kyoji (though Akane's issue was more about speed and pacing than the content). Koguma even says it's something that's tailor-made to be a success in a competition like this, where the audience is made up of amatuer rakugo practitioners.

That said, Karashi also seems to have a fairly narrow view of rakugo from what we've seen so far, in that he seems to see rakugo as primarily a comedic act (see: him choosing rakugo as a hobby because it's a classier version of stand-up comedy) meant to make people laugh. But clearly there's more to rakugo than just comedy (at least, I assume, not really having a great grasp of the art). Shiguma's apparently known for tearjerkers, and dude's the #2 in the Arakawa school. Plus the original ending of the Jugemu act causes it to take a swerve from a comedy into a tragedy, and turns it into a cautionary tale.

Also, despite his so-called disdain of how the old guard clings to tradition (though as we see with Issho, that doesn't actually seem to be the case), it's pretty cute how he gets unconsciously giddy when Issho tells him he has potential.

I also appreciate the callback to the Tenshiki act, cause I went through the same process of recognition as Akane's teacher, where I thought, wow, this sounds pretty familiar, before it hit me. I know callbacks aren't anything unique or special, but it's pulled off in a really nice way to help you understand how Karashi modernized the act. Another nice part is comparing Karashi's version with Akane's version; while we obviously don't get to see the full portion of both acts, I got curious because I remember Akane practicing the act and noticing the flaws in her trial version, where her line-of-vision was all over the place. Karashi's version presumably features an all-adult cast - which is in-line with the modernized setting of being in a university, but I also wonder if it's a way to deal with the line-of-vision aspect, since Karashi's actual skills aren't all that special compared to his peers.

As for Hikaru's act, presumably it's something that's aimed at pre-emptively killing the impact of Akane's performance? (I can't remember if the performers have to inform the staff what act they're performing in advance, but if they don't, then that makes my guess a lot more likely.) It's something you see sometimes in cooking manga (Iron Wok Jan and I think Food Wars?) where a contestant realizes what their opponent is making and prepares a dish that ruins the impact of the opponent's dish (or causes the opponent's dish to trigger a chemical response in the opponent that hospitalizes a judge to make the opponent's dish appear harmful). It'd be nice if Hikaru deliberately chose an act that she believed would diminish the impact of Akane's performance, because she's clearly very intent on outshining Akane.

Also, Issho continues to be a mystery. Kogane is surprised that Issho would praise Karashi's act, and unlike his feigned polite praise of the other finalists, he seems a lot more sincere in his review of Karashi's performance, even acknowledging that he himself didn't really find the act that funny (which might be Karashi's weakness; in focusing solely on the main audience he created an act that pushed away the old guard, maybe). That said, his 'mask' still appears to be on, so I'm wondering if we'll ever see his more passionate side in the next two performances by Hikaru and Akane.

Why am I typing so much about Akane-banashi, I have no loving clue. I just really enjoy it a lot.

Aliens Area: I didn't read the chapter yet.

Elusive Samurai: drat, those poor fuckin' horses. They made 2 horses run up a platform and jump off. Think of the fuckin' horses, you guys. Also the Kokushi's face in the last page legit look like some skull demon with his teeth all sharpened. Dope art.

Mashle: Oh wow the dude survived. Amazing restraint on the author's part for not repeating the same ending gag for the, uh, 5th? 6th? week in a row.

Roboco and Me: Good poo poo, a rare 2-parter chapter from the series. Easy to forget that Roboco is legit one of the strongest characters in the setting cause she's so busy trying to grab attention.

Ruri Dragon: I wonder when cafes stopped being places to drink coffee and turned into places where people park themselves and their laptops in place for hours at a time while drinking one (1) Iced Americano. Ruri is mood, twintails is powerful for calling out Ruri on her biases and making friends with her anyways. Still a great and cute manga that makes me smile.

Sakamoto Days: The rebellious kids (can they really be called kids when most of them are probably adults) being swept up in the fanaticism of Slur worship is pretty interesting because shounen manga seem to be generally on the side of the new guard when we delve into new guard vs old guard stuff, and Sakamoto is (sort of) on the side of the old guard by virtue of being out to stop the new guard (cause Slur is not a good dude) and having a bunch of former colleagues in the old guard (the Order, except the one guy who's a spy). The Slur worship is pretty funny too, cause some of them are just "Wow, Slur rules cause he's so cool!" but also some are pretty rich coming from assassin trainees, like the part where they think he's cool for killing assassins (which they're training to be????). And then of course there are some valid points like the stranglehold they have over the industry and the skimming they do from the pay.

Honestly the manga's pretty neat cause both the old guard and new guard are people who fuckin' killing people for money and aren't really good people at the end of the day. So it's pretty interesting to see how the conflict develops, and if Slur really is all about the mission as his followers seem to think.

Also excited to see the Order dudes kill more people. Maybe I'm the problem here.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So much to read....

Sakamoto: Whenever the JAA is on screen they're awesome and Nagumo is brilliant. That car sequence had me laughing.

Ruri dragon: d'aww :kimchi:

Witch Watch: Now what do those remind me off? And can we just appreciate the names of the characters. :allears:

Undead Unluck: Time for more poo poo to hit the fan I guess.

Mashle: Hey, one of the jobbers is still alive and now they're on the move including the supposedly broken jobbers! I guess Lance at least will win his match up with the pudding guy since he has just received his Siscon rage power up.

Earth Child: :allears:
First it had me laughing out loud when suddenly the dust storm is in fact still really dangerous. Such an incompetent mess as everyone expounds on how awesome this normal man is.

But then it suddenly swerves into something actually pretty interesting.
As god shows up eating an Earth shaped lolly pop and tells our lead he's on his way to oblivion for messing up his Earth children plans. The best part is that God actually tells our lead he's an idiot. Most relatable character in this series!
It's not exactly a surprise, since it also pays off the mysterious voice Albert heard. But still.

Fortunately, every time the author almost does something right he still needs to mess up in other places...like panelling.

Who decided on this panel layout? We can really related with the lead since we can see the determination in his eyes. We like to rag on the editor, but this is wholly on the mangaka himself I assume.

Twin star exorcist reminds me of a quote I recently heard in a game. "things exploding!" followed by some gibberish. I also have no idea who those 2 at the end are. :psyduck:

Super Phone: Is nothing if not speedy. The pacing on this series is excellent without really missing a beat.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Earthchild's flamout is loving hysterical. Literally the author choosing "Or God" when deciding to blame himself or god*.

*(Gaia, whoever)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That said, his 'mask' still appears to be on, so I'm wondering if we'll ever see his more passionate side in the next two performances by Hikaru and Akane.

I'd find it hilarious if Issho had no mask on - he just has a scary face and earned a reputation for being brutal, but is actually a nice and friendly guy who got kind of a bad rap based on his appearance.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Aliens Area isn’t bad, but it isn’t any good. It’s so aggressively mediocre. It’s hook doesn’t really make it stand out and I think the art is pretty mediocre as well, it has a slight stylization to it, but not enough that it looks unique, it just looks well, ugly.

Definitely dropping it.

Ruri Dragon continues to be a delight. Hope it continues to do well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started reading Claymore, and it kinda feels like a cross between Berserk and the Witcher series? Which is pretty my poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Last Celebration posted:

I started reading Claymore, and it kinda feels like a cross between Berserk and the Witcher series? Which is pretty my poo poo.

Yeah it has the best monster designs outside of Berserk. I really like how the ending was done, it's basically the opposite of how a lot of series would do it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Claymore is good. Reading it monthly it’s a little sluggish, but weekly or at your own pacing it’s reallly good. I read the re edition manga plus put out not too long ago as it was coming out and I read it originally when it was being fansubbed.
Monsters are cool, the Claymore are cool, the world is bleak as hell. It’s great, neat ending as well.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Last Celebration posted:

The anime is good too up until it diverges from the manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My only real problem with Claymore is that since 95% of the cast is silver-haired women wielding nearly identical weapons in nearly identical outfits I end up struggling to remember characters unless they have a super distinctive hairstyle or gimmick.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

My only real problem with Claymore is that since 95% of the cast is silver-haired women wielding nearly identical weapons in nearly identical outfits I end up struggling to remember characters unless they have a super distinctive hairstyle or gimmick.

Yeah, that's a bit of an issue. I think the artist did his best to give them distinctive hairstyles, but he was constrained by a commitment to a fairly realistic artstyle and by the sheer number of characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his ability to draw manga improved dramatically over the course of claymore.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah it has the best monster designs outside of Berserk. I really like how the ending was done, it's basically the opposite of how a lot of series would do it.

I really do think that the monster design is among the best in fantasy manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My main issue with Claymore is that I never liked any of the fight scenes later into the series (and I feel like I remember it leaning more heavily into them, but hard to remember).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Against my own better judgement, I've been reading more Saint Seiya, and I think the series actually improves somewhat in the Poseidon arc. The characters seem to at least occasionally be finding new uses for their powers to counter their opponents' powers, instead of just getting mid-battle powerups by wanting them really badly; I liked Andromeda's chains vs. Scylla's animals. There's even some sense of consequences with the death of most of the Gold Knights/Saints. Though the whole idea of Gemini Canon is somewhat silly, a literal evil twin who constantly talks about how he's the evil twin who is evil, and the attempts to make some of Poseidon's other Generals semi-sympathetic fall flat when they were totally on board with wiping out humanity so long as the idea seemed to be purely Poseidon's.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On Claymore I also encourage people to read the author's previous series Angel Densetsu which is a high school romcom farce. As someone who read Angel Densetsu when it was going it was a bit of a leap there.

Why am I typing so much about Akane-banashi, I have no loving clue. I just really enjoy it a lot.

Cause it's really good OP.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 6, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It really is, I love the artstyle too, and the neat aesthetics. Like the cover page for this chapter or the two-page spread of Karashi that seems vastly different from everyone else.

Speaking of art, another thing I noticed this chapter is that Karashi's rakugo act is shown in a different artstyle than the one we see for Akana or Shinta or Kyoji. It could be because it's modernized, could be a stylistic thing, or could refer to the fact that since Karashi isn't as technically skilled as Akane and her dad/seniors, he's not capable of showing off the range of emotions and bringing life to the cast of characters like they are.

The art for Koguma's rakugo is a bit different too, it feels a lot more, uh, old-timey and historical and traditional. This is probably deliberate given that his style of rakugo is vastly different, and more of akin to a historical lesson than a one-man theater act, with less focus on the characters are more on the conveying of knowledge.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I agree that Angel Dentetsu rocks, it's a fuckin' great series with a wonderful cast.

I honestly got the shock of my life when I tried to read Claymore because I read Angel Densetsu first, during my middle school years.

I sought out the OVA for it and was so disappointed that it wasn't a full anime. This was way back, like late 1990s, when I didn't know about mIRC or torrents and was forced to reliant on random Korean Peer-to-Peer programs or comic book rental shops to get my anime/manga fix. Like, borrowing Dragonball GT episodes on VHS tapes from VHS rental shops-level ancient.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

On Claymore I also encourage people to read the author's previous series Angel Densetsu which is a high school romcom farce. As someone who read Angel Densetsu when it was going it was a bit of a leap there.

Oh yeah, Angel Densetsu is great and IMO better than Claymore overall. It's just a universally great comedy. Claymore is still good, but can be kind of hit or miss in parts.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Oh yeah, Angel Densetsu is great and IMO better than Claymore overall. It's just a universally great comedy. Claymore is still good, but can be kind of hit or miss in parts.

Angel Densetsu even somehow has some protoClaymore monster designs despite being a non supernatural high school comedy.

I honestly got the shock of my life when I tried to read Claymore because I read Angel Densetsu first, during my middle school years.

Same experience here lmao.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Angel Densetsu is fantastic from start to finish.

It also has the the most artistic development from an a mangaka I’ve ever seen over the course of a series

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Reiche posted:

Angel Densetsu is fantastic from start to finish.

It also has the the most artistic development from an a mangaka I’ve ever seen over the course of a series

You might check out the difference between early and late Rosario+Vampire.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Also I agree that Angel Dentetsu rocks, it's a fuckin' great series with a wonderful cast.

I sought out the OVA for it and was so disappointed that it wasn't a full anime. This was way back, like late 1990s, when I didn't know about mIRC or torrents and was forced to reliant on random Korean Peer-to-Peer programs or comic book rental shops to get my anime/manga fix. Like, borrowing Dragonball GT episodes on VHS tapes from VHS rental shops-level ancient.

The main character looks like a Claymore handler!! I see the connection now.

EDIT: is Saint Seiya legally available online and in English?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It just got added to the Shonen Jump app.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It felt good to re-read Rosario+Vampire on mangaplus without the rose tinted googles and it still got better in every possible way.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

How about Ah! My Goddess!

I guess that might be cheating cause that series went on for like, what, 20 years?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Kazuki Takahasi, the creator of Yu-Gi-Oh!, has passed away.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Pegasus Fantasy is a top 100 anime OP for sure, maybe even top fifty.

Brazilian Dub is an insane banger

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've started reading Hoshin Engi and I'm enjoying it, I'm up to the third volume out of 23. It's about a strong naif in Ancient China on a demon hunting quest.

It's not the best at any particular thing but the characters are enjoyable, the main character is interesting and noble and the fights are fun. It was originally serialized from 1996-2000 and it seems pretty standard in its formula for successful manga from around that time period, such as One Piece and Hunter x Hunter. VIZ released it starting in 2007 and it's on the Jump app but only as purchasable volumes.

Apparently it's a cult hit in Japan so I"m hoping the story gets a little wilder, there are hints of something deeper and I'm guessing they'll eventually rise to the surface.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cloks posted:

Kazuki Takahasi, the creator of Yu-Gi-Oh!, has passed away.

Another death we can blame on the Japanese healthcare system. If he lived in America, he'd still be alive today.

In the shadow realm.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 8, 2022

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I finally got around to reading High School Family after bouncing off of it before. Gotta say, it gets a lot better once it settles in and every chapter isn't "A family? In high school!?"

In light of Takahashi's passing I want to give Yu-Gi-Oh a try, but the SJ app has like 4 different comics with Yugi on the cover. What order are you supposed to read them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

I finally got around to reading High School Family after bouncing off of it before. Gotta say, it gets a lot better once it settles in and every chapter isn't "A family? In high school!?"

In light of Takahashi's passing I want to give Yu-Gi-Oh a try, but the SJ app has like 4 different comics with Yugi on the cover. What order are you supposed to read them in?

Start with Yugioh, then Yugioh Duelist Kingdom, then Yugoh Millenium World. There's another one but it's like a sidestory/non-'canon' thing that doesn't fit with the rest.

It basically goes: The Yugioh with all the werid poo poo -> The Yugioh where card games take over everything -> The ending.