Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Mr. Holmes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Iris

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think The Taking Of Deborah Logan centers around that?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Two great docs, not entirely what you're looking for but worth a look: Allan King's Dying at Grace and Frederick Wiseman's Near Death.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 24, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coaaab posted:

Alright, gaspar noe's vortex bowled me the gently caress over, so now I want recommendations for films/documentaries about an elderly parent/relative's deterioration like from Alzheimer's, dementia, stroke, etc.

Remember seeing:
Amour
The Savages

Heard about :
Away from Her
The Father
Relic

I've seen Away From Her and The Father, and both are really excellent.

You could also watch all six seasons of This Is Us!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Just rewatched Hunt for Red October and I'd like recommendations for anything in the same sort of "character actors arguing with/out thinking each other" vein.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Like, where they each have a valid point?

Crimson Tide

The Sunset Limited

12 Angry Men (has the debating / arguing, less so the equally valid positions) (and go for the 1957 version)

Tape

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't seen 12 Angry Men in a couple of decades but it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check out the other stuff too, cheers.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

Just rewatched Hunt for Red October and I'd like recommendations for anything in the same sort of "character actors arguing with/out thinking each other" vein.

A Time to Kill, Primal Fear, A Few Good Men, that type of thing?

There's some solid work in Michael Mann's ouvre too - The Insider is mostly Russell Crowe and Al Pacino talking and it's riveting

I see you put 12 Angry Men on the list, it's a nice double bill with Lumet's other classic Network.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers, I've never actually seen A Few Good Men and I think I'm overdue a rewatch on the others.

I can also highly recommend the 1997 remake of 12 Angry Men, which I only learned about while looking for a copy of the original. Incredible cast, the original writer and Willam Friedkin directing. I still prefer the original but Jack Lemmon and George C Scott are incredible in it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jack Lemmon rules. Which reminds me of another reccomendation - the profane and moody Glengarry Glen Ross, assuming you can stand the sight of Kevin Spacey

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just saw The Handmaiden. Looking for more movies that have that kind of tense emotional relationships, crossing and doublecrossing. Friend already recommended The Favorite so I put that on the list.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LionYeti posted:

Just saw The Handmaiden. Looking for more movies that have that kind of tense emotional relationships, crossing and doublecrossing. Friend already recommended The Favorite so I put that on the list.

It’s so good. (I was referring to the Handmaiden but The Favourite is great too).

Miller’s Crossing. On a lighter note, another Coen Bros, Intolerable Cruelty.

Oh, Michael Clayton. To some degree Nightcrawler.

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 6, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just realized I never got Star Trek The Motion Picture on Blu-ray

Do you guys have a recommendation between the theatrical and the directors cut

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i like the directors cut personally, but i watched it a lot growing up so just getting some extra meat on the bone was welcome

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

LionYeti posted:

Ingmar Bergman's "Persona" is a classic of this type of film, though it is a bit slow to start

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I just realized I never got Star Trek The Motion Picture on Blu-ray

Do you guys have a recommendation between the theatrical and the directors cut

For this movie in particular, choose the one that's longer.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
recommend me the best Russian stuff, I loved Stalker and Ivan the Terrible I and II. Where next besides the obvious other Eistenstein and Tarkovsky?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

recommend me the best Russian stuff, I loved Stalker and Ivan the Terrible I and II. Where next besides the obvious other Eistenstein and Tarkovsky?

Check out the director Alexander Sokurov. Russian Arc is probably his most famous work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

escape artist posted:

Come and See is essential viewing

(if it’s not like already covered by your definition of obvious)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 11, 2022

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kvlt! posted:

Check out the director Alexander Sokurov. Russian Arc is probably his most famous work.

I can't seem to find Taurus anywhere.

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks! I might watch this tonight.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Not a Russian movie, but still very good!

The Man With a Movie Camera, The Return (and basically anything else by Andrey Zyagintsev), and The Cranes are Flying are great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Not a Russian movie, but still very good!

The Man With a Movie Camera, The Return (and basically anything else by Andrey Zyagintsev), and The Cranes are Flying are great.

Ah poo poo you’re right, I had no idea

I feel like Belorussian is adjacent enough to be valid as a recommendation, especially since it was made when the USSR was still a thing

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Ah poo poo you’re right, I had no idea

I feel like Belorussian is adjacent enough to be valid as a recommendation, especially since it was made when the USSR was still a thing
That sort of thinking is exactly what got Ukraine invaded!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

escape artist posted:

Dersu Uzala
I Am Cuba
Viy
Ilya Muromets
Letter Never Sent

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hard to be a God

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace tetralogy is an outstanding adaptation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I recall Burnt by the Sun as being very good.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
If you're interested in more recent Russian output, then Andrey Zvyagintsev's films Loveless (from 2017) and Leviathan (from 2014) are both very good social dramas that take on the pre-war Putin era

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Should I watch the theatrical or the Director's Cut of The Return of Captain Invincible first?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Should I watch the theatrical or the Director's Cut of The Return of Captain Invincible first?

No

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think a similar question was asked itt but I cant remember.

I'm looking for some movies/docs about people who are the BEST at what they do. Like just top level professionals.

Some examples of what I liked that fit:

For All Mankind/Apollo 13/First Man

I love the professionalism and expertise.

Heat is another great example. Bank robbers at the absolute top tier.

The subject interests me less as much as "these people are the BEST at what they do"

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for some movies/docs about people who are the BEST at what they do. Like just top level professionals.

The subject interests me less as much as "these people are the BEST at what they do"

You Were Never Really Here
Phantom Thread
Tampopo
Moneyball I guess?
The bank robbers in Spike Lee's Inside Man (although it's from the POV of the cops)
Atomic Blonde

On the documentary front, there's:
Jiro Dreams of Sushi (sushi chef)
Pina (modern dance choreography)
Senna (Formula One)
Maradona (football/soccer, same director as Senna), though I haven't seen it but I'd assume
Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off (skateboarding), again, haven't seen but I think it must be
Kiss the Water (fly fishing flies. seriously, as weird as it might sound, this and Jiro are probably the closest to what you're asking that I'm gonna list, it's about someone who took a craft and elevated it into an artform)
Finding Vivian Maier (photography)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Kind of a left field rec along those lines, the documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop. 2/3 of the way through, you'll be thinking that I completely misunderstood what you were looking for. Keep watching.

E: while it's not necessary, it is probably helpful to have a passing knowledge of who Banksy is. If you don't, just know that he's a secretive, anonymous street artist who has basically managed to somewhat breakthrough to the larger art world in general due to his talent, vision, and subversive approach to art. Don't read anything else about him or that documentary, just watch it.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 13, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Exit through the gift shop is just the best documentary period

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Agreed which makes it all the more surprising that it didn't win the Oscar. It's a true work of art in and of itself, which is exceedingly rare for the documentary genre.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Non-fiction/historical fiction/biopics :

The Man Who Knew Infinity
A Brief History of Time (The Theory of Everything is good too but , since the story in TTOE glosses over some of Hawkings' more salacious bits, go with the one Hawking wrote)
The Imitation Game (this one also skipped some of the more unsavory aspects of Alan Turing's life, so YMMV)
21 (If watching a Kevin Spacey movie is an issue, skip it)
F for Fake / Color Me Kubrick double feature

Fictional :

Sneakers
The Martian

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A Beautiful Mind.
Good Will Hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Kvlt! posted:

Zero Effect is about the world's best private investigator who is a train wreck in all other areas of his life. It's a comedy/drama/mystery, so maybe not what you're after. However, it is wonderful.