Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry for the double post but that made me curious, how do random things get sentient? Is it a spawn characteristic die roll, or do NPCs go around spray a braining things at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Serephina posted:

Hey Hobotech

Really late to reply but since reading the OP and a few other posts here I've been making some progress. I haven't used the suggested beginner build yet but instead have been trying what Snake Maze posted on pg 490, stacking up a ton of speed buffs on top of electrical generation. I really liked it, but decided to modify it by taking brittle bones and using the points to buy psychometry. I figure the speed will offset the potential damage until I can attain enough TECHNOLOGY, and so far it's been working. Also you're absolutely right about the noncombat skills. One thing I'd like to know is if/how much Fasting Way offsets Amphibious?

The game is good, and that's the summation of whatever I'm about to type. The thing is, I have no idea where to begin. Yesterday I found a painting on a knife that depicted a historical figure who has been kidnapped by bandits, but killed their leader by filling him with existential despair. I've walked into a library that was overseen by friendly sentient industrial runoff that just sat there as I cleared out the shelves, nice guy. Then one of the important Stilt residents was a giant pulsing magnet that would rip things from people's bodies and leave them on a pile on the ground as they walked by, and I think he was the warden? Anyway then I discovered that you could zoom in and the whole game changed for me. Next up, exploring the jungles.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Please continue to post your impressions as you progress :allears:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

HoboTech posted:

One thing I'd like to know is if/how much Fasting Way offsets Amphibious?

Pretty well imo, starting off in a desert village (as that village will teach you Fasting Way for rep which you can get from just water ritualing with the warden + mayor or doing their quests) to learn it as an amphib is part of my most common start and if you're a Nomad mutant, you'll have free Salt Pans lore (and very good starting armor that generates its own water) to reach the stilt at level 1 risk-free if you ignore the interesting locations on the way (basically making you level 5 instantly as long as you talk to the zealot in the village before you leave)

If you want more structure than just doing whatever, try to get a handle on knocking out the main quest line to Grit Gate (will unlock by doing either Argyve's quests in a Joppa start, or whichever quest rewards you with a recoiler in the non-Joppa starts, or in a non-joppa start you can just go to the site of joppa, there will be a data disk where argyve should be, and that will start the main quest) since that leads to the main set of circumstances you need to overcome to "win" the game, while the side quests you can find and everything else is just incredibly awesome ambience/environment/worldbuilding pending whatever other quests/content get made/modded for the game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I believe Fasting Way doesn't quite completely negate Amphibious, but even the raw penalty from Amphibious is negligible unless you dumped Charisma, and even then only in the early game until you start getting higher-tier loot, passive stat increases, and/or learn Snake Oiler from a certain plot NPC who teaches it.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Unormal posted:

• Dynamically generated comma-separated lists of items now use semicolons for separation if any of the items in the list already contain commas.

Ah yes, an update made just for me.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

HoboTech posted:

I haven't used the suggested beginner build yet but instead have been trying what Snake Maze posted on pg 490

To ask a stupid question, where would I find the suggested beginners build?

I’ve had the game for quite a while and still have not got to grips with it, n00b help greatly appreciated!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

MisterBear posted:

To ask a stupid question, where would I find the suggested beginners build?

I’ve had the game for quite a while and still have not got to grips with it, n00b help greatly appreciated!

i want to be welcoming and give you a specific, concrete form of help but maybe the best I have is a question: when you've played, what have you learned how to deal with and what has stopped you from playing more?

idk about beginner specific builds because... there are lots of different ways to play and things that can be learned better and worse with different builds.

I've seen people recommend Praetorians because they start out quite capable from a combat standpoint-- so that the early game isn't full of desperate tactical retreats and hoping to find better gear. It seems like a good recommendation if you want to get further in the early game and see more of the places and take in more of the flavor with less of a chance of dying. OTOH, some squishier builds could still work if you're willing to play in roleplay mode (allows reloading from a checkpoint in a settlement if you die)

I don't think I ever played a build like that when I was learning-- I went for espers that could learn to tinker, then electrical generating / beguiling+proselytizing tinkers. These builds always had to be careful in the early game (especially if my proselytized goat or beguiled snapjaw got killed) but picked up into being tremendously fun later on.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Nowadays the character creation menu has several sample builds and at least the mutant human ones are all quite good. I'd recommend starting with one of them and when you die to a legendary baboon disintegrating you for twice your max hp or something then try experimenting with swapping around some of their mutations.

Or if you're not some kind of coward you could take Chimera, max out on unstable mutations and then sprint for the Stilt for the huge xp bonus and hit level 5 or so right away.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Arcvasti posted:

Or if you're not some kind of coward you could take Chimera, max out on unstable mutations and then sprint for the Stilt for the huge xp bonus and hit level 5 or so right away.

emerge from the desert a whirlwind of limbs and faces

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Chimera axe-user is one of those builds everyone needs to try at least once. There's nothing quite like popping berserk and removing 1d6 limbs every time you attack.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

prisoner of waffles posted:

i want to be welcoming and give you a specific, concrete form of help but maybe the best I have is a question: when you've played, what have you learned how to deal with and what has stopped you from playing more?

All very good and very fair questions!

I don’t really have good answers though… I got the game exactly five years ago today and I played a few hours worth back then and bonked of it for not really knowing what I was doing slash what to do slash how to play.

Obviously the game then and the game now are quite different things and I’d love to give it another chance and actually work out what the hell I’m supposed to do but, frankly, find it a bit intimidating and don’t really know where to start.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the suggested precon builds are pretty good these days, use them. especially Marshtaur and whichever True Man build uses long blades (for Defensive Stance, free +2 DV basically)

the key to the early game is your defensive stats, getting some more AV, DV, and above all HP (from levels) will lower the threshold of good play to something much more attainable. you don't have to sweat every attack if your average level-equivalent critter misses you two-thirds of the time and does a single die of damage if it does hit

if you have some way to travel quicker and/or avoid getting lost taking the Zealot's quest to visit the Stilt and then optionally following up with Bey Lah, which will get you to level 4-5 before you're ever seriously at risk. if you do get lost then hug corners and try to get un-lost by revealing new tiles, the desert has dangerous enemies but you can see them coming a mile away, and if you die you're only out a few minutes

regardless of how you level your first two skills should be Acrobatics and Spry on any character who doesn't start with them already learned

then prioritize fill all your equipment slots with 1/0 armor or 3/x for the torso (easily looted from snapjaws) and you should be set until post-Golgotha

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also dont travel the desert at night early on if you can help it

not fun finding a crew of dawngliders that melt you from the darkness

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

…many helpful things…

Amazing, thank you!

I shall report back on my progress :)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

regardless of how you level your first two skills should be Acrobatics and Spry on any character who doesn't start with them already learned

I disagree with this, most of my runs never pick up those skills due to only having 10 agi or just plain forgetting until later. The skills I pick up first most runs are wayfaring and its ilk - but that's just personal preference, there's no no-brainer choices at lvl1 imo. Acro/Spry are good skills and all but they fall into the "stuff to buy for combat" bucket which sometimes is a later thing.

HoboTech posted:

Next up, exploring the jungles.

MisterBear posted:

I think the most important advice I can give you guys is do not read any spoilers about Golgotha. Please come back to report your findings once you get there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Regen multi arm unstable genome guys with axes are still pretty OP. Regen in general is pretty OP.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Honestly, I've never been too impressed by regen. The limb recovery and disease prevention are nice (especially now that regenerating limbs isn't trivialized as soon as you hit Grit Gate) but they don't come up often and can normally be avoided in the first place by careful play. The health regen during combat never really feels like it makes a difference, not even on the run when I combined regen and photosynthetic skin on a high willpower/toughness build for maximum recovery speed.

It's not the worst mutation out there but there's lots of others I'd want to put 5+ mutation points into first.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The HP regeneration is nice but the status negation is the real star. Being able to rapidly shrug off poison, bleeding, and more exotic physical maladies is extremely handy in certain very dangerous situations; the disease and limb-loss immunity are welcome quality-of-life bonuses.

And at a high enough rank, it makes you immune to instant death from decapitation, which, while niche, is sure nice to have when you unexpectedly run across a Decarbonizer or something :v:

Scaramouche posted:

Regen multi arm unstable genome guys with axes are still pretty OP. Regen in general is pretty OP.

That and Wings. Regeneration and Wings together makes you hilariously hard to kill as long as you remember to hit da bricks whenever you get in over your head.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 30, 2022

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Immune to decapitation would be boss; there's that one type of enemy who gets like a 50% chance to behead you per attack that would make melee basically a no go without it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

status negation really is the star, and remains relevant forever

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

The HP regeneration is nice but the status negation is the real star. Being able to rapidly shrug off poison, bleeding, and more exotic physical maladies is extremely handy in certain very dangerous situations; the disease and limb-loss immunity are welcome quality-of-life bonuses.

And at a high enough rank, it makes you immune to instant death from decapitation, which, while niche, is sure nice to have when you unexpectedly run across a Decarbonizer or something :v:

That and Wings. Regeneration and Wings together makes you hilariously hard to kill as long as you remember to hit da bricks whenever you get in over your head.

Regeneration: keeps you from losing your head when you're in over you're head.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
  • Creatures can now shank.
  • "Skills and powers"" are now just called "skills".
  • Droid scramblers are now considered metal.
  • Gave droid scramblers a commerce value.
  • Gas breathing mutations are now affected by the gas tumbler.
  • Mushroom cherubim now have more appropriate idealized features.
  • Mechanical urchin cherubim now have idealized features that match non-mechanical urchin cherubim.
  • When a creature is cloned via cloning draught or by a cloneling, the clone no longer carries over graftek grafts.
  • You can now select several artifacts at once to throw down the sacred well.
  • Added missing "molten wax drop" object.
  • Conveyor belts now have 64,000 HP, down from 250,000 HP.
  • Added a user interface option to disable most tile-based flashing and animation effects.
  • The same sound can no longer be played more than once in a single frame. This fixes several issues with sound volumes.
  • Unequipping the [redacted] via [redacted] of a [redacted] now angers [redacted] similarly to as if you had used [redacted].
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the stairs created by spiral borers to override the generation of normal stairs.
  • Fixed a bug that caused recharge sounds to sometimes play too loudly.
  • Fixed a bug that caused buggy dialog options like "MISSING_QUESTION" and "MISSING_ANSWER" to appear in village immigrants' dialogs.
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible for 1-pound metal items to become coated with liquids.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the majority of encounters on the world map to become undiscoverable after reloading the game.
  • Fixed a bug that caused followers who end up on the world map for some reason to crash the game.
  • Fixed a bug that caused followers joining their leader from the world map to pass time as if you, the player, were traveling.
  • Fixed a bug that caused stingers to appear in the inventory.
  • Fixed a bug that caused krakens to fail to change their behavior in any way because of being terrified.
  • Fixed a bug that caused precognitive visions gained via sphynx salt injectors to continuously ask if you wished to return to the start of your vision.
  • Fixed a bug that caused unequipping the [redacted] to leave permanent attribute modifiers behind.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some sets of strange tubes to not be treated as plural.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused game state to not reset after reloading.
  • Fixed a bug that caused single-size penetration dice to explode infinitely.
  • Fixed a rare bug that caused the game to freeze on the Freehold splash screen.
  • Fixed a soft lock when speaking to Pax Klanq without Q Girl's climber blueprints.
  • Fixed a frequent crash caused by an interaction between temporal fugue and force bracelets.
  • Fixed errors in Kah and Nacham's dialogue.
  • Fixed some typos in polished gemstone descriptions.
  • Fixed a typo with rectangular bells.
  • [pets] Gloaming no longer respawns on the world map, forestalling a possible crash.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Unormal posted:

• Fixed a bug that caused single-size penetration dice to explode infinitely.

lol

"time to roll my D1 and see what i get.

ah, a 1! i get to roll again! time to roll my D1 and see what i get..."

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Unormal posted:

• Unequipping the [redacted] via [redacted] of a [redacted] now angers [redacted] similarly to as if you had used [redacted].

This reads like an early document from Control and I enjoy that.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I can best sum up my experience in Golgotha as: "Nnnnnnnnnn."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

HoboTech posted:

:allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

HoboTech posted:

A proud rite of passage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just love it! What type of sadistic mind thinks "You know what this game needs? A hazing ritual"

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Serephina posted:

I just love it! What type of sadistic mind thinks "You know what this game needs? A hazing ritual"

That's... yeah, ok, that's an accurate description of Golgatha.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

picturing the player who gets there for the first time as a regenerating centaur and is just like "oh, what's the big deal"

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I bought this game, in part based on this thread, like 5 years ago (i think it still had a significant bit of ascii graphics?) because of the appeal of the utterly unique setting/worldbuilding in it. However, I bounced off the game back then due to not being a huge fan of roguelikes and the steep learning curve of figuring out the controls, mechanics, etc. I decided to fire up the game this week and it is seriously impressive how much more accessible the game is, with wander and roleplay mode and the general major improvements to UI, controls, and more. Really looking forward to setting out and exploring this awesome world finally!!

I know the devs occasionally post itt (or at least used to) and I just want to say thank you for not only adding content, bugfixing, etc, but genuinely accommodating players who might be interested in the setting and world but not so interested in the more unforgiving aspects of the genre.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a workshop mod that adds a tutorial bit for some of the mechanics if you feel like you need it and yeah this is the only RL I really bother going back to aside from ToME4

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

picturing the player who gets there for the first time as a regenerating centaur and is just like "oh, what's the big deal"

Acid? Lightning? Fire? No thank you

Oh hey there little guy

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My only successful run so (at least with the story that's in the game so far) was a multi armed axe user with quills, and golgatha wasn't too bad til I got towards the bottom and all kinds of new and exciting ways to die started showing up.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My latest run ran into a Putus Templar war party down in the Cloaca. Things got pretty hairy until the gunner-sergeant angered Slog, who calmly swam over and absolutely wrecked every last one of them :stare:

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I feel like it's a problem I might not be able to solve without more knowledge of how the game works (not using a wiki). I have a few ideas but obviously I can't ask any NPCs for help. Also water is becoming an issue and I worry if I continue on aimlessly I'll just squander resources and completely tank the run. Might start a new run and learn more about how everything works before burning more resources. Looks like 'Down2Party' is on temporary retirement.

Also I looked at the True Kin and I have to ask, are cybernetics really as powerful as the mutations or psychic powers? I looked the the starting list and it was pretty underwhelming compared to being able to make 5 identical copies of yourself or having extra legs.

edit: I did manage to kill Slog but I was level 21 so whatever lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mutations are more impressive than cyberware but there's been some recent moves towards making chrome more attractive

for example, the flying, flame-gouting cyber-throne that you can install yourself into

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The best cybernetics can be pretty great, but as a whole mutations are a lot stronger and more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

HoboTech posted:

I feel like it's a problem I might not be able to solve without more knowledge of how the game works (not using a wiki). I have a few ideas but obviously I can't ask any NPCs for help. Also water is becoming an issue and I worry if I continue on aimlessly I'll just squander resources and completely tank the run. Might start a new run and learn more about how everything works before burning more resources. Looks like 'Down2Party' is on temporary retirement.

Also I looked at the True Kin and I have to ask, are cybernetics really as powerful as the mutations or psychic powers? I looked the the starting list and it was pretty underwhelming compared to being able to make 5 identical copies of yourself or having extra legs.

Water is really easy to replenish honestly, so don't worry about "wasting" it - I routinely dump some out if I need a little more carry weight for the trip back to town. If you're really running low, scrounge up some random weapons from Snapjaws or whatever (ideally steel or better, maybe iron if you can carry it, don't bother with bronze as it's basically worthless) and sell it all to the nearest non-follower NPC willing to trade with you. They don't even have to be a merchant - if they can put up a trade interface, they can buy things and fill your waterskin. Taking your time is a good thing in this game.

Cybernetics are nowhere near as powerful as mutations in the early game, but very lategame True Kin can become absolutely terrifying cyborg killing machines who see through walls while quad-wielding gatling lasers that draw infinite power from their cybernetic internal reactor, or permanently flying techno-angels who float around dismembering everything with a halo of razorblades.

It's hard to overstate just how bonkers an endgame True Kin can get, but that relies on certain combinations of implants together with lots of cybernetic credits, so you'll spend a ton of time diving ruins and haggling with gutsmongers before you reach that point. Mutants scale up a little more organically but are frankly just as capable of being horrifically powerful, although they do it in slightly different ways.

Some people present True Kin as a sort of "advanced" option for more experienced players, but I honestly feel that they're a superb introduction to some of the habits that will help you win. They get slightly better stats and more skill points, allowing you to spread your skills around more without crippling yourself, and their lack of mutations forces you to get used to using ranged weapons and consumables on a regular basis, which is frankly a super important habit to cultivate either way.

If you're looking to try something different, absolutely give True Kin a shot. I recommend an Artifex with moderate intelligence and good physical stats - you'll probably want to grab a basic ranged skill (rifles or pistols) and a basic melee skill (long blades and short blades both go very nicely with tinkering) for the accuracy bonuses at some point, but aside from that you have lots of room to really spread out and experiment.