Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

The show downplayed Dany’s worst aspects while championing a lot of her stuff. They did it with a few characters, Tyrion got the same treatment, and Stannis got it the opposite way.

Tyrion's whitewashing so they could completely flanderize him into "funny dwarfman who drinks and knows things!" was one of the things I hated the most about season 5 onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

PostNouveau posted:

The Drowned God's only superpower is that CPR works a lot better for his people.

It is kind of funny that The Drowned God is the one true god of the setting and no one ever talks about. R'hllor has, what, 3-4 priests that can do magic that we see? if literally every priest of the Drowned God wasn't a walking Lazarus pit, the population of the Iron Islands would go to zero in a couple of generations.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 7, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Drunk in Space posted:

Tyrion's whitewashing so they could completely flanderize him into "funny dwarfman who drinks and knows things!" was one of the things I hated the most about season 5 onwards.

Late season Tyrion was not funny and didn't know anything

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Tyrion got crossbowed when trying to make a deal with Cersei in season 8 that would have been a little funny

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The show downplayed Dany’s worst aspects while championing a lot of her stuff. They did it with a few characters, Tyrion got the same treatment, and Stannis got it the opposite way.

Arya as well. She's joined an extremely hosed up cult of death, does a horrific massacre of the Freys which is played as justice on the show because it's an eye for an eye, and yet she's still running around afraid for her life during the King's Landing seige, banging her childhood crush before the big battle, dreaming of sailing off to Fantasy America.

The end that the books are going for is clearly going to be the Starks are going to "win" these various wars, but before forever hosed up by them. Bran is mind controlled by some kind of telepathic monster man. Sansa is a huge piece of poo poo schemer who's going to be worse than Littlefinger or Cersei, her mentors in being a piece of poo poo. Arya is a creepy magic assessing who steals people's faces. Jon Snow killed his queen/aunt/lover and got exiled to live with the feral people.

The show has lean into this if this is the ending, not pretend all these people are self-actualized and doing great.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

If Tyrion got crossbowed when trying to make a deal with Cersei in season 8 that would have been a little funny

He was so loving lame by that point that it's probably one of the few 'expectations subverted!' twists D&D could have done that I honestly would've cheered.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Piell posted:

Late season Tyrion was not funny and didn't know anything

Sometimes I wonder if Dinklage was being vocal about not liking the direction his character was going and D&D responded by making Tyrion stupider and useless.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The survival rate of people receiving CPR is 10-15%, even with modern medical interventions, so that is literally the worst plan anyone ever came up with.

It's a lot better than doing nothing when someone goes overboard.

As a system for picking a ruler yeah it's not great, but as a thing that exists in that society but as part of their religion I like it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The survival rate of people receiving CPR is 10-15%, even with modern medical interventions, so that is literally the worst plan anyone ever came up with.

The survival rate of people who receive CPR in tv show is almost 100%. Especially if they have been under water for a long time.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

It's a lot better than doing nothing when someone goes overboard.

As a system for picking a ruler yeah it's not great, but as a thing that exists in that society but as part of their religion I like it.

To be fair, elections or for that matter a hereditary crown don't seem to be great ways to pick rulers. Maybe we could try the whole drowning and bringing back if we feel like it thing for a bit?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

in season 8 what are you insane

you mean in season 3

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Wouldn't want an unlucky ruler

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Tyrion tries the Honeycomb and Jackass joke again and gets a bolt between the eyes for his trouble.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Dr. Poz posted:

If you haven't watched the Preston Jacobs Season 7/8 Fixed series, I'd recommend it. I typically avoid that kind of stuff but Jacobs other videos are really well grounded and the restrictions he sets for himself in rearranging seasons are very appropriate. His theory crafting videos on the books drew me in and after clearing through most of them I started on his Season watches. The Season reviews are skippable unless you just like hearing someone agree with you though.

Also, during his Season 8 watch he repeatedly commented on Tyrion's plan with the bells and how it didn't seem to make a lot of sense. I thought he may have been picking a little too hard, but during my own recent rewatch I got to the Battle of the Blackwater and Davos laid this quote on us:

lol

There is a channel on YouTube called Good Subs, and they just cut out all of the music and dialogue, then put their own subtitles in the footage in an effort to "fix" the last two seasons. While the dialogue is kind of bad, they did give much better plot points and character motivations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you've got the whole gang around for the drowning ritual, my understanding is that you can pull them out while they're still gasping with apneotic breaths and the heart is beating, and then CPR is much more successful. That plus just go easier on the king you want and actually drown the others, bada bing. I thought it was mostly favouritism till Damphair showed up and was the real deal.

Do we know of any assassinations-by-baptism?

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, no joke I read it as "High-may" for like ten years before the show came out.

I was confused why one spanish guy was in with all the pseudo-english names.

e: wiki says 0-5 minutes of submersion with prompt care has only a 10% death rate. Includes being taken to modern hospital after CPR, but the immediate first aid makes a huge difference.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 7, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the show if they had done some kind of ritual and part of it had been something resembling CPR, that would have worked.

But as it is, after he’s drowned they just drag him out of the water and lay him on his back, and stand there in a circle watching.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Alhazred posted:

The survival rate of people who receive CPR in tv show is almost 100%. Especially if they have been under water for a long time.

It works even better if you give an emotional speech instead of chest compressions or rescue breaths

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MrMojok posted:

In the show if they had done some kind of ritual and part of it had been something resembling CPR, that would have worked.

But as it is, after he’s drowned they just drag him out of the water and lay him on his back, and stand there in a circle watching.

Is Damphair in the show?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you'd think Damphair was some cool name like Dhampir or something but no, he's just really moist.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how his backstory involves him being a party guy who wanted a penis boat

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Damphair in the show?

Yes. He is the one who recites the prayer and then holds Euron under the water.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

An insane mind posted:

To be fair, elections or for that matter a hereditary crown don't seem to be great ways to pick rulers. Maybe we could try the whole drowning and bringing back if we feel like it thing for a bit?

There's definitely merit in immediately drowning anyone who volunteers themselves to be a ruler.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

uber_stoat posted:

you'd think Damphair was some cool name like Dhampir or something but no, he's just really moist.

He's just really pretty

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Just remembered how the Dothraki become such a non-entity after season 2.

Season 1 hyped them up as really fiercesome fighters that could turn the tide of the war were Daenerys to cross with them.

S3 they are implied to be there but there's no recognisable character because the previous season they literally killed all of them (the bloodriders and handmaidens), until the Unsullied join at which point they are completely forgotten. The original khalasar is never mentioned again, not even as victims of the Sons of the Harpies.

S4 and 5 they are completely absent in any shape or form until the last episode.

Then s6 kinda tries to make them important again for the first 3 episodes but then after Daenerys kills all their leaders they are just fused into her Unsullied army and dissapear again.

They resurface in s7 during the Fields of Fire but we never learn what their agency in any of this is. Daenerys has no Dothraki representative in her strategy meetings with maybe Grey Worm acting as leader of both armies.

Then in s8 we see the "end of the dothraki" while they charge blindly into a wall of undead. Then they respawn again for KL's raiding...and then they decide to stay there and everyone pretend they didn't commit war crimes?

What a ways to go for a faction that had an entire language made up for them in s1.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I maintain they should have hired extras from the central asian republics and Mongolia from among the dudes who still practice insane horse and archery skills

And that the dothraki should invent shirts, lances, and bows

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I maintain they should have hired extras from the central asian republics and Mongolia from among the dudes who still practice insane horse and archery skills

And that the dothraki should invent shirts, lances, and bows
I want hawk hunting, goddamn it!

Although ironically the real Mongol hordes were more terrifying, because they wore armour and were excellent at sieges.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Plucky Brit posted:

I want hawk hunting, goddamn it!

Although ironically the real Mongol hordes were more terrifying, because they wore armour and were excellent at sieges.

Yeah but the dothraki are a barbaric horde they don't know what clothes are. Nevermind that desert dwelling and hell steppe dwelling tribes learned pretty loving quick that covering up helps a lot against dying of exposure.

But no. Only Europeans wear clothes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

An insane mind posted:

Yeah but the dothraki are a barbaric horde they don't know what clothes are. Nevermind that desert dwelling and hell steppe dwelling tribes learned pretty loving quick that covering up helps a lot against dying of exposure.

But no. Only Europeans wear clothes.

Brought to you by the guys who thought a show about the Confederacy winning was a good idea.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

As Nero Danced posted:

Brought to you by the guys who thought a show about the Confederacy winning was a good idea.

I've expressed this before, but the idea of a show about the Confederacy winning isn't inherently bad. But wow are they the wrong people to make it.

It'd be like if Eli Roth made Get Out.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Xealot posted:

I've expressed this before, but the idea of a show about the Confederacy winning isn't inherently bad. But wow are they the wrong people to make it.

It'd be like if Eli Roth made Get Out.

There's a mockumentary about the idea already, so it wasn't even an original concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnwTWfFRM8

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

uber_stoat posted:

There's a great early GRRM response to questions where he says exactly that. I remember when I first started reading the books I thought it was some sort of weird title or name too, I was reading it as "dam-fair." And someone posed that question to gurm and he was just like, "uh no... the dude has damp hair."

He's the coolest Iron Islander in the books though, it's a shame they barely use him in the show. Victarion is way cooler than Euron too, idk how you could emphasize it in the show but all the descriptions about him wearing full plate armor on the water because gently caress it, he's drowned before, is super badass.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

As Nero Danced posted:

There's a mockumentary about the idea already, so it wasn't even an original concept

Also several other alternate / dystopian history dramas airing around the time they announced it. So, no, not at all.

But in much the way that Man in the High Castle leaned into how 50's Americana is extremely compatible with the values and goals of the Nazis, there's *someone* who could make an alt-history show about the Confederacy that highlights how they kind of did win anyway, in actual US history.

Like, a Black showrunner and writer's room could probably make a feast of how this horrendous dystopian nightmare is pretty much what happened IRL, with the Southern Strategy, prison-industrial complex, and broadly racist underpinning to massive structures in our society. That's probably not what D&D were going to bring to the table.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobjr posted:

I may be the only person on the planet for whom Tyrion's "we cheered for her as she did horrible things" speech worked. I really liked that bit. Many of us were absolutely complicit as viewers in cheering her on as much as we were and the cold water in the face there was extremely welcome for me.

We saw a person doing terrible things, but also how she got there, and the mind can't help but "poo poo, I can see myself making the same moves" if it isn't just blowing past everything straight to "GET 'EM, WHITE SAVIOR!"

I figured those things would disqualify her from being a ruler if she didn't learn from them, and to the show's credit, they did have her stop learning from them long before the reveal at the end of the show.

I maintain that if you described the entire ending to somebody who'd stopped watching before D&D started showing their asses, to the person we'd all imagine a super rad version of what we actually got. It's a funny joke butchered in the retelling by an unfunny person.

As Nero Danced posted:

I got paid to run a pre-release screening of that flick and it wasn't nearly enough. Not that it's necessarily bad. I don't remember much about it beyond being uncomfortable at the idea that a lot of people were going to beat off to it, both metaphorically and literally.

It did provide the perfect framework for a World War Z movie I'm still pissed we never got: A Ken Burns-esque talking head documentary — slow-zooming and scrolling of still photos and all — about a bunch of poo poo that never happened.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

As Nero Danced posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnwTWfFRM8

"documentary where the confederacy won"

*fades into weinstein company logo* got a chuckle

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

She burned a victim of rape alive in the first season.

Her actions are always framed by the show as ambiguous at worst right up until the end. If we were intended to see any of prior actions as cruel the show didn't really frame them that way at any point, there's always an out.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Xealot posted:

But in much the way that Man in the High Castle leaned into how 50's Americana is extremely compatible with the values and goals of the Nazis, there's *someone* who could make an alt-history show about the Confederacy that highlights how they kind of did win anyway, in actual US history.

There's no "kinda" about it. They lost the war but won reconstruction which ultimately had a greater, long-lasting affect.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

HBO Announces Jim Crow Spinoff

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

I figured those things would disqualify her from being a ruler if she didn't learn from them, and to the show's credit, they did have her stop learning from them long before the reveal at the end of the show.

wdym if anything the show had a lot more moments of learning than the books had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTblN1cDgU4&t=233s

For instance, when she first meets hizdahr she acts justified in the crucifixation of the masters, but then is taken aback by the possibility presented by hizdahr that some of those masters might have been against the crucifixation of the slaves and eventually decides to grant him the right to bury his father. in the books iirc such exchange never happens.

Then we have the post-Barristan death events (which again is something that in the books didn't happen) that haver her round up the masters and kill one of them in reprimand, but afterwards she admits her mistake and decides to marry Hizdahr as a means to restore peace in the city, whereas in the books she was coerced into that decision by the green priest.

The seeds were never there in the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Her actions are always framed by the show as ambiguous at worst right up until the end. If we were intended to see any of prior actions as cruel the show didn't really frame them that way at any point, there's always an out.

After the speech about how Dany will ally with the worst of the worst and ignore the way they murder and rape it was pretty clear how she would end up. I agree that they hosed up the execution but there never was any real doubt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Literally all the rulers in the show had "shades of grey" or were outright evil fuckers, so when Dany killed some random guy or did something ambiguous it didn't read as "she's losing her mind! She's a cruel rear end in a top hat!" because all the other characters in the show who had seats of power were always way worse.

So her turn from being a ruler who executed traitors and enemy soldiers with her dragons to a madman who burned an entire city down and didn't even feel bad about it was complete tonal whiplash