Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Watched Dagon last night at the threads recommendation. Loved it! There was one notably bad VFX shot and the lead actor was serviceable at best but the vibes were immaculate throughout. Seems like the video game Bloodborne in particular borrowed heavily from this film. I liked how you wouldn't necessarily call it a gory movie throughout but the poo poo that's there is still shocking 20 years later.

Great stuff in the "this town hates strangers" genre. What other movies are in that space? What comes to mind immediately is the Sam Neill mouth of Madness movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Class3KillStorm posted:

NBC tried to do that update with Jerry O'Connell as Herman like 15 years ago.)

10 years ago, yeah. I really enjoyed that, and was interested to see where it would have gone.

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.
Always thought that Dagon was ̶r̶i̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶b̶y̶ I mean served as a huge source of inspiration for Resident Evil 4. I mean, it's set in Spain, there's angry rural villagers who don't have much in the way of modern technology trying to kill the protagonist, cult controlling the villagers, I swear one of them looks like a dead ringer for the Merchant.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drunkboxer posted:

Michael and Laurie are going to get married

Michael and Laurie find that they've come to the winter chalet they've both bought timeshare, at the same time! It's a really long drive back home so they have no other option but to make the best of it. But with a little love and understanding, and the fate of the ski resort being decided by a snowboarding contest...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Expand on what they did with 2018 and just have the whole movie be from Michael's perspective as Laurie stalks and kills him

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Great stuff in the "this town hates strangers" genre. What other movies are in that space? What comes to mind immediately is the Sam Neill mouth of Madness movie.

The Wicker Man

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

It's not that hard to explain. Gore isn't fun when the movie's cynical, and while some movies can pull off a bleak tone with violence and gore a lot of the times it just comes across as really gross. I think it depends on the intent of the director, like if the director is somebody like Eli Roth who just thinks it's funny when eyeballs are burned out of somebody's head or somebody gets hacked to pieces while still alive then it's just kind of creepy and offputting.

But I'm the kind of person who'll watch that poo poo anyways. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure there's a reason why my roommate, who is usually complaining and looking away when there's any sorta moderate injury or blood on most dramatic movies or TV, really enjoyed Evil Dead 2 when I conned her into watching it a few years back.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dagon is an adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, In the Mouth of Madness is Carpenter's Lovecraft homage. Bloodborne and Resident Evil 4 also have clear Lovecraftian influences, so yea there's definitely a common element there.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

make this the new gangtag

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Keep this on hand to be the reward for completing the October Challenge.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

married but discreet posted:

:hmmyes:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cannibal Llama posted:

Always thought that Dagon was ̶r̶i̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶b̶y̶ I mean served as a huge source of inspiration for Resident Evil 4. I mean, it's set in Spain, there's angry rural villagers who don't have much in the way of modern technology trying to kill the protagonist, cult controlling the villagers, I swear one of them looks like a dead ringer for the Merchant.

i dont think capcom has ever confirmed it but i will never stop believing that resident evil 4 was influenced by shinji mikami watching dagon after they had already worked on and discarded three separate builds and storylines for resident evil 4 lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 7, 2022

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

damnit why the capital G???? And yet, if i think of it like a campy, goopy movie it becomes transcendent.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Dead & Buried

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hm, third movie in a Halloween franchise and the director says it's going to be a departure from the last two? I've heard that before...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A big problem with the gore genre is streaming too. Big streaming services won't let gore movies onto them, and the few gore companies that have tried streaming (Unearthed, A Baroque House) have generally had little success. I think a big part of it is the audience for these movies are physical media collectors. I don't really wanna stream Traces of Death or Orozco, I want to own it. But that makes the genre harder to grow, because people are hesitant to spend $20-$30 on a DVD or blu ray of a movie they've never seen.

I'm talking about gore films like Toetag Pictures, Unearthed, Black Lava Entertainment, etc. not like Dead Alive or French Extremity gore films.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

For some reason I always loved Maverick. I think it might have been my first western.

You probably loved it because it’s good as heck

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

You probably loved it because it’s good as heck

Maverick is fun, but man did they noticeably ADR a lot of the dialogue. Though that may be a Mel Gibson issue in general, it's been a long time since I've seen one of his movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Phy posted:

Maverick is fun, but man did they noticeably ADR a lot of the dialogue

What does ADR mean?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Well poo poo, at least let me draw a better one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Well poo poo, at least let me draw a better one.

we need to make this a tag like the spook-a-doodle crew

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

What does ADR mean?

I don't know what it stands for, but it's dialog that was recorded later. A prime spookadoodle example of it is "woodshed"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

What does ADR mean?

automated dialogue replacement
It’s usually done to either re record dialog that had sound issues on the day or add extra lines off screen to fill in gaps.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

automated dialogue replacement
It’s usually done to either re record dialog that had sound issues on the day or add extra lines off screen to fill in gaps.

Ah gotcha. Film question: when I read this I think of overdubbing/dubbing, is that a more technical term for it or is there a difference between ADR and overdubbing? Or is ADR the mechanism you use to overdub?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I think ADR is specifically the method where they play the film back on a loop and the actor performs their lines, attempting to have the dialogue match exactly with what's on screen (i.e. lip sync)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Phy posted:

Maverick is fun, but man did they noticeably ADR a lot of the dialogue. Though that may be a Mel Gibson issue in general, it's been a long time since I've seen one of his movies.

Yeah I mean I saw it in theaters when it was new and haven’t seen it since. I’m sure you’re right

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! posted:

Ah gotcha. Film question: when I read this I think of overdubbing/dubbing, is that a more technical term for it or is there a difference between ADR and overdubbing? Or is ADR the mechanism you use to overdub?

ADR is how most dubbing is done these days. And by these days I mean most of my lifetime.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think ADR is specifically the method where they play the film back on a loop and the actor performs their lines, attempting to have the dialogue match exactly with what's on screen (i.e. lip sync)

Cool, thanks! I'm an audio nerd so I'm always interested in how sound works in films.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah it refers to a specific process of looping it to record multiple takes, but it's used commonly to refer to any out of place or obvious dubbing, especially adding in lines from a character when their back is turned to the camera.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Hm, third movie in a Halloween franchise and the director says it's going to be a departure from the last two? I've heard that before...

If they went to all that effort to bring back Charles Cyphers for Halloween Kills, and they're gonna do a similar big departure, then they need to bring in Tom Atkins for a small cameo for Halloween Ends.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Class3KillStorm posted:

If they went to all that effort to bring back Charles Cyphers for Halloween Kills, and they're gonna do a similar big departure, then they need to bring in Tom Atkins for a small cameo for Halloween Ends.

gently caress it, bring in Tommy Jarvis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Halloween Kills will be the franchises first foray into the multiverse. The killer will be revealed as Ben Tramer, who traveled to the Rick Rosenthal-verse and saw himself get killed by Loomis, now he's out for revenge.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mike is gunna kill Laurie then die of covid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Mike is gunna kill Laurie then die of covid

No it’s gonna be the sheriff who gets Covid and coughs on Mike.

“I got you…*cough cough*”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Don't you dare get my hopes up like this

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

gently caress, I’m still thinking about The Sadness.

That thing really just roosts in your head like a weird, violent bird.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Laurie is going to find out that Michael died from his wounds at the end of Kills, go berserk, see a kid in a particular clown costume, and shoot up a school.

Flashbacks will retcon the entire series (serieses?) to show that Laurie was the bad guy all along.

Sono fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Sono posted:

Laurie is going to find out that Michael died from his wounds at the end of Kills, go berserk, see a kid in a particular clown costume, and shoot up a school.

Flashbacks will retcon the entire series (serieses?) to show that Laurie was the bad guy all along.

... I'd watch that.