Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"boomer shooter" is something I can't believe got traction and I hate but at least it's probably the funniest Gen-x erasure on record
i thought about getting boomer shooters in this sale but they're all around $15 so i held off. plus i still have Dread Templar, HROT, and Wrath in my library, just waiting on more content updates, and I have Hedon Bloodrite. i have ion fury too but I will probably not signal boost when I play that game lol. gently caress those devs.

i have Adaca from the queer games itchio and I might play that later this month before it releases officially. and there's a game not on sale but is 3 bucks and very "one person developed in a bedroom" called revulsion that I'm interested in, which combines boomer shooter with looter shooter

there's a lot of cool stuff coming out but a lot of it is still upcoming or is in "we've released one episode" early access purgatory. i'm excited for Cultic (basically Blood 3), Prodeus 1.0, Turbo Overkill 1.0, Viscerafest 1.0, Blood West 1.0, Fallen Aces, Gloomwood, Chains of Fury, and of course, Project Warlock 2 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've been somewhat strapped for spare time lately, so have been getting into games that are easy to pick up and play for short periods. Recently finished Broforce, Hotline Miami 1&2, Super Meat Boy, Cuphead (a little bit too tough for my liking, tbh), and now looking for some new titles to try out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

A parallel ask - what twin-stick shooters should I check out? I recently played through Alienation on the Playstation, and that was a pretty fun experience, so would be interested in trying some similar style games on the PC.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Deakul posted:

I've just never considering crafting materials to be loot, it's essentially like just getting currency as a reward... yay?

And yeah, gear mods are not great rewards unless it's coupled with getting new gear too but alas, all the fun stuff is locked behind timers and a whole lot of resource farming.

Meh, I gave Warframe something like 30 hours and I still felt like I barely accomplished anything at all.

let me break down the dichotomy here because i don't think it makes sense if you do:

weapons gotten as random pickups during a mission = loot

weapons gotten in between missions based on getting random pickups during a mission = not loot

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know what I would call Warframe, but I definitely do not put it in the same genre as Borderlands.

Never played Destiny but I always assumed that was more like BL.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Warframe is not a looter shooter. You don't constantly cycle through a treadmill of randomized, stat-providing armor pieces and weapons as a core part of the gameplay. Instead, you constantly get mat drops that allow you to slowly craft up a collection of armor and weapons to use as platforms for the trinkets you'll also craft and glue onto those single "armor" pieces and weapons to upgrade their function. It'd fundamentally different from traditional looter shooters like Destiny, The Division, Borderlands, etc.

If anything, I'd call Warframe a Crafter Shooter. Whatever it is, it's different enough from traditional looter shooters that it would be misleading to just lump it in with them and call it a day.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 7, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's grindy and repetitive but in a different way.

If Borderlands is a treadmill then maybe Warframe is an elliptical.

They're adjacent, but distinctly different.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Warframe is a dog petting simulator where I also decorate my spaceship apartment.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

iGestalt posted:

Warframe is a dog petting simulator where I also decorate my spaceship apartment.

It's a rat plushie collecting simulator.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This is 2022. Didn't you see what happened to roguelike? You don't get to have such tight genre definitions anymore. Warframe is a shooter with a loot grinding. It is a looter shooter. You don't have to be a Borderlands clone to be one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can’t wait for another three pages of meaningless pedantry about what a genre is

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fun fact you don't have to read the thread, or post in it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Phigs posted:

This is 2022. Didn't you see what happened to roguelike? You don't get to have such tight genre definitions anymore. Warframe is a shooter with a loot grinding. It is a looter shooter. You don't have to be a Borderlands clone to be one.

Ah so what you're saying is they're ARPGs because they crib a lot from Diablo 2 then :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Can’t wait for another three pages of meaningless pedantry about what a genre is

The sale is over what the hell else are we supposed to talk about besides Crafter Shooters?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
It's odd seeing so many people speak authoritatively about Warframe without mentioning Kuva or Tenet weapons. Forma? Forma rains from the sky and you can "prestige" weapons in literally five minutes with no effort or planning. Warframe added a free battlepass-like system called Nightwave a few years ago that really, really sped up many of the old grinds to help new players get current just by playing the game. You accumulate Nightwave credits just by accomplishing random tasks every week like jumping 150 times or killing enemies with weapons that deal frost damage.

No, no Kuva/Tenet is different. Kuva/Tenet is an extreme level of bullshit grinding that is purpose built for individuals that somehow love bullshit grinds, with no ability to speed up the process or whale yourself into the best weapons. It is built to break you.

Every Warframe has an innate elemental polarity. Check the wiki. On certain planets/levels that are constructed of certain tilesets a type of mob spawns. Check the wiki. While playing on those levels, after a period of time the lights will start to flash yellow. This is a timer. You have 1 minute from the first flash to kill X mobs to trigger the real event. A KUVA LICH LARVALING will spawn and taunt you. "Hey fucker, I'll eat your goddamn bones." Find the lich, kill the lich. The lich will drop to their knees and an icon will spawn over their head. The icon represents a random weapon from the Kuva lich weapon pool with an innate polarity that matches your Warframe - is it a good weapon? Oh you better check the wiki. Kill the lich, finish the level like regular, zip back to your ship. Turns out the lich didn't die and their big brother now attacking the star system and corrupting entire planets. Do you have a parazon and Kuva Requiem Mods? You must now start to accumulate a sequence of mods that arrange into a cypher by killing Kuva Thralls who have a five percent chance to drop a Requiem Relic. Each Relic can be opened by beating a mission for a chance at a Kuva Requiem Mod. Start to amass a bunch of them to be safe, this may take a couple hours. Do you have them all? Check the wiki or buy the mods from other players. Okay, so now you have your Parazon mods arranged into a cypher. Go complete missions that the Kuva Lich is corrupting to build the Lich's rage meter. After 5 or so missions their rage meter will cap out and on the next mission the Lich will spawn. Liches are not easy and get intensely difficult over time. Kill the Lich, they will drop to the ground. Stab them with your Parazon. This will roll a check that compares your mods against the Lich's cypher. Did you guess right? Probably not. There are 24 possible combinations (8 mods across 3 slots). The Lich disappears, moves to another planet, grow stronger, and give you another 1/24 shot to actually kill them. If you are really good or lucky you can usually kill them over 4 planets. Oh and Requiem Mods have limited uses (3).

Okay, you guessed correctly and downed the Lich. You can either kill them completely, taking their weapon. Or you can mercy them and get them as a crewmate on your space ship. Probably best to kill them. They have dropped a weapon. My Kuva bow is named after the lich I killed. Remember that polarity? It has an innate damage buff that matches and I hope you planned for that. The damage buff is randomly set when the Lich is spawned and can range from +25% to +60%. You will never see a percentage drop over 30%, so how do you get 60? Well, you farm weapons - and they have to be the same weapon with the same polarity - and "break them down" to combine them. By combining weapons you can slowly (like by 2-5% per combination) build up to 60 percent.

So are these weapons good? Yes, they are unquestionably the best weapons in the entire game. I have one Kuva Bramma. Longbow that fires room-clearing explosives. It is a piece of poo poo 32% buff of a non-meta polarity and it is still one of the best weapons in the game. It deals 1.4 million DPS sustained. The vast, vast majority of weapons in the game even with the best mods deal a few thousand DPS.

Oh and I'm not even mentioning Arcane Adapters which are kind of like mods but require grinding "the steel path" which is the game's hard mode only available after you complete all other content.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

OzFactor posted:

I'm trying to pinpoint exactly why this bothers me so much, but man, they really want you to be thinking about Chrono Trigger in this trailer. Like they should have named the game HEY Y'ALL LIKE CHRONO TRIGGER??

It's one thing that the encounter/combat system looks very similar, but another entirely that they hired Yasunori Mitsuda to compose music for it. It's a bit off-putting because it's such flagrant and transparent pandering.

(I'm still gonna wishlist it)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I fuckin love Warframe lol

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

war frame is an RPG because you play a role in it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's actually a fighting game because you fight enemies

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

warframe is an rpg because it's a rocket propelled grenade

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's a turn based tactics game, except it runs at 60 turns a second.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Agent355 posted:

It's a turn based tactics game, except it runs at 60 turns a second.

Only 60? Are you living in the stone age? :smug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

everyone knows the human eye can't process more than 10 frames per second if you say you can see the difference you're lying

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's odd seeing so many people speak authoritatively about Warframe without mentioning Kuva or Tenet weapons. Forma? Forma rains from the sky and you can "prestige" weapons in literally five minutes with no effort or planning. Warframe added a free battlepass-like system called Nightwave a few years ago that really, really sped up many of the old grinds to help new players get current just by playing the game. You accumulate Nightwave credits just by accomplishing random tasks every week like jumping 150 times or killing enemies with weapons that deal frost damage.

No, no Kuva/Tenet is different. Kuva/Tenet is an extreme level of bullshit grinding that is purpose built for individuals that somehow love bullshit grinds, with no ability to speed up the process or whale yourself into the best weapons. It is built to break you.

Every Warframe has an innate elemental polarity. Check the wiki. On certain planets/levels that are constructed of certain tilesets a type of mob spawns. Check the wiki. While playing on those levels, after a period of time the lights will start to flash yellow. This is a timer. You have 1 minute from the first flash to kill X mobs to trigger the real event. A KUVA LICH LARVALING will spawn and taunt you. "Hey fucker, I'll eat your goddamn bones." Find the lich, kill the lich. The lich will drop to their knees and an icon will spawn over their head. The icon represents a random weapon from the Kuva lich weapon pool with an innate polarity that matches your Warframe - is it a good weapon? Oh you better check the wiki. Kill the lich, finish the level like regular, zip back to your ship. Turns out the lich didn't die and their big brother now attacking the star system and corrupting entire planets. Do you have a parazon and Kuva Requiem Mods? You must now start to accumulate a sequence of mods that arrange into a cypher by killing Kuva Thralls who have a five percent chance to drop a Requiem Relic. Each Relic can be opened by beating a mission for a chance at a Kuva Requiem Mod. Start to amass a bunch of them to be safe, this may take a couple hours. Do you have them all? Check the wiki or buy the mods from other players. Okay, so now you have your Parazon mods arranged into a cypher. Go complete missions that the Kuva Lich is corrupting to build the Lich's rage meter. After 5 or so missions their rage meter will cap out and on the next mission the Lich will spawn. Liches are not easy and get intensely difficult over time. Kill the Lich, they will drop to the ground. Stab them with your Parazon. This will roll a check that compares your mods against the Lich's cypher. Did you guess right? Probably not. There are 24 possible combinations (8 mods across 3 slots). The Lich disappears, moves to another planet, grow stronger, and give you another 1/24 shot to actually kill them. If you are really good or lucky you can usually kill them over 4 planets. Oh and Requiem Mods have limited uses (3).

Okay, you guessed correctly and downed the Lich. You can either kill them completely, taking their weapon. Or you can mercy them and get them as a crewmate on your space ship. Probably best to kill them. They have dropped a weapon. My Kuva bow is named after the lich I killed. Remember that polarity? It has an innate damage buff that matches and I hope you planned for that. The damage buff is randomly set when the Lich is spawned and can range from +25% to +60%. You will never see a percentage drop over 30%, so how do you get 60? Well, you farm weapons - and they have to be the same weapon with the same polarity - and "break them down" to combine them. By combining weapons you can slowly (like by 2-5% per combination) build up to 60 percent.

So are these weapons good? Yes, they are unquestionably the best weapons in the entire game. I have one Kuva Bramma. Longbow that fires room-clearing explosives. It is a piece of poo poo 32% buff of a non-meta polarity and it is still one of the best weapons in the game. It deals 1.4 million DPS sustained. The vast, vast majority of weapons in the game even with the best mods deal a few thousand DPS.

Oh and I'm not even mentioning Arcane Adapters which are kind of like mods but require grinding "the steel path" which is the game's hard mode only available after you complete all other content.

What's the disease called where this makes me kind of want to play warframe

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

goferchan posted:

i see u also have a powerful thanatos drive

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Treadmill Fucher's Syndrome

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im hippin and hoppin for klonoa today!!!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

goferchan posted:

It's clearly a looter shooter addiction.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

goferchan posted:

Terminal Goonitis.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

LLSix posted:

In regards to Last Epoch, I don't know why anyone would buy an aRPG in a world where both Path of Exile and Lost Ark both exist and are free.

I have been running the same story campaign in Path of Exile for almost a decade. If I could just skip to maps or do ANYTHING to level other than the story again I would still play it.

Lost Ark is a K-MMO with an ARPG camera perspective. The gameplay is good but the terrible island stories you have to go through between tiers of content and the typical korean game item upgrading system turned me off.

I'm actually having a lot of fun coming back to Inquisitor Martyr. They did a rework of the whole game at some point and it's much faster paced than it was at launch. Blowing up demons and xenos while your dude yells BURN, HERETIC is a good time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I am v excited for PoE 2

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

OzFactor posted:

I'm trying to pinpoint exactly why this bothers me so much, but man, they really want you to be thinking about Chrono Trigger in this trailer. Like they should have named the game HEY Y'ALL LIKE CHRONO TRIGGER??

I guess I’m just a sucker because every trailer that pulls this grabs me, and then the reviews come out, and the game always does mediocre enough that I don’t even end up trying it. A Modern JRPG that actually delivers on the promise rather than just looking superficially like Chrono Trigger is pretty much the thing I want most from gaming.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Diephoon posted:

I'm actually having a lot of fun coming back to Inquisitor Martyr. They did a rework of the whole game at some point and it's much faster paced than it was at launch. Blowing up demons and xenos while your dude yells BURN, HERETIC is a good time.

Oh really? Interesting. I tried it out at some point and it felt like "What if we made Diablo really slow and didn't polish the game at all" and returned it quite fast. But drat if the Warhams IP doesn't feel ripe for the genre. Lemme just plays as Terminator or something mowing down swarms of Chaos Cultists and Bloodletters and Poxwalkers and whatever other cannon fodder the Chaos Daemons bring to the table.

Agent355 posted:

I am v excited for PoE 2

Actually same. I'll bitch about GaaS and supremely burnt out on PoE, especially the leveling process, but I'm really intrigued by their changes to the socketing system because oh my loving god leveling and not wanting to replace your 10-level-old Bow with a new one because its sockets suck is the dumbest poo poo.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

Oh really? Interesting. I tried it out at some point and it felt like "What if we made Diablo really slow and didn't polish the game at all" and returned it quite fast. But drat if the Warhams IP doesn't feel ripe for the genre. Lemme just plays as Terminator or something mowing down swarms of Chaos Cultists and Bloodletters and Poxwalkers and whatever other cannon fodder the Chaos Daemons bring to the table.

Yeah I'm having a lot of fun with it. I will say as usual, doing the story sucks. It's not challenging at all and the story is serviceable, typical Inquisitor stuff where something Radical is happening and is it OK to use Chaos against itself ooOooOOOo it's so morally grey!

When you get to level 35 however you unlock Void Crusades. These are a series of maps that end with guaranteed access to a fat loot room if you don't gently caress up the final mission or lose too many lives clearing the other maps. This mode is fun, and can be challenging because as you do more maps in the Crusade the difficulty increases. You can also stack tarot cards on each map that add modifiers and can target specific kinds of loot. There's a hardcore mode too so you can risk losing the entire Crusade if you die, but not losing your character, it's great! I just wish it was a more roguelike experience. There's only so many different "colors" of Crusades to run and the maps are static, so you can just follow a guide if you want to maximize your loot.

If you want the Terminator experience the Crusader class is basically a mini space marine. I can attest that the Heavy Bolter, Multi Melta, and Heavy Flamer are all satisfying to use.

As for the loot itself, the itemization is kind of interesting and items are extremely modifiable if you salvage enough materials to reroll them. There's also Diablo style rune words (called Psalm Code Doctrines) but you can slot the Psalm Codes in and out of items at no cost, so it's all really flexible.

There are still remants of the old sytems in there. The cover system is still usable but I forget about it most of the time. Apparently melee executions are still in but I've never seen any because I haven't used a melee weapon build. The game is pretty fun with a controller but you will occasionally run into jank UI issues.

Overall I think it's a pretty unique ARPG because of all the gunplay and the 40k setting.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 7, 2022

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

an actual cat irl posted:

I've been somewhat strapped for spare time lately, so have been getting into games that are easy to pick up and play for short periods. Recently finished Broforce, Hotline Miami 1&2, Super Meat Boy, Cuphead (a little bit too tough for my liking, tbh), and now looking for some new titles to try out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

A parallel ask - what twin-stick shooters should I check out? I recently played through Alienation on the Playstation, and that was a pretty fun experience, so would be interested in trying some similar style games on the PC.
For twin stick shooters, I've really enjoyed Crimsonland, Neon Chrome, and Jydge - all from the same company. I'd be interested in other recommendations, but all three of those are winners.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"boomer shooter" is something I can't believe got traction and I hate but at least it's probably the funniest Gen-x erasure on record

Shush! First rule of Gen-X is you don't talk about Gen-X!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some more info on AI Dungeon Steam

- $30
- Unlimited use of Griffin model (same AI model as free accounts, but free accounts had 'energy' and time restrictions that you had to watch ads or pay $ to get around)
- AI Dungeon 2D (AI also generates images)
- Advanced Settings (i don't really know what this means because I don't really use AI Dungeon)
- will also be applied to your mobile account

most of what I know about AI Dungeon is that the Griffin model is not as good as the premium one but is decent and has some fun emergent moments, but they also chopped their models off at the ankles because too many people were using them for erotic reasons and not necessarily the savory kind, so now they're not AS reactive

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Warframe is a Metroidvania.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

take three tablets posted:

I guess I’m just a sucker because every trailer that pulls this grabs me, and then the reviews come out, and the game always does mediocre enough that I don’t even end up trying it. A Modern JRPG that actually delivers on the promise rather than just looking superficially like Chrono Trigger is pretty much the thing I want most from gaming.

Have you played Cosmic Star Heroine? I hope you did because if not, you missed on on the -80% sake window by 2h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xander77 gifted me Earth's Dawn to make a review of.
It is basically a side-scrolling beamup like Muramasa but without the mobility, good gameplay, or good looks. The story is Earth Defense Force Iron Rain meets Monster Hunter and the tons of material grinding you can expect. There will be tons of material grinding and replaying missions in order to craft/level your gear and your character. The first stage dropped 20 different material items and a replay on Hard dropped another 10. You also pick up floating items that add a fractional amount of space to slot your skills you eventually learn through grinding in the laziest creative way possible. Unfortunately, the game doesn't explain anything until you advance the plot and finish missions and that includes anything about the enemies you meet. The tutorial stage assumes you will do nothing but swing a sword, jump, shoot your gun, or boost jump. There are a dozen or so other attacks you can currently do with that character if you press a direction and attack and/or jump. According to the strange as hell upgrade tree (which has dozens of unknown activation requirements that won't open up just yet), a couple dozen more attack options in a sort of weapon/skill switching mechanic, like you do when you change weapons in a Devil May Cry game. Pick this weapon to debuff when you attack or do a combo of moves that you slotted.
The combat basically glues you in place when you swing your sword or shoot, unless you use a direction attack that has you move when attacking. Spamming attacks are bad unless you got the enemy stunlocked at the edge of the screen. You have no options at all if you go to the menu in a mission, just selecting to retire, so you are running blind until the mission is over. There is a ranking system based on how much you suck at fighting, a chance to score a rare drop/heal on kill mechanic, and limited full heal continues according to the difficulty. You replay cleared stages with leveled gear in order to get better drops and boss loot and see what elemental weapons work best or resisted by bosses. There are ailments in this game, just like in EDF Iron Rain and they last for a long enough time to get you killed. The first boss hit me with a few different ones and I had little idea what they are besides making me slow. There is no tutorial on them after the mission.
You have materials that you get by killing things, clearing stages, disassembling gear that counts as an entirely different material. There is also an energy system that is the minimum needed to craft something unless you want to get fancy with elements, which costs additional energy to produce. It isn't just weapon A,B, and armor slots for your character. There are other slots that seemingly appears as a fashion accessory slot, or a super weapon that gets unlocked later. Nothing is explained just yet. You will make copies of your weapons with special materials, if you want to destroy bosses faster or get higher scores.