Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

I assume this is why he always turns off replies on his tweets these days, loves fishing it out but can’t take it himself. Made a mistake replying though, can’t turn off replies to your replies.

Wilks did hit on a feeling I get a lot, just watching public figures put back on their 'eccentric dinner party radical' masks without comment has been driving me slightly mad. So it's nice to see I'm not the only one afflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Gort posted:

Eton Hog was Boris' school nickname

He's a record exec in spinal tap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ef4mfG1aBc

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Boris is somewhere watching 1/6 videos and sighing heavily

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boris should definitely have used his bridge money to put number 10 on top of a giant terrace like the capitol building so that nadine dorries could have dramatically scaled it in support of him.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Boris should definitely have used his bridge money to put number 10 on top of a giant terrace like the capitol building so that nadine dorries could have dramatically scaled it in support of him.

Yeah it was so smalltime of him to take bribes for what, a redecoration? He could have turned it into a fortress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never actually knew that the US capitol was built on a hill until the january thing, I always assumed it just had a few steps up front but no it's like a japanese castle cos they built it on top of a hill.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OwlFancier posted:

I never actually knew that the US capitol was built on a hill until the january thing, I always assumed it just had a few steps up front but no it's like a japanese castle cos they built it on top of a hill.

Also like a Japanese castle because it's surrounded by cherry trees.

Of course they literally call it "capitol hill" and "the hill" so this is really on you

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I heard that name but I always kind of assumed that was like, near the capitol building or something, not directly under it. Like college green for us.

We are not a poetic or creative people

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 7, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

quote:

Sven Goran Erikksen

We've been blinkered on trying to recruit a Brit for too long, it's time to get in the best talent in the world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I heard that name but I always kind of assumed that was like, near the capitol building or something, not directly under it. Like college green for us.

Also it's a lot smaller in fallout 3.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The "founding fathers" talked about Freedom, about Rights, but we would have to ask them what those words mean, to paraphrase Lenin a bit. Since they seemed to consider those concepts valid only for a very particular set of White land-owning Men. They were still just Feudalists, and they built a castle on a hill.

The British-Canadians burnt it down a few years later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The "founding fathers" talked about Freedom, about Rights, but we would have to ask them what those words mean, to paraphrase Lenin a bit. Since they seemed to consider those concepts valid only for a very particular set of White land-owning Men. They were still just Feudalists, and they built a castle on a hill.

The British-Canadians burnt it down a few years later.

I enjoyed the recent atun shei video (the whole checkmate lincolnites series is very good) that kind of gets into the spread of ideas of the white man's republic in the US and CSA.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

it's like a japanese castle cos they built it on top of a hill.
Pelosi's Castle, a gameshow where you have to master stupid obstacles and steal a lectern.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sure people would have built stuff on hills in london if it... had any, which i don't think it does being a giant flood plain.

St Paul's certainly tries to give that impression.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I am sure people would have built stuff on hills in london if it... had any, which i don't think it does being a giant flood plain.

London is an actual cradle of civilisation, that formed over thousands of years of material conditions (water and stuff). Capitol Hill was formed by some oval office looking at a hill and saying "Hey let's build up there".

quote:

Pierre (Peter) Charles L'Enfant, as he began to develop his plan for the new federal capital city in 1791, chose to locate the "Congress House" (the Capitol building) on the crest of the hill at a site that he characterized as a "pedestal waiting for a monument."

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh my god he loved this turn of phrase from the speech so much he tweeted it:
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1545064428147822592
Obvious subtext: After my successor is in place, your interests and the government of the country will both go directly down the shitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

This is why Sheffield is the true capital and also the ninth Rome, being built on seven hills (along with all the other places that claim that because you can count a fractal number of elevations within any given boundary).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Btw it's been a while since I posted here. What is the state of the Monster Munch war?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

apparently london has three hills all of which I could probably piss up the height of, and one of them has the actual tower on it lol.

Rarity posted:

Btw it's been a while since I posted here. What is the state of the Monster Munch war?

Basically the hundred years war and everyone is too depressed to fight it, but it is nice to see you Rarity, honestly it's been very nice to see lots of people popping in to have a lol at the current state nonsense.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

London is an actual cradle of civilisation, that formed over thousands of years of material conditions (water and stuff). Capitol Hill was formed by some oval office looking at a hill and saying "Hey let's build up there".

Edinburgh has also been around quite a long time, though admittedly trying to find a bit of level ground in Scotland is rather harder. I do feel like that is a particularly awkward place to live though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 7, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

London is an actual cradle of civilisation, that formed over thousands of years of material conditions
Guess I'm a primativist now if that's what happens.

Rarity posted:

:hotpickle:

(good to see you again)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Guess I'm a primativist now if that's what happens.

There may be a case for declaring rivers as immoral because they cause Humans.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

(good to see you again)

I come not to bury Boris but to piss on his grave :tipshat:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There may be a case for declaring rivers as immoral because they cause Humans.
Going to write a thesis on how the natural activity of a riverine system eventually causes a street full of boarded up American candy stores and make an ecologist cry.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

War never changes and Flamin' Hot remains the Correct flavour of Munch.

(Hey ol' buddy)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brendan Rodgers posted:

No other city can boast a poo poo wipe island.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Guavanaut posted:

This is why Sheffield is the true capital and also the ninth Rome, being built on seven hills (along with all the other places that claim that because you can count a fractal number of elevations within any given boundary).
I lived there for 10 years and came to the conclusion that Sheffield is a non-euclidean spacetime where your destination is uphill, irrespective of where you start from. Apart from Manor Top, which is the part of Hades simulation that went too deep and the coordinates wrapped around.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Some Victorians wanted to build a 950-ft pyramid on top of one of London's few hills, with an internal honeycomb structure, each cell of which would be the resting place of 24 corpses...with a total capacity of (iirc) 5 million dead Londoners.

Just seems like London being dominated by a gigantic Pyramid of Death should be a metaphor for something

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If your settlement doesn't have 180ft cliffs and a pirate ship, is it even real?

BalloonFish posted:

Some Victorians wanted to build a 950-ft pyramid on top of one of London's few hills, with an internal honeycomb structure, each cell of which would be the resting place of 24 corpses...with a total capacity of (iirc) 5 million dead Londoners.

Just seems like London being dominated by a gigantic Pyramid of Death should be a metaphor for something

God drat we could have had the gothic revival bass pro shops pyramid.

(funnily those pictures are kind of on the giant death cliff that is full of dead people at the top, I think occasionally one of them falls out as the cliff erodes)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 7, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Very entertaining thread from yesterday through today. Maybe we can be rid of Bolsonaro this year too and some day overcome our collective fascination with electing completely shithead populists to major power country governments. It feels like every single election now boils down to some loudmouth idiot with a cult of personality and a centrist liberal with Lula being in the running in Brazil being the exception.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Now it's just a metaphor for the rest of the Victorians being completely lame and not going ahead with the awesome gigantic Pyramid of Death. :colbert:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol the Mail:

*observes a giant conga line of tory mps sashay up to boris and stick knife after knife into him, like straight-up shiv him right out in public where everyone can see, not even trying to hide it*

:( loving remoaners killed my boy!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Saying he's supporting Ukraine but having his government essentially refuse to take any significant number of Ukrainian refugees is loving bullshit. "I support Ukraine, but in a far-off sense that doesn't involve me doing anything that would inconvenience me." Stupid twat, doesn't even really deserve praise for the one thing he hasn't completely hosed up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1545109628870168578?t=5UN-J9Dor6HWTMIw3KeJ_w&s=19

Alright we have new ministers start the resignation counter again.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Going to write a thesis on how the natural activity of a riverine system eventually causes a street full of boarded up American candy stores and make an ecologist cry.

Well to paraphrase Douglas Adams, the real problem here was the Universe being created. I'm one of the people he was writing about, the big bang was a bad idea and we should be angry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Webb telescope is going to show that everywhere else is fine and it's just us that messed up.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Possibly stupid non-Brit question. But when was the last time a PM left office truly of their own accord? Not because they lost an election or lost a power struggle or suffered some scandal or were just toxically unpopular? Just walked into retirement relatively respected and well liked? Cause I think it has to be one I can't even name after watching every episode of The Crown.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Possibly stupid non-Brit question. But when was the last time a PM left office truly of their own accord? Not because they lost an election or lost a power struggle or suffered some scandal or were just toxically unpopular? Just walked into retirement relatively respected and well liked? Cause I think it has to be one I can't even name after watching every episode of The Crown.

If you squint, Blair? Technically he was just honouring his deal with Brown, but he still tried to wrangle for more time and left the office near-universally hated even if it was at a time of his choosing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also as I recall he was sitting on a load of poo poo that got dumped on brown after he hosed off, so I suspect that was more a case of jumping before you're pushed.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Cameron left of his own accord, albeit after losing his gamble on the Brexit vote. Blair is the last one 100% to say nah I've had enough I'm leaving.

None of the bastards have been respected and well liked because well... they're all bastards.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Cameron called the Brexit vote wrong and immediately resigned while humming the west wing theme to go build an elaborate shed and let someone else deal with this bullshit

That's easily the most dignified end since Wilson,who spent years hating the job and telling everyone hed quit at 60. He announced his resignation within a week of his 60th birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm not sure any PM has managed that (especially the bolded bit) since the role and British politics as a whole took on a recognisably modern form. Blair very much went at a time and in a manner of his own choosing but nearly everyone was utterly sick of him by the time he did so. Wilson also resigned when he told everyone he would (when he hit 60) but he was a paranoid mess (with justification!) and was losing control of his party and the country at the time.

Salisbury resigned on health grounds (being so fat he struggled to breath, mostly) in 1902 but without any pressing political or public issues to escape from. Before that Gladstone resigned from his fourth term as PM on points of principle (not wanting to introduce an inheritance tax or to increase naval spending and not being able to get Irish Home Rule through the Lords) which I suppose was a power struggle within the Liberal Party but he resigned with his popularity and power intact.