Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DoubleDonut posted:

This is actually really interesting to me; do you know if Nobunaga’s Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are similar? I know those games are all related, gameplay wise.

Mostly I just like 4xes in concept and have put tons of time into a bunch of them without ever getting good at any of them, and I think my biggest problem is that so many 4xes seem primarily designed for multiplayer but I find multiplayer 4xes to be very dull, even with friends

I personally have no experience with NA or ROTK, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

quantumfoam posted:

How is Distant Worlds 2 with 3+ months of patches and fixes?
It quit crashing on me after like 3 beta patches. There has been 20 or so patches since.
It's been playable for a long time, but they are fine tuning some odd behaviors still.

If you play total or mostly manual control you can be more efficient than the AI, but it does good enough and has for awhile now.

I have one win and 82 hours of playtime.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Captain Beans posted:

The Koei games Nobunaga and ROTK vary wildly between titles in the series. Some are heavier on 4x others are more focused on playing individuals (who also can run empires) like Crusader Kings.

Some of the best regarded Nobunaga games:
* Sphere Of Influence: Ascension - stand-alone expansion that allows playing as individual characters instead of the traditional 4x omnipotent god
* Sphere Of Influence - traditional 4x omnipotent god

Some of the best ROTK games:
* ROTK 11 - traditional 4x omnipotent god, turn based, units/ cities/battles all occur on the same overworld map. Nifty unit combat that’s kind of like Fire Emblem
* ROTK 13 + PUK - best regarded one where you play as individual characters. With expansion you can do stuff like just be a merchant trying to make cash or a mercenary, or get drunk with your bros. Real time with pause, battles take place on separate zoomed in maps like an RTS, but still exist as time passes on the world map so reinforcements can feed in. Battles are not quite as complex as 11. I think you can only directly control battles where your character is physically present.

Nobunaga's constipation.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

It quit crashing on me after like 3 beta patches. There has been 20 or so patches since.
It's been playable for a long time, but they are fine tuning some odd behaviors still.

If you play total or mostly manual control you can be more efficient than the AI, but it does good enough and has for awhile now.

I have one win and 82 hours of playtime.

How do you keep the game enjoyable after the initial colony rush? I always find the universe kind of stagnates, with nothing to do until the next engine upgrade researches.

Terra Invicta chat: I’ve enjoyed the demo despite the jank. No idea how it will hold up as it gets more sophisticated - the on earth stuff seems like it could get very micro heavy later in the game. But the scale is like no other Xcom alike, and the tech quotes have a really encouraging Alpha Centauri vibe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

How Disgusting posted:

Nobunaga's constipation.

No that's how Uesugi Kenshin died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uesugi_Kenshin

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
drat didn't expect to be almost factually correct. Also, and unrelated, thread title for Terra Invicta needs to be cuban space program.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Beefeater1980 posted:

How do you keep the game enjoyable after the initial colony rush? I always find the universe kind of stagnates, with nothing to do until the next engine upgrade researches.
Distant worlds 2
I've been using Scott's guide system start settings and tweaking a few every couple of games.
Some of the settings handicap/hamper the AI factions more than the player or vice versa. As I get better at keeping away from auto management I find there is always something to do.

If stuff is stagnated you can raise the chaos level or declare a war or trade for tech from pirates to jumpstart the ability to do what you want to.

Being able to assault pod capture enemy ships is fun.

Umm mess with the starting settings to spice it up and maybe start at a higher tech level?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just tried the Pegasus Expedition demo. I was hoping for something like Imperium Galactica. I feel like I got something a lot closer to Stellar Monarch.

I don't enjoy the goofy and seemingly deliberately bad attack strategies you are forced to choose from. Anyone feel like it did anything well?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That Terra Invicta demo seems to have disappeared from steam. Don't suppose anyone has a link to anywhere else it can be found?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That Terra Invicta demo seems to have disappeared from steam. Don't suppose anyone has a link to anywhere else it can be found?

It was only supposed to last for the one week. There aren't any official places to get it; it's possible that you might be able to go sailing for one but I myself haven't tried.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sometimes you can still install them via the SteamDB link

https://steamdb.info/app/2023830/

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'd appreciate some super-quick feedback on a few impulse buys I'm considering before the sale wraps up.

Master of Orion 2: I constantly hear this touted as one of the gold standards of the genre, but it's pretty long in the tooth. Is it worth picking up today, or have its innovations been done better in more recent, UX-ier titles?

Star Ruler 1/2: I've heard this described as "Slipways with a lovely ship editor"- is it worth a look if I'm planning on minimizing combat/design as much as possible to focus on crunchy trading/resource networks, or should I stick to Distant Worlds 2 to satisfy that itch?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

Star Ruler 1/2: I've heard this described as "Slipways with a lovely ship editor"?

It is that yes. It really shouldn't count as a 4X, though it is dressed like one. The Star Ruler 2 Lovers are going to be on their way to this post but remember, there will always be an audience for lovely puzzle games, it's one of the biggest mobile gaming genres after all.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 7, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It is that, yes. It is dressed up in some space graphics. The Star Ruler 2 Lovers are going to be on their way here but remember, there will always be an audience for lovely puzzle games, so don't listen to them.

Slipways is great though, so if anything that's selling me on the game. How ignorable is the ship designer though?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Slipways is great though, so if anything that's selling me on the game. How ignorable is the ship designer though?

Hard to ignore, it is extremely proud of its ship builder, like most games that have one.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 7, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hard to ignore, it is extremely proud of its ship builder, like most games that have one.

That's unfortunate.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Omi no Kami posted:

I'd appreciate some super-quick feedback on a few impulse buys I'm considering before the sale wraps up.

Master of Orion 2: I constantly hear this touted as one of the gold standards of the genre, but it's pretty long in the tooth. Is it worth picking up today, or have its innovations been done better in more recent, UX-ier titles?

It's rare in that the shipbuilder has some really interesting options that you can customize your ships with, like focusing on boarding enemy ships to steal them mid-combat. The AI is kinda bad, but *waves in the direction of thread title*. Really late-game fights can drag on since each ship is controlled individually and fleets can get pretty big near the end. Also, the galaxy map music is incredibly monotonous, so bring your own. I still feel like it's one of the best 4X games, warts and all, and I'd love a new version that improved upon what is in the existing game instead of adding a thousand new features.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This updated version of moo 2 is decent

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
MoO2 is literally the only game where I've thought the shipbuilder was fun and not wasting my time for no reason.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It is that yes. It really shouldn't count as a 4X, though it is dressed like one. The Star Ruler 2 Lovers are going to be on their way to this post but remember, there will always be an audience for lovely puzzle games, it's one of the biggest mobile gaming genres after all.

Shut yo mouth! Star Ruler 2 is cool and good. The diplomacy system is excellent.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

V for Vegas posted:

Shut yo mouth! Star Ruler 2 is cool and good. The diplomacy system is excellent.

Yeah the card system in diplomacy was cool.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

MoO2 somehow has an UI that works perfectly with a touch screen. I played the whole game on a dos box emulator on my phone

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Star Ruler 2 is open source. Don't pay money for it. Goon made as well if that matters.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

for what it's worth as someone who hates ship designers and thinks they're a cancer on most space games star ruler two actually makes it matter. Basically your fleets are formed around capital ships which then are the Nexus for support ships, and you can go really wild with support ships setting up different behaviors for each different one you'd design. Wanna make a flying chunk of armor that dives in front of incoming fire? You can do that!

And the alternate drive systems are insanely fun. Build fling gates and eventually you can just fling heavily armed space stations into new systems.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gently caress, that game sounds and looks cool and now I'm about to spend yet another sizable chunk of my life clicking on spaceships and dark blue UI menus

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Omi no Kami posted:

Star Ruler 1/2: I've heard this described as "Slipways with a lovely ship editor"- is it worth a look if I'm planning on minimizing combat/design as much as possible to focus on crunchy trading/resource networks, or should I stick to Distant Worlds 2 to satisfy that itch?

Since no one else has mentioned it I'll note Star Ruler 1 and 2 are vastly different games. Star Ruler 1 is a 4x with a lot of unique mechanics, very different from anything else but with its own issues. It's kind of fun to play with the scale, since the fact that size is just a number you put into the ship designer means you can have ships the size of solar systems and eventually blow up entire suns (it's a game where everything, up to the galactic core black hole, has hitpoint values).

Star Ruler 2 is more of an RTS where you're colonizing systems in order to set up resource chains, like Slipways as I understand it, and I honestly did find it a ton of fun. Including a ship designer in an RTS (though it can be paused) is honestly one of it's odder decisions, but you can save and load designs or even download from a player submitted library to avoid dealing with it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
If you can look past the cheesy art, Stars in Shadow is also worth a try. It plays similarly to MoO2, including top-down, turn-based tactical battles, and has some interesting asymmetry between the races (humans, for example, start off as space refugees, with a powerful BSG-esque fleet but no homeworld). And since this has come up in recent conversation here, the similarity with MoO2 means that the ship designer is actually decent and reasonably meaningful rather than being a pointless and tacked on chore.

It's missing something extra to make it a great game (the overall goofiness of the art and interface is definitely off-putting), and is not without various flaws and shortcomings here and there, but it's a solid experience nonetheless and probably one of the few MoO2 wannabes over the years that actually comes fairly close to the mark.

The MoO remake sebmojo mentioned is also pretty good if you play it with the '5X Ultimate Balance' mod (it's kind of a bland and uninspired game in vanilla, sadly, despite its high production values).

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 7, 2022

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I haven't played Star Ruler 2 in years, at this point all I really remember about it is 1) having a good time by 2) shooting planets / entire star systems at other star systems.

I'd say it's worth it for that alone.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Are you saying there is updated Master of Orion 2? I only see the old Master of Orion remake which is a pretty bad game since it decided to use star-lanes for the galaxy topology which makes the end-game a huge slog. Literally a minimum of 6 turns to traverse between two systems.

Old School MoO2 is good and the fan-patch 1.51 is very good if you are looking for a challenge.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Are you saying there is updated Master of Orion 2? I only see the old Master of Orion remake which is a pretty bad game since it decided to use star-lanes for the galaxy topology which makes the end-game a huge slog. Literally a minimum of 6 turns to traverse between two systems.

The game features a win condition which seems explicitly made to avoid end-game slogs, though. If starlanes offend in general, I get that, it's certainly different than MoO2.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

The game features a win condition which seems explicitly made to avoid end-game slogs, though. If starlanes offend in general, I get that, it's certainly different than MoO2.

MoO has always had multiple win conditions The Galactic Senate, Conquering all or killing the Antarans in MoO2. But It's also always had late game techs that make the conquest victory lap easier and fun. The new MoO doesn't have the ability to make the end game a fun victory lap instead of a slog. Also the planet management mechanics are very uninspired and the race customization sucks. MoO2 has much better custom race options.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

MoO has always had multiple win conditions The Galactic Senate, Conquering all or killing the Antarans in MoO2. But It's also always had late game techs that make the conquest victory lap easier and fun. The new MoO doesn't have the ability to make the end game a fun victory lap instead of a slog. Also the planet management mechanics are very uninspired and the race customization sucks. MoO2 has much better custom race options.

I meant the 'points' victory condition in MoO 2016. If you absolutely, positively want to stellar convert every planet not your own, then yeah, that takes awhile, but murdering everyone in MoO2 is also an endeavour on the larger galaxy settings.

The races in MoO 2016 are less separated than in MoO2, I'll give you that, and I haven't even bothered to fiddle with the race customizer largely due to this. The Meklar are just unbalanced in MoO 2016, and I'm not interested in trying to make a Meklar 2.0 because :shrug: But conversely, the MoO2 race customizer incentivizes the kind of degenerate min-maxing that, while sometimes hilarious, does bad things to game balance. At least MoO2 isn't MoM!

What do you find disappointing about MoO 2016 planetary management? It's a fairly faithful carbon copy from MoO2, you move the little dudes around and you have a build queue with mostly even the same buildings as MoO2 had. I guess the 'planetary governors' are not as useful (read: mostly useless) in MoO 2016.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think the biggest issue with 2016 MoO planetary management is the way pollution works. It's a chore rather then just a malus. In MoO2 if you want to put all your population on industry, you are welcome to do that, you'll just get a diminsion return (pollution) for each additional pop unit. In 2016, you get diminishing returns per pop unit, but also if you do too much industry you start de-terraforming the planet. So now you have to check every planet, every turn to make sure that you didn't grow a pop unit and then that pop unit started producing too-much pollution so that the planet will turn into a toxic wasteland.

Additionally most of the buildings give flat bonus's rather then per population point and you are limited in how many workers you can have allocated to production based on planet size. The pollution plus the limited number of pop units you can allocate to industry discourages specialization and so now all of your planets are farming+industry+science planets and they all feel the same. Sure in MoO2 you can make every single planet identical, but instead of having 3 planets each with 4 pop in food+industry+science you would have 1 planet with 12 pop in industry (maybe made up of android workers or captured Klackons), 1 planet with 12 pop in Science, and 1 planet with 12pop in food + natives feeding the majority of your empire. It felt a lot better.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, pollution in 2016 forces your hand to bee-line a specific tech, which isn't very interesting. And making specialized planets is harder, but it doesn't seem to matter, since the main game-play loop therefore revolves around maxing population count above all else. Which is a part of the sameyness of the races, everyone has the same long-term and shorter-term goals. MoO2, once you get rolling, is definitely designed around specialization, which also makes for a much more clear tier-list of the races.

I would say in general that pretty much every down-grade in MoO 2016 is that they made some things into chores. The spying system is horrible.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

After playing Shadow Empire and Distant Worlds I can't stand most 4X any more. They make the same mistakes over and over again, and maybe it's this focus on MoO2 or Civ that causes it.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 7, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pretty telling that no one's mentioned Galactic Civilizations III

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

After playing Shadow Empire and Distant Worlds I can't stand most 4X any more. They all make the same mistakes over and over again, and maybe it's this focus on MoO2 or Civ that causes it.

That's pretty much exactly it. Every space 4x has to have tile based planet management and a ship designer because MoO2 did so you end up with what's basically the same game released 20 times under a different name

it applies to everything else about the game too because it ends up with the same generic spaaaaaace soundtrack and identical we're definitely not ripping off startrek races

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

After playing Shadow Empire and Distant Worlds I can't stand most 4X any more. They make the same mistakes over and over again, and maybe it's this focus on MoO2 or Civ that causes it.

You can add Old World to the list of Shadow Empire and Distant Worlds imo.

loving Colonization was a more original game than the vast majority of 4X games. Everyone just does the same poo poo over and over again.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Orange Devil posted:

You can add Old World to the list of Shadow Empire and Distant Worlds imo.

loving Colonization was a more original game than the vast majority of 4X games. Everyone just does the same poo poo over and over again.

Also the Age of Wonders series, although I’d argue they’re a hybrid 4x/tactical strategy and not “pure” 4x. But yeah, this eternal obsession with remaking MoO and Civ is terrible for the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Agean90 posted:

That's pretty much exactly it. Every space 4x has to have tile based planet management and a ship designer because MoO2 did so you end up with what's basically the same game released 20 times under a different name

it applies to everything else about the game too because it ends up with the same generic spaaaaaace soundtrack and identical we're definitely not ripping off startrek races

Karl Marx posted:

Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living. And just as they seem to be occupied with revolutionizing themselves and things, creating something that did not exist before, precisely in such epochs of revolutionary crisis they anxiously conjure up the spirits of the past to their service, borrowing from them names, battle slogans, and costumes in order to present this new scene in world history in time-honored disguise and borrowed language. Thus Luther put on the mask of the Apostle Paul, the Revolution of 1789-1814 draped itself alternately in the guise of the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire, and the Revolution of 1848 knew nothing better to do than to parody, now 1789, now the revolutionary tradition of 1793-95. In like manner, the beginner who has learned a new language always translates it back into his mother tongue, but he assimilates the spirit of the new language and expresses himself freely in it only when he moves in it without recalling the old and when he forgets his native tongue.

He can't keep getting away with it!
But seriously though it's probably time to rethink the entire genre or more likely throw out most of it's conventions.