Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm looking for games with desert aesthetics. Ideally "desert where people live" rather than "barren planet". Can potentially be any genre provided it's chill and looks pretty. Please nothing too resource-intensive for my lovely laptop.

Games I've enjoyed:
- Alto's Adventure 1+2
- Donut County
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Heaven's Vault
- Pharaoh / Cleopatra
- Sable

- I like Kenshi but I don't think it looks particularly good
- My Time at Sandrock isn't clicking for me visually
- I'll get Journey eventually

Technomancer, for populated Mars desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know if this is exactly the thread for it, but it's worth a try anyway:

I'm looking for a game from maybe the 90s or early 2000s, which is sort-of like Scorched Earth in that you have tanks that shoot other tanks, but instead of being 2D it's using an 3D isometric camera view that can be moved all around the map that also exists in 3D space.
It's very possible it was an RTS game, but I'm not completely sure about that.

Does anyone have a clue what it could be?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scorched3d?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm looking for a game from maybe the 90s or early 2000s, which is sort-of like Scorched Earth in that you have tanks that shoot other tanks, but instead of being 2D it's using an 3D isometric camera view that can be moved all around the map that also exists in 3D space.

If you don't get the answer here, this is the thread to try:
Help us remember the name of a game!!!! Or perish!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why'd it have to be that simple?! :mad:

StoryTime posted:

If you don't get the answer here, this is the thread to try:
Help us remember the name of a game!!!! Or perish!!
And I'm apparently not just stupid, but also blind since I didn't see this thread. :sigh:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Why'd it have to be that simple?! :mad:

And I'm apparently not just stupid, but also blind since I didn't see this thread. :sigh:

You're good, don't stress it.

This is a thread for suggestions based on criteria. Like "I'm looking for a a turn based rpg with a modern or future setting that can run on a lovely laptop while I'm on a work trip" or whatever.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Some friends and I are having a LAN weekend coming up where there will be much alcohol involved and we're looking for game suggestions. We've found that competitive games aren't great for our group since the different skill levels lead to different people disengaging. In general we're looking for:
  • Co-op
  • Progression mechanics
  • 5 players
  • PC or couch co-op PS4/5
  • Something we could finish or get close to finishing in 3 days of roughly continuous play
  • Base building (not required)
  • Bonus points for decent drinking rule opportunities

Survival games fit the bill in general, but there aren't any obvious options sticking out to us at the moment. Things we've enjoyed in the past:
  • Overcooked and Overcooked 2
  • Valheim
  • V Rising

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Terraria?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Blast Doors by Freds Friends?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bognar posted:

Some friends and I are having a LAN weekend coming up where there will be much alcohol involved and we're looking for game suggestions. We've found that competitive games aren't great for our group since the different skill levels lead to different people disengaging. In general we're looking for:
  • Co-op
  • Progression mechanics
  • 5 players
  • Something we could finish or get close to finishing in 3 days of roughly continuous play

Survival games fit the bill in general, but there aren't any obvious options sticking out to us at the moment. Things we've enjoyed in the past:
  • Valheim
  • V Rising

Yeah, Terraria is still solid, gets silly real quick with friends. It's old, but Payday was pretty good for this too.

The ideal option is Deep Rock Galactic (it even has a bar and a drinking game!) but I think it's limited to 4 player groups.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Something like the Fortnite coop PVE mode?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Thanks for the recommendations. Has anyone played The Forest or have opinions on how that matches up with the criteria?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/The_Forest/

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
The Forest is a gloriously fun janky mess but not sure how many players it supports

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Rocket League can support 6 players in a match and can fill with bots

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Rocket League can support 6 players in a match and can fill with bots

This would be my suggestion, with the caveat that it's heavily skill-based so if anyone has experience with it it probably won't be fun for the others. That said, if everyone is similarly inept, it is a ton of fun to flail around and occasionally accidentally get the ball in the goal. It has good "get drunk and yell a lot" energy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's also free now!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bognar posted:

• Co-op
  • Progression mechanics
  • 5 players

• Valheim
  • V Rising
In the Games I Haven't Played With Lots Of People But Want To categories: Barotrauma and Pulsar: Lost Colony. PLC is pricier but is explicitly 1 to 5 players.

At 5 players you could also give 3 v 2 Planetary Annihalation a go. Put the two best on one team, it cannot be overstated how much of an edge just having three sets of eyes vs two can give you in that game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Satisfactory

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There's also any number of 4x games like Civ or Stellaris, but those tend to move alot slower.

7 Days To Die is zombie apocalypse minecraft.

Don't Starve Together.

Diablo or PoE or Grim Dawn

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 6, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bognar posted:

• Co-op
  • Progression mechanics
  • 5 players

• Valheim
  • V Rising

In the spirit of Overcooked, there's Unrailed and Out Of Space. Unrailed is actually more of a Roguelike.

Out of the spirit of Overcooked, there's Viscera Cleanup Detail and Astroneer (which is sort of survival crafting without as much of the survival aspect).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The latest Zachtronics game has a puzzle minigame, that I really enjoyed, where you meld flesh to create specimens.

I really like it's theme. Is there any other game with the gameplay (so, NOT a Visual Novel) of creating body horror poo poo?

EDIT: I'll give the comedy answer of Impossible Creatures 2 right away, but I was thinking of something that does body horror purposefully.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dunno about creating per se, but two games that come to mind are Nongunz and Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

ninjewtsu posted:

Satisfactory

Satisfactory was actually our original plan, but we scrapped it because a couple people want a macguffin and building a factory for factory's sake doesn't appeal to them.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There's also any number of 4x games like Civ or Stellaris, but those tend to move alot slower.

7 Days To Die is zombie apocalypse minecraft.

Don't Starve Together.

Diablo or PoE or Grim Dawn

7 Days To Die is in the running, we hadn't considered Don't Starve Together so I'll mention it.

Splicer posted:

In the Games I Haven't Played With Lots Of People But Want To categories: Barotrauma and Pulsar: Lost Colony. PLC is pricier but is explicitly 1 to 5 players.

At 5 players you could also give 3 v 2 Planetary Annihalation a go. Put the two best on one team, it cannot be overstated how much of an edge just having three sets of eyes vs two can give you in that game.

I skimmed a couple videos of Pulsar: Lost Colony and it seems like there's a lot of downtime - it was hard to get a good feel for what the inner loop is supposed to be. Anyone have good video examples for this?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kinda a wild card answer but I love playing multiplayer CK3 with friends, especially when you go in with the attitude things are going to get weird and disastrous and take joy in that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

The latest Zachtronics game has a puzzle minigame, that I really enjoyed, where you meld flesh to create specimens.

I really like it's theme. Is there any other game with the gameplay (so, NOT a Visual Novel) of creating body horror poo poo?

EDIT: I'll give the comedy answer of Impossible Creatures 2 right away, but I was thinking of something that does body horror purposefully.
I think some of the Warhammer games let you do this with mutations and stuff, Total Warhammer 3 definitely has a faction that lets you create your own horrible Cronenberg man

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Looking for a game kind of like Freelancer on iOS.

Have played startrader frontiers, and definitely not looking for a turn based thing like that.

Played galaxy on fire (2) and that was fun/close, but too bare bones.

Any other recommendations?

E: offline pls!

tildes fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 7, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Bognar posted:

• Co-op
  • Progression mechanics
  • 5 players

• Valheim
  • V Rising

Project Zomboid would be great for this. But give it a try first - it’s a bit crunchier than some of the survival games you’ve listed. (E: or 7DtD Tho it hasn’t clicked for me as much)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is filling the space elevator not macguffin enough?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Bognar posted:

• Co-op
  • Progression mechanics
  • 5 players

• Valheim
  • V Rising

You might have already given it a shot but The Forest is entirely beatable in a few days with a big group if you all stay focused and don't get caught up in building a Roman fort or something.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Old and really weird: Vangers.
New and really weird: Cruelty Squad

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It's less "body horror" and more "bloodthirsty cellular microscopic beasts" but Sipho is a roguelite based around the concept:
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256732132/movie480.webm?t=1539531906

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 7, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Old and really weird: Vangers.
New and really weird: Cruelty Squad

Also new and weird: Wrought Flesh (it's short though)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jack Trades posted:

Bugsnax :buddy:

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Splicer posted:

My favourite thing about original X-Com was how you'd start out as a bunch of guys shooting bullets and flying a jet and by grabbing as much alien stuff as possible you'd progress to a bunch of power armoured jetpackers in a human-built UFO/Jet hybrid packed full of handheld nukes.

Are there any other games that give a similar feeling of epoch-crossing progression? Any genre, stargate the 4x/fps rpg/management sim/flight simulator all equally welcome as long as there's an extremely tangible feeling of really leveraging the weird tech I didn't have at the beginning if the game.

e: though I'm looking to do the tech progress myself if that makes sense? Being handed a UFO because it's the UFO part of the story isn't the same.

Terraria is very much like this. You start as a character with a puny bronze shortsword that can run slowly and jump; by the end of the game you're decked out with a minigun made out of a shark that shoots homing bullets, a sword that shoots other swords, you're immune to all status effects, can teleport at will, you have wings and can fly, all kinds of stuff that really changes how the game plays. It's probably my favorite progression curve in any game ever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hey folks, I'm trying to do some market research to find streamers who might be interested in my game. The thing I'm running into is that most all of the military-themed build-your-own-vehicle games (e.g. Sprocket, Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought) tend towards realism far more than Waves of Steel does. Also I know there's a reasonably sizable custom-mech-based gaming community out there, but I know basically nothing about it.

So basically what I'm looking for is recommendations for games that a) have extensive character customization, and b) aren't seriously attached to realism, either by being goofy or sci-fi or otherwise detached from realistic modern warfare. Ideally these games would also have enough market presence that people stream them regularly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'd say two groups to potentially reach out to are EDF fans and Ace Combat fans, but neither game is quite on the same wavelength nor are they huge stream draws. You might be better served by scoping out variety streamers who will play anything sufficiently novel.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
You might find small overlap with The Raft, Sea of Thieves and Kerbal Space Program.

Or find someone who loved Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Love your game, by the way, and could definitely see it on something like Game It Out or a stream where a group of friends challenge each other with the dumbest builds imaginable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey folks, I'm trying to do some market research to find streamers who might be interested in my game. The thing I'm running into is that most all of the military-themed build-your-own-vehicle games (e.g. Sprocket, Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought) tend towards realism far more than Waves of Steel does. Also I know there's a reasonably sizable custom-mech-based gaming community out there, but I know basically nothing about it.

So basically what I'm looking for is recommendations for games that a) have extensive character customization, and b) aren't seriously attached to realism, either by being goofy or sci-fi or otherwise detached from realistic modern warfare. Ideally these games would also have enough market presence that people stream them regularly.

Add a mode where you get to pick one of four parts to add to your ship after every wave and you’ll grab massive streamers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know some that can get pretty goofy like Kerbal Space Program and Besiege and Space Engineers. Although with those I think part of how they have appeal after being around for a while is that there are some big physics-sim nerds that often look past the jokey side of things. There's a lot of other streamers that enjoy chaotic physics, but they often don't stick with just one game for too long. But then, a lot of streamers tend to stick with games with more potential for original content, which is why sandboxes and online multiplayer tend to dominate that space.

On the wacky alt-hist side of things, I think Luftrausers is the only thing in that vein that I really noticed cresting much into mainstream popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

From the Depths! Ship building is much more fiddly, but in general seems like a very similar one in terms of arcadey/whacky combat. Has some YouTubers into it as well.