Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tbp posted:

Is the webcomic allowed to be discussed itt? I think I've finally hit a point where I'm kinda disappointed in the manga and it's largely because I'm comparing it to the webcomic, which might not be entirely fair, but I suppose I can't really help how I feel.

Kild posted:

It's mostly been kept to the webcomic thread

Yeah just post about it in the Webcomic thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559267

There is no reason to talk about the Webcomic in this thread since plenty of people here haven't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Kild posted:

It's mostly been kept to the webcomic thread

Oh, thanks, I didn't realize there was one. I shall leave yall be!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

Is the webcomic allowed to be discussed itt? I think I've finally hit a point where I'm kinda disappointed in the manga and it's largely because I'm comparing it to the webcomic, which might not be entirely fair, but I suppose I can't really help how I feel.

We have a webcomic thread linked in the OP

Edit drat im slow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mixed up the threads! :doh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the portal gag was :discourse:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
This thread will need to remind me not to bother trying to ever predict what's going to happen next in the manga. I was certain Psyroochi slicing the piece of Earth was the perfect set up to what actually ended up happening in this chapter...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/nebu_kuro/status/1544819500004294657?s=21&t=6OfgdxiinYP6ylKc_6A94g

Apparently the manga might be ending soon

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was gonna make a joke about One Punch Man when it remembers to be a comedy

, but whoops, they beat me to it. This was a funny fight. Also I was right and wrong about different parts of this.

RareAcumen posted:

Prediction: Saitama's gonna get punched but Garou won't. Saitama could never think to dodge an attack, but Garou is a martial artist.

RareAcumen posted:

If we hadn't already had 5 Phoenixman redraws I would wonder how Saitama would handle fighting someone with power over portals but now I'm not worried at all.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Also, It's a pretty subtle, but sweet and heartfelt moment when Saitama shows concern for Genos's core being lost, and that's why he needs to hold on to it tightly...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very rough machine translation:

Akihito Tsukushi posted:

Saitama's serious battle begins with the color of "a feeling of a last boss that can never be won", and I'm really excited about it ...! What is this messed up battle that is too easy to understand ...! Also, if someone like George-sensei tells me a completely unusual cartoonist, I'm glad ...☺️

Yusuke Murata posted:

Thank you for visiting Dr. Morikawa and Dr. Tsukushi! Excuse me, I'm sorry, 🙏✨this series is also before the final focus, but I will do my best with ONE teacher! Congratulations to Tsukushi-sensei for the start of the second season of Made in Abyss! I will check it on Amazon today!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Specifically he says "the end of the series is in sight/close at hand."

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
to be honest I figured the comic was gonna end as soon as I saw that the punch at the end of this chapter actually made Saitama bleed

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That page of Saitama standing in front of the Great Red Spot got me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

to be honest I figured the comic was gonna end as soon as I saw that the punch at the end of this chapter actually made Saitama bleed

Nah, that's just how Murata does impacts

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m sad to hear that the manga is ending soon. I wonder why they’re ending the manga when there’s so much webcomic still. Maybe they think it’s ultimately just too different?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I assume it's because someone with money (a publisher?) is pushing one or both of them to pursue a new project.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Quoting this from a Japanese reader.

quote:

oh yeah japanese fanbase is chilling rn no mention whatsoever about series ending only western side that assblasted for no reason right now or ONE himself addressing on his Twitter he always announce super important stuff like Volume release and yet here we are no series ending announcement. Its smurf spreading misinformation again why he getting away doing this scoot free? poo poo actually stupid

Japanese reader here. I've literally never heard any manga artist use シリーズ (direct translation: "series") to mean "serialization/publication." Never. And I've been reading manga since I was a kid decades ago.

Artists would use 連載 (rensai = serialization) when talking about the series. And use different variations depending on the context like 完結 (Kanketsu = complete work/to finish the current work), 休載 (kyuusai = break), 打ち切り (uchikiri = axed) etc.

"Series" in the context of English is not the same in Japanese. It's more akin to an "arc" in this context.

Edit: this is why it's not being talked about in Japan because people are thinking the end is near for the current Garou arc rather than the whole series.

someone on reddit addressing that. I swear i always questioning about opm fanbase intelligence why they actually fall for this deception

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i choose to believe that murata is lying and this series will never end

edit: sweet vindication! rejecting views of reality you find unpleasant works!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey look at that, Japanese people use slang too, who would've thought?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Everything that’s been going on with this arc makes so much sense if it’s being planned to be the last arc. I was wondering how they would continue the manga after all this insane escalation and revealing plot mysteries like Blast. But if it’s the last arc it makes so much sense to just go crazy and have fun and take everything as far as you can. I feel that makes this arc a really enjoyable and fitting end to the manga.

Or if it’s not ending, i’m excited to find out just where the hell this is all going. The next arc in the webcomic I have trouble seeing how it would translate to the webcomic with where it is now.

I guess im excited either way!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 7, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hey look at that, Japanese people use slang too, who would've thought?

less "Japanese people use slang" and more "English loanwords in Japanese language usually have a different meaning from the original one".

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Perhaps English speakers shouldn’t rely on machine translation. I guess I might need to learn Japanese after all

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the word "series" doesn't even mean the same thing between the USA and Britain

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

That page of Saitama standing in front of the Great Red Spot got me.

That was gorgeous and perfect use of a color page.

This fight scratched my Mashle itch. Just someone, impossibly strong breaking all the logic and physics rules as someone else struggles to keep up. I love all the gags.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Perhaps English speakers shouldn’t rely on machine translation. I guess I might need to learn Japanese after all

Just as a warning from someone studying, it's a lot of work. Three sets of characters to memorize, completely different grammar structure, more limited variety of sounds so that you have to judge more from context, and that's just the start.

It's probably the most difficult language to learn for a primary English speaker.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

All the major feats so far, like jumping from the moon, splitting the sky etc, have been physically possible, but the blowing away stars bit is fun to think about because it's so absurd. Most of those stars are billions of light years away, and the light from them will be from billions of years ago, all the way back to near the birth of the universe. Any shockwave created by the fight would take billions of years to reach the stars, and even if the shockwave did break the speed of light and destroy all those stars instantly, you would still see the stars for another few billion years. So what happened? The only reasonable explanation is that the shockwave is disrupting the photons (light waves) coming from that direction. I can see three physically plausible scenarios:

- The shockwave has so much energy density that it becomes a solid mass/plasma, blocking all photons on the way.
- The shockwave contains so much mass moving so close to the speed of light that it forms a gravitational ripple, which also induces time dilation effects, resulting in the photons being red-shifted to invisible frequencies.
- The shockwave contains so much energy that it forms a black hole moving rapidly in that direction. But, this should cause light bending and lensing effects, so I think this one doesn't really fit.

Also, Saitama and Garou must have travelled to Jupiter's moon at near the speed of light, otherwise it would have taken days and they would have suffocated by now. They would also need to jump back at near light speed for the same reason.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 7, 2022

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bisse posted:

All the major feats so far, like jumping from the moon, splitting the sky etc, have been physically possible, but the blowing away stars bit is fun to think about because it's so absurd. Most of those stars are billions of light years away, and the light from them will be from billions of years ago, all the way back to near the birth of the universe. Any shockwave created by the fight would take billions of years to reach the stars, and even if the shockwave did break the speed of light and destroy all those stars instantly, you would still see the stars for another few billion years. So what happened? The only reasonable explanation is that the shockwave is disrupting the photons (light waves) coming from that direction. I can see three physically plausible scenarios:

- The shockwave has so much energy density that it becomes a solid mass/plasma, blocking all photons on the way.
- The shockwave contains so much mass moving so close to the speed of light that it forms a gravitational ripple, which also induces time dilation effects, resulting in the photons being red-shifted to invisible frequencies.
- The shockwave contains so much energy that it forms a black hole moving rapidly in that direction. But, this should cause light bending and lensing effects, so I think this one doesn't really fit.

Also, Saitama and Garou must have travelled to Jupiter's moon at near the speed of light, otherwise it would have taken days and they would have suffocated by now. They would also need to jump back at near light speed for the same reason.

Lol at someone thinking that Saitama can’t punch light and the stars/ galaxies that made them.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Saitama just kicked a portal away

He has previously punched into thought-dimensions

He is so powerful he quite literally breaks all known rules

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I could see Murata stopping the redraw soon and maybe coming back someday to finish up the webcomic content. The webcomic is in the middle of a different arc, so maybe they're worried about catching up and needing to pull a Full Metal Alchemist/Game of Thrones?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

maybe they're worried about catching up and needing to pull a Full Metal Alchemist/Game of Thrones?

They already are

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Bisse posted:

They didn't do that.

That's the dark side of the moon, hanging above the Earth, no longer illuminated as in the previous page by the light from their clashing.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 7, 2022

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is the skeleton in the moon the god guy?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jupiter's moon can be explained via the portals, They punched so hard the hyperspace portals broke down in the randomized blast they ended up on Io

Why Io? I dunno, Blast likes to stare at the red spot or something

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I do have to say feels weird how Garou learned portals. I can get all the other stuff, because he was actively hit by them. But how does he learn portals?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Darth TNT posted:

I do have to say feels weird how Garou learned portals. I can get all the other stuff, because he was actively hit by them. But how does he learn portals?

Blast uses portal punches, Like he is literally channeling hyperspace energy into each of his punches

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah he probably figured out what Blast was doing, and with his new God Powers he managed to copy it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So did Blast job?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Gologle posted:

So did Blast job?

Not really? His entire focus was trying to prevent collateral damage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Not really? His entire focus was trying to prevent collateral damage.

He didn't win the fight immediately and according to this thread, that's jobbing. Flashy Flash fighting Gale Wind and Hellfire Flame, Child Emporer vs Phoenixman, Zombieman vs Vampire, Iaian, Bushidrill and Okamaitachi vs Devil Long Hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Saitama gettin cheeky

The color pages are gorgeous and perfectly placed (as usual).

Blast is faster than G-baby and S-daddy.

...or they both subconsciously held back to give him enough time to contain their... uh... blast. (cuz as we know G is just a good boy who is confused)