Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Steel Battalion... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AOKZOE apparently already getting their poo poo together and putting review units out. I didn't realise they were a sub-brand of 1xplayer so that makes sense. At least we now see how the 6800U handles in an actual handheld, though I'm not convinced that running these handhelds at max wattage is that viable given how much that'll drain the battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcfy6DaY5W8

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The_White_Crane posted:

Steel Battalion... :sigh:
That game doesn't work well without its controller though IIRC.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So months ago I bought a raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, specifically the CM4004000

I cannot for the life of me remember why. It only just arrived from China.

I assume it was for some retro handheld project, but I don't know.

Any fun ideas for what to do with it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

That game doesn't work well without its controller though IIRC.

I played it and the controller is the experience. Without that thing its just a forgettable mech game.

njsykora posted:

There's a small handful of great Xbox exclusives that have never gotten away, JSRF, Gun Valkyrie (admittedly stretching the definition of great), the Rallisport Challenge games and the early Forza games. It is still a small batch though, and Xemu is a bit picky about what disc images it'll accept.

Gun Valkyrie is available in 4k 60fps on Series consoles, now. Im being really honest here with basically the only good game thats not back compatible (and won't be due to japanese music rights) is JSRF.

Theres a few other mediocre exclusives like Deathrow, that Chinese Sci-Fi fantady hybrid game I always forget the name of, bloodwake but just not enough to justify.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

This is what I’m saying. I have a hunch that (Nintendo aside**) we’re seeing the end of every system getting a good emulator. It’ll probably be:

PS2 and below: great emulators lots of support and availability
PS3 and above: proof of concept emulators, real emulation sickos and no real support and limited library of working games

**Nintendo has enough exclusives that everyone likes that I bet Nintendo emulation will continue trucking right along.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The push on Nintendo stuff is best exemplified by the fact that there's an emulator with pretty high compatibility for their actual current console.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I could see PS3 getting good emulation cause there are quite a lot of unique to the console games and the only way to get them through Sony is streaming. PS4 and higher is unlikely due to back compatibility likely being maintained.

Xbox does have a pile of unique games but they're all Kinect titles, so you know, little demand there and with Microsoft's back compatability solution already being software and offering upscaled graphics and resolution* you have to work your rear end off for the scant few titles that aren't available stretching back to the original xbox while also knowing, nearly assuredly, the nextbox will also be able to emulate all those games. Honestly the best defense against emulation effort is just making the games people want readily available in good qualityy.

I guess extra amusingly the current Xbox is a pretty dang good emulator and microsoft doesn't really care if you use it that way.

*and effectively save states even in current gen games so next gen I'd expect that to be something they could plop in with another hardware jump

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 3, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm sure when PS6 or PS7 rolls around, Sony will stop supporting backwards compat with PS4, and then emulation will pick up. I doubt we'll get PS4 emulation soon, but I think it's pretty short-sighted to claim we've reached the end of emulation lol. Companies don't care about preservation, as soon as old console games stop being profitable to maintain they'll be dropped like a bag of bricks, and it'll be up to fans to keep them accessible via emulation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

beep-beep car is go posted:

This is what I’m saying. I have a hunch that (Nintendo aside**) we’re seeing the end of every system getting a good emulator. It’ll probably be:

PS2 and below: great emulators lots of support and availability
PS3 and above: proof of concept emulators, real emulation sickos and no real support and limited library of working games

**Nintendo has enough exclusives that everyone likes that I bet Nintendo emulation will continue trucking right along.

I mean PS3 actually has pretty decent emulation(if you have a decently strong device) as does Wii-U and even Switch, it's only the Xbox family that currently is lacking in emulation support

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, Xenia and Xemu/cxbx-reloaded have made more progress in the last few years than N64 has in a long rear end time. You can play Phantom Crash without it, uh, crashing constantly like it does if you try and play it on 360, so it was all worth it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dunno, then you're playing Phantom Crash and I tried super hard to love that game when I blind bought decades ago. I kid, that is the sort of game emulating is needed for.

The original Xbox had a lot of weirdly experimental and bad games on it that I played lots of. Deathrow 4 Ever

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Phantom Crash owns.

Anyway there's a rumour going around that the Miyoo Mini might be discontinued very soon because they can't source the screens for it in favour of a horizontal version with a slightly bigger screen. I have my doubts about how genuine the photo is, mostly because jesus christ stop putting out handhelds with only one analog stick for the love of god. It also doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to make a horizontal mini when they're supposed to be putting out an actual horizontal system in the P60 at some point.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1544017794601168896

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Tell me a game that the Miyoo mini can run at 100% that uses two sticks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d be cooler with it having no sticks if it still doesn’t do 64 well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ape Escape

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

A couple PS1 games needed the analog controller and a decent handful more didn't require it but still managed to make fair use of the right stick.

But yeah, most PS1 games treated the analog controller as having a more-precise alternative to the d-pad and another stick for decoration because games still had to maintain compatibility with the original controller and that was the easiest way to do it. Dual analog didn't take off in any meaningful capacity until the PS2 launched, so I have no idea why an emulation-oriented handheld that tops out before then would bother with a second stick. I suppose ports of Doom will always be made and the second stick could be used for that, but come on, nobody is actually playing Doom on these.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 5, 2022

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Most of my library is playable single-stick, but that second right stick is a godsend for the c buttons of N64 emulation, in my books.

If the Miyoo rumour is true, maybe the horizontal form factor might result in some better shoulder buttons.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

njsykora posted:

Anyway there's a rumour going around that the Miyoo Mini might be discontinued very soon because they can't source the screens for it in favour of a horizontal version with a slightly bigger screen. I have my doubts about how genuine the photo is, mostly because jesus christ stop putting out handhelds with only one analog stick for the love of god. It also doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to make a horizontal mini when they're supposed to be putting out an actual horizontal system in the P60 at some point.

If anything this just makes me tempted to pick up a spare Mini to keep in case mine ever dies. Zero interest in that new form factor but the current Mini is one of my faves. Maybe that’s part of their plan…

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

njsykora posted:

If they change basically nothing except for making the Miyoo more comfortable to hold, I'm buying day one. The Miyoo Mini is such an excellent pick up and play experience with Onion OS, my hands just cant deal with it for more than 30 minutes at a time.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Make a gba shaped miyoo mini cowards

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Powkiddy has the gba form factor(s) on lock so nobody else is going to bother

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Sorry about the impending doom of the Miyoo Mini, everyone. I was thinking of getting one after the summer, so obviously I've doomed it with my first foray into retro consoles.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I want them to release the P60

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

freelop posted:

I want them to release the P60

Me too! Even though I have the mini…I am such a sucker.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GPD appears to have closed all its official online storefronts and its indiegogo account, so that's interesting

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

GPD appears to have closed all its official online storefronts and its indiegogo account, so that's interesting
GPD Loss

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Which one is gpd again?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

That is very interesting because they were like the first to make these portable windows gaming machines.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Didn't they only just open preorders for the Win2?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Didn't they only just open preorders for the Win2?

Yeah and they just shipped the new win max that got great reviews.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

otter posted:

Which one is gpd again?

The one that usually used Windows as opposed to Linux / Android, and had one system that looked like a bigger OpenPandora (if you remember that one):

Jesus, I haven't thought about the Pandora in years. Mine's been in a closet for... a while. At least I removed the battery. Gotta check if it's still turning on fine.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not seeing it offline? I'm on my phone if that makes any difference. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-max-2-handheld-gaming-pc-4g-lte-amd-6800u#/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gpd.hk works just fine here, as does the IGG link

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Photex posted:

Anyone interested in a 351p before I post it on SA-Mart? thinking $80 shipped with no SD card but with the wireless dongle

Let me know!

Received. Loving it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

otter posted:

Received. Loving it.

Great! It got there a couple days early too for you to enjoy over the weekend

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Indeed. Now, has anyone found a good tempered glass screen protector for the 351?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

Indeed. Now, has anyone found a good tempered glass screen protector for the 351?

For me personally, it’s not expensive enough to warrant that. By the time you damage it, it’s likely that another better device will be out for like 2x the price of the screen protector.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If you find a listing on Amazon for the official case, it usually comes with a glass screen protector. Like this one for example:

Carrying Case Screen Protector Sets for RG351MP /RG351M /RG351P /RG350M /RG350P Handheld Retro Game Console https://a.co/d/fFQvbMN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you find a listing on Amazon for the official case, it usually comes with a glass screen protector. Like this one for example:

Carrying Case Screen Protector Sets for RG351MP /RG351M /RG351P /RG350M /RG350P Handheld Retro Game Console https://a.co/d/fFQvbMN

Anbernic also sells it on its own on their Ali Express store