Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

it's absolutely incumbent on a cyclist riding through a shared space with pedestrians to yield to them and generally try to give as much space and move as slowly as is needed to ensure the safety and comfort of all involved

but if a cyclist hits a goon who then comes to the anti-car thread to whine about it, this is completely and totally fine. retroactively justified. not a problem at all, and honestly mostly a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's absolutely incumbent on a cyclist riding through a shared space with pedestrians to yield to them and generally try to give as much space and move as slowly as is needed to ensure the safety and comfort of all involved

but if a cyclist hits a goon who then comes to the anti-car thread to whine about it, this is completely and totally fine. retroactively justified. not a problem at all, and honestly mostly a good thing

agreed

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

the only thing carbrains hate more than driving is trying to make them less reliant on driving

sort of related to how suburbanites hate cars so much they couldn't stand to live where there are too many of them and design their streets to avoid any of them going through near where they live

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Meh. The Ruins of Detroit are just an example of capitalists disposable society. The fact that detroit, one of the most car-brained cities in the US outside of LA is turning some of their ruins into parking garages isn't really remarkable. Plus while Detroit has some period buildings, if you care about that architecture just check out Chicago for many better examples most that are still used for their original purpose, and also somewhat less sprawling somehow.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
austin powers fat bastard style goon waddling down the street qqing that a cyclist hit him while he engulfed the entire sidewalk and also overflowed into the parking lane, breaking mirrors and setting off car alarms with every thunderous step

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
A "city driving mode" with speed gov and automatic braking and all that would be neat if it came with a big rear end tax rebate, but cold dead hands and all that on basic rear end analog driving out here in the empty spaces that are most of the USA.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

someusername posted:

A "city driving mode" with speed gov and automatic braking and all that would be neat if it came with a big rear end tax rebate, but cold dead hands and all that on basic rear end analog driving out here in the empty spaces that are most of the USA.

Techno-fetish Lib poo poo. Just ban cars from all incorporated cities of size >10000

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

updated best practices for city traffic management : stephen_king-dolans_cadillac.epub

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
look a fat goon waddling down the sidewalk and getting hit by a bicycle is pretty much the same thing as a car driving half the speed limit! prove me wrong.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Techno-fetish Lib poo poo. Just ban cars from all incorporated cities of size >10000

Banning cars is the best idea.

I like the idea of introducing permeable Barrie's onto city streets. So the street becomes a cult de sac to block cars, but you can walk and bike through the barrier no problem. How cheap is it to slap down some bollards and planters in the middle of the street? Didn't some American city already do this?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, I don't think I would have an issue with "glorified golf carts" be the standard transportation for people in local areas and cars only reserved for longer-distance trips (not to mention everything else). There are plenty of solutions out there, it is just the US will always be there to stop them.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Talking to a guy about this newly built neighborhood and he complained about the inadequate parking. His truck is too big for his garage, so he tried parking on the street in front of his house. His home is on a 3 way intersection, so he receives parking tickets and moans that he has to park his truck down the street.

Just loving lol. He has a 2 car garage in a 400k home, but refuses to downsize his truck.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he has a two car garage, can he not just park in his driveway?

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I once was caught by a red-light camera and I went blind from the flash for a moment. Luckily I was able to get out of the ticket, guess how?

I was on my bike so they couldn't trace me. Car owners hate this weird trick

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The idea of speed governors is about as old as cars themselves. People were advocating for that technology around the time of massive social/political change like prohibition and women's suffrage. If they couldn't do it then, I doubt we have much hope of it now.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

he has a two car garage, can he not just park in his driveway?

Nope. Houses there don't have a driveway. Garage ends directly into an alley.

I don't know about cars with speed governors, but there are plenty of cars in the US with remote shut offs. Auto lenders add them to cars.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Jul 7, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Talking to a guy about this newly built neighborhood and he complained about the inadequate parking. His truck is too big for his garage, so he tried parking on the street in front of his house. His home is on a 3 way intersection, so he receives parking tickets and moans that he has to park his truck down the street.

Just loving lol. He has a 2 car garage in a 400k home, but refuses to downsize his truck.

I hope he gets a lien on his house for unpaid parking tickets and/or HOA fines.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

lmfao but what if I need to haul?? what will I do in a situation where I'm hauling???

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lmfao but what if I need to haul?? what will I do in a situation where I'm hauling???

it's insane living in a country where basically 1 in 2 men think this

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

eyyy im haulin here!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lobster shirt posted:

eyyy im haulin here!

the most many of them ever haul is a bunch of poo poo from costco that could easily fit into a sedan

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I don't think I would have an issue with "glorified golf carts" be the standard transportation for people in local areas and cars only reserved for longer-distance trips (not to mention everything else). There are plenty of solutions out there, it is just the US will always be there to stop them.

My retirement plan will involve me in some community in the north of the country where golf-carts are standard.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

chadbear posted:

I once was caught by a red-light camera and I went blind from the flash for a moment. Luckily I was able to get out of the ticket, guess how?

I was on my bike so they couldn't trace me. Car owners hate this weird trick

WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T JUST FOLLOW THE LAW.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the most many of them ever haul is a bunch of poo poo from costco that could easily fit into a sedan

ya i have a family and do weekly grocery store trips it all fits into my mid size sedan no problem

probably would also fit into a cargo biek but sadly getting to a grocery store involves crossing the intersection of two arterials and thats too scary for me to do on a bike

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

agreed in full

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bad: filled up ten gallons at 5.19/gallon

good: it was on my way to pick up this single speed bike off craigslist

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is there any difference between normal gas, premium gas, and either of these across gas stations or is it just lifestyle marketing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

is there any difference between normal gas, premium gas, and either of these across gas stations or is it just lifestyle marketing?
To radically simplify it: higher grades have higher octane ratings. Higher octane ratings means you need more compression before the gas ignites. Some engines (usually higher-performance ones) need the delayed ignition because otherwise the gas ignites before it's supposed to and causes the engine to knock.

I don't know if there's an established standard for what octane is required for each, but if your car needs higher-octane gas, it does make a difference. Using higher-octane gas if your car doesn't need it is just more expensive and dumb.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

yes the minimum octane rating (typically 87/89/92 or similar), if you put regular in a car that requires premium you will have a bad time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thanks for the explanation. am I right to assume my housemates Corolla doesn’t need premium? I think that’s what they’re using. unfortunately (thankfully?) it got totaled 2 weeks ago so its kind of moot at this point.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

thanks for the explanation. am I right to assume my housemates Corolla doesn’t need premium? I think that’s what they’re using. unfortunately (thankfully?) it got totaled 2 weeks ago so its kind of moot at this point.

absolutely not.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

But it is extremely car-brained to think one's basic rear end car deserves a treat like premium gas or something, and it's not uncommon :psyduck:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BeeSeeBee posted:

But it is extremely car-brained to think one's basic rear end car deserves a treat like premium gas or something, and it's not uncommon :psyduck:

thank you. I’m glad I was right but disappointed at the waste of money, usually at chevron too which I gather is one of the more expensive places. I hate cars but there’s no way to bus to their job so a new car must be bought!!! drat

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Good ep of the podcast tech won't save us on how tech won't save the transport industry. Nice little part on the push back cars got when they first encroached on the mixed use streets.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

you know where else it could have fit... in their ARMS. as they WALKED home from the dang store.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BeeSeeBee posted:

i treat my car like a lil bitch. spitting into the gas tank, rubbin sand and gravel on the paintwork, slappin the side mirrors. yesterday i just rode my bike round in circles right in front of it. nasty rear end car loves that poo poo

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

i treat my car like a lil bitch. spitting into the gas tank, rubbin sand and gravel on the paintwork, slappin the side mirrors. yesterday i just rode my bike round in circles right in front of it. nasty rear end car loves that poo poo

hell yeah

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BeeSeeBee posted:

Some irritated restaurant worker here went into a parking garage and smashed up some expensive cars with a fire extinguisher. Boomer brained sports radio guy went on the next day and said “I hate it when people beat something up that can’t fight back!” You know, like it was a puppy or something. Total brain damage poo poo

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
How many carbon credits is this worth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some irritated restaurant worker here went into a parking garage and smashed up some expensive cars with a fire extinguisher. Boomer brained sports radio guy went on the next day and said “I hate it when people beat something up that can’t fight back!” You know, like it was a puppy or something. Total brain damage poo poo
excuse me, he might have damaged a disabled marginalized pregnant BIPOC single mother's car who needs it to get to work to feed her 5 kids and if she's even 1 minute late she gets fired, and a puppy dies

very problematic imo