Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But she's working less closely with the Slithers so it evens out.

It's a consequence of them trying to splint the difference between she was working with them vs she was basically their puppet and maneuvering to break free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
By "nice" I specifically mean that Edelgard is entirely sincere about not desiring personal power except as necessary to achieve her benevolent social goals.

As for Monica, the other timeline is the one where she let Monica die because she decided it was her best option. In this story we see that when she decided she had a shot at savong her, she took it even over Hubert's objections. She was willing to sacrifice her, but also willing to go out of her way to save her.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I really appreciate that Three Hopes makes it absolutely clear that Edelgard had literally no choice but to do exactly what she did in Houses, and then gives her an out just to also make it clear that, no, she was gonna start the war even if her hand wasn't forced. :allears:

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just completed the Arianhrod mission on SB and is it possible to keep Count Rowe from defecting? You can't target Gwendal with Physic as far as I can tell and even if you're supoer overlevelled there's so many objectives to complete and dialogue to go through it doesn't seem possible to get to him in time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I really appreciate that Three Hopes makes it absolutely clear that Edelgard had literally no choice but to do exactly what she did in Houses, and then gives her an out just to also make it clear that, no, she was gonna start the war even if her hand wasn't forced. :allears:

And then makes it incredibly clear that if Edelgard hadn't, Claude was absolutely going to overthrow the church given half the chance.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

kvx687 posted:

I just completed the Arianhrod mission on SB and is it possible to keep Count Rowe from defecting? You can't target Gwendal with Physic as far as I can tell and even if you're supoer overlevelled there's so many objectives to complete and dialogue to go through it doesn't seem possible to get to him in time.

Well I didn't know he could defect so yes. I was on Hard and underleveled so if you're on Maddening I can see it but otherwise the Gaspard reinforcements should buy enough time for you to pop up there if you're clean about switching your dudes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Unless I'm mixing it up with a different mission, it is possible. I don't remember what exactly you need to do to get to him, but it's not all the objectives. At one point I was just looking at the map and noticed there was a path to him and immediately ordered my casters to go heal him. It was my first playthrough, so I didn't have any stupid overleveled characters with me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi posted:

I mean if anything this game makes her much more cold and brutal. She tells Monica to her face that she knew where Monica was the whole time and knew she was going to be tortured and killed and that she was fulling willing to sacrifice Monica if doing so brought her closer to achieving her goals.

that doesn’t make her more cold and brutal, it’s literally what she did in Three Houses. she says that to Monica because she feels guilty for having almost sacrificed her and doesn’t feel like she deserves to be praised for that

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

kvx687 posted:

your time to ki-- K.O. is probably way to long if you are having issues getting there

remember you can order your pals to take or at least get to strongholds while you're doing stuff and then you can swap to them to get through it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/triboliummorio/status/1545070423942959104?s=21&t=RKwTZ3CgQpONYRb1zY6w0Q

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not done with Edlegards route yet but man, not having her is gonna stink on future routes.

It's why I'm hoping if (there will be) there's DLC it's going to be a 'who cares here's a ton of maps/missions' like the Hyrule ones where I can just be whoever without any arbitrary limits.
Also that said god this game kicks the poo poo out of the first FEW, I beat that campaign and sold it because I just hated almost everything about it's characters and just didn't find it fun at all even if it did have some of my favorites like Lyn.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lol I didn’t know they made it canon. That’s perfect. “Hey do you ever wonder why they only seem to ever elect green haired women as pope?” “No why do you ask?”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the SB ending rules Huge three way brawl between the Empire, Slithers, and Church, culminating with Thales and Rhea evaporating each other in a DBZ beam struggle. And after it all Shez is all "yo Edelgard gimmie five." :allears:

SB > GW > AG for sure, and no route is really hard to place in its respective tier. Game is good, hopefully we get some DLC that expands on the Arval stuff in a more fulfilling manner.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
After all the pains to remove any picture of her in Houses this is how she gets exposed shm.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not done with Edlegards route yet but man, not having her is gonna stink on future routes.

It's why I'm hoping if (there will be) there's DLC it's going to be a 'who cares here's a ton of maps/missions' like the Hyrule ones where I can just be whoever without any arbitrary limits.
Also that said god this game kicks the poo poo out of the first FEW, I beat that campaign and sold it because I just hated almost everything about it's characters and just didn't find it fun at all even if it did have some of my favorites like Lyn.

You can use everyone on replaying maps in NG+ from the Record Keeper at least, even if it's not in the main story maps.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can only imagine that Rhea and Seteth took turns being archbishop, if only so that people don't get too suspicious. Rhea would be in charge no matter what, but just apply a new face to the church every hundred or so years.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pyroi posted:

I can only imagine that Rhea and Seteth took turns being archbishop, if only so that people don't get too suspicious. Rhea would be in charge no matter what, but just apply a new face to the church every hundred or so years.

Seteth has spent the last thousandish years watching over Flayn who was in a coma until some point after Byleth was born and they rejoined with Rhea. It's a huge plot point that they've only recently come back and he has no idea about most of what Rhea's been up to (and it appalls him).

And realistically they came to Garreg Mach even more recently than that, but we can't be sure of exactly when beyond the fact that Jeralt doesn't know them and he was Rhea's right hand for a couple of decades until the whole thing with Siri and Byleth had him leave.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Seteth arrived in 1162 and Flayn arrived in 1179 and Houses starts in 1180.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy GW a lot more because Claude actually seems to have ideas for how to both win wars and build things afterwards. He's ironically probably the most open of the lords because 90% of his scheming is devoted towards his goals so his goals actually seem like his top priority.. Hopes does a better job of showing that he is both someone with genuinely positive ideals and the willingness to do something cruel if it helps his goal. (And the game points out that people spending time around him both temper his natural inclination towards plans that weaken potential enemies AND makes them more prone to using actual strategy which is fun.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One thing to remember about Edelgard is that she shares Lysithea's whole 'massively shortened lifespan' thing.

I think a lot of her choices stem from that because the one thing she doesn't really have is time. She's taking the throne at a very young age, but she doesn't think that she'll be seated on it long enough to make incremental changes. This means that she has to smash the system quickly, and she has to do it so thoroughly that nobody will be able to put the pieces back together when she's gone.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Was Flayn out of the coma recently because I like to imagine she was acting her weird goony self until Seteth dragged her to Gundam Mech

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tired Moritz posted:

Was Flayn out of the coma recently because I like to imagine she was acting her weird goony self until Seteth dragged her to Gundam Mech

Three Houses plus mechs would be pretty cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't think its super clear when she actually got out of the coma, but Seteth definitely spent like a thousand years hiding her away until recently. And if the timeline of when they came to the Monastery is correct I imagine he probably brought her in because she was wandering around instead of staying where he stashed her.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zore posted:

Seteth has spent the last thousandish years watching over Flayn who was in a coma until some point after Byleth was born and they rejoined with Rhea. It's a huge plot point that they've only recently come back and he has no idea about most of what Rhea's been up to (and it appalls him).

And realistically they came to Garreg Mach even more recently than that, but we can't be sure of exactly when beyond the fact that Jeralt doesn't know them and he was Rhea's right hand for a couple of decades until the whole thing with Siri and Byleth had him leave.
i like Seteth as a character but i really do wish they'd done a little bit more with this on Silver Snow. I think he would've stood out more as your Lord-unit if he actually had a few more scenes where he confronted Rhea and actually went "Hey, Rhea, what the gently caress. What do you mean you've been doing hosed up magical surgery for the last thousand years. Why the gently caress did you splice some of your blood into high ranking members of the clergy to keep them around for longer. Why do you have generations of preserved nun corpses in the basement??"

Sadly she's stuck in an ambiguous torture dungeon for like, the entirety of Silver Snow and when she gets out he's (understandably) not about to confront her about it because, y'know, she just spent 5+ years in a dungeon.

...Actually, speaking of Rhea and her family members, do Indech and Macuil show up in Three Hopes, or are they just continuing to chill in the middle of nowhere? I thought those were some of the more interesting paralogues in Three Houses

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

i like Seteth as a character but i really do wish they'd done a little bit more with this on Silver Snow. I think he would've stood out more as your Lord-unit if he actually had a few more scenes where he confronted Rhea and actually went "Hey, Rhea, what the gently caress. What do you mean you've been doing hosed up magical surgery for the last thousand years. Why the gently caress did you splice some of your blood into high ranking members of the clergy to keep them around for longer. Why do you have generations of preserved nun corpses in the basement??"

Sadly she's stuck in an ambiguous torture dungeon for like, the entirety of Silver Snow and when she gets out he's (understandably) not about to confront her about it because, y'know, she just spent 5+ years in a dungeon.

...Actually, speaking of Rhea and her family members, do Indech and Macuil show up in Three Hopes, or are they just continuing to chill in the middle of nowhere? I thought those were some of the more interesting paralogues in Three Houses

Sadly MIA. Hell we didn't even get to see Seteth and Flayn's dragon forms while they were in dragon form in the intro.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just chilling.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well AG has been suffered through, and it's on to VW, which I might actually not skip all the cutscenes on. However I didn't know that dark bishop actually offered Shez a useful, would've much rather done this on a route I wasn't paying attention to the story on, I am now faced with the choice of suffering through an entire playthrough as mShez for essence of darkness. I really wish skill descriptions were actually descriptions and not just vague statements so I could determine if that was worth it or no.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

Sadly MIA.

The Lord of the Desert is Macuil and the Lord of the Lake is Indech.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

Well AG has been suffered through, and it's on to VW, which I might actually not skip all the cutscenes on. However I didn't know that dark bishop actually offered Shez a useful, would've much rather done this on a route I wasn't paying attention to the story on, I am now faced with the choice of suffering through an entire playthrough as mShez for essence of darkness. I really wish skill descriptions were actually descriptions and not just vague statements so I could determine if that was worth it or no.

If you won't enjoy a playthrough with mShez, then don't do it, especially not on a route you haven't done yet. It might make Shez stronger but it's not worth it if you're going to hate it. They're plenty strong anyway.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My pie-in-the-sky hopes for DLC is whatever they drop adds a plethora of voiced supports for Byleth, because it's such a waste to give her a voice and then fail to utilize it fully.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rand Brittain posted:

At the end of the day Edelgard is just impossibly nice for a realistic emperor on a war of aggressive conquest.

To be quite honest, I never got the impression that Edelgard is really in a war of conquest per se.

She's more of a revolutionary than anything else, and in a way the Empire reminds me of revolutionary France. Completely overthrow the old social order that has been shown time and time again to fail (aristocracy, but in 3houses and hopes this is intimately linked to the crest system and faith, which is actually not that different from aristocracy in 18th century Europe) and replace it by something new from scratch. Combine this with trying to eradicate TWSITD from your continent because they're fantasy evil people who have been causing untold suffering on you, personally, on the politics of your country and on many others outside of it.

From her interactions with the Alliance, it seems Edelgard is fully willing to leave the other countries alone as long as a) they do not oppose her goals in internal politics, b) are on board with ejecting the Church and the crest system from politics across the continent and c) helping her hunt TWSITD (and even then that seems to be a "nice to have" rather than an essential for cooperation). So her war isn't really a land grab but rather a war that seeks to spread her revolution. However, it does seem like a necesary evil of sorts to work *within* the system in the short term (by promoting noblemen who betray the Kingdom, promising material gains to her followers, etc.) to actually achieve those goals.

And, taken at face value, Dimitri and Claude could lay down their arms and implement her reforms in their independent countries.

But it's very clear that for the Kingdom, conditions a) and b) are non-starters. b) for obvious reasons: it would tear the Kingdom asunder after Dimitri has spent two years trying to quell rebellions and a pretender. a), I think, would be a non-starter as well, and Edelgard knows it: the Church has too much influence over Faerghus and would without a doubt try to undo her changes to retain control over the Empire.

On top of that, you'd be fully justified in opposing her for several reasons if you didn't know she was the main character of a fire emblem game:

- if you aren't in the know, everything about TWSITD sounds like mad conspiracy nonsense and I think not many would buy into it.
- if you aren't in the know, everything about the Church being evil and having forced the crest system on the continent + the dragon popess reveal at the start of the war (much more prevalent in 3 houses unless it comes up more in other routes than SB in 3 hopes) again sounds like mad conspiracy nonsense
- even if you have your doubts, can you really trust Edelgard to make good on her political ideals?
- even if you think Edelgard can make good on her political ideals, would you be willing to just roll over and submit to the Empire's demands after they have invaded your land and occupy parts of it? Would you not rather, at the very least, eject them from your own lands so you can negotiate as equals instead of as conqueror and potential subject?
- Even if you believe Edelgard is 100% right (factually speaking), you could still oppose her reforms on the basis that you genuinely believe the crest system was divinely ordained (which it kind of literally is, if you believe in the Church of Seiros) or because you benefit from the system or because you think the alternative she is presenting is legit a worse deal than the status quo? ("no crests? how the gently caress are we going to use our super weapons to protect Fodlan, then?? They're the only thing standing between us and Almyra / Dagda/Morfis!" Basically Edelgard's vision only sounds appealing to us because it brings Fodlan more in line with the age of enlightenment and that fits within our Western moral framework of the 21st century)

So in a lot of ways I think Dimitri (and a lot of the others who oppose Edelgard) are good people at heart. Dimitri is kind (whenever he isn't overcome by mental illness), dutiful, diligent, and selfless. He has a lot of virtues, but his main flaw is that he is incapable of thinking outside of the system he was brought up in, who is politically stuck in a very hard place and who probably has a lot of reasonable doubts about the intentions of the self-proclaimed revolutionary who launched a sudden invasion on your land for daring to harbor the clergy whose support is essential for your political structure. That doesn't make him a bad person, which is what makes the conflict so engaging.

And, in turn, you see Edelgard has to rely on quite a lot of bad people to make her own ideals come to fruition (part 1 of SB reads like a conga line of traitors and turncoats who are in this only for self-preservation or to curry favor and need to be bailed out by Edelgard one after another)

EDIT: spoilered some things but anybody who played 3 houses and half of SB will already know these things.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 8, 2022

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Mod Edited to remove spoilerish Youtube thumbnail.

lol

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 8, 2022

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Eimi posted:

perhaps just increase your threshold for what constitutes suffering

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Three Houses plus mechs would be pretty cool.

Well, the Mysterons/Slithers have these 'Titanus' things...it may happen yet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

For the record I don't think any of Fluegel/Asura's class abilities are actually elemental, despite the purple particle effects. I at least haven't noticed any change in the attacks or the little corner pop-up of Essence of Darkness activating while attacking.

EoD is chiefly good on Shez because they natively learn Dark Spikes and Luna. Boosted Luna in particular is just a stupid powerful enemy vacuum, and the only other characters to learn EoD are Hubert and Jeritza, who do not learn Luna on their own. Maybe they can learn it from Lysithea?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 8, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

For the record I don't think any of Fluegel/Asura's class abilities are actually elemental, despite the purple particle effects. I at least haven't noticed any change in the attacks or the little corner pop-up of Essence of Darkness activating while attacking.

EoD is chiefly good on Shez because they natively learn Dark Spikes and Luna. Boosted Luna in particular is just a stupid powerful enemy vacuum, and the only other characters to learn EoD are Hubert and Jeritza, who do not learn Luna on their own. Maybe they can learn it from Lysithea?

Lysithea can teach Luna to others, yes.

Essence of Darkness also enhances Dark Knight C1, C2, and C7 attacks, Mortal Savant C5 element follow-ups, as well as Shadowblade and Dark Lance which are useful combat arts.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Folt The Bolt posted:

Lysithea can teach Luna to others, yes.

Essence of Darkness also enhances Dark Knight C1, C2, and C7 attacks, Mortal Savant C5 element follow-ups, as well as Shadowblade and Dark Lance which are useful combat arts.

How DOES learning work, anyway? I'd love for Dorothea to teach my Shez how to fire lightning laserbeams, but I've had them paired up while she spams level 3's while both are Gremories, and nothing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Pyroi posted:

How DOES learning work, anyway? I'd love for Dorothea to teach my Shez how to fire lightning laserbeams, but I've had them paired up while she spams level 3's while both are Gremories, and nothing.

You just gotta keep at it, since it is by chance, and there are certain peculiarities in regards to characters who learn spells of the Black Magic variety and characters who learn spells of the Dark Magic variety which decreases the chance a little more; especially if it's any of the powerful spells.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's painful rng. Sometimes it takes a single map. Sometimes it takes over 20 of just controlling that character and spamming 200 durabilitys worth.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I gave up on spell learning after spending three chapters trying to get Marianne to pass Fimbulvetr around, only to eventually double check the rules and realize that she can't pass it on because it's a Warlock spell and her preferred class is Bishop.

Also because I finally got to make Holst a dancer with Thoron, Bolting, and Essence of Lightning and he more than covers all my castin needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah like you could pass all the good stuff around but there are plenty good good arts and spells in all casting types, everyone usually learns at least one good one, or gets a relic with one, so it's kinda more fun to just use what a character has. Also less annoying.