Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

tsob posted:

Was it well regarded by audiences? Cause I've never really heard or seen much in the way of positive or negative discussion on the film itself. The overall audience view seems to have been more that it was kind of mediocre and forgettable rather than good or bad, from my personal experience. I can absolutely see the second movie making a billion plus again, but I can also see it doing less because I'm not that excited for it personally since I found the first kind of boring despite liking Carol and most of the people who've used the mantle of Captain Marvel within the comics. Of course, a good trailer could make people a lot more excited for it regardless.

Plus, just from a revenue point of view, the fact the first made $1.1 billion means the second will have a harder time topping it just because the original's numbers were so huge and at some point you can't generate more revenue. It's not impossible, but it's certainly going to be a challenge even if the movie is good and popular.

Almost every young woman I've ever spoken to about it who remotely cares about superhero movies loved it, most other people seemed to think it was a fun time, and it's rocketed the character from someone no one outside of niche sections of superhero comics gave a poo poo about to a household name that sells millions, if not billions, in merchandise to a demographic that was hard for Marvel to reach previously.

Like I also thought it was a boring, forgettable generic Marvel romp too, but it's pretty obvious it was a massively successful film for Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tsob posted:

Was it well regarded by audiences? Cause I've never really heard or seen much in the way of positive or negative discussion on the film itself. The overall audience view seems to have been more that it was kind of mediocre and forgettable rather than good or bad, from my personal experience. I can absolutely see the second movie making a billion plus again, but I can also see it doing less because I'm not that excited for it personally since I found the first kind of boring despite liking Carol and most of the people who've used the mantle of Captain Marvel within the comics. Of course, a good trailer could make people a lot more excited for it regardless.

Plus, just from a revenue point of view, the fact the first made $1.1 billion means the second will have a harder time topping it just because the original's numbers were so huge and at some point you can't generate more revenue. It's not impossible, but it's certainly going to be a challenge even if the movie is good and popular.

Counterpoint: every lady fan I know liked it enough to get misty-eyed about it. Apparently, they like being pandered to the same way dudes do.

e:fb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Codependent Poster posted:

Another site is reporting Ritter is returning as Jessica Jones in the series as well.

gently caress

YES

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Madurai posted:

Counterpoint: every lady fan I know liked it enough to get misty-eyed about it. Apparently, they like being pandered to the same way dudes do.

I'm sure they do, but I've never seen it. I presumably just haven't been asking in the right circles. Or at all, really. That's bias for you though, I suppose.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

tsob posted:

I'm sure they do, but I've never seen it. I presumably just haven't been asking in the right circles. Or at all, really.

Captain Marvel was really loving good

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh and so now it's official:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1545079152017039362

Another site is reporting Ritter is returning as Jessica Jones in the series as well.

Fake news. Kingpin obviously died at the end of Hawkeye.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The only real MCU failure was Eternals and I 100% think it would've been amazing as a limited series. It was just too rushed as an ensemble movie

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tsob posted:

I think you missed the post above this that said all the MCU sequels except age of ultron outperformed the original

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Even if you don't like Brie Larson, the Nick Fury + Talos stuff was great. And they brought back Coulson! It's not the best movie I've ever seen, but aside from a couple of cringe-y song choices, it was perfectly fine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thundercracker posted:

The only real MCU failure was Eternals and I 100% think it would've been amazing as a limited series. It was just too rushed as an ensemble movie

Eternals made comparable money to Black Widow and Shang-Chi. I'm not saying it was a great movie but it's biggest mistake was coming out before No Way Home got everyone to start going to cinemas again

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dave Syndrome posted:

The episode was very good, but I feel it came too soon. I haven't read the comic in a while, but it seems we spend a lot more time with Kamala and her friends before the heavy poo poo starts. Hell, Zoe in the show is reduced to a cameo when in the book she actually becomes a good person, develops an unrequited crush on Nakia, her ex-boyfriend joins some villainous organization... There are a lot of storytelling opportunities there.

That's fair, but ultimately this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe and not the Ms. Marvel Cinematic Universe. At least at first none of these shows/movies are going to drill super deep into the supporting characters. There's a budget, not just of money but of time. You can delve deeper into characters during a 100 issue comic book run than you can in a 6-episode a year series. I mean, would you really want to toss out the Partition/Aisha stuff to give some more screen time and development to the not-actually-all-that-mean white girl?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

I think you missed the post above this that said all the MCU sequels except age of ultron outperformed the original

No, I didn't.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Probably the weakest episode so far.

See, it's funny you say that. Because this is the first episode I really connected with. I can't even say why, but I actually got pretty emotional at the Kamala/Mother/Grandmother scenes near the end, in a way that I think the show has wanted me to be the whole time, but I haven't been. And the Partition flashback stuff was compelling. This was my favorite episode of the show.

I agree the show has a lot to do in the last episode, but isn't that always the case with these Marvel shows?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

Eternals made comparable money to Black Widow and Shang-Chi. I'm not saying it was a great movie but it's biggest mistake was coming out before No Way Home got everyone to start going to cinemas again

Shang-Chi already has an announced sequel and spinoff and the director has a third Marvel project lined up while it's been crickets on any future Eternals or Black Knight stuff. It ended on a massive cliffhanger so it'll probably happen but it doesn't seem like Marvel is dying to get it going.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

thrawn527 posted:

See, it's funny you say that. Because this is the first episode I really connected with. I can't even say why, but I actually got pretty emotional at the Kamala/Mother/Grandmother scenes near the end, in a way that I think the show has wanted me to be the whole time, but I haven't been. And the Partition flashback stuff was compelling. This was my favorite episode of the show.

I agree the show has a lot to do in the last episode, but isn't that always the case with these Marvel shows?

The episode content itself was fine, but it was essentially a bottle episode. It was weak in the sense of overall story structure.

If you are a six episode miniseries that has already rushed through a lot of exposition due to time constraints, then making 1/6th of your entire show run a bottle episode (and the penultimate episode no less) is bad for the show and weakens the narrative.

It didn't drive any of the main plot forward and is going to backload the entire resolution of multiple plotlines into a single 37-minute episode.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The episode content itself was fine, but it was essentially a bottle episode. It was weak in the sense of overall story structure.

If you are a six episode miniseries that has already rushed through a lot of exposition due to time constraints, then making 1/6th of your entire show run a bottle episode (and the penultimate episode no less) is bad for the show and weakens the narrative.

It didn't drive any of the main plot forward and is going to backload the entire resolution of multiple plotlines into a single 37-minute episode.

What plotlines need to be resolved? If anything, the problem with this episode is that it felt like the finale and they had to create new drama for the actual finale.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

live with fruit posted:

What plotlines need to be resolved?

Is Brian going to go to CalTech or what?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If Ms. Marvel didn't have the Pakistan episodes we wouldn't have gotten so much time with her grandmother and that would be a CRIME.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

What plotlines need to be resolved? If anything, the problem with this episode is that it felt like the finale and they had to create new drama for the actual finale.

Every major plotline has been really rushed to make space. In this episode, they even introduce new plotlines with Kamren.

- All of the villain heel turns has been incredibly abrupt.
- The escape from prison took two minutes.
- The entire Pakistan arc was started by her grandmother just calling and saying "Go to Pakistan" and then they do.
- The Djinn immediately walk into a portal and die to resolve their story arc.
- The Red Dagger are introduced and then destroyed in less than 10 minutes of screen time.
- Major side characters like Zoe and Nakia have had their reveal/plot points hit a peak and then put on pause for 1/3 of the show.
- Kareem just wandered off and his plotline is either not resolved or resolved in the quickest laziest way possible.
- Bruno's whole scholarship situation has been hold for 4 episodes.
- Her mom figures out she has powers and then decides to take it extremely well with no questions to quickly end her conflict with Kamala for the season.
- DODC was introduced first thing and their entire arc has been on pause for 5 episodes except for brief moments where a drone shows up to move the plot forward.
- The fact that there was severed Kree hand in the first episode has apparently not played any role in the story. And, since the Djinn are from another universe, it makes even less sense for the Kree to be involved.
- The second bracelet has been hovering as a plot point since episode 1.

The main thrust of this episode would have been better placed as a third or fourth episode. There's lots of great plot threads, but all of them are either being hit and resolved incredibly quickly or hit and then left to hang.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 7, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
A lot of the problems with show sound a lot like "But the comics." Like, Zoe is not a major character. She filled her purpose and there's really no need to revisit them. The Djinn stuff was rushed but they're part of the Pakistan storyline.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 7, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Every major plotline has been really rushed to make space. In this episode, they even introduce new plotlines with Kamren.

- All of the villain heel turns has been incredibly abrupt.
- The escape from prison took two minutes.
- The entire Pakistan arc was started by her grandmother just calling and saying "Go to Pakistan" and then they do.
- The Djinn immediately walk into a portal and die to resolve their story arc.
- The Red Dagger are introduced and then destroyed in less than 10 minutes of screen time.
- Major side characters like Zoe and Nakia have had their reveal/plot points hit a peak and then put on pause for 1/3 of the show.
- Kareem just wandered off and his plotline is either not resolved or resolved in the quickest laziest way possible.
- Bruno's whole scholarship situation has been hold for 4 episodes.
- Her mom figures out she has powers and then decides to take it extremely we be cool to quickly end her conflict with Kamala for the season.
- DODC was introduced first thing and their entire arc has been on pause for 5 episodes except for brief moments where a drone shows up to move the plot forward.
- The fact that there was severed Kree hand in the first episode has apparently not played any role in the story. And, since the Djinn are from another universe, it makes even less sense for the Kree to be involved.
- The second bracelet has been hovering as a plot point since episode 1.

The main thrust of this episode would have been better placed as a third or fourth episode. There's lots of great plot threads, but all of them are either being hit and resolved incredibly quickly or hit and then left to hang.
I agree with most of this and it’s just the overall problem for me that the show can’t decide what’s actually most important. The villains have been a joke and I’m still not 100% certain if they are all gone. I agree that they are probably setting up Kamran for a heel-turn or possession because if not, that was a very unsatisfying resolution to the extra-dimensional people arc

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MarsPearl posted:

Kind of a minor nerd nit-pick but having everyone labelled as speaking 'Hindi' to each other in Karachi as the subtitles identify it is a weird choice. They'd most likely be speaking Urdu or a regional language like Pashto or Punjabi.

There were several times in the last episode where the subtitles said they were speaking Urdu. They have been using both the whole series, though I don't speak either so I don't know if it was actually Urdu or actually Hindi, but it has been Urdu several times for sure in Karachi.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The Clandestine.

They died as they lived.

Accomplishing nothing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

It's mostly stuff related to Kamala's life in Jersey so far as I recall. So we have:

• Kamala's relationship with Nakia
  • Bruno's decision on whether or not to leave
  • Kamran's fate
  • Damage Control chasing "Night Light"

I'm not so sure Kamran will turn on Kamala, seeing as how Damage Control are probably the show's villains. At least, it'd be weird to have them just constantly loving things over and being douchebags to everyone and not make them an antagonist, and instead focus on Kamran. I'm imagining something like Kamala fighting and defeating the forces of Damage Control sent against her in a very public way that eventually draws Monica and/or Carol into things, so they can put the scummy people heading up the investigation down for doing so, and clear Kamala's name so they (and thus, the wider US Government) stop chasing her in further seasons/movies. Also, clearing Bruno, since technically he's just been spotted harboring a fugitive. Which is probably not good for him. It's not like "ally with similar powers" isn't a common thing in superhero stories anyway, so that Kamran would have to be a villain with those powers.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 7, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just saw the new Thor and put Tessa Thompson in everything

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Having great actors doesn’t make a great show. Kamala‘s great grandparents had wonderful chemistry. But if they limit your series you need to focus it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Golden Bee posted:

Having great actors doesn’t make a great show. Kamala‘s great grandparents had wonderful chemistry. But if they limit your series you need to focus it.

The overall question of this season has been "Who am I in terms of where do I come from?" in relation to Kamala. She's learning her history along with the story of her family and her place within that family and story. Figure next episode will start to ask "Who do I want to be?" I know some people wanted this show to maybe be "The Misadventures of Ms. Spider-Marvel" or something about this cute Muslim Jersey teen girl balancing family, high school and superheroing, but I like that the show did something a little bit different.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Everyone posted:

The overall question of this season has been "Who am I in terms of where do I come from?" in relation to Kamala. She's learning her history along with the story of her family and her place within that family and story.

Okay, but then that doesn't work that well because Kamala didn't actually see 90% of her what we saw. All she saw was her dying great-gran for 15 seconds, a brief meeting with her grandma as a toddler, and a look at her great-grandad from a distance. And it's all things she already knew. She had already heard that story a hundred times. It gives it a little more impact and context for her to see it in-person, I'm sure, but it didn't really fill out any questions for her.

I'm also going to push back on the idea that the great grandma character was so great. What character traits did she have besides "gorgeous woman", "shy damsel on the run", and "devoted wife and loving mother"? She barely even spoke. To anyone who found her significantly more sympathetic and resonant than, say, Kamala, Nakia, or Muneeba, maybe take a second to reflect on why that is. (I'm not gonna accuse anyone in particular, but to me there's a very obvious trend in media for gorgeous, cliche, paper-thin women who are defined by their relations to others to be popular and loved far more than other women... and it really gets under my skin)

edit:

I guess it specifically bothers me because all women superheroes have to be hyper crazy sexy, right? And have had to for a long time, even moreso than men. And Ms. Marvel from the comics was one of the few instances of NOT being that, very deliberately. She was a playful kid, instead, with a fun power set that didn't care if it made people uncomfortable. She wasn't obligated to entertain people with her beauty. And we're losing that element more and more until finally they just say "gently caress it lets make an episode about an incredibly beautiful adult woman instead" and surprise, people are unboard with that for some reason. So sue me, I liked Ms Marvel comics. I want Ms. Marvel to be the one female superhero that doesn't have to be super sexy. Just one.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 8, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

XboxPants posted:

I guess it specifically bothers me because all women superheroes have to be hyper crazy sexy, right? And have had to for a long time, even moreso than men. And Ms. Marvel from the comics was one of the few instances of NOT being that, very deliberately. She was a playful kid, instead, with a fun power set that didn't care if it made people uncomfortable. She wasn't obligated to entertain people with her beauty. And we're losing that element more and more until finally they just say "gently caress it lets make an episode about an incredibly beautiful adult woman instead" and surprise, people are unboard with that for some reason. So sue me, I liked Ms Marvel comics. I want Ms. Marvel to be the one female superhero that doesn't have to be super sexy. Just one.

The actress is attractive but hardly offensively so.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm absolutely offended by beauty. I only wish to be disgusted by what I see.

I liked seeing the relationship between Kamala's mom and grandma and the contrast of how Kamala and her mom relate to each other. It's good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

The actress is attractive but hardly offensively so.

I think it's more the fact she had focus and was given time to show her character, than anything she did in particular really. It's like the first few minutes of Up!; nothing it did was spectacular or particularly deep or anything, but it just did it real well, and that was enough to get people emotional. This isn't as well done by any means, but it's not as emotionally devastating either. I'm pretty sure the people praising it are mostly praising the fact it was allowed the time to tell the story it wanted, rather than the depths of the characters or anything.

I'd say the great-grandfather was more interesting if anything too, since he went from a rather pacifistic uniter to angry at people who weren't helping support everyone, and who he felt were abandoning him and his family. We didn't get a huge focus on that transition, which happens off screen really, but it's an interesting change that is easily understandable given the circumstances, so it's effective regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 8, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It seemed to me that they wanted to talk about the partition of India and used this interdimensional love story as a way to do it cause this is still a sci-fi franchise.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Okay, but then that doesn't work that well because Kamala didn't actually see 90% of her what we saw. All she saw was her dying great-gran for 15 seconds, a brief meeting with her grandma as a toddler, and a look at her great-grandad from a distance. And it's all things she already knew. She had already heard that story a hundred times. It gives it a little more impact and context for her to see it in-person, I'm sure, but it didn't really fill out any questions for her.

I'm also going to push back on the idea that the great grandma character was so great. What character traits did she have besides "gorgeous woman", "shy damsel on the run", and "devoted wife and loving mother"? She barely even spoke. To anyone who found her significantly more sympathetic and resonant than, say, Kamala, Nakia, or Muneeba, maybe take a second to reflect on why that is. (I'm not gonna accuse anyone in particular, but to me there's a very obvious trend in media for gorgeous, cliche, paper-thin women who are defined by their relations to others to be popular and loved far more than other women... and it really gets under my skin)

edit:

Iman Vellani looks like a completely normal teenage girl, you weird incel.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Iman Vellani looks like a completely normal teenage girl, you weird incel.

the post is about Aisha who looks like she's had instagram model work in 1942 India

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

the post is about Aisha who looks like she's had instagram model work in 1942 India

That is what Mehwish Hayat normally looks like with basic TV makeup, and I will not take back "weird incel" because this was the edited in paragraph:

quote:

Which is very obviously about Iman Vellani, who is playing the character called Ms. Marvel. You weird incel.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

That is what Mehwish Hayat normally looks like with basic TV makeup, and I will not take back "weird incel" because this was the edited in paragraph:

Which is very obviously about Iman Vellani, who is playing the character called Ms. Marvel. You weird incel.

whatever man, continue to fly off the handle over posts you don't quite grasp.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh no, a TV show has good-looking people in it as part of a time-traveling interdimensional love story. The horror.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Oh no, a TV show has good-looking people in it as part of a time-traveling interdimensional love story. The horror.

It's a point worth debate in a show where the protagonist has body image issues, no?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

MarsPearl posted:

Kind of a minor nerd nit-pick but having everyone labelled as speaking 'Hindi' to each other in Karachi as the subtitles identify it is a weird choice. They'd most likely be speaking Urdu or a regional language like Pashto or Punjabi.
Just to nitpick this nitpick: they weren't actually in Karachi during the flashback, which took place before Hasan and Sana actually moved to Karachi. So it would make sense for Hasan to be speaking to his neighbors in Hindi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kazil posted:

It's a point worth debate in a show where the protagonist has body image issues, no?

No indeed. It's a show about high schoolers, everyone has body image issues. I'm just thankful they haven't sexualized Kamala at all.