Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Car Hater posted:

The "people don't change unless they want to" bit twigs on something that's been bothering me for a lifetime, and discovering the Pathological Demand Avoidance subdiagnosis over the past weekend thanks to this page has really opened my eyes. I don't "want" anything, and to the best of my knowledge, never have. Life is about avoiding expectations and negative consequences including those that come about from not meeting my own quote "needs." I.e. the reason to have a relationship is in order to avoid feeling lonely, but get me close to being in a relationship and I start to melt down from the pressure. (Sex for example - you have to communicate that you _want_ your partner, that they are desirable, and I find myself more doing it because I want to make them happy so I don't lose them. Doesn't work out) It makes it almost impossible accomplish anything in therapy.

Anyone got advice for learning to want to change?

This is pretty much me. I have extreme issues with making myself the perfect person for my partner but doing that makes people see the hollow shell that is me. Add to that a physical disability and you get a nervous wreck. I've accepted I'll never be truly happy with myself and don't see anybody accepting me anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I’m sorry but 15 isn’t anywhere close to being an adult. 3 to 5 years is a lifetime at that age. time moves significantly slower for a teen compared to a 30 year old with children. I didn’t move out until I was 21 and had nothing going on but semesters wasted jr college. I was able to get a one bedroom apartment with the help of my therapist. Within a year I working a full time job and no longer needed the support of my parents who were honestly holding me back with emotional baggage. My mother constantly told how worthless I was but wouldn’t let me leave cause she wanted government money.. I met my wife and we’ve been together for GASP 15 years. Now we’re raising a 7 year old on the spectrum. He’s level 3 so I don’t have the same concerns as you. But all I’m trying to say is at 15….there’s still time for you…

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

King Baby posted:

I I was able to get a one bedroom apartment with the help of my therapist. Within a year I working a full time job and no longer needed the support of my parents who were honestly holding me back with emotional baggage. My mother constantly told how worthless I was but wouldn’t let me leave cause she wanted government money..

That's kinda what I hoped for my daughter. Her mum has been living off of her ssdi checks her whole life and I don't think she wants to have to lose that. If the girl-me would get her own place I think she'd really enjoy the freedom of it as long as she keeps up with the taking care of herself part.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

King Baby posted:

I’m sorry but 15 isn’t anywhere close to being an adult. 3 to 5 years is a lifetime at that age. time moves significantly slower for a teen compared to a 30 year old with children. I didn’t move out until I was 21 and had nothing going on but semesters wasted jr college. I was able to get a one bedroom apartment with the help of my therapist. Within a year I working a full time job and no longer needed the support of my parents who were honestly holding me back with emotional baggage. My mother constantly told how worthless I was but wouldn’t let me leave cause she wanted government money.. I met my wife and we’ve been together for GASP 15 years. Now we’re raising a 7 year old on the spectrum. He’s level 3 so I don’t have the same concerns as you. But all I’m trying to say is at 15….there’s still time for you…

WTF is level 3? Can I take another level in autism? Can I multiclass? Are there different coloured belts?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I multiclassed in ADHD and boy are there conflicts between the two classes.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I multiclassed in ADHD and boy are there conflicts between the two classes.

:same:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

WTF is level 3? Can I take another level in autism? Can I multiclass? Are there different coloured belts?

Current classifications for autism are 1-3 based on support needs, where 1 is very little support required and 3 is a very high amount of support required. At least that's how my psych explained it to me, might not be used as much in the US?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I guess it's time for me to apologize for making the assumption that King Baby's daughter is 15. I'm sorry about it, and the mix-up it's spawned.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

Dance Officer posted:

I guess it's time for me to apologize for making the assumption that King Baby's daughter is 15. I'm sorry about it, and the mix-up it's spawned.

My son is 7….Okay, I see where the 15, 18, confusion of nesamdoom‘a daughter came from. I apologize for contributing to that confusion too.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

King Baby posted:

My son is 7….Okay, I see where the 15, 18, confusion of nesamdoom‘a daughter came from. I apologize for contributing to that confusion too.

I'll throw apology in too, I mentioned an age and then started comparing ages that were different without being clear. The context was in my head more than explained.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

Organza Quiz posted:

Current classifications for autism are 1-3 based on support needs, where 1 is very little support required and 3 is a very high amount of support required. At least that's how my psych explained it to me, might not be used as much in the US?

This is correct.

Level 1 can be some dude that found out he had autism at 30 without even knowing it. Level 3 is me desperately trying to keep dirty things out of my son’s mouth like rubber bands on the floor…or off peoples wrists.

He cries a lot and makes a lot of weird noises. A neighbor once brought over a jug of milk for our “baby” because they bought too much. They were shocked to see him later because he actually looks 2 years older then he really is.

And just because he’s level 3 doesn’t mean he’s not smart. I’ve been rewriting this post on floor for an hour now. There’s a lot I’ve written l, I’m just keeping it out of the post for now. He just went in the bathroom where the cat box is and closed the door. This was a trick to get me off the floor, so he could lead me to the kitchen to get more crackers and juice.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

King Baby posted:

He just went in the bathroom where the cat box is and closed the door. This was a trick to get me off the floor, so he could lead me to the kitchen to get more crackers and juice.

That's a pro move.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

King Baby posted:

This is correct.

Level 1 can be some dude that found out he had autism at 30 without even knowing it. Level 3 is me desperately trying to keep dirty things out of my son’s mouth like rubber bands on the floor…or off peoples wrists.

He cries a lot and makes a lot of weird noises. A neighbor once brought over a jug of milk for our “baby” because they bought too much. They were shocked to see him later because he actually looks 2 years older then he really is.

And just because he’s level 3 doesn’t mean he’s not smart. I’ve been rewriting this post on floor for an hour now. There’s a lot I’ve written l, I’m just keeping it out of the post for now. He just went in the bathroom where the cat box is and closed the door. This was a trick to get me off the floor, so he could lead me to the kitchen to get more crackers and juice.

What's up "trying to keep my son from putting everything in his mouth all the time" buddy

Edit: our latest adventure is unravelling every single one of his shirts and chewing on the unravelled string

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm not usually a put-poo poo-in-my-mouth kind of person, but I am a rip-stuff-into-tiny pieces -- mostly leaves and woodchips -- and a play-with-jewelry kind of person. Eventually I found knitting and that is a good stim for me. Also I learned to flap again after discovering the neurodiversity movement and it owns bones (try it sometime!) And of course I'm a typical phone-addicted Millennial. But it's hard, finding the right sensory diet. My husband tried to get me to use worry beads years ago, but they were just too bulky and awkward to carry around. I know a lot of people use silicone chewy necklaces to satisfy their urge to bite, but YMMV.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm not usually a put-poo poo-in-my-mouth kind of person, but I am a rip-stuff-into-tiny pieces -- mostly leaves and woodchips -- and a play-with-jewelry kind of person. Eventually I found knitting and that is a good stim for me. Also I learned to flap again after discovering the neurodiversity movement and it owns bones (try it sometime!) And of course I'm a typical phone-addicted Millennial. But it's hard, finding the right sensory diet. My husband tried to get me to use worry beads years ago, but they were just too bulky and awkward to carry around. I know a lot of people use silicone chewy necklaces to satisfy their urge to bite, but YMMV.

First: I know that they are for the most part kinda gross, but candy necklaces were such a cool thing to just always have a thing to nibble. I replaced that with smoking and then eventually vaping. But, the chewy stim was there always even when I was just killing juicy fruit on a constant.

Second: I never did a flap so much, but maybe it's similar in tension relief to always having yoyos. A weird bit of that is when I was younger my mum told me that my habit to play with yoyos when I didn't have them was something my dad did when they were kids.

Third: Sensory diet is an interesting term I've never heard/seen. It kinda makes sense to group things. Like mine would be low on auditory, but constantly require active motion. Video games work well for that, but also despite my wanting to avoid contact I don't have a problem with some sports like basketball where it happens at a minimal level frequently.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

cinnamon rollout posted:

What's up "trying to keep my son from putting everything in his mouth all the time" buddy

Edit: our latest adventure is unravelling every single one of his shirts and chewing on the unravelled string

I actually kinda wanna see that. My son loves his screen tees. He’ll likes to lay them flat and rub his fingers on the design.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I feel like I had a pretty good handle on my autistic characteristics when I went through the diagnosis process given I'd suspected I was autistic for like 15 years before I did, but I still remember being asked if I liked tearing things into tiny pieces and going OH.

If I can recommend a craft needle felting is actually pretty good for tearing stuff up motion because you're often pulling bits of wool off bigger bits and also using a tearing motion to mix up the directions of the fibres before you start felting.

Less related but talking about stims I've got a ton of use out of my fidget rings at work. They're just little discreet silver rings with stuff on them that can be fiddled with constantly without having to grab a pen or some ribbon or bluetac or whatever (not that I don't do those things too just not in front of clients lol).

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
My results are in and I have... half an autism? "Autistic traits with current exclusion of autistic spectrum disorder and high likelyhood of autism spectrum disorder" is what it says. The way my therapist explained it to me, some of my traits (social stuff, mimic, apparently my voice is kind of monotone sometimes and generally a bit strange) fit, while others, mostly related to specific interests, don't or don't fully fit. I don't have any interests that are completely out there, I don't talk incessantly about the interests that I do have, I follow along with conversation even if it bores me, stuff like that. She suggested that some of this might be because I've learned early on not to do these things.

Stuff like social cues doesn't come naturally to me, but I've learned the rules for years now and can handle any familiar situations like that. Same for reading faces and apparently empathy too? I was honestly kind of shocked to find out that for other people, empathy doesn't work in the "consciously think about how you would feel if this happened to you, it's probably similar for the other person" way. Makes me feel kind of creeped out by myself if I'm being honest.

A lot of typically autistic things like sensory overloads, stimming, etc, only seem to happen for me when I'm tired. Normally, going to the supermarket is not a problem, but I once went after a therapy session and I must have been really exhausted from that because all the sounds just came crashing down on me. Is that a thing for anybody else? My voice apparently gets more monotone the more tired I am too.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Yes, you sound a lot like me to be honest! What you're describing is "masking," the learned practice of hiding or compensating for neurodivergent traits or behaviors in order to get through life. Often, kids start picking up the basics of masking so early that it becomes subconscious and second nature, and it becomes hard to realize they're doing it at all. The only sign might be a deep exhaustion after social events, because masking is cognitively very taxing; you're using active brain resources to do things other folks do nearly automatically.

Unfortunately, the ASD diagnostic criteria were written for children, and pretty crudely at that. They fail to fully consider the internal experience of autistic folks, and they tend to miss people who made it to adulthood without a diagnosis simply because they necessarily built up an array of coping skills and masking strategies along the way. That sounds like you, to me, although IANAD.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My sensory overload only comes out when my anxiety/depression gets bad. Or when I'm in a movie theater. Someone on youtube mentioned that movie theaters overstimulate them (idk if they were neurodivergent) and I was like "Yes me too actually." I always thought that thing about movie theaters was some Weird Thing I had but its probably related to neurodivergency somehow.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Hey do any of you guys think Michael Jackson was autistic? I’ve brought it up with my wife (Queen Baby) and she won’t have the conversation with me because Michael Jackson is a terrible person. I respect her decision but as an armchair analyst, I’ve put way too much thought into this. Here are some of my obsession….err, um, observations.

1. The way Michael talks and sings. He sounds like a child when he talks. He uses weird descriptions like “doodoo feces” and repeats things a lot. When singing it can be hard to understand him at times (especially anything from the Bad album onwards). He makes a lot weird noises too.

2. Michael’s dances are filled with things that look like hand flapping and stemming. That crotch grab…total stem!

3. He covers his face a lot with glasses, masks, hats, and his hair.

4. The shiny 1 glove and other strange over stimulation items he wears.

5. He has next to no self control. He doesn’t care about the consequences of his actions, just his results.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jackson faced a childhood full of abuse and unnatural expectations. It's almost assuredly a fool's errand to try and classify him from the armchair given all that.

SetsunaMeioh posted:

I went through GRASP, which is local to me & they recently changed their payment options for a simple assessment.
This is amazing. Thanks!! Time to start saving up

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Quorum posted:

Yes, you sound a lot like me to be honest! What you're describing is "masking," the learned practice of hiding or compensating for neurodivergent traits or behaviors in order to get through life. Often, kids start picking up the basics of masking so early that it becomes subconscious and second nature, and it becomes hard to realize they're doing it at all. The only sign might be a deep exhaustion after social events, because masking is cognitively very taxing; you're using active brain resources to do things other folks do nearly automatically.

Unfortunately, the ASD diagnostic criteria were written for children, and pretty crudely at that. They fail to fully consider the internal experience of autistic folks, and they tend to miss people who made it to adulthood without a diagnosis simply because they necessarily built up an array of coping skills and masking strategies along the way. That sounds like you, to me, although IANAD.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! I kind of thought masking had to be something you actively do all the time. I do crash after every social event.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
SoxiL events pre-smartphone were hell.

My parents were like "stop bringing books everywhere!" What the hell am I supposed to do at a party without books to read! "Go socialize and talk to people" I DONT KNOW ANYONE HERE AND ITS EITHER 25-65 YEAR OLDS OR LITERAL CHILDREN!

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

FilthyImp posted:

Jackson faced a childhood full of abuse and unnatural expectations. It's almost assuredly a fool's errand to try and classify him from the armchair given all that.

This is amazing. Thanks!! Time to start saving up

I don’t disagree but could the same exact thing be said about someone like the overly documented Chris Chan? I have no idea where I’m going with this…admittedly.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Edit: Welp that belongs elsewhere.

Bank fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 15, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! I kind of thought masking had to be something you actively do all the time. I do crash after every social event.

Yeah, it's easy to internalize certain procedures and subconsciously assume that everyone does it the same way. One watershed realization for me was noticing that most people do not usually prepare a list of conversation topics ahead of time every time they go to a social outing just to have something to say occasionally.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

King Baby posted:

I don’t disagree but could the same exact thing be said about someone like the overly documented Chris Chan? I have no idea where I’m going with this…admittedly.

I think we need to be careful about trying to diagnose people from afar. We see a very narrow view of them, one with its own distortions. And like anything, there's a lot of reasons why a person might behave a certain way.

Fictional characters? That's fine. Real people - maybe not.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Violet_Sky posted:

My sensory overload only comes out when my anxiety/depression gets bad. Or when I'm in a movie theater. Someone on youtube mentioned that movie theaters overstimulate them (idk if they were neurodivergent) and I was like "Yes me too actually." I always thought that thing about movie theaters was some Weird Thing I had but its probably related to neurodivergency somehow.

I'm weird on sensory overload. I love carnivals. Blairing music and flashing lights never bothered me as a kid or teen or adult. My son has a light up sword that cycles colors flashing and at night it starts really bothering me if it's in my perepheral vision. I can't stand being in a room full of people talking. I can sit at the bar and have dinner and a few beers while reading and I'm fine, but people moving around near me is more bothersome. Also, some stuff seems hyper specific to like the wheel of a cart squeaking or just fuckoff brightness like some stores in malls have that's like a super sunny day when it's snowy and just light is reflected from so much that it's too much. Other people seemed to never notice. I actually have several mall related things. The stores that pump scents through the venting make me walk all the way out of my way to go around the middle section to get to the store on the otherside or I gotta slowly breath out from my nose for 15 seconds and rush by the noxic(toxic noxious) bit.

Is there a thing for when its sensory but connected to like scanning the area? Like if someone is walking towards me I pay attention until they aren't gauged to be meaning interaction or harm? I think anxiety plays with this quite a lot.

Cloacamazing! posted:

My results are in and I have... half an autism? "Autistic traits with current exclusion of autistic spectrum disorder and high likelyhood of autism spectrum disorder" is what it says. The way my therapist explained it to me, some of my traits (social stuff, mimic, apparently my voice is kind of monotone sometimes and generally a bit strange) fit, while others, mostly related to specific interests, don't or don't fully fit. I don't have any interests that are completely out there, I don't talk incessantly about the interests that I do have, I follow along with conversation even if it bores me, stuff like that. She suggested that some of this might be because I've learned early on not to do these things.

Stuff like social cues doesn't come naturally to me, but I've learned the rules for years now and can handle any familiar situations like that. Same for reading faces and apparently empathy too? I was honestly kind of shocked to find out that for other people, empathy doesn't work in the "consciously think about how you would feel if this happened to you, it's probably similar for the other person" way. Makes me feel kind of creeped out by myself if I'm being honest.

A lot of typically autistic things like sensory overloads, stimming, etc, only seem to happen for me when I'm tired. Normally, going to the supermarket is not a problem, but I once went after a therapy session and I must have been really exhausted from that because all the sounds just came crashing down on me. Is that a thing for anybody else? My voice apparently gets more monotone the more tired I am too.

This sounds like being autistic and having went through life figuring out how to go along. I generally feel pretty tired after therapy because I invest in it and sometimes that's the most I put into really feeling anything negative or putting much thought in. Being monotone is kinda funny sometimes to me because I can say insane things and people have to figure out if I'm joking unless they know me well and have already figured out how to tell by the way I word things. Good job on learning social cues. Lots of neurotypical people can't even pick up on things that are noticable. I also think the empathy is kinda weird. I hate saying 'oh that sucks' when someone has bad news, but if I don't rationalize it from comparing then I just don't normally know how else to respond. If my friend's dad died I'd know kinda how they feel, but it would take work to understand why they are bothered by something like not going to a reuinion. Then it's impossible for me to understand why people care about people that I don't know having interactions. My wife used to get very mad because she'd tell me some story about people I didn't know that recently had something happen between them and I'd tell her I didn't care. I got better at letting her finish the story then pretty much changing the subject kuz I still didn't care if someone she knew in highschool was mad at someone she knew in highschool that I never met and she doesn't even talk to anymore.

Half an autism is hilarious and just that phrase sounds like Asperger's.
Also, I've spent too much of my life with birds not to like Cloacamazing

Quorum posted:

When a Dr met my daughter around 3 he asked her mum bout the family history and she mentioned mine and that did a lot for confirmation. He already had her pegged, but with my history it added confirmation. Autism really hasn't a long history of study and definitely the adaptable coping and masking makes it hard to have the ability to look backwards. Maybe someone was weird/execntrict or maybe they were autistic. maybe they were great at maths or maybe they were autistic. maybe they were brilliant or maybe they were autistic and just processed things a way others didn't and figured out something new. The going back in time to say 'this/that' person... that's such a poo poo thing. My son's mum had a cousin that definitely was(he was diagnosed and I'm not pretending to have a degree) and he was still far different to my father, my daughter, or myself even though similar. That's prob just him being raised by a bad parent also. Seriously, let your kids eats food.

ok i'm going to prob get more tangential so i'll gently caress off now. Prost.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am treading on the edge of an Epic Meltdown, because my work is changing SO MANY THINGS all at once. I am just crossing my fingers I can be in private when said meltdown totally happens.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am treading on the edge of an Epic Meltdown, because my work is changing SO MANY THINGS all at once. I am just crossing my fingers I can be in private when said meltdown totally happens.

Changes stress me tf out so much. Even changing the layout of a store bugs me

SetsunaMeioh
Sep 28, 2007
Mistress of the Night

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Same, I've been taking so much Ibuprofen and have barely slept this week because all the changes at my job has left me with near constant headaches.

It's especially bad when I feel like the changes are pointless (sinceost people just ignore my department's recommendations anyways.)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Those of you who discovered you were autistic as adults, how open about it are you? Do you tell old friends? New friends? Family? People you're dating?

I haven't been officially diagnosed but based on my research and some tests that I've taken I feel like I'm very very likely to be autistic but I'm not sure how open about it I would be if it was confirmed.

Researching autism was very eye-opening to me about how wrong the public perceptions of it are. Telling people you're autistic should be a positive thing that helps them better understand you but now I feel like it will instead just put a bunch of wrong ideas about me into their head.

One of my closest friends is a generally sweet, smart, kind, and progressive guy but I once mentioned that I liked a friend of his and he warned me, "You probably don't want to date her, she's autistic."

That kinda thing makes me nervous because most people are probably much worse and I don't want to be treated that way.

So far the only people I've talked to about it are my mom and dad. I told them each separately that I think I might be autistic. I was hoping for some feedback that might help but they both said basically the same thing, that they think they might be autistic too. :v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TIP posted:

Those of you who discovered you were autistic as adults, how open about it are you? Do you tell old friends? New friends? Family? People you're dating?
My wife knows, my older brother knows, and that's about it. I've given up on trying to get my parents to understand neurodiversity - when I got a diagnosis of dyspraxia at uni, my mam's answer was to advise me to 'pretend to be normal' (like I haven't been grinding myself down doing that my whole life) or I'd end up 'branded' with it. I think i've mentioned before that they disowned my uncle and that side of the family for being on benefits / 'lazy' in their words, when as I get older the more I see myself like he was.

My wife has been incredibly understanding because she's neurodiverse as well (looking more and more like adhd, but has some very autism-like sensory issues), but has always had issues herself that have led her to be patient with people who need to do stuff differently.

My older brother's always been very open minded, but not sure my younger brother would understand. The sad thing is the younger brother has kids and the school told his parents one of them has ADHD, but they haven't told him. I'm biting my lip because my exams results were hosed up by my undiagnosed stuff, but it's not my place to get involved.

Apart from that I don't tell other people. A lot of people out there will see you as an easy target if they find out. Others assume harmful poo poo about you. Others still will see you as needing help and try to take you on as a project. I'm lucky I can mask well enough that I can pass as just being an anxious weirdo, so well one of my friends works supporting autistic people and I haven't told him.

But just from things the people around me say about other autistics, I can't trust most of them not to either try and tell me I'm not auristic, or start treating me weird because of it.

TIP posted:

Researching autism was very eye-opening to me about how wrong the public perceptions of it are. Telling people you're autistic should be a positive thing that helps them better understand you but now I feel like it will instead just put a bunch of wrong ideas about me into their head.
Yeah, I started telling my GP and now every single loving thing I report to them is 'probably just oversensitivity, have some paracetamol.' And then nearly died of a chest infection because of it.

Also talking to a nurse manning the 111 line who straight up assumed all autistic people are math savants (it was something like a date and time she gave me and then said "of course you can probably tell me what day of the week that is").

Half the problem is I'm really bad at describing bodily sensations and don't use the right key words to put them in the right direction, so I found out that my medical records have been describing the dull burning sensation and feeling like something is pressing against my jaw from rhe inside as a 'headache.'

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm pretty open about it, though less than I used to be. My family knows, my friends know, my employer knows, a few colleagues even know.

It hasn't worked out 100% great with my family, my sister treats me like I'm retarded these days, so family functions aren't fun.

I also sometimes told potential employers that I'm autistic, but this invariably lead to me not getting hired, so I stopped doing it. I told my current employer after about half a year working there, he told me before that one of his own children is autistic, so I felt pretty secure in the move.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dance Officer posted:

I also sometimes told potential employers that I'm autistic, but this invariably lead to me not getting hired, so I stopped doing it. I told my current employer after about half a year working there, he told me before that one of his own children is autistic, so I felt pretty secure in the move.
In the UK there is the '2 ticks / positive about disabilities' system for larger employers, where if you meet the selection criteria for a job and declare a disability on the application, they are supposed to at least give you an interview where they can ask face-to-face how your disability would impact on the job. Employers also have to meet certain criteria to show the logo on job ads. I took advantage of this back when all I had was the dyspraxia diagnosis, and feel like it was responsible for most of the jobs I've had.

Since the autism diagnosis I haven't been working (other RSI disability reasons) but it's my understanding that a lot of major employers have either become less robust in supporting the 2 ticks system in recent years or have dropped out entirely. Either way my personal experience has been that large organisations like hospitals, local / county council, universities or any large national company with an HR department on site tends to be signed up to 2 ticks, and you tend to have a lower risk of one rogue manager either misunderstanding your needs or targetting you.

SetsunaMeioh
Sep 28, 2007
Mistress of the Night

TIP posted:

I've only told my immediate family about my dx, even though I know most of my family suspect that something is different about me. I just don't want to deal with the invalidation/stigmatizing comments from them.

However, I'm very open about this to friends and interacting with others online, since it's much easier to explain myself and it helps to gauge who I can engage with in good faith.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SetsunaMeioh posted:

However, I'm very open about this to friends and interacting with others online, since it's much easier to explain myself and it helps to gauge who I can engage with in good faith.

Pretty much this.

Also I only got my current job specifically because they were hiring ND people so there's that

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I appreciate all the responses to my question about how open you are with your autism diagnosis.

A lot of what people says echoed with my own thoughts on the matter, especially the stuff about not wanting to tell people because they can use it to abuse you or think you're an easy mark.

Honestly that's one of my biggest fears in intimate relationships. Before even suspecting autism in myself I was already very aware of many of my limitations and sensitivities and tried just openly expressing them to people I dated. This was a mistake in many instances, seems like I just taught them how to manipulate me and hurt me most effectively.

It's pretty hard to not tell them though, both because it naturally comes up during conflicts and because I just really hate keeping anything a secret and I want to put all my cards on the table immediately.

The best solution is, of course, to stop dating lovely people, but some of them are really good at hiding it for a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
My son was diagnosed ASD when he was 2. At the time he was non-verbal. He is almost 7 now and is pretty functional and communicative but still clearly ADS to people who know what it looks like (and fooling the others into thinking he's just eccentric). My life has been filled with little epiphanies ever since. RAADS-R gave me a 165, but so many of those questions were either too vague or not adequately answered by the selections given so I think that score may be trending high. I took it for funsies though; I and my wife have concluded that our son's ND is a joint genetic effort.

I'm 44 and I grew up on the Gulf Coast (ie: Deepest of the US South with every stereotype that implies (I loving love nesting parentheticals, BTW)). There was no detection or support.

Like Nesandoom I dealt with a lot of poo poo. I have PTSD from these experiences, developed some Intermittent Explosive Disorder along the way. Persistent Drive for Autonomy seems pretty spot on too (thanks!). I make slow progress with CBT, self medicate with pot for focus and anxiety, need to find a new shrink and address the celexa that I've been on for entirely too long. My younger brother started with ADHD/ADD in the 90s but beyond brain hosed by the meds he got along with his own life traumas.

Regarding comorbidities and medications has anyone experienced benefit from a full diagnosis (ASD/ADs)? Like, were there more applicable meds for the symptoms than the standard tool box of crap that just sorta but doesn't really work?

Feel like I've answered my own question.

We have been really lucky with my son's school and support. He started preschooling and several therapies at 4 and went from very little verbiage and eye contact to being very vocal, reading and mathing. Watching his developments and struggles has been informative. I know I said that at the top but I have a lot to say and learn itt.