Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grammarchist posted:

Congrats from across the pond. Hope y'all squeeze at least 1.5 happy days out of this.

This but with the GTA 'wasted' effect on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Did people love Boris or did people just deeply dislike Corbyn?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Finally with Boris out of the way the left wing can focus on it's true enemy

*Stabs himself*

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Confusedslight posted:

Did people love Boris or did people just deeply dislike Corbyn?

Rupert Murdoch and Richard Desmond hated Corbyn, so made huge numbers of people think Boris Johnson was a lovable buffoon instead of a colossal right wing prick

Edit: oh, and the Barclay twins and some other billionaires that I’ve forgotten, whose only joy in life comes from a) having lots of money and b) making sure everyone has none

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 8, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I got covid on a work trip to london and just woke up yesterday after a week of hallucinating fever and sleeping on my couch for 30 minutes every few hours.

I honestly did not expect the absolute clown show after catching up on the thread. I guess i really should have though. Hell timeline and all.

If I'd woken up to May as PM i might have believed the last 3 years were some sort of fever dream.

Given its going to be over 40 degrees next week. May as well have been back in Spain!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mebh posted:

I got covid on a work trip to london and just woke up yesterday after a week of hallucinating fever and sleeping on my couch for 30 minutes every few hours.

I honestly did not expect the absolute clown show after catching up on the thread. I guess i really should have though. Hell timeline and all.

If I'd woken up to May as PM i might have believed the last 3 years were some sort of fever dream.

Given its going to be over 40 degrees next week. May as well have been back in Spain!

Did you think you were hallucinating the coup against Boris

I need to know your fever dreams as this news was playing out as it is probably interesting

I will also say I'm glad you're okay

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cimber posted:

Good writeup. As far as the last part, imagine if a GE was called but tories Labour was not able to get enough seats to form a govt. In comes Nicola Sturgeon who offers to form a coalition government on the condition that they allow another referendum. That would be a fitting capstone on the Johnson legacy.
Let's see how long Slimer's "Wuh wull nuvur guve Scutlund unuthur rufurundum" proclamation of just this week lasts if Labour can't get a majority and the SNP are sitting right there with 45-50 precious, shiny seats.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed:

But what are the chances that Jacob Reese-Mogg takes over as head of the Tories? Who are the other contenders?

And as a foreigner I have to ask this follow up: How in gods name is that posh oval office even remotely electable? I mean he is the kind of entitled landed gentry aristo gently caress that brought his childhood nanny on the campaign trail with him. Does he just have a particularly posh electorate? How goes his popularity in the rest of the country? Surely they can see him for the insane parody of out of touch wealth and inbreeding that he so obviously is.

Zero chance even if he hadn't declared he wasn't standing for PM. I think most senior Borisites will be too tainted to get very far in the leadership battle. Truss for some reason seems to be one. Zahawi has been plotting a leadership run for ages apparently. Javid or Sunak might try and hope that their early resignations might help.

Ps Mogg isn't posh, he's larping.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed:

But what are the chances that Jacob Reese-Mogg takes over as head of the Tories?

Precisely 0%.

quote:

And as a foreigner I have to ask this follow up: How in gods name is that posh oval office even remotely electable? I mean he is the kind of entitled landed gentry aristo gently caress that brought his childhood nanny on the campaign trail with him. Does he just have a particularly posh electorate? How goes his popularity in the rest of the country? Surely they can see him for the insane parody of out of touch wealth and inbreeding that he so obviously is.

His constituency is North-East Somerset, which Wikipedia helpfully summarises thusly: "This area is marked by significant agriculture and green buffers around almost each of its settlements, which largely consist of detached and semi-detached properties, with a low rate of unemployment and negligible social housing tenancy." Basically, he's elected as MP by a bunch of farmers and very middle-class people; no poors allowed.
The rest of the country sees him as a oval office. He also only seems to be liked by other cunts in Parliament, like Jess Phillips and Boris Johnson.
That said, being an effective constituency MP can go a long way towards getting you re-elected time after time and I have no idea how helpful he (or his local team) is to his constituents.

quote:

Who are the other contenders?

This is the fun part!
This is when the dregs of the Tory party dredge themselves up from the bottom of the barrel ready for a scrap.

You've got the Are Brave Souljars types - Ben Wallace and Tom Tugendhat. Be prepared to hear about how difficult Wallace found bringing Diana's body back from Paris after her fender bender; and not that he skipped the whole junior ranks thing, going straight into the army as a Lieutenant. Tugendhat was also commissioned as an officer, but this time as a Weekend Warrior in the TA; he was a Remainer and is a big friend of Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Liz Truss is also widely expected to put her name forward. She's dumb as breeze blocks and everything she does seems like cosplay. A favourite among Tory voters - many of whom are horny-but-impotent pensioners - but remember that Tory voters don't actually get a say. Would be so bad if she won, you'd wish for the halcyon days of Boris.
There's the ethnic contenders, too. That includes Priti Patel, Sajid Javid, Nadhim Zahawi, Rishi Sunak and Suella Braverman. None of them will win because the Tory base is simply far too racist to make any of them viable candidates in a General Election. Beyond which, Sunak is hated by most Tory MPs these days and a bunch of the press.
Jeremy Hunt is an alarming outside shot. Hated by everyone who works for the NHS and - I suspect - by a lot of Tory MPs, but has done a reasonable job (if I'm being objective) of restoring his reputation with his recent book which points out how the NHS can actually be fixed. Strong Neutral Evil vibes.
Penny Mordaunt could get a look in, but I suspect she'll struggle for support if she's up against someone like Steve Baker, an absolute poo poo's arsehole of a man who is - sadly - likely a strong contender. Undoubtedly has an .xlsx document on a zip drive detailing all of his colleagues' trangressions and misdeeds, for blackmailing purposes.

I would personally love to see Grant Shapps throw his hat in the ring. He's a contender for 'stupidest man in the party', as seen by the fact he's supposedly considering running for leader despite being a joke.
Which only leaves the dark horse himself: the only person who could transcend the whole leadership race by making his candidacy known and blowing the field wide open. The one, the only: Chris Grayling

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mebh posted:

Given its going to be over 40 degrees next week.

The gently caress

Please tell me this is a typo. You mean 30, right? :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Grayling is the PM we need.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maugrim posted:

The gently caress

Please tell me this is a typo. You mean 30, right? :(

Those were the long range forecast but think that has been revised down to low 30s

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Rupert Murdoch and Richard Desmond hated Corbyn, so made huge numbers of people think Boris Johnson was a lovable buffoon instead of a colossal right wing prick

Edit: oh, and the Barclay twins and some other billionaires that I’ve forgotten, whose only joy in life comes from a) having lots of money and b) making sure everyone has none

Let’s not also forget that 2019 was the Brexit election. 90% of the country was either eager to get it done or get it over with, the Tory position was ‘Get Brexit Done’ vs Labour’s position of endless prevarication and more referenda pushed by some bloke called Keir Starmer.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That Mail front page is totally born out of their rage that this was not instigated or led by them. Anything that goes against their self-conception that they control British politics makes them furious and must be punished.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

kingturnip posted:

Jeremy Hunt is an alarming outside shot. Hated by everyone who works for the NHS and - I suspect - by a lot of Tory MPs

And teachers. It’s difficult to think of a group of people that Jeremy Hunt has interacted with in any meaningful way who don’t hate him, I genuinely don’t understand how easily that has been forgotten and he’s now viewed as some sort of steady pair of hands centrist

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

kingturnip posted:

Jeremy Hunt is an alarming outside shot. Hated by everyone who works for the NHS and - I suspect - by a lot of Tory MPs, but has done a reasonable job (if I'm being objective) of restoring his reputation with his recent book which points out how the NHS can actually be fixed. Strong Neutral Evil vibes.
Wait, what's his suggestion of 'fixing' the NHS? Sell everything down to the copper in the walls?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

kingturnip posted:

I would personally love to see Grant Shapps throw his hat in the ring. He's a contender for 'stupidest man in the party', as seen by the fact he's supposedly considering running for leader despite being a joke.
Which only leaves the dark horse himself: the only person who could transcend the whole leadership race by making his candidacy known and blowing the field wide open. The one, the only: Chris Grayling

Oh boy do I have a Newsnight clip for you (last 40 seconds)

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1545165433673863168

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scientastic posted:

And teachers. It’s difficult to think of a group of people that Jeremy Hunt has interacted with in any meaningful way who don’t hate him, I genuinely don’t understand how easily that has been forgotten and he’s now viewed as some sort of steady pair of hands centrist

Take a look at the shower of dogshit that comprises the rest of the Tory Party and that question will be answered for you.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Mental health question:

A colleague and friend with whom I've collaborated on a number of projects is currently going through a mental breakdown that we suspect is undiagnosed bipolar disorder. There is a history of mental illness and suicide in their family, and this person just started on antidepressants a couple of months ago. All was OK until their family, with whom they have a very tumultuous relationship, came to visit (my partner and I and this couple are all from other countries) and they started to spiral, increasingly drinking and smoking weed. I've never known anyone with severe mental illness before, but last time we visited them a couple of weeks ago it was obvious they were in a manic episode.

A bit over a week ago this person and their family then visited Amsterdam for what was supposed to be a few days, and they basically went on a 5-day drugs bender and really began spiraling until they refused to come back with their family, including their young child. My partner and I, who are some of their only friends in the UK, have through a very precarious negotiation process managed to coax them back here, but they are now in a hotel and refusing to see their partner and child. We thought we were on track when we arranged a GP appointment for them, but they ducked out of that at the last minute and have now began demanding that unreasonable requests be fulfilled before they will seek help.

I have two questions:

1. What options are available in this kind of situation when a person refuses treatment and potentially poses a threat to their child? This person said they want their partner to leave their shared home so that they can be alone with their young child for a few days, but they are absolutely not in the right state of mind to care for a child.

2. This person and I have for months now been working on setting up a large project which would involve us both directing about 15 or so people and delivering a product within two years, and ironically we just got sent the final contract for it in the midst of this episode. We would be legally liable to deliver it on on time within 2 years, but there is no way I could handle it on my own for even, say, 6 months of that stretch, given the amount of work involved. How long can/does recovery from a major bipolar episode like this commonly take? I'm afraid I might be saddled with a project I can't deliver on if I sign the contract now.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

forkboy84 posted:

Those were the long range forecast but think that has been revised down to low 30s

aye there was an outlier forecast that had 41-42°C that got passed around, which can easily get into "your body can no longer reliably shed excess body heat, don't do anything, stay in the shade" levels depending on humidity

luckily that's not looking likely at the moment but temperatures like that will come

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
MeinPanzer call children's social services immediately, the emergency line if your area has one. They will do everything ugly you want someone to do, which is force this person to seek help and give parental control over the child to the other parent or a grandparent. In 2022 they do everything they can to avoid putting middle class kids in care, but will 100% use that as leverage.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I hope we get loads and loads of Tory voters who never forgive them and stay home from now on. Probably not going to happen, but I can dream.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

learnincurve posted:

MeinPanzer call children's social services immediately, the emergency line if your area has one. They will do everything ugly you want someone to do, which is force this person to seek help and give parental control over the child to the other parent or a grandparent. In 2022 they do everything they can to avoid putting middle class kids in care, but will 100% use that as leverage.

Thanks. I don't know if we're quite there yet, because they're still talking to their partner, who is in their home with their child, and I'd be afraid of drastically escalating things at this stage, but we might need to pull that card next.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

Will this work?

Haha. Nice.

The Heil is always so weird. It always boggles my mind that people sincerely read it. One look at it just screams "written by insane people".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MeinPanzer posted:

Thanks. I don't know if we're quite there yet, because they're still talking to their partner, who is in their home with their child, and I'd be afraid of drastically escalating things at this stage, but we might need to pull that card next.

I'd say alert social services now so they can start to keep an eye out.

When I ended up having to 'shop' a family member with young kids to the Social, they'd been having reports from members of the public expressing concern but didn't know who the people involved were until I went in the day after boxing day one year and they were able to piece it together. (For info: no physical violence to the kids had been committed but the Social had it on their radar then).

While family member and parents were really angry with me at the time, since then they've said 'thank God you stepped in' because they were way too close and involved in the situation to see the wood for the trees.

PS I realize that the issue here is mental breakdown and the situation I was in was not quite the same though one of the people involved did have - and continues to have - mental health issues which surface from time to time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Haha. Nice.

The Heil is always so weird. It always boggles my mind that people sincerely read it. One look at it just screams "written by insane people".

It's mostly reasonably sane people doing the writing (though not all, they keep a few real maniac on staff for opinion pieces), but they really know their target audience of frothing lunatics and write for them

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The reason you should be calling social services now is that she has parental responsibility, if she calls the police and starts crying that her child has been kidnapped they are going to side with her, where as if social services have already been informed then they will back off.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
OK, thanks very much. We'll notify social services just in case something happens, because this person has started escalating their threats to their partner (kicking them out of the house, having their residence permit revoked, etc.) and it's not inconceivable now that they would do something like allege abuse to the police to get custody of their child.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Take a look at the shower of dogshit that comprises the rest of the Tory Party and that question will be answered for you.
https://twitter.com/SoundOfAGoddard/status/1544977490308988928?t=tG_-qtNB5T936-MrRkqm-g&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just want grayling back doing stupid poo poo

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

It does sadly seem to be the other way around - that a sustained note of hysterical, obviously over-the-top outrage on a different topic every single day is exactly what gets the British public buying it. It's why every other front page is now 'FURY AS...*inconsequential news story*.'

It just works for them. tragically.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

learnincurve posted:

The reason you should be calling social services now is that she has parental responsibility, if she calls the police and starts crying that her child has been kidnapped they are going to side with her, where as if social services have already been informed then they will back off.

Quick follow-up: are calls to social services anonymous? How does it work if you make a notification about someone else?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Haha. Nice.

They had a senior editor or something on Sky News yesterday who was giving running commentary before Boris' speech.
And you could see the glass sheen in his eyes when he the other commentor was calling Boris a liar and had to go.
When he got talking, it was if Boris was up for a sainthood.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MeinPanzer posted:

Quick follow-up: are calls to social services anonymous? How does it work if you make a notification about someone else?

they can be yes but they will ask for a phone number to check against the list of crank caller numbers, or you can give your full details.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My old boss had bipolar, which came to light after many years of him doing wild poo poo and eventually trying to leave his wife and run off with a student who he had basically completely hallucinated a relationship with. Getting a diagnosis and more importantly a prescription for lithium was transformative and let him really get a handle on the whole thing.

He still has big swings - periods where he would work day and night for weeks until completely exhausted, and just be an idea-generating machine (many of which were crap despite him being hyperintelligent). And then occasional weeks where he would be very visibly low-energy or disappear entirely for a few days. But mostly he's on an even keel and has a good perspective on the whole thing, checks in with his therapist from time to time and gets his blood lithium levels monitored.

So, it's definitely possible that you can work with this person, but probably only if they recognise this crisis as a rock bottom moment and commit to change and surround themselves with the right people. No guarantees though, lithium doesn't work for everyone

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had custody of my nieces for 4 years - my SIL was a non functioning alcoholic and my brother a dickhead, but she saw this as rock bottom and did everything social services said to do and ended up getting parental responsibility and the girls back.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

learnincurve posted:

they can be yes but they will ask for a phone number to check against the list of crank caller numbers, or you can give your full details.

Perfect, thanks.

quote:

My old boss had bipolar, which came to light after many years of him doing wild poo poo and eventually trying to leave his wife and run off with a student who he had basically completely hallucinated a relationship with. Getting a diagnosis and more importantly a prescription for lithium was transformative and let him really get a handle on the whole thing.

He still has big swings - periods where he would work day and night for weeks until completely exhausted, and just be an idea-generating machine (many of which were crap despite him being hyperintelligent). And then occasional weeks where he would be very visibly low-energy or disappear entirely for a few days. But mostly he's on an even keel and has a good perspective on the whole thing, checks in with his therapist from time to time and gets his blood lithium levels monitored.

So, it's definitely possible that you can work with this person, but probably only if they recognise this crisis as a rock bottom moment and commit to change and surround themselves with the right people. No guarantees though, lithium doesn't work for everyone

That sounds exactly like this person's behavior, especially over the last month or so. They're very smart, but they've become fixated on a handful of bizarre topics and just will not let them go. Last time we hung out with them before the bender they were talking about multiple hare-brained schemes they'd come up with and it was really uncomfortable having to listen along as they laid them out in detail and asked us to tell them what we thought.

The situation is uncomfortable because this person has a permanent job while I'm on a fixed contract, is technically in a more senior position to me, had a significant say in having my current contract extended, and very well may again be on a committee that determines whether I get a permanent job at the current organization I work for. I organized a major event with them back in May and I ended up shouldering a tonne of the organizing work for it but was nervous to call this person out because of the power imbalance. This whole scenario has now just made this even more fraught, and has made me seriously second guess taking on this next major project.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Finally with Boris out of the way the left wing can focus on it's true enemy

*Stabs himself*

Left wing (so not Keir and his buddies running the party now, because they are Not That) infighting was surprisingly absent back when we had hope, tbh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MeinPanzer posted:

Perfect, thanks.

That sounds exactly like this person's behavior, especially over the last month or so. They're very smart, but they've become fixated on a handful of bizarre topics and just will not let them go. Last time we hung out with them before the bender they were talking about multiple hare-brained schemes they'd come up with and it was really uncomfortable having to listen along as they laid them out in detail and asked us to tell them what we thought.

The situation is uncomfortable because this person has a permanent job while I'm on a fixed contract, is technically in a more senior position to me, had a significant say in having my current contract extended, and very well may again be on a committee that determines whether I get a permanent job at the current organization I work for. I organized a major event with them back in May and I ended up shouldering a tonne of the organizing work for it but was nervous to call this person out because of the power imbalance. This whole scenario has now just made this even more fraught, and has made me seriously second guess taking on this next major project.

It may be that others higher up in your organization realize something is up already. However, you need to protect yourself too. Draw up your workplace redlines and cast an eye around for other possibilities in case it comes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

aye there was an outlier forecast that had 41-42°C that got passed around, which can easily get into "your body can no longer reliably shed excess body heat, don't do anything, stay in the shade" levels depending on humidity

luckily that's not looking likely at the moment but temperatures like that will come

https://twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/status/1544797006119538689