Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not to defend cyclical comics being cyclical, but I seem to recall that the current Clayface is a new Clayface and that the Clayface that turned good in Tynion's run is still being pretty good last time we saw?

A quick search tells me there are eight friggin' Clayfaces so I guess worst case scenario just no-prize this bad Clayface as one of the seven that isn't Basil Karlo v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't there like a dozen Claysface anyway

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol at overhyped Marvel writer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah he also does overhyped independent projects and unfunny tweets. Don’t pigeonhole him

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Catwoman backup might be good, but the implication that she had slept with the thief in her ongoing feels extremely off.

The Poison Ivy book otoh, seems to be a really good character piece especially in how it looks at someone who began to approach Swamp Thing levels in their powers before getting shunted back to near street level and how that's affected her.

The Joker ended and to no surprise he's still in the wind, but so is Bane who now has a protege. Also Punchline is still around which sucks. i wish Dark Crisis would end already though. God it's awful.

DC vs. Vampires is way more dark and brutal than DCeased and I'm still kinda mixed on it as it's not quite had its own standout takes that make it unique like DCeased did with GL Canary and such.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

As much as I dislike Tom King at least he finally had Bruce and Selina marry, but did it too late so now apparently his stuff is out of continuity. I would much rather they just have those two together, and I think the majority of fans do too. Her sleeping with someone else does feel weird now.

Dark Crisis is dumb but they had the correct outcome of the Nightwing and Deathstroke fight, so I'll give that to them.

and yeah, count me in as hating Punchline. They're making Harper look terrible in an attempt to prop up this dumb villain who's already like a mastermind and five steps ahead and her plans never fail and it sucks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Jason Todd disappears for nearly a years worth of issues only to reappear and maybe murder a dude (which is bad when someone who isn't batman does it!!!!!) then has his entire personality changed so he could get beaten to death by joker. The same joker who just did the killing joke.

Batman of course does not kill joker even though a couple of months earlier in universe batman killed kgbeast as far as anyone including himself knew.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The end of The Joker gives Jim Gordon the opportunity to kill The Joker but he decides not to and finds peace with that decision in that he finds that his morals did win over his desire for justice or something. His future is lined up as becoming a private detective alongside Bullock.

Edit: Other things from The Joker: Gordon knows that Barbra is Batgirl now. James Jr. got turned into a Talon, but was subdued by Babs with him being not brainwashed now on the to-do list. As mentioned before, Bane has a new protege who was engineered as a proof of concept in trying to engineer supervillains as a way to distract cape attention while other people do subtler crimes in the shadows. Bane and her left to go depose the Santa Priscan gov't that helped fund her creation.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 8, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bullock is a very underused character in modern batman. He is a very good foil to Gordon when written properly.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What is going on with Dark Crisis? I’m reading on the app so I’m 6 months behind

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Joe Fisto posted:

Didn't Clayface die and then come back as if the rehabilitation hadn't happened? I haven't been consistently reading Bat books.

He faked his death and lost most of his powers, but I guess since I completely memoryholed Dark Knights: Metal, that's when he "came back" helping Damian. His next appearance after that was being a good guy during Fear State, fighting off Peacekeepers and protecting Ivy--who is just a one-woman Aum Shinrikyo now, so big oof. And while I guess it could be another Clayface, the only other Clayface that has appeared in years was Lady Clayface. Sorry if this digression has gone on weirdly long, this is just how comic books are, but it wasn’t even that long ago and it's highlighted when the author fellates continuity that "matters", and DitF gets laid on so thick it's become a punchline, but everything else gets the antagonist Mad Libs treatment.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Beerdeer posted:

What is going on with Dark Crisis? I’m reading on the app so I’m 6 months behind
So far, not a lot. Black Adam saw the Justice League "die" fighting Team Great Darkness, but they're probably all just stuck in their own separate ideal dream worlds. But Adam thinks they're dead and that's what he told everyone back on Earth, and they all just believe him, although Wally West is gonna go out searching for them.

Deathstroke (who is somehow being controlled by Pariah who is somehow being controlled by the Great Darkness, idk) gathers a bunch of villains together and attacks Titans Tower and almost succeeds in killing Nightwing, but is ordered by Pariah to withdraw at the last minute and to not actually kill any heroes for some as-yet-unexplained reason, even though his parting words are also that legacy is dead and that it's open season on superheroes...I dunno it's weird and confusing. Oh also I guess Slade knows Nightwing is Dick Grayson? Is that important? That feels pretty important but it was also kind of a throwaway line. Beast Boy got shot in the head in the first issue but he's actually fine because of him being a shapeshifter sooooo that was all kind of a waste of everyone's time.

Oh in the meantime Jon Kent's been trying to put a new Justice League together but in the aftermath of Deathstroke's attack, Black Adam decides that no one else is ready to lead a new League so he's gonna do it.

Most importantly, Kyle Rayner is back! Hal and Jo Mullein pick him up from some rando alien ship and regroups with the rest of the GLC in order to take the fight to the Great Darkness or whatever. Jessica Cruz is back to being a GL despite being a Yellow Lantern last time we saw her.

Stay tuned for the riveting third issue!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A battered Nightwing actually beats Slade first. But then Slade is all like "who do I fight next from all these other canon fodder losers?" and Dick tells him to just kill him if that will get him to leave the rest alone. Jon shows up just in time to stop the bullet and save Nightwing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

Deathstroke (who is somehow being controlled by Pariah who is somehow being controlled by the Great Darkness, idk) gathers a bunch of villains together and attacks Titans Tower and almost succeeds in killing Nightwing, but is ordered by Pariah to withdraw at the last minute and to not actually kill any heroes for some as-yet-unexplained reason, even though his parting words are also that legacy is dead and that it's open season on superheroes...I dunno it's weird and confusing. Oh also I guess Slade knows Nightwing is Dick Grayson? Is that important? That feels pretty important but it was also kind of a throwaway line. Beast Boy got shot in the head in the first issue but he's actually fine because of him being a shapeshifter sooooo that was all kind of a waste of everyone's time.

Unless somehow he has forgotten Slade has known Nightwing true identity since the Judas contract

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Unless somehow he has forgotten Slade has known Nightwing true identity since the Judas contract

There's been at least 3 continuity resets since then though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

There's been at least 3 continuity resets since then though.

Yeah but that one has definitely not been reset in current continuity since geoforce mentioned that storyline when he turned heel

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

The end of The Joker gives Jim Gordon the opportunity to kill The Joker but he decides not to and finds peace with that decision in that he finds that his morals did win over his desire for justice or something. His future is lined up as becoming a private detective alongside Bullock.

Edit: Other things from The Joker: Gordon knows that Barbra is Batgirl now. James Jr. got turned into a Talon, but was subdued by Babs with him being not brainwashed now on the to-do list. As mentioned before, Bane has a new protege who was engineered as a proof of concept in trying to engineer supervillains as a way to distract cape attention while other people do subtler crimes in the shadows. Bane and her left to go depose the Santa Priscan gov't that helped fund her creation.

You left out that Jim inherited a ton of money off a Court of Owls lady and has a bunch of leads to take down some vague Illuminati-esque crime organization (named pretty uncreatively "The Network") so that's what he's doing.

I didn't totally like the ending because I wanted Joker dead like a whole lot of people both in-universe and out, but if you'd told me a year ago The Joker would wind up being one of my favorite comics I'd have laughed in your face.

The Punchline backup loving sucks so bad though and I wish it didn't end with another all too painfully true moral(? I guess?) of "people today are so loving stupid and easy to manipulate via social media that they'll let a supervillain walk free" because I get enough reminders of that in the actual real world.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 8, 2022

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Codependent Poster posted:

A battered Nightwing actually beats Slade first. But then Slade is all like "who do I fight next from all these other canon fodder losers?" and Dick tells him to just kill him if that will get him to leave the rest alone. Jon shows up just in time to stop the bullet and save Nightwing.

I actually popped for the panel where Jon shows up, so the series did that right at least.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BrianWilly posted:

Most importantly, Kyle Rayner is back! Hal and Jo Mullein pick him up from some rando alien ship and regroups with the rest of the GLC in order to take the fight to the Great Darkness or whatever. Jessica Cruz is back to being a GL despite being a Yellow Lantern last time we saw her.

FryAndZapAlternatelySmilingAndUpset.gif

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

So far, not a lot. Black Adam saw the Justice League "die" fighting Team Great Darkness, but they're probably all just stuck in their own separate ideal dream worlds. But Adam thinks they're dead and that's what he told everyone back on Earth, and they all just believe him, although Wally West is gonna go out searching for them.

Oh in the meantime Jon Kent's been trying to put a new Justice League together but in the aftermath of Deathstroke's attack, Black Adam decides that no one else is ready to lead a new League so he's gonna do it.

Wally's only looking for Barry because they can still sense him and tell he's alive. No one knows the Barry got Pariah'd just like the JL. Though the covers imply Barry's not going to take too kindly to Wally showing up to try to "save" him from his own personal heaven.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

You left out that Jim inherited a ton of money off a Court of Owls lady and has a bunch of leads to take down some vague Illuminati-esque crime organization (named pretty uncreatively "The Network") so that's what he's doing.

I didn't totally like the ending because I wanted Joker dead like a whole lot of people both in-universe and out, but if you'd told me a year ago The Joker would wind up being one of my favorite comics I'd have laughed in your face.

The Punchline backup loving sucks so bad though and I wish it didn't end with another all too painfully true moral(? I guess?) of "people today are so loving stupid and easy to manipulate via social media that they'll let a supervillain walk free" because I get enough reminders of that in the actual real world.

I choose to believe that the real throughline of the Joker comic is Jim Gordon realizing that "actually the problem is all these rich fuckers who enable and/or profit off of this poo poo" and that's why he sets up as a PI at the end instead of going back to the cops, because Jim Gordon has realized that ACAB

thus, he has truly become a hero

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't wait till he goes after noted gotham billionaire bruce wayne

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

site posted:

Is he still a billionaire though? I think he's merely a millionaire at this point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

As I have read more and more batman I have come to the realization that Bruce Wayne loving sucks. All the Robin's, Batgirl, catwoman, villains not named joker, and supporting cast are better and more interesting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

As I have read more and more batman I have come to the realization that Bruce Wayne loving sucks. All the Robin's, Batgirl, catwoman, villains not named joker, and supporting cast are better and more interesting.

You might be right. I think the only time I really liked Batman in the comics on his own was during Grant Morrison's run. But besides that, I much prefer Nightwing or any of the Batgirls or any of the Robins.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Is he still a billionaire though? I think he's merely a millionaire at this point.

Yeah, he's merely rich, not mega-rich like he used to be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh no did he invest in crypto

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I heard he went hard on batcoin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty sure Dick has more money than Bruce now since he inherited all of Alfred's hidden wealth. Joker divested most of the Wayne wealth during Joker War (Catwoman got it back and gave it to Lucius Fox though). Bruce now lives in a regular upscale neighborhood with a bunch of people that don't like him and operates of out small Batcaves across the city he had as backups.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

oh no did he invest in crypto

I’d put my money on Superman’s dog too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Superdogecoin

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Xelkelvos posted:

DC vs. Vampires is way more dark and brutal than DCeased and I'm still kinda mixed on it as it's not quite had its own standout takes that make it unique like DCeased did with GL Canary and such.

There's been a distinct shift between #6 and #7, which feels to me like it marks the point where Tynion stepped back and Rosenberg took a larger role. It's gotten bigger and much, much dumber, in a way that can't not remind me of Rosenberg's run on Uncanny X-Men.

There are a lot of really questionable plot elements (the vampires blotted out the sun with a massive cloud of smoke, which isn't a sustainable solution, and seems like the last thing you'd do if you were trying to "farm" humans; multiple characters have been vamped despite being aliens, gods, magic, or Plastic Man), characters are dying like flies, and everyone with a speaking role's relationships are strictly built on hostility, violence, or grudging cooperation.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Batman in blackface

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wanderer posted:

There's been a distinct shift between #6 and #7, which feels to me like it marks the point where Tynion stepped back and Rosenberg took a larger role. It's gotten bigger and much, much dumber, in a way that can't not remind me of Rosenberg's run on Uncanny X-Men.

There are a lot of really questionable plot elements (the vampires blotted out the sun with a massive cloud of smoke, which isn't a sustainable solution, and seems like the last thing you'd do if you were trying to "farm" humans; multiple characters have been vamped despite being aliens, gods, magic, or Plastic Man), characters are dying like flies, and everyone with a speaking role's relationships are strictly built on hostility, violence, or grudging cooperation.

They already handwaved a bunch of it in Superman's case (alien) and for a good period just used hypnosis on WW (magic/divine). The rules for vampirism weren't really well established either (it's presumably magical which is probably why it doesn't care about aliens or meta abilities, but how a particular type of alien blood can mask it doesn't jibe with that and that's not getting into the issues with the Harley special that involves Lex Luthor's blood and Harley somehow ingesting/injecting herself with it to transfer the effects) and the reveal even towards the beginning just sorta comes out of nowhere. Dick being the king of vampires is certainly a weird thing that's also not super well set up but it's just sorta dropped there for everyone to just accept.

As for the relationships of the current cast, it's at least a little reasonable in that everyone's sorta split on direction with GA trying to focus on saving people rather than doing more big picture stuff like trying to recharge Supergirl to get another heavy hitter or Batgirl wanting to killing Dick Grayson. It's a tense situation so obviously everyone's on edge.

It's also hard to not compare it to DCeased where the virus in that case was very clearly well established as something beyond technology and magic with transmission being well defined. There's no hemming and hawing about duplicity and covert stuff. Just straight to the pathos and pulp and everything sorta follows through logically. With DCvV, I think they started with wanting to have a Vampire Apocalypse and may some other particular scenes they wanted to include (Hal with the blender construct for example) and then wrote backwards leading to some of these weird holes in the plot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr Hootington posted:

Batman in blackface

I'm not sure why, but that disguise reminds me of Evelyn Cream in Miracleman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

They really think a billionaire is a friggin communist spy?
No wait, it was the 70s-80s and Wayne Enterprises tried to help the poor, of course they'd accuse him of communism.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

They really think a billionaire is a friggin communist spy?
No wait, it was the 70s-80s and Wayne Enterprises tried to help the poor, of course they'd accuse him of communism.

This was March of 89

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Mr Hootington posted:

This was March of 89

Much appreciated.