Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oh poo poo Shinzo's dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It may be that others higher up in your organization realize something is up already. However, you need to protect yourself too. Draw up your workplace redlines and cast an eye around for other possibilities in case it comes to it.

I doubt it; I work most closely with this person out of all my colleagues, and this all kicked off over the last month and a half, which has been a quiet period in my workplace.

What can I realistically do to protect myself in this situation without informing other colleagues of what's going on and violating this person's privacy?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Apparently this iscould be the result of the £200k spent redecorating Boris' flat

https://twitter.com/lokiesteve/status/1545323080507133956

fuctifino posted:

That pic isn't of the flat, it's an example of the type of poo poo produced by the interior designer Carrie chose.

Convex fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 8, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aipsh posted:

Oh poo poo Shinzo's dead

I see you're trying to give us ideas about Boris, but yes https://twitter.com/NHKWORLD_News/status/1545329132539707393

Shotgunned in the back, initial whispers that it's by a fascist who was mad Abe didn't do enough

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I like the rug and the end table. Not sure about the tapestry of the obese leopard with karl marxs face but it's not my flat

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Shameless self tweet but
https://twitter.com/ripeacsky/status/1545332101872029696

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

MeinPanzer posted:

I doubt it; I work most closely with this person out of all my colleagues, and this all kicked off over the last month and a half, which has been a quiet period in my workplace.

What can I realistically do to protect myself in this situation without informing other colleagues of what's going on and violating this person's privacy?

There comes a time when you can't keep secrets like this. They have a duty of care to their employee and to you, and you have a duty to both the company and to be honest yourself to let them know. It's already impeding your work - for example it would be daft to sign that contract as things stand.

Protecting him will likely not help you and I doubt very much his manager is as oblivious as you might presume. You don't need to lay out every detail but I would let them know, possibly after informing him you're going to do so.

Do you have a union you can speak to?

Edit: One thing to add of course is that you're not a doctor (unless you are), if you tell someone at work frame it as a work issue because it's affecting their work and yours. What is causing the issues can be up to them to establish. If you need to add something you could say - knowing them personally I am concerned that they are struggling with their mental health but I would not want to breach their trust by discussing that further.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 8, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't be a tattle tale is one of the worst things boomers inflicted upon our generation, and it was entirely designed to stop kids speaking out about abusive toxic poo poo perpetuated by a generation that also mocked it's children for needing glasses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MeinPanzer posted:

I hate to say it, but start with arse-covering re the new project. Emails detailing exactly what your role will be, especially if he doesn't put things in writing!

Example:

"Following our discussion this morning re New Project this is just to set down what I believe we agreed our roles are:
I will

. do this
. do that
. do the other.

And you will
. do this
. do that
. do the other.

Please let me know if I have got that wrong."

Then weekly:

"Progress report on New Project:
I have done a, b, c.
I haven't done d because I'm waiting on e."

Good practice anyway if the new project is as big / important as you have indicated.

(I think I'm going to have to start doing this with my own job soon! Not because of arse-covering but because I am routinely working considerably more than my paid hours with no financial or time-off compo! We're all in the same boat though so different to your situation. Got one important project to push through this month, then I'm getting in to this.)

Oct 4, 2005

Convex posted:

Apparently this is the result of the £200k spent redecorating Boris' flat

loving hell, its like living inside a clowns rectum.

You know when you've done everything in the sims, have the infinite money cheat and you decide to just build the most garish house you can? Then set it on fire?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Apparently this is the result of the £200k spent redecorating Boris' flat

Looks like blood spatter & brain matter EVERYWHERE!!!... except the floor. :fourloko:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

1965917 posted:

loving hell, its like living inside a clowns rectum.

You know when you've done everything in the sims, have the infinite money cheat and you decide to just build the most garish house you can? Then set it on fire?

Is this really real though?
When I first saw it I assumed it was a joke!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
that sofa is the base from a child's box bed with some bad fabric on it lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its to hide the spaff stains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Haha. Nice.

The Heil is always so weird. It always boggles my mind that people sincerely read it. One look at it just screams "written by insane people".

Unfortunately there are a lot of seemingly insane people in the country who want validation.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Zalakwe posted:

There comes a time when you can't keep secrets like this. They have a duty of care to their employee and to you, and you have a duty to both the company and to be honest yourself to let them know. It's already impeding your work - for example it would be daft to sign that contract as things stand.

Protecting him will likely not help you and I doubt very much his manager is as oblivious as you might presume. You don't need to lay out every detail but I would let them know, possibly after informing him you're going to do so.

I don't want to give too much away, I and this person are both in academia, so A) everyone involved is pretty autonomous and there isn't much oversight, B) this kicked off over summer break, and C) the head of our department just left for another job and won't officially be replaced until next month, so we basically only have a line manager on paper right now.

quote:

Do you have a union you can speak to?

Unfortunately no.

Edit: to clarify, this person isn't technically my superior -- we are both officially lecturers -- but they have a permanent job, while I'm on a temporary contract. They have, however, previously sat on a search committee that awarded me a contract extension, and there is a distinct possibility that they will again be on another search committee for a permanent job that is slated to come up in a few months and for which I am currently the leading internal candidate.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 8, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Someone elsewhere noted that Labour are probably going to put the Tories in a box by going for a VonC on BoJo not leaving immediately. Force the Tories to defend the indefensible "He's good enough to stay, until we kick him out in the autumn."

Best Comedy Option: VONC fails, Boris declares "The party has spoken, that they DO have confidence in me", and rescinds his resignation."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That pic isn't of the flat, it's an example of the type of poo poo produced by the interior designer Carrie chose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

That said, interior designers normally have to work to client's spec so Carrie must have wanted whatever they ended up with.

One of my relatives qualified in Interior Design and after about a year quit doing it because she couldn't stand the kind of things clients were asking her to do because they offended her taste. Turns out working for clients is a bit different to using your imagination in your degree finals exhibition.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

I don't want to give too much away, I and this person are both in academia, so A) everyone involved is pretty autonomous and there isn't much oversight, B) this kicked off over summer break, and C) the head of our department just left for another job and won't officially be replaced until next month, so we basically only have a line manager on paper right now.

Hmm, that does sound complicated and you're a loyal friend but I don't think it's helping you or him right now.

He needs help with his stuff, you are not able to hold it for him any more. I would suggest going with my edit above. If you join a union I think they would help you, particularly if it's active on campus already.

Edit: The tenure thing makes it even harder, but you can't sustain this situation for months otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it. If this all comes to light I think it's likely he will be taking some time off rather than sitting on selection panels.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 8, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Actual, sourced news this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62092203

quote:

A wedding party for Boris Johnson and his wife Carrie will no longer be held at the prime minister's country house following criticism of the venue choice.

Newspaper reports said plans had been made for a party at Chequers in July.

A No 10 source told the BBC "nothing had been 100% firmed up" and an alternative location will now be used.

:confuoot:

edit: great pic choice in the mail here

Convex fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 8, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Zalakwe posted:

Hmm, that does sound complicated and you're a loyal friend but I don't think it's helping you or him right now.

He needs help with his stuff, you are not able to hold it for him any more. I would suggest going with my edit above. If you join a union I think they would help you, particularly if it's active on campus already.

Edit: The tenure thing makes it even harder, but you can't sustain this situation for months otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it. If this all comes to light I think it's likely he will be taking some time off rather than sitting on selection panels.

Thanks for the advice. I just joined the main union in our department (which I've been meaning to do for a while now but never got around to), so I'll consult with them about what sort of protections I might have.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Procure4Health/status/1545159068259684353

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Good archive of the horrendous poo poo the media got up to to push Boris on us here.

https://twitter.com/zinovievletter/status/1545024290852061185

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Thanks for the advice. I just joined the main union in our department (which I've been meaning to do for a while now but never got around to), so I'll consult with them about what sort of protections I might have.

Good luck with it, it sounds really hard and nothing I have written is exactly gospel but ultimately we can't be responsible for other people's mental health and don't need to carry those burdens around.

I hope the union have good advice and both you and your friend get through ok.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The analogy I often use is "best terminal disease to die of" - You don't want any of them, Like REALLY don't want any of them - but you may well want slow and painless over quick and agonizing.
Boris is the latter.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I actually like the No 10 decor, looks like a comfy place to rip a bong and listen to some Boris (the band).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keep punching joe posted:

I actually like the No 10 decor, looks like a comfy place to rip a bong and listen to some Boris (the band).

good thing you helped pay for it then...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

good thing you helped pay for it then...

Boris paid for it.

Which is funny now he has to leave it all behind.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/adam_crampsie/status/1545155805481246723

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Everywhere is a good place for listening to Boris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bREC4gvH5Gw

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Convex posted:

Apparently this iscould be the result of the £200k spent redecorating Boris' flat

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I think had Johnson not resigned yesterday, he would have (almost to a certainty) used the Abe assassination as an extremely tenuous justification to hold on.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

Good archive of the horrendous poo poo the media got up to to push Boris on us here.

https://twitter.com/zinovievletter/status/1545024290852061185

That thread made me queasy.

Oct 4, 2005

bessantj posted:

All these years later and I'm still loving furious.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

bessantj posted:

Yeah. Thought it would be funny - wasn’t.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1545355968975880193?s=20&t=_H1A4hElD6XIGTRZGPOwsA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Getting 'final scene from Brian Yuzna's Society' vibes from this

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Torn between wanting a quick leadership contest to gently caress Boris off and the fun of yet another election or wanting the most convoluted, interminable contest with 700 candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hope Boris tries to run in it and gets yeeted in the first round.