Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently the 5SC isn't running in passively cooled mode when idle and fully charged?

Anyone here has experience with the BackUPS Pro series from APC? They seem to do proper sinewave.

https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/BR1500MS2/apc-backups-pro-1500s-1500va-120v-sinewave-avr-lcd-2-usb-charging-ports-10-nema-outlets-4-surge/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

You want what now? Can you explain this in a bit more detail?

I spec these things for datacenters as a course of my job and I've never heard of such a thing. Are you talking about something that can take 120v as well as 208/220 and has some manner of inlet cord that is detachable, probably with a C14 or similar on it? And you're saying that's actually a thing that commonly exists?
A PSU or UPS that can accept 120VAC 60 Hz or 220-240VAC 50 Hz. The Supermicro PSUs I have I think have a physical switch that can toggle to switch between the two international residential AC standards. IEC 60320 C13 connector is on the PSU. I’m not talking US 240V NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 types at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, there are switchable PSUs. Any of them that actually require flipping a switch are super old but that's besides the point. Nationality/location of such voltage is irrelevant, and most modern power supplies will happy accept anything between 100 to 240 volts and 50 to 60 Hz without complaint or changing of switches.

This is most definitely not a thing at all for UPSes. You must match the supply voltage properly with the UPS you are buying. The ONLY "multi voltage" UPSes you are likely to find are oddball SMB ones in the US that take 220/240 (maybe 208, depends) and provide 120v as well as 220/240v via peeling off a phase.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I was afraid of that being the case for UPSes. Guess it's better to search in a respective country for UPSes in particular. Wonder what the engineering constraints are exactly, maybe the voltage outputs from batteries are just that much of a problem while for PSUs accepting a range of input voltages is really easy comparatively.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

necrobobsledder: Can I guess that your use is something like "I have a wheeled rack of gear, and I'd like to ship it to some foreign country and back and have it work by just swapping the power lead into the UPS"? (Where the gear itself isn't overly picky about voltage and frequency)
Or is the gear itself picky, so you'd also like "always output 120V/60Hz"?

Not that I can help you at all; I'm just wondering if I'm understanding it right. :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Needing a gigantic multi-tap transformer that is somehow user switchable is the first problem. It would be approximately the size and weight of the rest of the UPS and I'm not able to think of a single use case where better solutions don't already exist.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're probably better off at that point trying to do everything with DC and getting a UPS that can accept multiple input voltages and then only has to worry about doing -48v DC out.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

"I have a wheeled rack of gear, and I'd like to ship it to some foreign country and back and have it work by just swapping the power lead into the UPS"? (Where the gear itself isn't overly picky about voltage and frequency)
Or is the gear itself picky, so you'd also like "always output 120V/60Hz"?
I don't want to have to re-buy a UPS and reconfigure it for my 12U rack's equipment if I ship it off to another country for colo or residential environments at least. I know most colo facilities will have their own PDUs and charge by rack space but knowing the shoddy state of colo hosting in general I'd rather rely upon my own UPS if possible. There's enough things to worry about when dealing with shipping stuff around.

Edit: The cost of shipping may be so high though I might not care and re-purchase everything and re-assemble elsewhere. I just hate buying equipment all over again but that's our global economic system I guess.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 4, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't want to have to re-buy a UPS and reconfigure it for my 12U rack's equipment if I ship it off to another country for colo or residential environments at least. I know most colo facilities will have their own PDUs and charge by rack space but knowing the shoddy state of colo hosting in general I'd rather rely upon my own UPS if possible. There's enough things to worry about when dealing with shipping stuff around.

Edit: The cost of shipping may be so high though I might not care and re-purchase everything and re-assemble elsewhere. I just hate buying equipment all over again but that's our global economic system I guess.

Okay, now you're off on something else here. No colo is going to let you bring in your own UPS. And if you actually wanted redundancy you'd need at least two so you could run one on an A feed and one on a B feed.

Furthermore, equipment at colos is rarely moved. You put it in service and it gets scrapped at the end of its life.

I don't know what scenario you've built up here, but it's not realistic. You also don't seem to know "the state of colo hosting" at all.

The cost of the equipment is absolutely negligible compared to what you pay for space, power, environmental and connectivity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The cost of shipping a UPS between 120v / 240v locations, which generally involves crossing an ocean, is going to be more than the value left in a UPS by the time you have to do that. I had a fault on an APC battery and there was no service stock available, so APC air freighted me a new UPS from France to the UK and then air freighted the old UPS back to France. Pricing the service up on DHLs website came to something like $300 each way.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Okay, now you're off on something else here. No colo is going to let you bring in your own UPS. And if you actually wanted redundancy you'd need at least two so you could run one on an A feed and one on a B feed.

Furthermore, equipment at colos is rarely moved. You put it in service and it gets scrapped at the end of its life.

I don't know what scenario you've built up here, but it's not realistic. You also don't seem to know "the state of colo hosting" at all.

The cost of the equipment is absolutely negligible compared to what you pay for space, power, environmental and connectivity.
I've managed anywhere from 3 to 12 48U worth of equipment professionally at 3 different companies through colo providers peered under Equinix and am expecting to not pay anywhere near that much for my own stuff, which puts me into total garbage tier colos where I don't trust them to do much besides hook up some power and run a few Cisco ASA commands that get botched on occasion. I mean seriously, it's mom & pop with a 48U tier I'm looking at, which isn't representative of the state of colocation as a whole. Seriously, it's maybe a max of like $250 / mo budget for everything which is an order magnitude lower cost than the worst provider I was working with that was so incompetent they took 3 months of tickets to realize their uplinks were set to 1 GbE and not the 10 GbE we were paying for. It really isn't a huge deal for me if these servers go offline. Maybe it's better if I just stick with my redundant PSU setup and call it good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you're going to go with a tier of colo provider that will not notice you bringing in your own (used!) UPSes you might as well save your money and just run your poo poo at home on a 4g hotspot. Because that place _will_ have a fire sooner rather than later.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

necrobobsledder posted:

I've managed anywhere from 3 to 12 48U worth of equipment professionally at 3 different companies through colo providers peered under Equinix and am expecting to not pay anywhere near that much for my own stuff, which puts me into total garbage tier colos where I don't trust them to do much besides hook up some power and run a few Cisco ASA commands that get botched on occasion. I mean seriously, it's mom & pop with a 48U tier I'm looking at, which isn't representative of the state of colocation as a whole. Seriously, it's maybe a max of like $250 / mo budget for everything which is an order magnitude lower cost than the worst provider I was working with that was so incompetent they took 3 months of tickets to realize their uplinks were set to 1 GbE and not the 10 GbE we were paying for. It really isn't a huge deal for me if these servers go offline. Maybe it's better if I just stick with my redundant PSU setup and call it good.

I've had a great experience with Dedicated.com so far. It's $80/month and in California, so certainly budget tier. I've had no issues though and they were very helpful with the onboarding process.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fletcher posted:

I've had a great experience with Dedicated.com so far. It's $80/month and in California, so certainly budget tier. I've had no issues though and they were very helpful with the onboarding process.

They're just a Coresite customer who's reseling space in their suites/cages. So it's an actual class A colo facility, not some janky converted warehouse.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I’m explicitly not going to run anything at home besides my purely personal computing equipment, employer provided equipment, and smart stuff as a strict policy, so running a 4G hotspot from home is out of the question. The most nerdy thing I’m hoping to have on me is an Odroid device or two stuck in a closet.

fletcher posted:

That looks pretty reasonable for the 3U pricing and I should check my peak power and current draw to be absolutely sure. I wish they had a bit more European POPs but I’ll keep looking around for any suggestions to host a 3U of a bunch of drives that is somewhat ok if it all blew up because I’ll still do back-ups elsewhere of the most critical data.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's an affordable and available NAS device on the market that's affordable enough for me on a budget to justify buying two of, so I can have one at my apartment for local backups of my files/projects, and a second one I'd plunk at my parent's place to put in a closet somewhere as remote storage? I'd wager 6-10 TB of storage would fit my long term needs before accounting for RAID setups.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The X99 WS/IPMI has a positively prehistoric BMC that still wants you to use JNLP, which has been removed from mainline Java SE for a while. Previously I didn't really have any luck with the "JNLP compatibility layers" I tried, I just ended up building a windows XP vm and installing whatever java version looked contemporary for the launch (late 2014).

I'll probably just install the OS with a keyboard like a pleb for now but, does anyone have a more graceful solution than that? is there some kind of generic lower-level way to interact with it like ipmitools? idk if that does kvm... and this is not a recent fork.

I guess maybe the thing it might do is actual tty serial redirection, just open a terminal and there might be a generic ipmitools way to reroute that? The "console redirection" is more java console poo poo though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

My old IBM x3650 just up and dropped one of the raid configs, the drives are all still good but they're just no longer listed as being part of an array.

Anyone have experience with getting it to recognize the array again?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Paul MaudDib posted:

The X99 WS/IPMI has a positively prehistoric BMC that still wants you to use JNLP, which has been removed from mainline Java SE for a while. Previously I didn't really have any luck with the "JNLP compatibility layers" I tried, I just ended up building a windows XP vm and installing whatever java version looked contemporary for the launch (late 2014).

I'll probably just install the OS with a keyboard like a pleb for now but, does anyone have a more graceful solution than that? is there some kind of generic lower-level way to interact with it like ipmitools? idk if that does kvm... and this is not a recent fork.

I guess maybe the thing it might do is actual tty serial redirection, just open a terminal and there might be a generic ipmitools way to reroute that? The "console redirection" is more java console poo poo though.

The JNLP for my ASRock board uses md5 for it's certificate, which is insecure. I wasn't able to see how to disable the check for that algorithm in windows but for my Linux laptop I found the settings file without much trouble. I think I have icedtea 8 but it's been a bit since I needed it. JNLP is still supported by Java IIRC.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
JNLP is supported still but I think it’s applets that are what’s been removed because the JSRB working with browsers has been an exercise in pain for everyone

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
By way of an update: while TrueNAS scale looks super promising, it's currently for want of a better term, hopelessly hosed. I've spent the last 3 days fighting against a UI and Kubernetes solution that breaks repeatedly, a migration process that they advertise as being totally sorted but isn't, and an absolute dearth of available knowledge on the platform. Yeah it's "beta", but they really undersold how finicky it is.

Running the hell away from FreeBSD is the right move though, and if they get the container system working again it should be a hell of a lot nicer to use than the current experience on Core. I'm going to wait for the upcoming July 7 hotfix and decide whether to stick with it, or shift everything onto an Ubuntu LTS server, as I was finding myself using the VM on my core install to do practically everything. Docker is so much nicer to work with than iocage, but dealing with passing storage through via NFS made me want to kill myself.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's an affordable and available NAS device on the market that's affordable enough for me on a budget to justify buying two of, so I can have one at my apartment for local backups of my files/projects, and a second one I'd plunk at my parent's place to put in a closet somewhere as remote storage? I'd wager 6-10 TB of storage would fit my long term needs before accounting for RAID setups.

Keep in mind that drives also need to be replaced regularly, every 4-5 years or so. Having an off-site backup like that (unless it is online 24/7?) would be cumbersome I think. Backups should be created regularly, and also verified regularly. You don't want to find out your backup restore process doesn't work correctly after some data loss event has occurred.

For your scenario I would be tempted to just get a single NAS, and take that money you would have spent on a second one and spend it on cloud storage instead. That way you can do backups regularly, it's easier to verify the backup restore process, you don't have to worry about maintaining software & hardware in a second NAS, etc.

For that amount of storage you could potentially even just skip the NAS entirely, stick a single drive in your machine, and use Backblaze Personal for $7/mo. That would be $336 over 4 years, which is probably less than you would spend on a second NAS, and much more robust. Unless there's other reasons you want it on a NAS specifically?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A remote NAS box at the parents place sounds like a nightmare to me.

To do it right you need to set up VPN connection into their network. So now you also may need to buy a new router for them, if they're using whatever came with the internet subscription. Plus you're responsible for maintaining their router / network.

If you visit your parents often enough for this to seem feasible, just bring a cold bare drive with you when you visit with a current backup. Heck, if you're using mirrored drives you can just rotate a 3rd drive in and out of the mirror set.

For personal data, offsite is IMO more about disaster scenarios like your house burning down, so not getting your data back instantly is kinda near the bottom of the priority list. (And if your situation is more important, like a personal business or something where you do need that type of availability, pay for cloud.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fletcher posted:

Keep in mind that drives also need to be replaced regularly, every 4-5 years or so. Having an off-site backup like that (unless it is online 24/7?) would be cumbersome I think. Backups should be created regularly, and also verified regularly. You don't want to find out your backup restore process doesn't work correctly after some data loss event has occurred.

For your scenario I would be tempted to just get a single NAS, and take that money you would have spent on a second one and spend it on cloud storage instead. That way you can do backups regularly, it's easier to verify the backup restore process, you don't have to worry about maintaining software & hardware in a second NAS, etc.

For that amount of storage you could potentially even just skip the NAS entirely, stick a single drive in your machine, and use Backblaze Personal for $7/mo. That would be $336 over 4 years, which is probably less than you would spend on a second NAS, and much more robust. Unless there's other reasons you want it on a NAS specifically?

Linus Tech tips leading my astray >:[

If it's at my parents place I'm assuming that yes it would be online 24/7 in order to act as my remote storage to abide by the backup "rule of three" thingy. Bearing in mind currently I have essentially zero backup aside from what happens to be on my google drive or github for my projects :D so I'm working from a position of "has nothing" and looking for something that at least vaguely abides by better practices.

I imagine I want a NAS over cloud storage for copyright legal reasons probably as there's going to be materials that don't belong to me I use as personal/internal reference and don't wanna run afoul of "please don't distribute" clauses. And as long as its something I personally own I don't have to worry about a 3rd party getting involved into any kind of dispute. I imagine it isn't really a concern but you never know. I imagine I want a NAS that's in my apartment to start off with as my main backup and then worry about remote backups as I get around to it/as my budget allows.

I don't really have the money right now anyways I'm more planning ahead as to what kind of robust storage solution I want and would fit my needs. I imagine long term gradually replacing/verifying drives isn't too big of a deal, my dad would likely find it fun to verify and do the maintenance on the NAS I give to them (as long as I'm paying for it), he loves watching Linus Tech Tips.

Klyith posted:

A remote NAS box at the parents place sounds like a nightmare to me.

To do it right you need to set up VPN connection into their network. So now you also may need to buy a new router for them, if they're using whatever came with the internet subscription. Plus you're responsible for maintaining their router / network.

If you visit your parents often enough for this to seem feasible, just bring a cold bare drive with you when you visit with a current backup. Heck, if you're using mirrored drives you can just rotate a 3rd drive in and out of the mirror set.

For personal data, offsite is IMO more about disaster scenarios like your house burning down, so not getting your data back instantly is kinda near the bottom of the priority list. (And if your situation is more important, like a personal business or something where you do need that type of availability, pay for cloud.)

They're currently using my old router which is a "decent" gaming router so it probably has whatever features is required. It's old but its been reliable as far as I'm aware for the past several years without any issue.

My parents live far enough away that is why I was thinking of a setup like Linus suggested with the two NAS enclosures that support that sort of feature. My sister or brother are closer and maybe that would be more feasible for the rotate a parallel drive suggestion? I visit them more regularly.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 5, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Running the hell away from FreeBSD is the right move though, and if they get the container system working again it should be a hell of a lot nicer to use than the current experience on Core. I'm going to wait for the upcoming July 7 hotfix and decide whether to stick with it, or shift everything onto an Ubuntu LTS server, as I was finding myself using the VM on my core install to do practically everything. Docker is so much nicer to work with than iocage, but dealing with passing storage through via NFS made me want to kill myself.

Maybe give OpenMediaVault a try? I've been using it for a few years now and it works perfectly for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Raenir Salazar posted:

Linus Tech tips leading my astray >:[

LTT has an unlimited budget and does everything by picking the cool / show-off / fun gimmick option over the practical. It is an entertainment channel, not a source to blindly emulate.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bearing in mind currently I have essentially zero backup aside from what happens to be on my google drive or github for my projects :D so I'm working from a position of "has nothing" and looking for something that at least vaguely abides by better practices.

Well, you should figure out how to fix the no backups problem first, with whatever budget makes it possible, rather than waiting until you can afford 2 NAS boxes plus the drives to fill them. Even a cheap NAS box is a couple hundred. If you can get a NAS box & drives now that's great -- otherwise how about just getting a USB dock and one of the HDDs of the size you want to put in your future NAS?

Never let the perfect be the enemy of good. Have backups.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine I want a NAS over cloud storage for copyright legal reasons probably as there's going to be materials that don't belong to me I use as personal/internal reference and don't wanna run afoul of "please don't distribute" clauses. And as long as its something I personally own I don't have to worry about a 3rd party getting involved into any kind of dispute. I imagine it isn't really a concern but you never know. I imagine I want a NAS that's in my apartment to start off with as my main backup and then worry about remote backups as I get around to it/as my budget allows.

Using cloud storage for backup isn't distribution, and you encrypt what you put in the cloud to keep it private. So nobody will know you have put it in the cloud but you, whatever it is.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My parents live far enough away that is why I was thinking of a setup like Linus suggested with the two NAS enclosures that support that sort of feature. My sister or brother are closer and maybe that would be more feasible for the rotate a parallel drive suggestion? I visit them more regularly.

Linus doesn't live far away from his parents though, I'm pretty sure? They're all in the vancouver area.

The thing is something will go wrong, something always goes wrong, and then you are either guiding your parents through fixing it over the phone (kill me) or waiting until your next trip. Which, admittedly, is no worse a situation than if you were waiting for the next trip for a cold drive swap. So it's not worse, it's just a lot of money for a gimmick solution.

So a lot comes down to how important that 3rd backup is to you and how often you need it updated. And that would be my biggest objection to the remote NAS idea: if you are in a situation where you need continuous live offsite backup, you should probably just pay for cloud.

My own personal answer, when I asked myself how upset I'd be if my house burned down and my backups were up to 6 months out of date, was "not very". Compared to the house burning down part at least. And not enough to pay for cloud backups. So that's why *I* went with carrying a cold HDD on visits.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
For fun, I think I am going to try to make the Jonsbo work, unless this build is extra dumb, then I'll just get a normal 8-bay case like mentioned earlier.

CPU: Ryzen 5750g Pro
RAM: Samsung M474A4G43MB1-CTDQ ECC SO-DIMM
Motherboard: ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T
Case: Jonsbo n1
PSU: Corsair SF750
DRIVES: 5x 16tb WD Gold drives whenever they go on sale again. I have a few spare 2.5'' SSDs I can use for the OS.

If this doesn't seem like it'll work, whats a good motherboard/ram combo to fit into a U-NAS NSC-810A or the X-Case NASBOX N8C? Sorry again for the dumb questions, I promise I wont be dumb about the software stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Korean Boomhauer posted:

For fun, I think I am going to try to make the Jonsbo work, unless this build is extra dumb, then I'll just get a normal 8-bay case like mentioned earlier.

CPU: Ryzen 5750g Pro
RAM: Samsung M474A4G43MB1-CTDQ ECC SO-DIMM
Motherboard: ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T
Case: Jonsbo n1
PSU: Corsair SF750
DRIVES: 5x 16tb WD Gold drives whenever they go on sale again. I have a few spare 2.5'' SSDs I can use for the OS.

If this doesn't seem like it'll work, whats a good motherboard/ram combo to fit into a U-NAS NSC-810A or the X-Case NASBOX N8C? Sorry again for the dumb questions, I promise I wont be dumb about the software stuff.
Looks like a good setup, although it might be a bit tight. What sort of cooler are you planning on using?

The motherboard+CPU+RAM combo should be good for any NAS that you expect to run continuously, and all the cases you mentioned support MiniITX so I don't see a reason to look for something else.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Looks like a good setup, although it might be a bit tight. What sort of cooler are you planning on using?

The motherboard+CPU+RAM combo should be good for any NAS that you expect to run continuously, and all the cases you mentioned support MiniITX so I don't see a reason to look for something else.

I'm not sure. I seen someone said they used a Noctua NH-L9x65 in that case so I was going to give that a whirl.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I'm not sure. I seen someone said they used a Noctua NH-L9x65 in that case so I was going to give that a whirl.
If it can fit, and can provide enough cooling (which is only a problem Noctua has at the extreme high-end, where all air-cooling seems to struggle), Noctua is probably always the best choice.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Auuugh those motherboards are hard to find. I wonder if I'm pointlessly limiting myself by going with ryzen lol.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Intel does seem better supported by a lot of the NAS-centric distros out there too, probably by nature of the fact that most people have been running them on old-gen desktop or server hardware and until quite recently, nobody was buying AMD stuff for a long rear end time. With the volume of 2nd and 3rd gen ryzens being swapped out for 5th gen right now, I expect that to change; moreso when people start swapping AM4 systems out to move to DDR5 platforms.

I was slightly nervous moving from my trusty 3770 to a B450/R5 2600 combo, but it seems support is reasonable for Debian based platforms as long as you turn off some of the power management stuff. The extra cores and faster memory will be helpful.

The realtek NIC may yet prove to be an issue though.

Not keen to try FreeBSD on it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Depends on the realtek nic - some of them work perfectly fine.

On the other hand I have an intel PCIe NIC in my FreeBSD NAS box for similar reasons, so maybe I shouldn't say anything.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The primary reason I went back to Intel for my replacement NAS is because the chipsets from AMD are power hogs and for a decent workstation or server class board it would consume nearly double the power of a comparable market segment Intel chipset. I realized chipset power was more important than CPU power consumption when I saw the power draw of my X570 board was at least 15w idle, which kinda dwarfs the power envelope I was expecting for the whole system. The engineering need to have active cooling on a chipset is not a good look when you generally don't need that even on a quad socket Intel E-ATX board (granted, those are expected to be cooled via a fan wall over the larger heatsinks).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone help me understand how the encrypted folder scheme works on a Synology NAS?

I'm evaluating a situation where the user doesn't initialize a Key Store, USB key, or save a .key file (basically, memorized passphrase-only). I'm having trouble understanding if Synology stores keys data somehow, without key store being used? Or if it's a "forgot password = hosed".

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 8, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone help me understand how the encrypted folder scheme works on a Synology NAS?

Synology uses eCryptFS, a standard linux encryption system. It's secure but kinda restricted compared to some other more modern encryption methods.

eCryptFS also has a downside that someone can see how many files you have and their sizes, even without the key.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm wondering a the situation where the user doesn't initialize a Key Store, USB key, or save a .key file (basically, memorized passphrase-only), if . I'm having trouble understanding if Synology stores keys data somehow, without key store being used? Or if it's a "forget password = hosed" situation.

forget password = hosed.

Using the internal key store to save the key, so that you don't have to enter the password, is convenient but isn't secure. As I see it, all that gets you is the ability to dispose of the drives without a full wipe -- but even then you have to remember to delete the stored key first.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So you could observe just a directory tree but without file names/types (and with sizes)?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PRADA SLUT posted:

So you could observe just a directory tree but without file names/types (and with sizes)?

Yes. File names will be gobbledygook, but the directory tree, file size, create/modify date, and other filesystem metadata is visible.

If you want high encryption security on a NAS you might want to look at QNAP instead, this is an area where they're way ahead of Synology. You can for example have block-level encrypted volumes (ie no metadata leakage) with more than one password. Or move up to TrueNAS, since ZFS has good encryption abilities built in.

OTOH, for any good encryption, forget password = hosed. If that's not the case then it's not good encryption.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 8, 2022

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
lol is buying a QNAP and then just putting my own OS on it an option? Or should I hold out for that motherboard to pop up somewhere? I guess I could also get a normal case like the Node 804 or the QNAP 810a and try to track down a normal motherboard.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Korean Boomhauer posted:

lol is buying a QNAP and then just putting my own OS on it an option? Or should I hold out for that motherboard to pop up somewhere? I guess I could also get a normal case like the Node 804 or the QNAP 810a and try to track down a normal motherboard.

Apparently running a different OS on Synology boxes is difficult and QNAP is not?

But also, why the gently caress would you? Now you have a less-reliable system because you're running some home-brew "make a NAS from scratch" project, and it's not like the hardware is not cheaper for what it is. You're paying for the turn-key solution. Like, if you're comparing a QNAP with the cost of decent Ryzen + server-class ITX board + ECC ram, you're comparing apples and space shuttles.

Little NAS boxes don't have good CPUs; the better ones have a celeron. NAS boxes don't have ECC ram (and somehow aren't losing people's data left and right). They don't have IPMI, they have a web interface.

If you want to just get your DIY NAS project done for a reasonable price, stop looking at the gold-plated advice. Like, BSD cannot stand the idea of a single bit-flip in 100 terabyte-years. That's his position and it's fine. But recognize that it's an extreme end of the caution-vs-budget spectrum.