Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The pictures do to my eyes what mining rigs do to the ozone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

here's the big brain move: search "when will gpu prices go down" immediately after :thunk:

Ah, this person is trying to start their own mining operation! Let me talk with them about cryptocurrency next lunch break!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
https://english.elpais.com/science-tech/2022-07-07/jorge-stolfi-technologically-bitcoin-and-blockchain-technology-is-garbage.html

(Sorry for no quote but I'm phone posting and the article is a bitch to copy paste because of embedded tweets etc)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1545124310964117504?s=21&t=QA0EGbtCv8WqbSS_850Scg

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tarquinn posted:

Mom and dad seem to be cool.

Be a lot cooler if they changed their password and kicked the "investor" off their account.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HAHAHA they loving did it! I was talking about making "RUG P Coin" and poo poo but here we are, literal bag holders united.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

putin is a oval office posted:

https://english.elpais.com/science-tech/2022-07-07/jorge-stolfi-technologically-bitcoin-and-blockchain-technology-is-garbage.html

(Sorry for no quote but I'm phone posting and the article is a bitch to copy paste because of embedded tweets etc)

I can't believe it took a scientist to figure this out and tell congress...I knew this was a scam since it was clearly a scam the whole time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm sure the scientist thought so, too, from the start. They were tasked with proving it was garbage, which is much more time consuming when it comes to preparing something for the councils of ancients that run countries these days.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm sure the scientist thought so, too, from the start. They were tasked with proving it was garbage, which is much more time consuming when it comes to preparing something for the councils of ancients that run countries these days.

every single step in the entire history of cryptocurrency has been proof of the maxim that "the amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it."

e:

LifeSunDeath posted:

yes an no, in this case the scam takes literal electronic energy to produce, and tons of it. it takes way less energy for one CS major to go "oh yeah this clearly is junk."

getting greedy/scammy/idiots on board takes decades of education though, and it basically won't even help the worst degens among them.
lol, I probably should've swapped "effort" for "energy" when applying that principle to bitcoin

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 8, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

every single step in the entire history of cryptocurrency has been proof of the maxim that "the amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it."

yes an no, in this case the scam takes literal electronic energy to produce, and tons of it. it takes way less energy for one CS major to go "oh yeah this clearly is junk."

getting greedy/scammy/idiots on board takes decades of education though, and it basically won't even help the worst degens among them.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I'd imagine all of the people looking to ride this dragon and short BTC are learning a valuable lesson in how a market completely decoupled from reality works to the detriment of anyone willing to put money in arm's reach of it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Blotto_Otter posted:

e:

lol, I probably should've swapped "effort" for "energy" when applying that principle to bitcoin

while you're not wrong, i also see everywhere evidence of Upton Sinclair's maxim: "it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

while you're not wrong, i also see everywhere evidence of Upton Sinclair's maxim: "it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it"

Cryptocurrency is more like if Upton Sinclair showed a regular consumer how hot dogs are made out of chopped-off fingers and stray rats, and the consumer told him to stop spreading FUD. Then he goes out and buys 10,000 packages of hot dogs to prove how good they are.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Just saw an article titled "This 'biblical' Bitcoin pattern suggests BTC price can rise 30% by October". You can't argue with that.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pham Nuwen posted:

Cryptocurrency is more like if Upton Sinclair showed a regular consumer how hot dogs are made out of chopped-off fingers and stray rats, and the consumer told him to stop spreading FUD. Then he goes out and buys 10,000 packages of hot dogs to prove how good they are.

hot dogs are good though

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQ0i2RI6TI

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

more falafel please posted:

hot dogs are good though

Yeah, while bitcoin and hot dogs are both full of assholes the similarities end there.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

What will people that worked in crypto put on their resume after the collapse?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

3hands posted:

same "serial entrepreneur" bullshit they've had on there for decades, probably

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

3hands posted:

assistant crack whore

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I prefer the term crack enthusiast

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

Innovator | Big Idea Man | Financial Dreamscaper | Investment Expert | Living in a Borrowed Van | Entrepre-NEW-er | Tech Launch Prospector

gregday
May 23, 2003

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

3hands posted:

Foo Diddley posted:

Digital Metaverse Entrepreneur and Market Acquisition Monitoring Manager

or

2nd grill burger assembler

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Digital Metaverse Entrepreneur and Market Acquisition Monitoring Manager

or

2nd grill burger assembler

Why do we have to bag on the person making burgers? I love burgers, and I love when other people make burgers that I get to put in my mouf. Give the burger guy a raise.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

No ear piercing and not nearly a gormless enough expression on his face, 4/10.

Also is it really a cosplay if you just airbrush it in Photoshop for 15 minutes?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Just when I think crypto can't go any lower

I can't decide if its better or worse that dudes blackface is digital. He gets it, right? Please someone tell me he gets it

i know he's a racist :downsgun:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
wasn't "frens" some 4chan dogwhistle poo poo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

wasn't "frens" some 4chan dogwhistle poo poo

very much so yes

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Protocol7 posted:

Which means it's an infringing cosplay of a completely different ape! Call the lawyers!

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Protocol7 posted:

My favorite part. Your ape literally has three distinguishing characteristics and you don't include two of them?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

novamute posted:

My favorite part. Your ape literally has three distinguishing characteristics and you don't include two of them?

hat

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Which is another Seth Green's stupid ape show is dumb as hell. Oh you own the rights to THAT ape, huh? What about the people with identical apes except for the background color? What about the fact your ape in the show doesn't always have the crying eyes, or the exact mouth expression, or wears different clothes? Wouldn't changing anything about it invalidate the copyright when there's a million other identical apes?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Also, it isn't a copyright.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't know which term is the right one, I just mean his exclusive rights to market his ape.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't know which term is the right one, I just mean his exclusive rights to market his ape.

He has a non-exclusive license to create derivative content with his ape. Well, the original person who bought the token does, at least. It's unclear if or how that right would transfer on the secondary market.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I believe the legal term is "make believe."

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lol. lmao

https://twitter.com/CasPiancey/status/1545458071211687936

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Poopy Palpy posted:

He has a non-exclusive license to create derivative content with his ape. Well, the original person who bought the token does, at least. It's unclear if or how that right would transfer on the secondary market.

Yeah but my point is that his ape isn't unique, there are other identical apes with different backgrounds as well as very slightly different expressions. Saying you have a license to use it is completely meaningless when many others have license to a literally identical character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
In this thread we'll discuss:

• Moonbirds
• Goblintown
• OtherDeeds
• RTFKT
• Chimpers