Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

HonorableTB posted:

You're comparing Seattle City Light, a taxpayer subsidized municipal utility, with privatized electric. Look up the rates for Georgia Power and get back to me.

I am a Seattleite, I know how this works. SCL is billed bimonthly and routinely 50-60% less than the average cost of a non-municipal utility. More Americans are served by private electric utilities than aren't. SCL specifically receives taxpayer and state funding subsidies to keep costs of utilities low for those who are covered under it. SCL also ONLY covers Seattle city limits, which covers less than half of the Seattle-Tacoma metro population. Much more is covered by Puget Sound Energy than not, which is substantially more expensive than SCL.

Just because an electric company is publicly owned doesn't mean that it has cheaper rates. Utilities, such as electric providers, are a regulated monopoly, so they cannot simply set their own rates to whatever they think they can get away with.

E: Deleted my anecdotal example, thought PGE in Portland was a private company for some reason.

E2: An anecdotal example to demonstrate my point, Xcel Energy has cheaper rates in Minneapolis than Connexus Energy, which is a coop in Twin Cities metro area. If you want to limit the comparison to just municipality owned utilities, it also has cheaper rates than Anoka Municipal Utility, which is also in the Twin Cities metro.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what do you even have to do to hit a 1k utility bill?

are you running an aluminum recycling operation in your back yard?

They’re building a new sewer treatment plant where I am totally funded by system users and we hit about 300 a month because of that. I’d say in the winter water / sewer / electric / gas combined gets as high as 600 total and that’s really high compared to most everywhere else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think most Americans would flip poo poo if they had to register their TVs with the government and pay an annual licensing fee of about $250 to own a TV like most European countries do.

A lot of Europeans were also mad that their cable and satellite channels were basically all American reruns (half were mad because all their shows were American and the other half were mad because they could only get reruns and had to pay extra or pirate American TV shows to see new cable shows live).

The rise of streaming may have changed this, but when I was there, we didn't even have the option for cable and had to get a satellite dish that semi-frequently would lose signal due to the weather.

And Sky TV somehow found a way to be a worse cable company than Verizon.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

When I lived in Italy the electricity prices were insane and the power company capped your draw at like 3kW or it would blow a fuse at the street.

Houses in the US are regularly wired to pull 20-30kW; the US government gave pretty big stipends to personnel living on the local economy because they end up running up 1k+ utility bills running their air conditioner all the time in the summer like is normal in the states.

A lot of stuff is more expensive in America because it's done to stupid excess.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

You're comparing Seattle City Light, a taxpayer subsidized municipal utility, with privatized electric. Look up the rates for Georgia Power and get back to me.

I am a Seattleite, I know how this works. SCL is billed bimonthly and routinely 50-60% less than the average cost of a non-municipal utility. More Americans are served by private electric utilities than aren't. SCL specifically receives taxpayer and state funding subsidies to keep costs of utilities low for those who are covered under it. SCL also ONLY covers Seattle city limits, which covers less than half of the Seattle-Tacoma metro population. Much more is covered by Puget Sound Energy than not, which is substantially more expensive than SCL.

Someone else appears to have looked up Georgia. Is PSE really more expensive than SCL? The kWh rate of 0.1056-0.1307 for SCL is actually more than 0.0925-0.1121 for PSE:

https://www.pse.com/-/media/Project/PSE/Portal/Rate-documents/summ_elec_prices_2022_05_01.pdf?sc_lang=en

The 30-day charges for Seattle under SCL add up to $5.92 (https://www.seattle.gov/city-light/residential-services/billing-information/rates). I can’t say PSE is substantially more expensive from the number I’m seeing.

Also, SCL isn’t Seattle city limits only; the link indicates that it provides power to Seattle, Renton, Unincorp. King County , Burien, Seatac, Shoreline, Lake Forest Park, Normandy Park, and Tukwila.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 8, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

HonorableTB posted:

Just looked on my GA power bill for June. Actual cost was $.1238 per kWh. Factor in fees and it was $.16272. I pay $215 a month flat for 1850 sq ft of poorly insulated, built-in-1932 house - doing the flatrate option so I don't spike in summer, but don't enjoy the $70 bills in winter (gas heat).

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I don't know why anybody would be surprised that America is expensive. The whole point of capitalism is to charge as much as possible in excess of the cost of production. That's literally what profit is. The most successful businesses are the ones that can overcharge the most

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Dude I'm still waiting to hear what the deal is with the pass through entity 20 percent deduction repeal you mentioned a few pages back that isn't mentioned in the article you linked, which instead refers to imposing a healthcare surcharge on investment income from pass through entities.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MooselanderII posted:

Dude I'm still waiting to hear what the deal is with the pass through entity 20 percent deduction repeal you mentioned a few pages back that isn't mentioned in the article you linked, which instead refers to imposing a healthcare surcharge on investment income from pass through entities.

I was explaining what pass through income is and my brain accidentally swapped the TCJA change instead because it was the most recent legislative change to section 119a instead of the Medicare investment tax. The next line correctly mentioned it, but I misnamed it in the line before:

quote:

it is essentially a 3.8% increase in taxes on pass through income for people above $400k.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I was explaining what pass through income is and my brain accidentally swapped the TCJA change instead because it was the most recent legislative change to section 119a instead of the Medicare investment tax. The next line correctly mentioned it, but I misnamed it in the line before:

The investment tax has nothing to do with 199A, it's not even in the income tax sections of the internal revenue code. It's its own thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MooselanderII posted:

The investment tax has nothing to do with 199A, it's not even in the income tax sections of the internal revenue code. It's its own thing.

Are you asking why I had it on my mind? I'm confused.

They are both tax changes to pass through income taken instead of salary from sole proprietorships, partnerships and S corporations. I was explaining what pass through income was and it was on my mind because it was the most recent major change to pass through income and I was typing while working.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Not US, but former Japan PM Abe just got shot.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/japan-shinzo-abe-shot-rcna37228

Probably not going to make it.

Rough day for conservative PMs.

edit:

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1545242258240569344

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 8, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
One fewer ultra nationalist running around. Shame Hinckley wasn't as good a shot.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it should be mentioned that a national election is scheduled in the next few days. i don't know anything about the current polls, but my assumption is that ldp was probably already set to retain power even before the potential sympathy vote because they win every time

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Willa Rogers posted:

This is the most recent one I recall:

I recall another recent survey in which something like 50-60 percent of teens said they'd thought of suicide or self-harm, but I'll have to go digging for it.

Here's a KFF survey analysis on the effects of the pandemic on adults, including young adults.

I should also say: I know anecdotes aren't data, but I spoke to a part-time coworker I really respect, and his main job is as a teacher, and honestly it gave me a whole new perspective on the restrictions. We're both pilots and we both, obviously, care very dearly for our own personal medicals, but the mental health struggles he saw (and the lack of capacity to handle them) were sobering, for me, and having someone I trust, someone who put himself at risk the whole time and dealt with the fallout,, rather than some fucko conservative weasel make the case, honestly made a difference in how I view the issue.

I have to concede maybe I was wrong. I don't get it myself, I would've loved it. But apparently a lot of teenagers were in crisis. I don't know what the solution is anymore. You have kids saying they don't feel safe attending school due to COVID, you have kids that need crisis treatment because they can't go to school anymore. Who takes precedence? Who should we care more about?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://kion546.com/news/2022/07/07/governor-gavin-newsom-announces-california-will-make-its-own-insulin/

Looks like increasingly your quality of life depends more and more on the state you live in.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Electric rates in Germany are almost 3x the kw/h of the U.S. The U.K. has about 2x.

The E.U. has fairly high electric and gas prices.

Canada is the only OECD country with cheaper electricity than the U.S.

The goons in the D&D [Nuclear] Energy thread like to tout France's nuclear energy program, but electricity prices are like ~2x higher in France than in the US. The high cost of nuclear electricity might not matter a whole lot to the French--they may not really be that sensitive to electricity prices. When I think of countries which have a lot of heavy industry and use a lot of electricity, I don't think of France.

If you look at the US and China, which are countries which more meaningfully contribute to the global industrial economy, they aren't very heavily nuclear powered.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

DarkCrawler posted:

https://kion546.com/news/2022/07/07/governor-gavin-newsom-announces-california-will-make-its-own-insulin/

Looks like increasingly your quality of life depends more and more on the state you live in.

Goons like to attribute the success of California to its state government policies, but California has so many natural and historical advantages that the CA state government would have had to greatly screw up for CA to transform into a poor state.

I maintain that CA's success has little to do with its state government and has more to do with things like: great weather/resultant bountiful agriculture, Stanford University/Department of Defense funding, the Gold Rush, the Southern California Oil Boom, etc.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 8, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

Not US, but former Japan PM Abe just got shot.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/japan-shinzo-abe-shot-rcna37228

Probably not going to make it.

Rough day for conservative PMs.

edit:

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1545242258240569344

NYT just confirmed he did not survive and was assassinated.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/07/08/world/japan-shinzo-abe-shooting

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

The goons in the D&D [Nuclear] Energy thread like to tout France's nuclear energy program, but electricity prices are like ~2x higher in France than in the US. The high cost of nuclear electricity might not matter a whole lot to the French--they may not really be that sensitive to electricity prices. When I think of countries which have a lot of heavy industry and use a lot of electricity, I don't think of France.

If you look at the US and China, which are countries which more meaningfully contribute to the global industrial economy, they aren't very heavily nuclear powered.

France is 5th largest exporter in the world and it’s almost all manufactured goods

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

You're right. The next few years is going to see a lot of people moving states, especially with the increase of WFH tech, people have more latitude about where they live.

The logic of our current laws makes me think of a Sam Kinison joke: "I solved world hunger! All the hungry kids just need to move to where the food is!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shinzo Abe is Japan's first gun-related homicide for the year.

The homicide rate by guns has technically been 0 in Japan almost every year for decades, because the rate is calculated by deaths per 100,000 people rounded to the nearest tenth, and the gun homicide rate has been less than 0.05 almost every year.

It is incredibly rare for it to happen and the fact that the one time it has this year is the country's most popular politician whose party was likely about to return to power is pretty insane.

Edit: For a dark and wild comparison, the gun homicide rate in the U.S. is 20,501.2% higher than Japan. That is over 20,000 PERCENT higher.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 8, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shinzo Abe is Japan's first gun-related homicide for the year.

The homicide rate by guns has technically been 0 in Japan almost every year for decades, because the rate is calculated by deaths per 100,000 people rounded to the nearest tenth, and the gun homicide rate has been less than 0.05 almost every year.

It is incredibly rare for it to happen and the fact that the one time it has this year is the country's most popular politician whose party was likely about to return to power is pretty insane.

Edit: For a dark and wild comparison, the gun homicide rate in the U.S. is 20,501.2% higher than Japan. That is over 20,000 PERCENT higher.

It was also a homemade gun at that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meatball posted:

You're right. The next few years is going to see a lot of people moving states, especially with the increase of WFH tech, people have more latitude about where they live.

The logic of our current laws makes me think of a Sam Kinison joke: "I solved world hunger! All the hungry kids just need to move to where the food is!"
Yes the Supreme Court is just moving things back in time to the Articles of Confederation period, where the federal government essentially wasn’t allowed to do much and states were all like mini-countries

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Meatball posted:

And the people who most need to move are the ones who won't be able to, and mostly don't and can't work from home, of course, but things will continue to be ok for the middle class computer toucher.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The new jobs report came out even better than expected.

https://twitter.com/morningmoneyben/status/1545386167255896067

Which means the FED is going to raise rates even harder (because they either feel that the economy is robust enough withstand more rapid rate increases or they want slightly higher unemployment to drop inflation faster).

https://twitter.com/Neil_Irwin/status/1545386338433785858

There have been so many things in the last 10 to 15 years that have basically broken what everyone thought was a fundamental rule about different things (crime, politics, technology, voting, international relations, finance, disease, etc.)

If the economy shrinks next quarter, it will be a technical recession, but the first one ever with a hot job market, record low unemployment, and with higher inflation-adjusted consumer spending than pre-recession.

That would be another major thing that everyone assumed was nearly impossible for about 80 years happening anyway.

You might be able to explain it away by saying it is likely to be a relatively small recession, but even still, it's another "close to impossible scenario that has not been recorded in the last century, but is somehow happening" situation. If the recession is worse than expected or very prolonged and the labor market and inflation-adjusted spending rates stay in the same ballpark, then all economic data from the last century will basically be :shrug: on how it happened.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

silence_kit posted:

Goons like to attribute the success of California to its state government policies, but California has so many natural and historical advantages that the CA state government would have had to greatly screw up for CA to transform into a poor state.

I maintain that CA's success has little to do with its state government and has more to do with things like: great weather/resultant bountiful agriculture, Stanford University/Department of Defense funding, the Gold Rush, the Southern California Oil Boom, etc.

What does Stanford have to to with the DoD?

Also, agriculture falls under "other" in terms of GDP for California. Everyone thinks it is huge, and it is, but not for California.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_California#/media/File:California_GDP_by_sector_2017.png

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

One fewer ultra nationalist running around. Shame Hinckley wasn't as good a shot.

I thought the issue was that he didn't use a high enough caliber

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes the Supreme Court is just moving things back in time to the Articles of Confederation period, where the federal government essentially wasn’t allowed to do much and states were all like mini-countries

That might be the phase they're in now, but I wouldn't bet money on SCOTUS letting the Pacific Northwest become a little Europe with nationalized industries and robust safety nets. Like abortion, sending abortion back to the states was step one. The actual goal is nation-wide fetal personhood.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Is a possible explanation for it "real, actual people have been hammered by real, actual reality and all the numbers fuckery is fake anyway?" That's my gut reaction but I'm frequently wrong about that stuff.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Lol Wisconsin is probably one of the worst states at this point and a vision of the future for the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1545395474437373954

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boot and Rally posted:

What does Stanford have to to with the DoD?

Also, agriculture falls under "other" in terms of GDP for California. Everyone thinks it is huge, and it is, but not for California.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_California#/media/File:California_GDP_by_sector_2017.png

Fred Terman was the dean of engineering at Stanford a long time ago and might have invented the idea of getting the DoD to fund University applied science research. A lot of his graduate students started technology companies which were based on their research.

One of the big benefits of living in Coastal California is that you are right next to one of the most agriculturally productive areas of the world and can enjoy inexpensive, fresh produce.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

bird food bathtub posted:

Is a possible explanation for it "real, actual people have been hammered by real, actual reality and all the numbers fuckery is fake anyway?" That's my gut reaction but I'm frequently wrong about that stuff.

It's actually the opposite. If we follow the historical example of GDP relationship to unemployment and inflation-price spirals, then people should be hurting more or the economy should be growing.

It could also be a really rare survey error that just happened to occur in this specific direction at this specific time.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1545397976662790150

If the trend continues and there is GDP shrinkage in the next quarter, then it will basically be in uncharted territory (in both good and bad ways) and know it wasn't a one-off blip due to survey methodology. If it doesn't, then everything will basically be going as expected, but just slower than expected and/or there was a survey sampling issue this month.

Jason Furman has been more pessimistic about inflation and the economy in his assessments since 2021 than most other economists and even he is saying. :shrug: when asked to explain it.

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1545393057113128960

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 8, 2022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Meatball posted:

Increase on WFH tech really doesn't help the bottom of the ladder - you can't really WFH in retail, service, and factory settings.

Incidently, I did move states recently. I moved to a bluer state even! But it still cost about an entire month's wage, and I had a ton of things going for me including not having to pay rent in the new place.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's actually the opposite. If we follow the historical example of GDP relationship to unemployment and inflation-price spirals, then people should be hurting more or the economy should be growing.

It could also be a really rare survey error that just happened to occur in this specific direction at this specific time.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1545397976662790150

If the trend continues and there is GDP shrinkage in the next quarter, then it will basically be in uncharted territory (in both good and bad ways) and know it wasn't a one-off blip due to survey methodology. If it doesn't, then everything will basically be going as expected, but just slower than expected and/or there was a survey sampling issue this month.

At the risk of eating a 6er or longer for trodding over the same ground again, I will once again defer to the works of Neil Postman

quote:

Unlike science, social research never discovers anything. It only rediscovers what people once were told and need to be told again. If, indeed, the price of civilization is repressed sexuality, it was not Sigmund Freud who discovered it. If the consciousness of people is formed by their material circumstances, it was not Marx who discovered it. If the medium is the message, it was not McLuhan who discovered it. They have merely retold ancient stories in a modern style. And these stories will be told anew decades and centuries from now, with, I imagine, less effect. For it would seem that Technopoly does not want these kinds of stories but facts—hard facts, scientific facts.

We might even say that in Technopoly precise knowledge is preferred to truthful knowledge but that in any case Technopoly wishes to solve, once and for all, the dilemma of subjectivity. In a culture in which the machine, with its impersonal and endlessly repeatable operations, is a controlling metaphor and considered to be the instrument of progress, subjectivity becomes profoundly unacceptable. Diversity, complexity, and ambiguity of human judgment are enemies of technique. They mock statistics and polls and standardized tests and bureaucracies. In Technopoly, it is not enough for social research to rediscover ancient truths or to comment on and criticize the moral behavior of people. In Technopoly, it is an insult to call someone a “moralizer.” Nor is it sufficient for social research to put forward metaphors, images, and ideas that can help people live with some measure of understanding and dignity. Such a program lacks the aura of certain knowledge that only science can provide. It becomes necessary, then, to transform psychology, sociology, and anthropology into “sciences,” in which humanity itself becomes an object, much like plants, planets, or ice cubes.

That is why the commonplaces that people fear death and that children who come from stable families valuing scholarship will do well in school must be announced as “discoveries” of scientific enterprise. In this way, social researchers can see themselves, and can be seen, as scientists, researchers without bias or values, unburdened by mere opinion. In this way, social policies can be claimed to rest on objectively determined facts. In Technopoly, it is not enough to argue that the segregation of blacks and whites in schools is immoral, and it is useless to offer Black Boy or Invisible Man or The Fire Next Time as proof. The courts must be shown that standardized academic and psychological tests reveal that blacks do less well than whites and feel demeaned when segregation exists. In Technopoly, it is not enough to say it is immoral and degrading to allow people to be homeless. You cannot get anywhere by asking a judge, a politician, or a bureaucrat to read Les Misérables or Nana or, indeed, the New Testament. You must show that statistics have produced data revealing the homeless to be unhappy and to be a drain on the economy. Neither Dostoevsky nor Freud, Dickens nor Weber, Twain nor Marx, is now a dispenser of legitimate knowledge. They are interesting; they are “worth reading”; they are artifacts of our past. But as for “truth,” we must turn to “science.” Which brings me to the crux of what I mean by Scientism, and why it has emerged in Technopoly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

Increase on WFH tech really doesn't help the bottom of the ladder - you can't really WFH in retail, service, and factory settings.

Incidently, I did move states recently. I moved to a bluer state even! But it still cost about an entire month's wage, and I had a ton of things going for me including not having to pay rent in the new place.

Ngl the idea that work from home is becoming the norm any time soon implies to me an entirely sheltered worldview. My job is literally impossible to do from home and I have insurance and decent pay. Are WFHers cool with no doordashers or restaurants or entertainment venues or airports or food production or hospitals or factories or...

The ability for some people to work from home requires multiple people in impossible to WFH jobs for each WFH job by an order of magnitude.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gripweed posted:

That might be the phase they're in now, but I wouldn't bet money on SCOTUS letting the Pacific Northwest become a little Europe with nationalized industries and robust safety nets. Like abortion, sending abortion back to the states was step one. The actual goal is nation-wide fetal personhood.
Yeah I don’t believe that they will stop with the current ruling, but I’m looking at the trend as a whole with how SCOTUS is removing powers from the federal government lately.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ngl the idea that work from home is becoming the norm any time soon implies to me an entirely sheltered worldview. My job is literally impossible to do from home and I have insurance and decent pay. Are WFHers cool with no doordashers or restaurants or entertainment venues or airports or food production or hospitals or factories or...

The ability for some people to work from home requires multiple people in impossible to WFH jobs for each WFH job by an order of magnitude.

Oh, you poor, ignorant soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLn2V-nGUbs

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lib and let die posted:

At the risk of eating a 6er or longer for trodding over the same ground again, I will once again defer to the works of Neil Postman

What point does this make other than 'lol people suck and knowledge isn't real'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What point does this make other than 'lol people suck and knowledge isn't real'?

183 pages is a relatively short read, but it's probably a bit too long to get into the full thrust of his thesis here in a forum post.

https://libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=4F4C804EF0921B359B028F81FC4115F5

You can load it to any e-reader using Calibre (or just straight up read it in calibre). information should be free!