Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm just trying to remember who it would have been that got written out. Billy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My money is on Kandyse McClure (Dualla).

Comedy option: Zak Adama

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

My money is on Kandyse McClure (Dualla).

Comedy option: Zak Adama

Yeah I couldn’t be bothered to look her up but Dualla’s a good guess. My other one would be one of the cylons, like the doctor who’s never seen again after s2 or Lucy Lawless.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
lol the girl from smallville got put in jail too

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arivia posted:

Yeah I couldn’t be bothered to look her up but Dualla’s a good guess. My other one would be one of the cylons, like the doctor who’s never seen again after s2 or Lucy Lawless.

Leoben also disappeared at one point. I just fanon he finally went to find the Hand Of Franklin with his husband Benton

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Going back to Patrick Brown, I figured he would be the biggest threat to Trudeau since he seemed to be your standard red tory. Plus he’s young and good looking so I figured he could capture a lot of the swing voters that would vote for Trudeau when faced with a harder right conservative.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The party has tried milquetoast not-quite-Liberals repeatedly and gotten spanked, they're definitely going to lean into "batshit loving moron" and see where that takes them this time out.

Presumably it will take them where it took the Republicans after the Tea party. To victory and a party that's absolutely uncontrollable, full of true believers who have no idea what government even does, let alone how to do their jobs.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 7, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

The party has tried milquetoast not-quite-Liberals repeatedly and gotten spanked, they're definitely going to lean into "batshit loving moron" and see where that takes them this time out.

Presumably it will take them where it took the Republicans after the Tea party. To victory and a party that's absolutely uncontrollable, full of true believers who have no idea what government even does, let alone how to do their jobs.

So it will mimic the Alberta and Ontario PC parties?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's my prediction, yeah. After all, you can't argue with results.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
The Ontario PCs kicked out their radical fringe. The Herle Burly has an interview with Dough Ford's campaign manager. He talks about purposely ejecting the antivaxers and those who would be PPC like Hiller. They purposely did not want to activate the liberal and NDP voters. It is a very different road to power than modern Republicans.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe they've kept a lid on them, I don't know if they've gone anywhere, other than Hillier.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

folytopo posted:

The Ontario PCs kicked out their radical fringe. The Herle Burly has an interview with Dough Ford's campaign manager. He talks about purposely ejecting the antivaxers and those who would be PPC like Hiller. They purposely did not want to activate the liberal and NDP voters. It is a very different road to power than modern Republicans.

They didnt kick them out though? They just found a temporary way to keep them under control. No different than the early Tea Party days of the Republican party, and I think its fair to assume the end results wont be much different.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I figured the federal conservatives problem was they needed a leader with a modicum of charm or charisma. Get someone with public appeal and they can sell whatever.

Yeah, I think the Ontario PCs are like the federal Conservatives under Harper where he kept a tight lid on all the social conservatives and fringe MPs.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

infernal machines posted:

Maybe they've kept a lid on them, I don't know if they've gone anywhere, other than Hillier.

They kicked out Barber, Karahalios, and Nichols as well and I think one more. Also they messed around In a lot of nominations. They have kicked out more elected politicians than the Liberals have in twice as long in office.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, for better and worse, we are not America. Even in Alberta, there's a limit to how far that so-con bullshit takes you. Now, the converse of that is: the GOP caters to those voters because they desperately need them. In Canada, I don't think you do. I don't think you need to cater to racists and homophobes and kooks, you can just pursue a bog-standard fiscal conservative agenda and you can easily, easily take a majority if you phrase things in a way that people want to hear.

O'Toole could've been PM if he had just distanced himself as far as loving possible from the trucknuts. Nobody likes that poo poo! But he tried to play the middle of the road and got ran the gently caress over by drivers on both sides. Absolutely shambolic political instincts.

Especially at the time, before all these new fancy variants showed up, O'Toole could have easily hammered Trudeau on the failure to vaccinate the country effectively and efficiently, and a willingness to coddle anti-vaxxers and thereby keep the rest of us poor and under lockdown, then expect us to be grateful for the pittance of CERB, which was administered like poo poo and hosed a bunch of people over. Do I believe it's actually Trudeau's fault or that any of that is true? No, of course that would be mostly nonsense (CERB was administered like poo poo, and clawing it back over ill-defined qualifications for such a paltry amount of money when all is said and done should've been the nail in Trudeau's political coffin) and I have no doubt the Conservatives would've handled it worse. But it would've sold to the majority of reliable voters.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

folytopo posted:

They kicked out Barber, Karahalios, and Nichols as well and I think one more. Also they messed around In a lot of nominations. They have kicked out more elected politicians than the Liberals have in twice as long in office.

I stand corrected.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's easier to govern from the right than oppose from the right.

If the socons and the fiscal conservatives both believe that something shouldn't be done when they are governing they don't have to have ideological discussions about it. If they aren't in power not only do they have to oppose they have to give a reason which is bound to piss one side off.

Surprised they just haven't gone for splitting when they don't win and reuniting right before an election.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Getting back to the BSG-NXIVM cult discussion, I thought it was a bit odd how in the last season there were more (and more) religious orgy scenes that felt very .... out of place. Reading up on NXIVM and its influence on actors, I can see the link now - and I'm not sure I can rewatch the series in the same light.

Personal anecdote - we met Edward James Olmos at a comic convention, looking to get his signature. Seeing as it was close to closing time there wasn't anyone behind us so we chatted for a good half an hour about many different topics (such as his experience in the L.A riots after the Roney King verdict, his earlier experiences in acting, and his thoughts on Canada). He did think it would have been really funny if BSG ended halfway through season four, when they all arrived at the irradiated uninhabited planet, with him stating "Earth" as the last line.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Guigui posted:

Getting back to the BSG-NXIVM cult discussion, I thought it was a bit odd how in the last season there were more (and more) religious orgy scenes that felt very .... out of place. Reading up on NXIVM and its influence on actors, I can see the link now - and I'm not sure I can rewatch the series in the same light.

Personal anecdote - we met Edward James Olmos at a comic convention, looking to get his signature. Seeing as it was close to closing time there wasn't anyone behind us so we chatted for a good half an hour about many different topics (such as his experience in the L.A riots after the Roney King verdict, his earlier experiences in acting, and his thoughts on Canada). He did think it would have been really funny if BSG ended halfway through season four, when they all arrived at the irradiated uninhabited planet, with him stating "Earth" as the last line.

Edward James Olmos is a class act. I had a similar conversation with him several years back at Fan Expo. I was dressed as Arthur Dent, complete with a fish sticking out of my ear (accomplished by taking a large fishing lure, sawing it in half, and hot-gluing the back half to an ear plug.)

The other thing I distinctly remember is that dude was jacked. Huge forearms.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They should have had aliens show up at the end so Olmos could follow through on his threat to just drop dead in the middle of a scene if aliens did show up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

They should have had aliens show up at the end so Olmos could follow through on his threat to just drop dead in the middle of a scene if aliens did show up.

They should have gone with Eddie's original idea for the ending of the fleet jumping into Earth orbit and being wiped out by a million nukes that suddenly come flying up from the surface. Then it cuts to the oval office in the White House and you see George W. Bush sitting behind the desk and you hear Tricia Helfer's voice off screen going "congratulations, Mr. President, the alien menace has been defeated" and the camera pulls back to show him completely surrounded by Cylon agents.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I can’t remember who it was, but i heard an interview with a comic artist once where said he and a bunch of other artists were put up in the same hotel as some BSG cast members for a comic con, like they were featured guests for a panel, and Edward James Olmos refused to let the artists board the shuttle sent by the convention. He apparently held things up for quite a while but eventually had to relent as the bus wouldn’t go without them, then just stared them down with those eyes the whole trip.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Have you ever met any comic book artists? Because I kinda don't blame him

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Have you ever met any comic book artists? Because I kinda don't blame him

Comic book artist, cultist, or Conservative; which is worse? :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Glimpse posted:

I can’t remember who it was, but i heard an interview with a comic artist once where said he and a bunch of other artists were put up in the same hotel as some BSG cast members for a comic con, like they were featured guests for a panel, and Edward James Olmos refused to let the artists board the shuttle sent by the convention. He apparently held things up for quite a while but eventually had to relent as the bus wouldn’t go without them, then just stared them down with those eyes the whole trip.

Maybe he had a beef with them? I feel like we shouldn't trust hearsay about public figures at face value.

nine-gear crow posted:

They should have gone with Eddie's original idea for the ending of the fleet jumping into Earth orbit and being wiped out by a million nukes that suddenly come flying up from the surface. Then it cuts to the oval office in the White House and you see George W. Bush sitting behind the desk and you hear Tricia Helfer's voice off screen going "congratulations, Mr. President, the alien menace has been defeated" and the camera pulls back to show him completely surrounded by Cylon agents.

I think it would've been neat if the fleet went to Earth in modern day and Earth and the fleet and the Cylons gotta work out their problems to face off the threat that the angels were trying to prepare us for. Earth wouldn't be advanced enough to solve the problem, but is advanced enough that with their schematics and knowledge potentially gradually build up a fleet and reinforce/repair the BSG fleet. In addition to having food and living space to resettle the refugees; with the cylons wanting to make up for the whole attempted genocide thing by protecting the last home of humanity. I think that could've had a lot of potential for a Expanse-like style show of resolving those political, economic and technological challenges while fending off the military threat of something far greater than what the Cylons ever were.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Winnipeg has a branch of a cult called Twelve Tribes that believe in:
-beating their children
-isolating their children from society
-forced marriages
-women are made to serve white men
-black people were put here to serve white men
-Jewish people are evil (while appropriating a ton of Jewish and Hebrew customs)

There's also Springs Church and Iglesia ni Christo which effectively operate as cults.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's also this one really bad cult, they kidnapped and abused thousands of children, and a bunch of their so-called "leaders" are pedophiles who get moved around to cover up their crimes.

Oh right, it's the Catholic Church, and they're still given government funding to operate schools to this day! Great fuckin' system, eh?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
For anyone interested to learn more about NXIVM from a Canadian perspective, there’s a great season of the CBC true crime podcast Uncover called “Escaping NXIVM” that focuses on a Vancouver woman’s experience as a relatively high ranking member. It’s really good at going into the crazy details of the cult and is surprisingly nuanced in exploring the nuances of victimization and complicity from various members.

It’s hilarious how lazy a reskin of Scientology it was, right down to calling people who leave and criticize it “suppressives.” Just glad that they caught Raniere and effectively shut the operation down before it could metastasize like Scientology.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

MeinPanzer posted:

For anyone interested to learn more about NXIVM from a Canadian perspective, there’s a great season of the CBC true crime podcast Uncover called “Escaping NXIVM” that focuses on a Vancouver woman’s experience as a relatively high ranking member. It’s really good at going into the crazy details of the cult and is surprisingly nuanced in exploring the nuances of victimization and complicity from various members.

It’s hilarious how lazy a reskin of Scientology it was, right down to calling people who leave and criticize it “suppressives.” Just glad that they caught Raniere and effectively shut the operation down before it could metastasize like Scientology.

I listened to the Behind the Bastards episodes about it and yeah, the fact that most of it was just unimaginative was also kind of fascinating.

Also thanks to BtB, my gold standard for cult leader is L. Ron Hubbard. Say what you will about Scientology, but the dude was appropriately nuts (cf. SeaOrg and its search for gold).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Comic book artist, cultist, or Conservative; which is worse? :v:

Comedy option: Ethan Van Sciver -- Comic book artist, conservative, and (internet) cult leader :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mojo1701a posted:

I listened to the Behind the Bastards episodes about it and yeah, the fact that most of it was just unimaginative was also kind of fascinating.

Also thanks to BtB, my gold standard for cult leader is L. Ron Hubbard. Say what you will about Scientology, but the dude was appropriately nuts (cf. SeaOrg and its search for gold).

The forward for the Mission Earth series by his editor talking about the various things he needed to do to make the series remotely publishable I thought was a tongue in cheek joke that Hubbard was likely in on but years later learning what I know now I'm absolutely convinced its absolutely real and true. :stare: You had his editor having to make suggestions with the same fear and trepidation as an advisor telling Stalin bad news.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Raenir Salazar posted:

The forward for the Mission Earth series by his editor talking about the various things he needed to do to make the series remotely publishable I thought was a tongue in cheek joke that Hubbard was likely in on but years later learning what I know now I'm absolutely convinced its absolutely real and true. :stare: You had his editor having to make suggestions with the same fear and trepidation as an advisor telling Stalin bad news.

I mean, I'm not surprised. As I recall, LRH had 14-year-old girls who were empowered as his voice.

They were specifically trained to repeat exactly what he said with specific intonation word-for-word. This would include yelling at someone or giving orders.

All because he didn't want to use a telephone.

Seriously, though, if anyone wants to donate money to buy a boat and/or join the crew under my command so we can explore the Caribbean looking for gold, I'd appreciate it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mojo1701a posted:

I mean, I'm not surprised. As I recall, LRH had 14-year-old girls who were empowered as his voice.

They were specifically trained to repeat exactly what he said with specific intonation word-for-word. This would include yelling at someone or giving orders.

All because he didn't want to use a telephone.

Seriously, though, if anyone wants to donate money to buy a boat and/or join the crew under my command so we can explore the Caribbean looking for gold, I'd appreciate it.

This actually sounds like an interesting idea for a scifi or fantasy story, where the Emperor/King/God has a human avatar who just exists to run around yelling orders but are trained to do it in the same tone, like Kenku from D&D but as Servants of the God-Emperor. Has a little bit of Dune in there with the Bene Gesseret voice powers. Maybe something like they train themselves to be able to so closely match their Sovereign in tone and thought processes that this enables a psychic link that actually lets the God-Emperor speak through them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Guigui posted:

He did think it would have been really funny if BSG ended halfway through season four, when they all arrived at the irradiated uninhabited planet, with him stating "Earth" as the last line.

That was Roslin's line.
:goonsay:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

This actually sounds like an interesting idea for a scifi or fantasy story, where the Emperor/King/God has a human avatar who just exists to run around yelling orders but are trained to do it in the same tone, like Kenku from D&D but as Servants of the God-Emperor. Has a little bit of Dune in there with the Bene Gesseret voice powers. Maybe something like they train themselves to be able to so closely match their Sovereign in tone and thought processes that this enables a psychic link that actually lets the God-Emperor speak through them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loud_as_a_Whisper

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

run on sentience posted:

-beating their children
-forced marriages
-Jewish people are evil (while appropriating a ton of Jewish and Hebrew customs)

There's also Springs Church and Iglesia ni Christo which effectively operate as cults.

Aren't they the guys who have a bunch of breakfast places in the valley in BC? Turns out they are. I went to one of their delis with my in-laws. The food was very meh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

run on sentience posted:

-beating their children
-forced marriages

They also, as I found out two years after the fact, serve loving delicious sandwiches and banana milkshakes (don’t go to The Yellow Deli)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

mojo1701a posted:

The BtB series of episodes about L Ron Hubbard, including the side episodes about Jack Parsons' satanic sex cult that Hubbard was involved in for a while, are the absolute best out there. Hubbard's life story is incredibly entertaining from beginning to end, and I truly never understood how scientology could come to exist or be as powerful as it is until I listened to that ~10 hours of podcasts.

It's funny that NXIVM was just "what if scientology, but more of a pyramid scheme," including surprise reveals that everyone was some famous person in a past life. (He told a bunch of his inner circle that he had learned through meditation that they were all Nazis during WWII, while he was a hero of the resistance.)

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 8, 2022

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-cell-mobile-wifi-1.6514373

Maybe having critical infrastructure owned by an unaccountable monopoly isn't the wisest choice idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Have they tried turning it off and turning it back on? works for my router sometimes.

Maybe if we allowed them all to merge into one single unaccountable entity as they're trying to do, they would finally be able to make enough profit to start spending on infrastructure.