Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

pseudodragon posted:

Does she have a canon age?

no, but reading what people think of villager ages is a fascinating view of the person writing the list

e: pretend I put airquotes around fascinating

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abigail – 18
Alex – 18
Sam – 18
Maru – 18
This whole group reads like right out of High School. From Alex's football dreams to Maru only caring about doing robot poo poo with her dad to Abigail's teenage rebellions against her lovely dad, they could even be signaling younger than that, as if they are juniors or something.

Haley – 22
Really hard to tell, except I think she's younger than Emily but also a very shallow, immature adult.

Sebastian – 23
He has some stuff that makes him look like a peer with the young four, but he's clearly older than Maru, so he's hanging out with her High School class group. Unlike them, he has a real job and real concerns.

Emily – 25
Crystal ladies can be any age, I really have no idea.

Shane - 26
Drinks a lot in the bar, has depression, taking care of a niece.

Penny – 27
Could be younger, but to me she reads a lot like an adult woman with very clear goals in life, who is just taking care of her mother and taking it day by day.

Leah – 29
Long term ex stuff, and seeming to be more than just High School Drama with him, living the dream, worried about the viability of her dream

Elliot – 30
Very similar to Leah, his sprite face just reads kind of old

Harvey - 34
Medical school takes a while, he has by far the oldest looking face. He might be offended by that and shave his 'stach, revealing that he's actually 31.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Whose spouses' goals and ambitions don't you ruin by marrying them? AFAICT it's Shane, Haley, Emily, Alex, Elliott, Leah, and Penny. Am I missing anyone?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Even if you don't usualy bother with cooking, at least do pumpkin soup. It only requires a pumpkin and some milk, adds a +3 to luck, and fills up your health even after you've expanded your meters a few times. Indespensible for skull cavern runs. Robin gives you the recipe if you suck up to her enough.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

Whose spouses' goals and ambitions don't you ruin by marrying them? AFAICT it's Shane, Haley, Emily, Alex, Elliott, Leah, and Penny. Am I missing anyone?

Sam giving up his music isn't on the player. There's no reason he can't keep running with his art ike Elliott and go off in tour.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
everyone's ages don't matter as they are all day walking vampires who shall never grow old. It's why you pass out at night and can't remember what happened. Also why Pierre has enough strength to launch a man into space

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

World Famous W posted:

everyone's ages don't matter as they are all day walking vampires who shall never grow old. It's why you pass out at night and can't remember what happened. Also why Pierre has enough strength to launch a man into space

Edit: Somebody make me a crossover mod. Sam and Sebastian can be the Frog Brothers

AJA fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 7, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pththya-lyi posted:

Shane only counts because he doesn't have any ambitions, but yeah. Pretty much.

Penny reads to me as the best person among the eligibles, just a huge heart all around and all she wants out of life is a stable loving family, but no way in hell would I marry her--she is going to be a serious ball of neuroses and have a bad abandonment complex all her life, plus Pam makes a way better drinking buddy than mother-in-law. The thought of marrying Sebastian or Abigail and chaining them to the Valley just makes me sad.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've never done the Harvey romance, but isn't he cool just being a nerd who runs the local clinic? Doesn't seem like marrying you would ruin anything?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh yeah, I meant to put Harvey in but I forgot. He's already given up on his piloting dreams before the game started

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When you marry Sebastian, he basically seems like the City wasn't really the thing he wanted. He's happy just like... not being shut up in the basement and knowing there's a guy upstairs who kicks over his snowmen. And when he was single, going to the city seemed like the best way to get away from that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
A lot of the marriage candidates seem to find fulfillment in family, its super sweet how the male candidates look after their children especially. (Alex, I mean Alex)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m sure it’s obvious to many, but I just discovered a good tip for a new game in Spring 1. When Salmonberry season hits, gather up over a hundred of them since they’re everywhere and use that stack to replenish energy on demand till you get your cheese production going. 5-6 can almost fill your bar completely.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
*pasty ex-cubicle drone, crying while shoving fistfuls of mushy salmonberries into their gullet*: "Don't worry Penny *chomp* *slurp* just a few more months of not paying for *gulp* meals, utilities, or property taxes and I can whisk *gag* you away from your life of *snrf* poverty to the two room recently abandoned woods shed of your dreams!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sebastian wants to get a sidecar for his motorcycle so our kid can go with him on rides. :3:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Me: "Hey, so, Sebastian, I got you this."
*offers a plate of room temperature carp sashimi*
Sebastian: "I love this. How did you know?"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Woo! I beat the dark dragon in Sun Haven. That's a long fight. Definitely helps to eat and gear up to boost your stats.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've only ever seen Penny and Abigail's 14-heart events so this save I'm going to marry each and every available person one by one and then rewrite reality so we never got married because that way nobody will get mad at me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Randallteal posted:

*pasty ex-cubicle drone, crying while shoving fistfuls of mushy salmonberries into their gullet*: "Don't worry Penny *chomp* *slurp* just a few more months of not paying for *gulp* meals, utilities, or property taxes and I can whisk *gag* you away from your life of *snrf* poverty to the two room recently abandoned woods shed of your dreams!"

please stop posting excerpts from my life

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Most cooking is useless, some cooking is great.

You just need a steady source of + speed and a good source of +luck for the caves. Also some +Fishing for legendary fish. Nothing else really matters. I guess +farming can get you some extra cash on a big harvest day if you don't have your winery yet.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Randallteal posted:

I often go several days without eating. Particularly in the late game when energy becomes almost infinite due to how efficient your tools are and stardrops and you’re only eating for buffs or health restoration

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

After a certain point of money making, I spend all day loving wired from espresso. It even works on my horse. Gus, another 300 coffees to go please.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

After a certain point of money making, I spend all day loving wired from espresso. It even works on my horse. Gus, another 300 coffees to go please.

Don’t post my life please

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

"Honey, we need to talk."
What's up, sweetums?
"Two things. One, please stop calling me sweetums. Secondly, do you really need to use that flute when the horse is only 20 feet away? Think of the example you're setting for little Hairyballs."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eric the Mauve posted:

Shane only counts because he doesn't have any ambitions, but yeah. Pretty much.

Penny reads to me as the best person among the eligibles, just a huge heart all around and all she wants out of life is a stable loving family, but no way in hell would I marry her--she is going to be a serious ball of neuroses and have a bad abandonment complex all her life, plus Pam makes a way better drinking buddy than mother-in-law. The thought of marrying Sebastian or Abigail and chaining them to the Valley just makes me sad.

Abigail just wants to get away from her parents, not the valley itself. She also mentions she loved exploring the farm before you moved in, as well as wanting to try delving into the Mines, so living on the farm's fantastic as far as she's concerned.

Also age-wise, I took most of them for being mostly about 23-ish on average (maybe 18-20 for Sam and Maru). Just starting their adult lives in earnest, and in some cases it's getting stifling being around their parents.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Abigail just wants to get away from her parents, not the valley itself. She also mentions she loved exploring the farm before you moved in, as well as wanting to try delving into the Mines, so living on the farm's fantastic as far as she's concerned.

Also age-wise, I took most of them for being mostly about 23-ish on average (maybe 18-20 for Sam and Maru). Just starting their adult lives in earnest, and in some cases it's getting stifling being around their parents.

Harvey's old enough that he points out that it's harder to stay in shape the older you get and that it's wearing on him. Dude always strikes me as like drat 40.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midnight Voyager posted:

Harvey's old enough that he points out that it's harder to stay in shape the older you get and that it's wearing on him. Dude always strikes me as like drat 40.

Same. I took Shane for early 30's too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mactheknife posted:

cooking is the one thing in the game i have never bothered with, even one single time

It's alright for a few things you can mass produce, and some stat boosts

triple shot espresso - you're going to be drinking coffee at all times anyway, why not do it 3x less often?
crab cakes - ingredients are easy once crab pots are running, eat one per day for some extra speed
sashimi - income boost for some crab pot output, and the easiest path to the "fresh food" Qi quest
lucky lunch - obnoxious to make, but +3 luck in the skull caverns is nice for getting deeper. also breaks the slot machines
ginger ale - nothing wrong with another +1 luck
lobster bisque - easy enough to source, and makes fishing a lot less painful

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

"Honey, we need to talk."
What's up, sweetums?
"Two things. One, please stop calling me sweetums. Secondly, do you really need to use that flute when the horse is only 20 feet away? Think of the example you're setting for little Hairyballs."

Between the return scepter, horse flute, obelisks, and mini obelisk, it's a miracle there are never any teleportation related mishaps. But it's worth the risk not to walk that 20 feet.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 8, 2022

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I just bought like 300 crab cakes and coffees from Gus so now I can zip around at full speed at all times

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Me: "Hey, so, Sebastian, I got you this."
*offers a plate of room temperature carp sashimi*
Sebastian: "I love this. How did you know?"

Carp sashimi? Get a load of the fancy farmer over here making sashimi out of fish instead of random semi-aquatic critters that are somehow barely surviving in their runoff-filled farm pond amid the massive piles of soggy newspapers and broken CDs...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think pretty much all the singles could be read as anywhere from late teens to early thirties, depending on what you'd prefer, other than Harvey hopefully being a licensed doctor, and Sebastian and Emily being elder siblings. Their floor is a touch higher.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think pretty much all the singles could be read as anywhere from late teens to early thirties, depending on what you'd prefer, other than Harvey hopefully being a licensed doctor, and Sebastian and Emily being elder siblings. Their floor is a touch higher.

I think Robin and Demetrius set the bar, because they're probably like late-30's to early/mid 40's. That limits Sebastian to about early-20's at the latest, and if he's about par for everyone else, or slightly older, you can extrapolate the others from there that aren't the three explicitly-stated older bachelors (Elliot, Harvey and Shane).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think Robin and Demetrius set the bar, because they're probably like late-30's to early/mid 40's. That limits Sebastian to about early-20's at the latest, and if he's about par for everyone else, or slightly older, you can extrapolate the others from there that aren't the three explicitly-stated older bachelors (Elliot, Harvey and Shane).

Leah's ex and career drama probably puts her floor at mid-20s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pseudodragon posted:

Leah's ex and career drama probably puts her floor at mid-20s.

Fair, also I honestly keep forgetting she exists with how often she's holed up in her home.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Emily is ~25

and Clint is ~40

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I'M HIT! I'M HIT!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

And you can put any fish and some of the crab pot boys in ponds on your farm, but you don't get any experience from fishing them out.

I guess this is so you can't just throw a fish into the pond and fish it out for easy XP. This is going to be useful for my Level 0 game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

tom bob-ombadil posted:

I guess this is so you can't just throw a fish into the pond and fish it out for easy XP. This is going to be useful for my Level 0 game.

Pretty much. Yanking a fish out of the fish pond doesn't incur the minigame either, so it's at least braindead. Still, you have to get the fish in there first, somehow. Dunno how you do that without gaining fishing XP.

According to the wiki, however, pulling out the additional items fish ponds generate (like roe and whatever) DOES increase your Fishing skill, so watch out. I guess you can wait for the fish to reproduce, then yank a fish out with a fishing rod to sell or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'M HIT! I'M HIT!

:same: