Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Taima posted:

I was just wondering- are the only QD OLED models out right now the Samsung one and the Sony version based on the same panel?

Yes.

Taima posted:

It's hard to understand where the technology is going. Will more sizes be available soon? Is there some solid reason to wait until next year?

Within the next two to three years, likely yes, next year, likely no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's my understanding that an upcoming revision of HDMI will permit meaningful amounts of power, but one way only? Or something? HDMI is confusing.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/hdmi_s_latest_revision_adds_hdmi_cable_power_to_make_longer_cables_possible/1

I have no idea what the timescales are for this being a thing you can actually use though.

E: Also I might be entirely misunderstanding and all this will do is turn a cable active

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fedule posted:

It's my understanding that an upcoming revision of HDMI will permit meaningful amounts of power, but one way only? Or something? HDMI is confusing.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/hdmi_s_latest_revision_adds_hdmi_cable_power_to_make_longer_cables_possible/1

I have no idea what the timescales are for this being a thing you can actually use though.

E: Also I might be entirely misunderstanding and all this will do is turn a cable active

They don't talk about it, but in theory this should help powering HDMI stick type devices. The article exclusively is speaking about allowing more power for longer HDMI cables that need HDMI 2.0/2.1 bandwidth.

When they say one-way, they mean you need to plug input side of cable into input, output to output. Currently, you can plug either side of an HDMI cable into input or output.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Welp, the LG C1 77" just dropped to 2400 and I've been planning to pull the trigger on it this month. Upgrading from a 75" Samsung TU7000 LED.

For the last time, because I'm weak and need reassurance -- this is a good buy, right? If I'm using it a couple hours a day it's not gonna die on me in a couple years? I get amazingly nervous any time I spend this kind of money.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All I’ll say is

One of us one of us we accept you we accept you

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Phenotype posted:

Welp, the LG C1 77" just dropped to 2400 and I've been planning to pull the trigger on it this month. Upgrading from a 75" Samsung TU7000 LED.

For the last time, because I'm weak and need reassurance -- this is a good buy, right? If I'm using it a couple hours a day it's not gonna die on me in a couple years? I get amazingly nervous any time I spend this kind of money.

The C1 is among the best TVs you can buy, especially for gaming.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay I did it AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

It'll be here next Friday and I just threw up a craigslist post for my current TV. I hope it sells, I have no idea what to do with it once the new one shows up. I don't even have a room that can handle another TV that big!

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 7, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Just bought a C1 65". It's incredible. I haven't even calibrated it yet and it's an enormous upgrade for me.

If you get it from Costco (same price as everywhere else), it includes an extra 3 years of Allstate warranty for free if that makes you feel better. And if you have a big car you can get it today.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hah, I sure did go for Costco! Not just for the extra warranty (and their great customer service), but for an extra $19.99 they'll unbox it and set it up for me. I mean, I know how to plug in a TV, but for $20 I'll let them be the ones to worry about dropping it or grabbing it in the wrong place and damaging the screen.

Thanks for the moral support, guys!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fedule posted:

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/cablepower has some more details, this spec turns the maximum supported power up to 300ma from the current 50ma, which is still less than plain old standard non-PD non-quickcharge USB.

It'll be good for active cables, many of which already draw more than 50ma and just rely on source devices being willing to provide more power than the spec officially allows, but wouldn't be able to power a TV stick reliably. A CCwGTV pulls more than double that on average while streaming 4K HDR content.

Also it's just on the source end, not the sink, so it wouldn't even be available to a stick.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Just bought a C1 65". It's incredible. I haven't even calibrated it yet and it's an enormous upgrade for me.

If you get it from Costco (same price as everywhere else), it includes an extra 3 years of Allstate warranty for free if that makes you feel better. And if you have a big car you can get it today.

i've never really been around a costco or shopped there or had any interest to. do i absolutely need to be a member to buy a tv from them?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

i've never really been around a costco or shopped there or had any interest to. do i absolutely need to be a member to buy a tv from them?

Yes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yes, but Costco rules so you should have a membership anyway if you live anywhere near one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'm the only one in my household and I still have a costco membership. They only charge like 20 cents extra for higher octane gas rather than the 50+ cents everywhere else charges so it's not easy to make back the membership cost in that alone.

They are also one of the few mega stores like that where you can actually feel ok supporting them. https://www.yahoo.com/video/why-costco-pays-its-180000-workers-way-more-than-the-minimum-wage-120358716.html

They are paid much better than any other retail job and you can tell when you go into the store as people seem actually happy to be at work.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gotcha. yea, for the last 20yr i lived in new york city and there was no real way of doing costco proper. gently caress if i'm going to carry bulk items on a subway. and even then, where the hell am i going to store them in my 400ft^2 apartment?

but yea, having finally moved out, it's probably time to explore the wonders of costco. especially if they're truly that much better on televisions and gas.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone should install a custom launcher on their TV and free themselves from the adpocalypse

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 8, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This is basically what my AppleTV Home Screen looks like?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Haven't seen my TV's home screen/dashboard/launcher/whatever since I first set it up

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sony A80J 65" has just been reduced in my country from 681KWD to 585KWD. Should I just buy it at this price? Eid is right round the corner which is basically Muslim Christmas, so I dunno if it'll reduce further. Amazon says the lowest it's ever sold for is 1798USD, which is about 100 dollars cheaper than what it's going for here. I think I might just go for it lol

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 8, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

To me $100 is a small trade for the peace of mind of not checking prices constantly and looking for the best deal, and all the time you'll have to enjoy the tv instead of waiting for the price to maybe drop.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I sure did go for Costco! Not just for the extra warranty (and their great customer service), but for an extra $19.99 they'll unbox it and set it up for me. I mean, I know how to plug in a TV, but for $20 I'll let them be the ones to worry about dropping it or grabbing it in the wrong place and damaging the screen.

Thanks for the moral support, guys!

For you and everyone else that got it through Costco, don't forget to do the Costco promo for $100 credit towards Google Play, Paramount+, Showtime, Sling TV, or Xbox

https://www.lg-promos.com/tvoffer

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

To me $100 is a small trade for the peace of mind of not checking prices constantly and looking for the best deal, and all the time you'll have to enjoy the tv instead of waiting for the price to maybe drop.

Ordered. I just really hate giving this company money. The way it works in this country is really powerful merchant families will buy up all the rights to sell certain brands (Sony, Toshiba, Chevrolet etc.) and then grotesquely markup the MSRP and you can't buy the product from anyone else because competitors don't exist and it's an actual monopoly trade market lol

Anyway, this is probably the best it'll get. It's arriving on Tuesday :discourse:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

For you and everyone else that got it through Costco, don't forget to do the Costco promo for $100 credit towards Google Play, Paramount+, Showtime, Sling TV, or Xbox

https://www.lg-promos.com/tvoffer

Thanks for this, I 100% forgot.

For the normal goon, “Xbox streaming credit” is just 10x:10bux: Xbox store credit for whatever.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Thanks for this, I 100% forgot.

For the normal goon, “Xbox streaming credit” is just 10x:10bux: Xbox store credit for whatever.

No problem. If your TV has been set up in such a way that you can't get to your serial number easily (like mine), hit the Mute button on the remote a bunch (I think it's 5 times?) to bring up a menu to see the serial number and disable the LG logo when powering off if you want

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

Everyone should install a custom launcher on their TV and free themselves from the adpocalypse

How do you do this? Which launcher is this? New to android TVs, thanks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I was going to say can I do that on my LG C1 because I'm sick of the stock launcher

I hate it so much

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I really dislike the lg g1 remote. A wand / mouse pointer interface is really slow.

If you can, grab the lg akb74475433 remote. It works completely, and has really good dedicated buttons in a good interface.

Only caveat is no Home button. This doesn't impact my use cases at all. If I needed that single feature, I can just ask the TV aloud to go home.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

How do you do this? Which launcher is this? New to android TVs, thanks.

It's FLauncher and you can get it on the Google Play store. The only downside is that when your TV has been off for long enough (or you do a hard reset), it will default back to the original launcher unless you are comfortable doing developer command stuff to your TV (which I am not)

https://gitlab.com/flauncher/flauncher

KingSlime posted:

I was going to say can I do that on my LG C1 because I'm sick of the stock launcher

I hate it so much

Probably not because LG runs their own OS they bought from someone (HP I think?) instead of Android.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 8, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I need to buy an office/spare bedroom TV. I’m eyeing the 55” Sony A80J because it’s $999 and that’s about what I’m looking to spend. It’s actually marginally cheaper than the equivalent LG C1, and I’ve heard anecdotally that it’s a smidge better in picture quality and motion handling, at the expense of being a smidge worse for gaming (which doesn’t matter to me at all for this TV).

My only problem is the devil on my shoulder whispering “don’t pay for last year’s model - the new ones are only $700 more!”

Am I really missing out on anything huge by picking up the A80J instead of the A80K (or the C1 instead of the C2 for that matter)?

Also, side note, I see the version Costco sells is actually the “A80CJ” - I assume that just designates that it’s the Costco version, but other than that there’s no difference?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 9, 2022

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

OldSenileGuy posted:

I need to buy an office/spare bedroom TV. I’m eyeing the 55” Sony A80J because it’s $999 and that’s about what I’m looking to spend. It’s actually marginally cheaper than the equivalent LG C1, and I’ve heard anecdotally that it’s a smidge better in picture quality and motion handling, at the expense of being a smidge worse for gaming (which doesn’t matter to me at all for this TV).

My only problem is the devil on my shoulder whispering “don’t pay for last year’s model - the new ones are only $700 more!”

Am I really missing out on anything huge by picking up the A80J instead of the A80K (or the C1 instead of the C2 for that matter)?

Also, side note, I see the version Costco sells is actually the “A80CJ” - I assume that just designates that it’s the Costco version, but other than that there’s no difference?

The model Costco sells has a 3-year warranty, a physical switch on the left-hand side of the TV to turn off the microphone, and 24 months/10 movie credits for Bravia Core instead of 12/5 like the normal A80J. The packaging on the Costco model is a little cheaper, too, in that they want you to tear into the box instead of lifting it off. If you carefully cut the tape on the bottom, it will still slide off though and I recommend doing that and saving the box in case you need to move it in the future.

If you really want to spend more money, just spend a fraction of that on the backlit metal remote that comes with the A90J because it works with the A80J/A80CJ. The buttons also have a click to them instead of feeling mushy.

There weren't any available at my local warehouse when I checked on the 2nd, so I ordered one online and scheduled delivery for the 7th. Got a robocall on the 6th saying it wasn't going to be delivered and it instructed me to reschedule. The next date out was 8 days later so I wound up canceling the online order after discovering my local warehouse had gotten about a dozen in that same day. None of them were out on the floor yet.

The TV's VRR works fine as long as you go into the Google TV settings and change the input to "VRR" before connecting the HDMI cable to a GPU or console. It supports 4:4:4 at 4k/120 with VRR enabled on either of the two HDMI 2.1 ports as long as you are using a 48 Gbps cable, at least with an RTX 3xxx series GPU. I know you said it doesn't matter in your case, but I wanted to add it in case anyone else is interested.

Sound quality on the Sony is nearly infinitely better than the C1, esecially once you change it off the default audio preset to something like cinema. Can't really recommend the $1,100 soundbar that will let your $1,000 TV act as a center channel though. :v:

Picture settings are controlled on a per-input or per-app basis so be prepared to toggle some settings to your taste. That said, the out of the box picture quality is way higher than either of the C1s that I helped friends configure over the past year and it's a matter of changing a handful of settings instead of doing deep dives into test patterns.

The built-in apps support advanced features of some streaming services like Dolby Vision or IMAX Enhanced. Bravia Core requires ~115 Mbps or faster internet access for its highest quality streaming, but in Sony's infinite wisdom, they used a 100 Mbit ethernet port. You'll need to use either a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter with a specific chipset for wired or 5 GHz WiFi if you want to use it properly. I haven't run into any issues using WiFi in a particularly congested area, but ymmv.

The Sony has an ATSC 3.0 tuner and the LG C1 doesn't if you're gonna be connecting an OTA antenna.

Finally, if you go to Settings > Accounts & Sign In > select acct > Apps only mode - This will remove all the ads except one from the home screen. No more garbage tv/movie recommendations. no I don't want to watch the last 27 minutes of the adventures of pluto nash free with ads.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 9, 2022

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is there a reason why this mount wouldn't work for a 48" LG C1? It says it's for 50-86" TVs. I know the 48" C1 uses a VESA 300x200, which this mount says it supports.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Ultra-Slim-Full-Motion-TV-Wall-Mount-50-86/501824999

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Bloodplay it again posted:

Tons of Sony info

Wow, thanks for all that! Quick question for you or anyone that keeps track of prices more than I do - even though I’m willing to pay $999 for it, obviously I’d love to get it cheaper. Does anyone know if it’s worth waiting for Prime Day to pull the trigger on this? Or does Prime Day usually only discount the lower end TVs?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The internet keeps insisting that the A80J is brighter than the C1, but does that also imply the C1 might have a longer lifespan with respect to burn-in?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Are there any significant differences between the LG C2 and the Sony A80K? I was looking to get either in a 77 inch. Only have a PS4 pro for a console right now but was hoping to get a ps5 and maybe an xbox series down the road.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Sony only has two 4k@120hz HDMI ports, which might matter if you aren't using an 8K capable receiver and you plan on having more than two devices that can support them. Otherwise, I think the biggest differences are that the Sony has better built-in speakers and the Sony runs Google TV and the LG runs their own (garbage) OS. Reviewers say the Sony is better factory calibrated and has a better upscaler as well.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

The Sony only has two 4k@120hz HDMI ports, which might matter if you aren't using an 8K capable receiver and you plan on having more than two devices that can support them. Otherwise, I think the biggest differences are that the Sony has better built-in speakers and the Sony runs Google TV and the LG runs their own (garbage) OS. Reviewers say the Sony is better factory calibrated and has a better upscaler as well.

Do I need an 8k capable receiver? I was planning to get a receiver since I wanted to get a speaker set up so I don't know if the limited port thing matters too much unless there's something I'm missing. Judging from your comments, the A80K is the better option over the C2 overall?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Do I need an 8k capable receiver? I was planning to get a receiver since I wanted to get a speaker set up so I don't know if the limited port thing matters too much unless there's something I'm missing. Judging from your comments, the A80K is the better option over the C2 overall?

If you want to run 4k@120, yes you need an 8k capable receiver.

I ended up with the A80J myself, which is one step down, but very similar I think.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The A80k just came out and a consensus hasn’t been reached yet on its performance. It’s not even entirely clear yet whether it’s an upgrade over the A80j or if it’s fully a carryover model that’s using a slightly different panel (in the 55” and 65” sizes).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My 15yo TV is finally dying and Prime Day is coming up so I'm going to buy a new TV. I need a little help

Almost everything in my house is Sony and I like them as a brand so I want a Sony 65" 4K TV mostly because my wife got me a PS5 for my birthday and I want to be able to fully utilize the 4K and I want to minimize burn in

I have most of the modern game consoles and my wife and I watch Netflix and Prime and we also have movies on our Plex server

My main question is this: what are the meaningful differences between all the different Sony 65" 4K TVs? I did a search on Amazon and my local large electronics dealer and there are at least 5 different models that all seem very similar. As I said, I haven't bought a new TV in 15 years and even though I read the OP I still can't really tell the difference between all the models

Is there an easy simple answer to this question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Elephant Ambush posted:

My 15yo TV is finally dying and Prime Day is coming up so I'm going to buy a new TV. I need a little help

Almost everything in my house is Sony and I like them as a brand so I want a Sony 65" 4K TV mostly because my wife got me a PS5 for my birthday and I want to be able to fully utilize the 4K and I want to minimize burn in

I have most of the modern game consoles and my wife and I watch Netflix and Prime and we also have movies on our Plex server

My main question is this: what are the meaningful differences between all the different Sony 65" 4K TVs? I did a search on Amazon and my local large electronics dealer and there are at least 5 different models that all seem very similar. As I said, I haven't bought a new TV in 15 years and even though I read the OP I still can't really tell the difference between all the models

Is there an easy simple answer to this question?

What’s your budget?