Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wait, preferred class comes into it as well? I was looking forward to being able to pass on Fimbulvetr and Bolting from Marianne and Holst, and was disappointed to get them to level 3 and see that none of them was teachable, so I just assumed that elemental magic isn't trainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah characters can only teach skills from their preferred classes. I guess you could get Bolting from Constance but I don't think there's anyone that can teach ice spells. :shrug:

E: Or does Constance also learn Fimbulvetr? I think she had that in Houses.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 8, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rand Brittain posted:

Wait, preferred class comes into it as well? I was looking forward to being able to pass on Fimbulvetr and Bolting from Marianne and Holst, and was disappointed to get them to level 3 and see that none of them was teachable, so I just assumed that elemental magic isn't trainable.

Yes, preferred class comes into it as well. So Shez can teach others Windsweep, Mortal Struggle, and Dark Spikes T because those are the Combat Arts/Spells he learns from his preferred classes that 1. Isn't a Class exclusive Combat Art (Swift Slice). 2. Isn't universally learned by everyone (Astra, Haze Slice).

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah characters can only teach skills from their preferred classes. I guess you could get Bolting from Constance but I don't think there's anyone that can teach ice spells. :shrug:

You can get Fimbulvetr from Constance as well since she learns it alongside Bolting.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah sure, you CAN just run with what a character gets naturally, but also I want Shez to throw lightning beams like Goku

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean Shez gets Shadowblade which is one of the best combat arts in the game. The small damage description is a loving lie. It also costs 4 durability with buffs and has basically no cooldown. And then they also learn Dark Spikes if you want to just murder cavalry (since you're usually using swords and most cav are lance)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Yeah sure, you CAN just run with what a character gets naturally, but also I want Shez to throw lightning beams like Goku

I'll probably teach him all the lightning spells too, if I'm to be honest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I'm definitely not unlocking Shez' full potential since I don't want to take physic off them. Being able to instantly teleport to a stronghold captain/allied unit and heal them is just such good utility that I'm okay with losing a bit of murder potential.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Isn't there a symbol on teachable combat arts and spells so you can tell at a glance? I'm pretty sure Shez can teach Dark Spikes for example, since it has that little ... symbol over it that their other spells don't have. The hardest part would be double checking that the character you're trying to teach something to doesn't learn it naturally so you don't waste your time.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Eopia posted:

Isn't there a symbol on teachable combat arts and spells so you can tell at a glance? I'm pretty sure Shez can teach Dark Spikes for example, since it has that little ... symbol over it that their other spells don't have. The hardest part would be double checking that the character you're trying to teach something to doesn't learn it naturally so you don't waste your time.

It only shows up once the skill is level 3, so if you don't remember all the rules you might waste a lot of time leveling up their skill only to find it's not teachable from this person.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
How do you tell if you've successfully taught the combat art mid mission anyway? I haven't actually managed to do so yet so I'm wondering if it's obvious or if you'll only find out once the mission is over.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The only thing I've seen is a tiny and fast text pop up of 'teaching successful' above your character after you use the art. It's really easy to miss.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Eimi posted:

The only thing I've seen is a tiny and fast text pop up of 'teaching successful' above your character after you use the art. It's really easy to miss.

Yeah I apparently succeeded in teaching Aura to Shez in this last stage but I didn't notice anything at all during the stage itself. At least there's a screen in the mission results that shows it clearly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It also gives a much more visible notification after the combat is over while it's passing out job XP.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
What are the rules for Dancer in this game? Still only one? I'm not far enough in AG to have encountered it yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

What are the rules for Dancer in this game? Still only one? I'm not far enough in AG to have encountered it yet.

Everyone can be it, it's a master sword class, you need to have mastered assassin or swordmaster to change into. It's the best sword class besides Enlightened One as well. It thoroughly owns.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
One thing to note about Dancer is that it does -not- counter axe classes, unlike all the other sword based ones, it instead counters tomes. It has a really fun moveset though, I like it.

Speaking of spells that can be taught, an NG+ bonus character Sothis to be specific can teach Fimbulvetr, Ragnarok, Bolting, and Agnea's Arrow. For some reason although they know it and it's from their preferred line, they can't teach Excalibur though.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2022

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Dancer is also the only way for women to even have tome-buster.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 8, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wish I jived with the dancer moveset more but it just feels really stilted to me for some reason. Granted I'm also apparently the only person playing this game who prefers bow knight to sniper, so maybe I'm the odd one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It happens, I've had multiple people say falcoknight is amazing and I just don't like it compared to dark knight. How it happens.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So does anyone know who can teach Excalibur, or can it just not be taught at all? I've taught Shez almost every top tier spell now because I can but I'm missing that one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eopia posted:

So does anyone know who can teach Excalibur, or can it just not be taught at all? I've taught Shez almost every top tier spell now because I can but I'm missing that one.

Annette.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Eopia posted:

One thing to note about Dancer is that it does -not- counter axe classes, unlike all the other sword based ones, it instead counters tomes. It has a really fun moveset though, I like it.

Speaking of spells that can be taught, an NG+ bonus character Sothis to be specific can teach Fimbulvetr, Ragnarok, Bolting, and Agnea's Arrow. For some reason although they know it and it's from their preferred line, they can't teach Excalibur though.

It's because Sothis learns Excalibur from the beginner Class Monk, and beginner classes are explicitly not preferred classes.

Eopia posted:

You need either Annette or Linhardt if you want to learn Excalibur. Annette learns it in Warlock, and Linhardt learns it in Dark Bishop.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eopia posted:

I've taught Shez almost every top tier spell now because I can

It hadn't occurred to me to attempt this, but now I have to

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

It hadn't occurred to me to attempt this, but now I have to

Of note:

Most Dark Spells are good to learn on Shez.

Thoron and Bolting are super useful. They cover most situations fairly well.

Fire is poo poo, but it's also probably the only spell that is worse than average.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hubert wondering why Lady Edelgard put the airhead mercenary in charge of the war chest, his blood pressure steadily rising as he goes down the list of army expenditures, seeing thousands of gold being dumped into surprise birthday presents for soldiers, paying redundant battalions that are perpetually on standby “because we never know when we might need them”, forging priceless swords that are tossed away a week later because they were far outclassed by something we found lying in the dirt, making the army’s best archers train to use battle axes because “they’d look cool in big armor”

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Augus posted:

Hubert wondering why Lady Edelgard put the airhead mercenary in charge of the war chest, his blood pressure steadily rising as he goes down the list of army expenditures, seeing thousands of gold being dumped into surprise birthday presents for soldiers, paying redundant battalions that are perpetually on standby “because we never know when we might need them”, forging priceless swords that are tossed away a week later because they were far outclassed by something we found lying in the dirt, making the army’s best archers train to use battle axes because “they’d look cool in big armor”

You shut your mouth.

Hubert understands that this is how logistics works. That, and murder.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Shez also beats tens of thousands of gold out of the enemy in every skirmish, so it all works out in the end.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do like how Hubert is the only person with a sane reaction to Shez going insane and attacking their allies in the secret mission and when you talk to him again he's all "I advocated heavily for executing you but, alas, Lady Edelgard did not agree. Watch your loving rear end though."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Speaking of battalions, is there a way to organize them by the rank of resistance they grant? Sorting by authority doesn't quite work, especially when they get odd icons (ie dancers have the sword icon but resist tomes because dancer does), and my brain is too trained by the weapon triangle. I'd like to not have to read the description on every battalion when I go to pick them after a class change.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Augus posted:

"What's this pile of materials and 1500 gold for?"
"...I wanted to take you on a date later."

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

"Why are we paying 200K gold to the tactics instructor?"

"Just trust me it'll make everything so much better."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like to imagine the response people had to me buying 600 swords and then donating them for an absurd amount of smithing stones in response.

Also I unironically dislike all the mounted skillsets. I'll take Dark Knight because it's at least mostly fun but the rest just feel weird to me to the point I'd usually dismount unless I really needed to get somewhere.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Clawtopsy posted:

Randolph directly states that Hubert has been killed.

Necroposting so may have been addressed already, AG/SB combo spoilers(ish),

It's stated in-game as "Marquis Vestra", which in hindsight probably means Hubert but also could arguably mean his dad, depending on whether or not timeskip events played out identically-- isn't Hubert's title "Count" after he offs his dad?

I did AG after SB and the fact that only his dad is ever referred to as that by nearly everyone did make me assume Hubert was probably just "missing" and wasn't dumb enough to get killed but :iiam: that may never actually be addressed

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 9, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

Regarding AG whoever said one of the biggest problems outside the yikes Edelgard stuff is that the Lions are just boring now is pretty bang on. The writing magically solves all of their hangups and character flaws off screen during the time skip, but rarely if ever replaces them with anything new or interesting. Dimitri calmly and rationally works his way through the web of mystery to obtain his revenge and never even shows a hint of crazy, even when he does have some reason to suspect Edelgard is involved. Felix is now a Duke and his chiding of Dimitri is less petulant and more trying to advise him, and hell if you get him to an A support with his dad they even sit down to a heart to heart where Rodrigue apologizes for the big instigating incident of their rift and Felix goes "oh okay cool." Sylvain is no longer a skirt chaser primarly because he's no longer anything, even the knowledge that his brother has been press ganged into helping as a general barely phases him. Ingrid gets to play knight with no obligations to her homeland and is also now not racist. Annette just gets her dad back. It reads like a lazy fix fic in a lot of cases.

Agreed re: Sylvain, the only characterization of interest that stood out to me was his support with Yuri, which I did enjoy because A. the idea of Sylvain being a spy mastermind is great and I wish they had done more with that and B. It's exceptionally gay

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I like to imagine the response people had to me buying 600 swords and then donating them for an absurd amount of smithing stones in response.

Also I unironically dislike all the mounted skillsets. I'll take Dark Knight because it's at least mostly fun but the rest just feel weird to me to the point I'd usually dismount unless I really needed to get somewhere.

Dimbly's personal class is too fun to be locked on one character. Aside from a romance dlc, my biggest desire is class dlc to get a master foot lance and axe class, get the missing Ashen Wolve's classes so ladies can punch and we get mounted mages. Also maybe add in a mounted sword user. Not that swords need more classes but it is an opening.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bernie and Dimitri have an A support. My God I need to see this poo poo.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bernie and Dimitri have an A support. My God I need to see this poo poo.

It's not great, imo. It has the issue a lot of Bernie supports have where it's just entirely comedy with no actual development or stuff being learned.

But I'm also the person who disliked Bernie in 3h because I felt she had too much comedy in her supports, and not enough seriousness, feelings, or deep talk.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I enjoyed her C support with Hapi but I'm a sucker for characters having two different conversations without realizing it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

It's not great, imo. It has the issue a lot of Bernie supports have where it's just entirely comedy with no actual development or stuff being learned.

But I'm also the person who disliked Bernie in 3h because I felt she had too much comedy in her supports, and not enough seriousness, feelings, or deep talk.

I enjoy Bernie and that's easily one of her worst supports. It's just very Bernie is scared of new person. No development of her character at all. Or Dimbly either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I feel like Bernie is one of the bigger victims of Hopes only being a two year timeskip because she has a gimmick and unlike in Houses she's not gotten (mostly) over it by the later part of the game. As a result a lot of her supports are just "lol Bernie is scared and wants to hide!" with little nuance to them. They're not bad, they're just kinda weak.