Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Saw a new Ranger on a transporter today:

Then tonight I see the new VW Amarok announced, which is also a Ranger now.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/all-new-volkswagen-amarok-here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never had a pickup but I could see myself getting a pickup for light hauling/moving reasons.

it certainly wouldn't look like that behemoth though.

I wish new vehicles looked like this :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Put enough effort into an old vehicle and it'll look new again.

Elephanthead posted:

Sorry alway prioritize the car why are you even posting on AI? YOU Can’t drive a house!!!!!

Posting from my 4wd turbo'd house that i drove up the side of a mountain. :haw:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 7, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've never had a pickup but I could see myself getting a pickup for light hauling/moving reasons.

it certainly wouldn't look like that behemoth though.

That companies are too cowardly to even produce graphics packages for their cars these days says a lot. Same with bikes, they use to look rad and now just look a bit samey.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Put enough effort into an old vehicle and it'll look new again.

Yea but it'll still have the features/safety of an old car :(

e;^^ You could get some pretty sweet tacky graphics on the various Anniversary editions of the 370Z :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just like really angular design over the "make this as oval as possible" design choice of new cars. I don't get a toot if it gives 5mpg more

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just like really angular design over the "make this as oval as possible" design choice of new cars. I don't get a toot if it gives 5mpg more

Agreed, which is why the Ioniq 5 is :krad:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sab669 posted:

e;^^ You could get some pretty sweet tacky graphics on the various Anniversary editions of the 370Z :v:

That's so loving lazy, lmao.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You could get that from the factory?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Agreed, which is why the Ioniq 5 is :krad:

This is a joke post, right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I too think the Ioniq 5 rules and very much am into what Hyundai's design language is like. This switching over to EV by companies is pretty cool on the exterior when they do something rad, save for the screen overload on the interiors.
If we were to get a brand new car right now and didn't have to fight with dealerships and the supply chain and markups, it would be the Ioniq 5 easy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Basically the coolest/most unique CUV on the market.

The wheels don't look good, but I don't think there's an EV on the market that has "aerodynamic wheels" that do look good. Otherwise I love the pixel lights and hard lines.

e; actually the Lucid Air and Taycan have cool wheels, but I'm not sure those were optimized for maximum mileage per charge like most other EVs

double edit; I just noticed the spokes on the wheels go in the opposite direction of the lines on the wheel arches and that actually bugs me a lot now :v: but the actual bodywork is still great

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 7, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sab669 posted:

You could get that from the factory?

No but if you're selling an anniversary edition which is quite clearly leaning on past racing glories...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got'chya. I thought you meant lazy compared to what you could get, not lazy relative to its inspiration :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Basically the coolest/most unique CUV on the market.

The wheels don't look good, but I don't think there's an EV on the market that has "aerodynamic wheels" that do look good. Otherwise I love the pixel lights and hard lines.

e; actually the Lucid Air and Taycan have cool wheels, but I'm not sure those were optimized for maximum mileage per charge like most other EVs

double edit; I just noticed the spokes on the wheels go in the opposite direction of the lines on the wheel arches and that actually bugs me a lot now :v: but the actual bodywork is still great

They go the right direction if you’re looking at the other side of the car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

They go the right direction if you’re looking at the other side of the car.

And this is why directional wheels are poo poo

Unless you get truly directional pairs of wheels, which no one does

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
You can get a 22 Ranger with 90s graphics in the splash package but then you'd be buying a 22 Ranger.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If I'd thought of it earlier I'd have strongly considered ordering my Maverick in black and get something like the big grey/magenta swoosh graphics the 94 Ranger I learned to drive on had.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ford has done graphics more recently but usually only the high end packages like Raptors.

Or this crap on the "Everglades" :lol:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Yea but it'll still have the features/safety of an old car :(

Features is correctable. Safety... yeah can't fix that one. Ride shiny and chrome.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

Features is correctable. Safety... yeah can't fix that one. Ride shiny and chrome.

You can add in brakes and suspension that will be better. Thats a good safety fix.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You can add in brakes and suspension that will be better. Thats a good safety fix.

Yup. Throw a roll bar in the bed and some kind of side impact protection under the cab and you're mostly ok for everything that isn't offset frontal.
It'll still for the most part lack intelligent airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, and any kind of safety cell.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KakerMix posted:

My comment was on the fact that he was using a bulbous rounded crossover as an example of a car which is angular and not oval shaped.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If a car has angles other than 90 degrees it’s bulbous and round apparently.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My issue with the Ioniq 5 was the marketing deliberately used super tall models in the shots and it was never near any other vehicles. So when I eventually get next to one on the roads and I see it's the size of a Range Rover Evoque but styled like a hatchback my brain malfunctioned. Car big. :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 8, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My issue with the Ioniq 5 was the marketing deliberately used super tall models in the shots and it was never near any other vehicles. So when I eventually get next to one on the roads and I see it's the size of a Range Rover Evoque but styled like a hatchback my brain malfunctioned. Car big. :v:

I don’t think Hyundai was trying to hide that their SUV was SUV sized.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

So Ionic5 is still waiting for its crazy spec reveal right? Which I'm guessing is the N? I saw a Ev6 GT at Goodwood Hill without any camo, so it sounds like that's all locked in specs wise. Weird the Ionic 5 N is still running around with camo. Hopefully this means the outside is changing a bit to make it stand out. It's a bit sad to me when they don't change the body in any way and just increase the HP and price. Make it stand out a bit from the base models fuckers!
And then Gv60's crazy one is just the performance spec yes?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The Ioniq 5 N is going to be super tempting if we get some fender flares and wider tires. As in, enticing enough to lure me away from old German V8 shitboxes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My comment was on the fact that he was using a bulbous rounded crossover as an example of a car which is angular and not oval shaped.

I mean other than like a Wrangler or G-Wagon what is actually boxy nowadays

Sure, yea I suppose the Ioniq is still a bit "soft" but it's nowhere near as bad as like the GV60 or any of BMW/Mercs "Coupe SUVs" -- those are "as oval as possible"

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 8, 2022

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Sorry I guess I should just get to the point: All CUVs are trash.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rude.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

nobody cares

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Harsh, but fair.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
The other day someone's new Corolla hatchback with a deep thrummy exhaust and a rear window spoiler passed by me and for one moment I thought it was a newly released GR Corolla. I had to check the sides and it didn't have the flared fenders and vents or a third c

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/P33Xz4/s1/20220601_03_05.jpg
v
https://di-uploads-pod3.dealerinspire.com/toyotaofclermont/uploads/2018/05/2019-Corolla-Hatchback.jpg

By the time I decided to look into getting one, every dealership in my area has stopped taking pre-orders for the six thousand or so that'll be shipped this year to the US. I guess its a consolation that many of these pre-orders are subject to "market condition adjustments" ($50k+ for a Focus RS)

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 8, 2022

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I test drove a KONA N a while back and it ruled. Tons of fun, pulled hard as hell for a FWD car and the value for the money was incredible.
Very stiff even on soft damper settings however if you lived anywhere with rear end roads (the entire us lol) you might regret it.

If the N team can give an EV the same treatment I think it would be a slam dunk.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

If the N team can give an EV the same treatment I think it would be a slam dunk.

I'm pretty curious as to what they're going to show off next Friday. Apparently a camo'd up Ioniq 5 N was spotted earlier this year. I'd totally daily one of those if an EV made sense for me lol.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There hasn't actually been any kind of statement or test or confirmation about the EV6 GT (and presumably 5 N) 1/4 mile times other than that drag race video they put out a long time ago, right?

Because that video is weird to me like it barely gets beat by the McLaren and barely beats the 911 Targa 4 but if I'm not mistaken the McLaren is a 10 second car and that particular 911 is like a low 12 second car. But they don't actually show the 911 crossing the line so I guess maybe it beats it by a lot? But they also show the Porsche ahead of a Urus and the Urus is a low 11 second car. Doesn't seem to make sense.

But based off the McLaren beating it by literally a car length it seems like they're saying it's a 10 second car which is insane and doesn't seem possible. At the very least it'd have to be a very low 11 second car which would make it faster than basically everything except the Plaids.

Does anyone know what the regular S does in the 1/4? Practically impossible to find stuff that isn't Plaid. Only thing I can find is lovely sites like carhp.com which are saying 10.7 but it seems like that's actually the old P100D with Ludicrous mode and not the regular current S. It could be though I guess it should be quicker that the 3P so it's gotta be low 11s at least I'd think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

There hasn't actually been any kind of statement or test or confirmation about the EV6 GT (and presumably 5 N) 1/4 mile times other than that drag race video they put out a long time ago, right?

Can you link this? If I search "mclaren vs hyundai" I get lots of results for McLarens and lots of results for Hyundais, but nothing featuring both lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Can you link this? If I search "mclaren vs hyundai" I get lots of results for McLarens and lots of results for Hyundais, but nothing featuring both lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcL-SYy_-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, KIA, right.

Hm, yea, that's... odd. Quick searching says mid 10's for the 570S, but mid/upper 11's for the 911 4.

I'm seeing a large range of figures for the Mustang Mach E but it's in the 12's. That video says it's got 100 more hp than the Ford, but it's down ~90 ft/lb. Assuming it'll be priced competitive with the Mach E GT, hard to imagine it's a full second faster there :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 8, 2022