Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mega Comrade posted:

Maybe to some. But I think in the grand scheme of things (of which him being a liar, racist and misogynist) I think its pretty insignificant.

Maybe just growing up and learning about all the "national security risk" bullshit people used to spout to keep gay people out of positions in power just has me sceptical there is any merit in that line of argument.

In this instance it's not what people are collectively thinking of, it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profumo_affair :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cimber posted:

I don't pay that much attention to Boris, being a yank, but my political blog I read had a writeup of his fobbles. Holy poo poo, is this all true?

1. Being sacked twice for lying (including by a former Tory leader)
  2. Calling Muslim women who wear face coverings "bank robbers" and "letter boxes"
  3. Referring to gay men as "tank-topped bumboys"
  4. Referring to Africans a "piccaninnies" with "watermelon smiles"
  5. Insulting Barack Obama as "half-Kenyan"
  6. Making a Russian oligarch a member of the House of Lords over objections from security services
  7. Allegedly promising to supply the home address of a journalist being targeted for physical attack
  8. Allowing illegal booze-ups in Downing Street while the 'little people' couldn't see dying loved ones
  9. Making false denials about said booze-ups in Parliament
  10. Enabling a sexual predator with a well-founded reputation for being so by promoting him to a position of power over others and then feigning ignorance of this

As a journalist he made up myths bout EU such as a directive on the straigthness of cucumbers, and this propaganda is still circulating among the anti-EU folks. But you already mentioned him as a liar...

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It's like something out of Doctor Strange, just absolute parallel universe poo poo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cimber posted:

I don't pay that much attention to Boris, being a yank, but my political blog I read had a writeup of his fobbles. Holy poo poo, is this all true?

1. Being sacked twice for lying (including by a former Tory leader)
  2. Calling Muslim women who wear face coverings "bank robbers" and "letter boxes"
  3. Referring to gay men as "tank-topped bumboys"
  4. Referring to Africans a "piccaninnies" with "watermelon smiles"
  5. Insulting Barack Obama as "half-Kenyan"
  6. Making a Russian oligarch a member of the House of Lords over objections from security services
  7. Allegedly promising to supply the home address of a journalist being targeted for physical attack
  8. Allowing illegal booze-ups in Downing Street while the 'little people' couldn't see dying loved ones
  9. Making false denials about said booze-ups in Parliament
  10. Enabling a sexual predator with a well-founded reputation for being so by promoting him to a position of power over others and then feigning ignorance of this

- Promised he would stand beside his local voters, he would lay down beside them against the bulldozers against the HR2 (or was it an airport runway I forget which), then hid when the vote happened.
- Promised NI businesses if they had any extra red tape over Brexit to phone him directly so he could throw it in the bin, then handed them more red tape on exports weeks after.

But lol just read this:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pajq48/timeline-boris-johnson-mistakes-bad

Edit: Best one is this:

quote:

Two months before he becomes Foreign Secretary, Bantsy Boris wins a £1,000 prize from The Spectator for writing a "lolz" limerick about Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. It goes: "There was a young fellow from Ankara / Who was a terrific wankerer / Till he sowed his wild oats / With the help of a goat / But he didn’t even stop to thankera."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, how about that time as Mayor of London when he got his Chief of Staff to threaten to beat the poo poo out of a journalist in a lift, because they'd written an article that was critical of him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I could definitely fight any politician in a lift and win.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Fool, how quickly you forget that Mark Francois was in the SAS and knows all the karate moves

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

OwlFancier posted:

Only a technicality, but I'm not sure a second combatant could even fit in a lift with Eric Pickles.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Barry Foster posted:

Fool, how quickly you forget that Mark Francois was in the SAS and knows all the karate moves

You just have to move to one of his flanks and he chokes himself out with his own shirt collar when he tries to turn his head to follow you

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

ed milliband was the leader of labour during the coalition government, 2010 to 2015. He ate a bacon sandwich in a slightly ungainly fashion and was photographed doing it, which was considered a terrible thing because clearly a man who cannot eat a bacon sandwich in a dignified fashion could never be prime minister, I say, in 2022, putting on the clown makeup.

In reality he just wasn't a very good leader, much in the same vein as starmer, wet fart liberal whose other most famous achievement was the edstone, where he engraved labour's policy commitments onto a giant rock as a stunt before the election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EdStone (oh my god it has its own wikipedia article)

I'm...having a problem seeing from those photos what he did wrong. People sometimes look awkward momentarily when eating or doing other bodily functions, and the camera just happened to snap the right moment.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He also mispronounced "tough enough" so clearly he wasn't fit to lead the country.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

he also worshiped the four ruinous powers, making him unelectable by loyal members of the Imperium of Man.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Was it ed or David who had two kitchens in their house

Also their father the radical Marxist spy who hated Britain

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Already posted but I'll post it again for the memories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

I'm...having a problem seeing from those photos what he did wrong. People sometimes look awkward momentarily when eating or doing other bodily functions, and the camera just happened to snap the right moment.
He was also Jewish, which of course the press had no problem with at all, and it's actually you (and Jeremy Corbyn ofc) who is the antisemite if you read too much into the dozens of articles about him being a North London geek who is bad at sport and the son of a Polish Marxist rootless intellectual who hid from the nazis and he has two kitchens and cannot eat the bacon sandwich properly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

why does he talk like a cbeebies presenter at story time

the dickhead quit because boris wouldn't let him do austerity

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Cimber posted:

Think of it like the Dean Scream. A completely normal and irrelevant thing seized on by the media and drilled into people as being Bad, so that when you protest that it's normal, irrelevant and blown up by the media, you look like the idiot. (And doubly irrelevant as neither Dean nor Ed were gonna win anyway.)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cimber posted:

It was thinly veiled anti-semitism (the actual not fictitious kind) - making pig's breakfast out of the bacon sarnie, two kitchens, metropolitan elites and all that.

Funny how all that is good-natured political journalism but opposing Isreali policies is vile antisemitism.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 8, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cimber posted:

He's ethnically Jewish, so the fact that our delightful press focused on an incident involving a bacon sandwich is unlikely to be a coincidence. Especially when they also did this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cimber posted:

You will never get anywhere in british journalism with that attitude.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Half a mil lmao https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1545440413644906496

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also yes as others have noted there was a huge amount of nudge wink stuff that is kind of hard not to read as antisemitism when you put it all in a heap, from the papers who then went on to scream about jeremy corbyn antisemitically attending the wrong seder and not doing everything the mega tory chief rabbi told him to.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If Ed Miliband had won in 2015, would Labour still be in power today?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Cameron ate a hotdog with a loving knife and fork and didn't get any of the abuse that Ed got for that bacon sandwich.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he had won in 2015 that would be describing a fundamentally different reality, there were a lot of factors that caused him to lose (only five years previously labour had been plunging, screaming into the void under the administration of blair and brown who absolutely tanked votes every year they were in power and milliband was nothing different from that fomula, the lib dems getting into bed with the tories utterly cratered their vote from what had been a historic high in no small part to people who were sick of labour's authoritarianism and general shittiness (charlie kennedy was the left wing option throughout a lot of the last labour government and probably the best leader the lib dems ever had, I would say pour one out for him but it would only dilute the alcohol content of his corpse) as they promised to end tuition fees and instead gave us a tory government and plastic bag taxes) and also if cameron hadn't won in 2015 there would be no brexit referendum which has cast a very long shadow over all subsequent politics in the UK.

So, that question is utterly unanswerable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 8, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's also an argument that Ed Miliband listened to the usual morons within Labour about how to run a campaign until far too late.
He actually came close to being personable in the last few weeks before polling day, and it's possible he would have done better if he'd shown that side of himself earlier. For most of his time as leader he gave the impression he'd just walked into the wrong room and didn't know what he was doing there.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I think Ed *could* have been different, but was surrounded by people like Balls and Coyle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is possible, I would continue to maintain that they had the same effect on corbyn, the institutional machine of the labour party is fearsome in its insidiousness and also how utterly loving abysmal it is at doing politics.

So yes it is possible that milliband could have taken the party in a different direction, had he not been exposed to that, but that again is assuming a materially different labour party in a materially different world that would be needed to produce it. Also you get into the issue of if someone is exposed to that for long enough and internalizes the ideas, at what point are they just... that? Just a collection of bad influences coalesced into a person who goes on to reproduce them in others?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1545372531552575488

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also you get into the issue of if someone is exposed to that for long enough and internalizes the ideas, at what point are they just... that? Just a collection of bad influences coalesced into a person who goes on to reproduce them in others?
A Blairite becomes a Blairite through other Blairites.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

A Blairite becomes a Blairite through other Blairites.

Everyone becomes what they are because of the same process. Although ideally tonty blair isn't involved if at all possible. But yeah I don't mean that as a unique thing about the labour party, it's a poltiics thing and a social thing generally. We are a product of all the stuff around us, and in politics particularly people become like those they spend time with and most of the people in politics are garbage people, who make other garbage people. I have the politics I do because of spending time here, if I didn't I would have different ones.

There are potentially inflection points where big slips and changes can occur, which can then reshape the structures underpinning them, but for the most part it's just horrible social inertia all the way.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Tories go on a lot about 'personal responsability' so i think its important to loudly point out that their leader happily went shagging around while his wife was being treated for cancer and won't reveal how many children he has to pay child support to.

Authoritarians secretly love when their leaders do this unscrupulous poo poo because they see scruples as weakness and like to root for the "winning" team.

A heterosexual man having extramarital affairs with women is shithead behaviour but it’s the fun, cheeky kind of scandal to other shitheads. The personal responsibility argument would just say that’s his personal business.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 8, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Who the gently caress is Bill Wiggin?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Yeah, good idea. Definitely a normal organisation that shut down in 2015 for very innocent reasons. Why wouldn't you just start a new organisation?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Can imagine rishi tories beating keirs Labour even worse than 2019 to be honest

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In terms of apparently competence he probably beats keir, the issue would be his association with boris and also his utter inability to help anyone, while keir of course can claim he will without any explanation or intention of doing so.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

jiggerypokery posted:

Can imagine rishi tories beating keirs Labour even worse than 2019 to be honest

I think they know that the economy is going to get worse and that will make the next election very hard to win whoever is in charge. If they thought the next election was winnable they probably would have gotten rid of boris a long time ago.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Tory lite vs the acceptable face of toryism has 0 chance. At least keir vs Boris has tory lite vs car crash which had something going for it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

There are potentially inflection points where big slips and changes can occur, which can then reshape the structures underpinning them, but for the most part it's just horrible social inertia all the way.

To which point would you go back with a time machine to help Ed? You have one use of the machine and you come out naked like in Terminator.