Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's not illegal, immoral, or inappropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh I thought it was something like "why don't you talk about code with someone who cares."

The sv_projectiles cvar is not present in version 3.20, the last official patch released in October 1998. So it wasn't removed for the source code release (which is called 3.21), it was removed back when people were still heavily playing the game. I wasn't thinking about asking but now I'm kind of curious about when and why the special projectile netcode was removed.

edit: 3.16 patch notes:

quote:

- Fixed player 'warping' present in 3.15 (this was an artifact of the hyperblaster optimizations).

I'm wondering if the fix was to just remove the changes?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 6, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“To win the game, you must explain my netcode to me, John Carmack”

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Icon of Ping

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but has anyone here tried the GZDOOM mod "Hands of Necromancy"?? I really miss games like Hexen and Heretic as far as weapons available and the different character classes you could use and stat builds. Game worth trying out?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Jiro posted:

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but has anyone here tried the GZDOOM mod "Hands of Necromancy"?? I really miss games like Hexen and Heretic as far as weapons available and the different character classes you could use and stat builds. Game worth trying out?

Also curious, I've had the steam page for it open in a tab for like a week now. I'd just buy it but I don't think my potato computer would run it right now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Also curious, I've had the steam page for it open in a tab for like a week now. I'd just buy it but I don't think my potato computer would run it right now.

There's a demo on the steam page?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Convex posted:

There's a demo on the steam page?

Oh, I don't remember having seen that, downloading it.

Edit: Well that is a slideshow. Nice music, SFX, and art from what bit I played. Back to looking at the browser tab from time to time.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 7, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jiro posted:

I've just bought this based off the demo, so cheers for mentioning it!!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

dr_rat posted:

And honestly what's the worst that could happen? He calls you an idoit and challenges you to a cyberspace code off to the death?

Big whoop.

There would be no great honour!

But seriously, Carmack would love it too

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Holy hell: a ton of old Halo 1 and 2 cut materials are getting restored by a mod team and officially released for Master Chief Collection modders to play with. Including that E3 demo map.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
og rts total conversion when

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is OG Call of Duty 1 on Steam known for having stability issues? I'm having the game crash constantly and it's forcing me to save-scum so I don't miss tons of progress for fear that the game will crash at a moment's notice. No warning, no error messages, just back to the desktop. I'm near the beginning of the Soviet campaign where you have to snipe Nazi officers and it's crashing constantly. I tried checking the Steam discussions for any sort of stability patch or fan-made tweak or other suggestions and I'm coming up dry.

I'd really like to finish this game because shooting Nazis is fun as hell but if it's going to crash every 8 seconds then I just don't think I can stick with it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1545145634734456832

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/radiatoryang/status/1545190278914768896

This looks nice.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What is the Quake version of the Cacowards? The Shubchievements?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Shambies?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Brown Awards for Being Brown.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

There's a whole lot of games that would win that over Quake

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

HROT gonna sweep

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Golden Timbs.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mordja posted:

I won that as soon as I was born. Checkmate. :smug:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

There's a whole lot of games that would win that over Quake

Gears of War and Clive Barker's Jericho, for example

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, real-time tone mapping let games hit levels of brown indexed palettes can only dream of

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

A.o.D. posted:

What is the Quake version of the Cacowards? The Shubchievements?

The Fuzzies, named after the Shambler's canonical design.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Gears of War and Clive Barker's Jericho, for example

Gears of War is really grey, more noticeable on the remaster (remake?) version. Of course it has the browns too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gears isn’t totally brown and gray. There’s some yellow too when you go underground.:)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The Shamb d'Or

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

The Shamb d'Or

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Gears isn’t totally brown and gray. There’s some yellow too when you go underground.:)

The color of all that juice

There are also some blue bits to show that it is night. Gears 1 has basically the color palette of Nosferatu

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

MJBuddy posted:

The Shamb d'Or

:golfclap:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

The Shamb d'Or

:discourse:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MJBuddy posted:

The Shamb d'Or

:discourse:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
What's peoples take on The Citadel? I just got done playing it and really enjoyed the aesthetic and the heavy mood the game set up, along with the very nice spritework. Whole thing felt like DOOM meets Marathon, which was a nice surprise considering I picked it up blind during the Steam sale.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
I tried the demo out some time ago and it was a pretty neat concept but I couldn't get past the crying loli guro aesthetic

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I never played it because it skeeved me right the gently caress out

Edit: Also the entire game appears to be the same blue/gray color.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah it's just insanely gross

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I love gore and want games to have more messed up gore systems but that game made my skin crawl as soon as I saw it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_8pVrnWqE

Also:

https://twitter.com/distorto54/status/1545138344895602695

Re: Citadel

Yeeah buddy there's a big difference between violence/gore as spectacle and something that clearly makes the creator Feel Some Kind Of Way.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

I love gore and want games to have more messed up gore systems but that game made my skin crawl as soon as I saw it.

Whats the deal with this game? Is it ‘real gore’ inspired like Brutal Doom?

Also the best blood splatter effect was the cerebral bore in Turok 2, everything since has been a downgrade